Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rags to Riches quickest money making in your opinon

Hey all! So I was wondering what, in your opinion, is the best way to make money when doing a rags to riches challenge (the way I play, you start on a lot with a tent and $100, can't have a proper job until you have $5000 in reserve and a house with at least a bed, sink, fridge, shower, counter, toilet). I'm pretty set in my ways of harvesting plants for food/harvesting honey to consign/fishing but I want to know if you all have another way of quickly gaining money that I haven't bothered to since since I usually only do gardening-esque things :)

Comments

• Options
    AmiutzaAmiutza Posts: 1,796 Member
    When I want quick money, I have a Sim paint. Their skill levels up quite fast and the paintings sell for thousands.
    hhHD2XB.png
    My tumblr - A world of clutter and color
  • Options
    blacksheba1973blacksheba1973 Posts: 20,326 Member
    I have my sims paint for a living too. :smile:
    YShQCz1.png
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Dumpster diving can make your sim some money. I've had sims pull out expensive sofas, TVs, grills, and the $1400 fortune cookie maker from World Adventures.

Collecting anything (wild flowers especially) is a very easy way to make money.

If you can save up enough to make a trip to Egypt, you can do adventures until you get enough visa points and ancient coins and then purchase the Tears of Horus. That shows you all the excavation sites which can quickly make a sim rich though digging up relics and the occasional gem and metal.

One of the NRaas mods, Careers possibly, will pay your sims for doing handiness upgrades to community lot objects. I had a homeless sim make money that way once. It's kind of slow though, the pay isn't great.
  • Options
    BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    edited June 2015
    Investments in business/property will get you stinking rich before you know it.

Do a little fishing or collecting during the week and combine your take from that with what you make from your current investments.
    You start small of course ... Then buy and upgrade every piece of purchasable property in town.
    Some clubs in Bridgeport will bring in 36,000 a week by themselves once upgraded.
    Even in a place like Sunset Valley you can make half a million a week in investment returns once everything is upgraded.

Plus ... Once you are invested in a few businesses they do all the work for you.
    All your Sim really has to do to be stinking rich is collect the money on Monday at 09:00.
    Your Sim can do whatever they want all week except for the two seconds they spend on the computer collecting their money every week.

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    pigletbaby82pigletbaby82 Posts: 72 Member
    Flower picking (especially cosmos flowers, they a whopping $600 a pop) its worth getting the hayfever for lol. Also the crane machine throws money bags at you and it costs nothing to play, builds up their fun too :)
  • Options
    InfoseekenInfoseeken Posts: 176 Member
    edited June 2015
    If you have Roaring Heights, you can buy the Classically Cool Fixer-upper Car for around $400 simoleons. Fix it up and sell it to gain a whopping near $40,000 simoleons each. Wash, rinse and repeat as often as you like...you'll get rich without ever having to work a job.

If you have Lucky Palms, you can wish for wealth at the Wishing Well. It costs $1 per wish, but if you're lucky you can get an expensive car--sell it. It'll also at times throw a good chunk of change back at you, so you'll be able to continue wishing and not go broke.
    Fishing for Deathfish is also very lucrative, and you can catch them in the Wishing Well at any time of the day, any day.

Rummaging through rich Sims' trash can also be very profitable, but if you go that route it's best to have a slob Sim to avoid the nausea. Same with Dumpster Diving that TreyNutz mentioned, you'll want a slob Sim for them as well.

If you have patience, the Nectar maker can reel in some great simoleons. But it takes time to allow the nectar to age in your cellar. The Amazing nectar, after aging for at least four weeks, can rake in $4000-$8000 per bottle at the Consignment Store. The longer you let it age, the more valuable. Should you go the nectar route, it's best to have and run at minimum two Nectar machines. Also, having 'perfect' fruits is a must for the highest profits.
    Post edited by Infoseeken on
  • Options
    Infoseeken wrote: »
    If you have patience, the Nectar maker can reel in some great simoleons. But it takes time to allow the nectar to age in your celler. The Amazing nectar, after aging for at least four weeks, can rake in $4000-$8000 per bottle at the Consignment Store. The longer you let it age, the more valuable. Should you go the nectar route, it's best to have an run at minimum two nectar machines. Also, having 'perfect' fruits is a must for the highest profits.

Yeah ... Nectar is great at also giving you a steady income, quick returns and enough to get stinking rich.
    Once your skills are up, you meet a few of the challenges and have the right fruits ... You can make bottles of nectar that come out of the machine at more than 700 Simoleons each.

You can get to a point that you make 3 bottles of "flavor enhanced", "concentrated" nectar per batch.
    Sell two bottles right off the bat, then store 1 bottle out of the batch for long-term gains.

The better the individual bottle of nectar is ... The more and quicker it grows in value.
    One really awesome bottle of nectar made with the right fruits will get you more money than 20 sorry bottles of nectar in the long-run.

Plus ... Nectar is an easy way to achieve a pant load of Lifetime Reward Points.
    Not just the little stuff that you get from making so many bottles ... But when you have cellared nectar to a valuable price.
    You get stacking wishes that involve drinking expensive nectars that can top out at over 10,000 LRP's a pop.

Once you cycle through them ... Wait a few days, pop the cork on another bottle of nectar and cycle through them again.
    It won't be long and the only Lifetime Rewards you can buy will be the reoccurring ones.
    I have a nectar making Sim walking around with 480,000 LRP's because there is nothing else she wants to spend them on or doesn't already have.

• Options
    MinxMinx Posts: 1,221 Member
    Werewolf hunting is quick. Smelt the metals, cut the gems and sell them at the consignment shop... Then I'd pick painting. Painting is always nice. But gathering even as just a a non-werewolf is profitable.
  • Options
    InfoseekenInfoseeken Posts: 176 Member
    @BlackSand Yup, you got it! That's what I do as well. Sometimes those wishes may take a bit of time to come true, but it's well worth the wait. And there have been at times where I'd either have to cancel a wish in light of a greater one, or just let the wish vanish due to having better ones already selected. Those Sims do like having their wishes when it comes to Nectar, drinking AND making it. :)
  • Options
    br560br560 Posts: 1,836 Member
    I find dumpster diving the funniest way.
    Br560.
    Playing the sims since 2012
  • Options
    veiledstarveiledstar Posts: 587 Member
    Besides the above mentioned, marry a really rich sim in town. I haven't played that challenge, so I don't know the rules on marrying sims.

Also, you can get the miner from the inventing skill and get a bunch of gems that way, then cut them at the elixir shop.
    NraasSignature.png
  • Options
    Lots of great tips in this thread. Thanks for sharing everyone. I'll have to bookmark this for later. :smile:

**You know I don't play a lot, because I always have my sim go out and pick up their money from owning businesses. :blush:
    YShQCz1.png
  • Options
    **You know I don't play a lot, because I always have my sim go out and pick up their money from owning businesses. :blush:

You know you can use a computer, laptop and your phone to collect all the money from your businesses.
    Just select "Check Real Estate" on any device ... One tab at the bottom is for collecting money and the other tabs will rename or sell your business.

So you really don't have to go anywhere or spend any Sim time at all to collect your money from businesses.
    Good Luck and Happy Simming.

• Options
    BlackSand wrote: »

You know you can use a computer, laptop and your phone to collect all the money from your businesses.
    Just select "Check Real Estate" on any device ... One tab at the bottom is for collecting money and the other tabs will rename or sell your business.

So you really don't have to go anywhere or spend any Sim time at all to collect your money from businesses.
    Good Luck and Happy Simming.

Thank you. I'm always learning something about this game. Happy simming to you as well. :smile:

YShQCz1.png
  • Options
    cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    edited June 2015
    There are 2 ways that I have my sims start off with to make money without cheating. It does require some intial money to start with though.

Gardening
    1. Sunday read a gardening book to acquire the skill to level 1. (Very important step.)
    2. Travel to China (does require about $1300, can't remember the exact amount).
    3. Every day for those 3 days harvest from Han's Orcard. In spare time your sim can increase other skills, go on adventures, meet sims, etc.
    4. When you get back sell all produce except the very best of each kind. Will pay for trip plus some.
    5. Your sim will be at level 5 of gardening unless they have the greenthumb trait. Then they will be at level 6.
    6. Get their gardening skill up to level 7 by Wed so that they can collect and plant special seeds when they are spawned by then. Hope for life plants, money trees and flame fruit.
    7. Also plant the coffee beans from University.

Enroll in University
    1. This requires initial money to pay for tuition. Also edit the uni town before starting and add a nice small house that your student can rent so they don't have to put up with roommates. It can be well decorated and have a fast car that they can use. Your student will then rent it so will need initial money for that too.
    2. Sunday at 8 AM go to the admin building and apply for additional funds. You will only get $2500 because your grade at this point is a C. Each day apply for funds. You can't apply again until 24 hours after receiving your money. So on Monday you will not be able to apply until 8:30 of 8:45 AM. Getting funds must be worked into to your student's class schedule.
    3. You will get more money if your grades are higher until Friday after exams your student will get $5000 if they have an A.
    4. To get your grades up
    - nothing done on Sunday will add to your grades so socialize, take skill classes, etc.
    - M-F go to class and suck up to the professors, study from book in backpack, use class skill object.
    - some other activities will also get your grade up. for example for the arts degrees leveling cooking, even watch cooking channel, painting, etc
    5. At the end of a week your student should make over $20000. It is best to sign up for 2 weeks though because they can apply for additional funds on the Sat bwteeen terms too and they will start off the second week making $4900+ from a deteriorated A rather than $2500 from a C.

Once my sims have some money they usually invest in partnerships while they "live" on community lots until they're ready to settle down.
  • Options
    ZeriZeri Posts: 15,073 Member
    i have various methods of gaining wealth in a new save game. sometime ill go to world adventures and collect some loot. artifacts and gems can get you a pretty penny. if i have a large lot, i can also adopt a horse for free, race him a few times, (and/or breed him) and sell him at the equestrian center. free money right there. also scuba diving. you can get a ton of loot doing that, and there are treasure chest on some lots too.
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    If you have seasons, pick and sell the flowers. Self-employment is also allowed. I made my sim a photographer after she saved up enough money for a trip from picking flowers.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    it can also help to adopt a dog and train it to hunt for gems.
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    killersweetpea1killersweetpea1 Posts: 38 Member
    These are pretty great ideas that I'll have to use next time, thanks everyone!
    Happy simming :)
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,930 Member
    edited June 2015
    Consigning harvestables if the sim is in the gardening career is extremely profitable. They get the money from selling them, then tens of thousands of simoleans in bonuses.

EDIT: I always consign at the Humble Harvest Stands. I don't know if the consignment store is as generous
  • Options
    AbellaKellaherAbellaKellaher Posts: 852 Member
    edited June 2015
    Fastest way I've seen to make money besides gathering in World Adventure places is getting an instrument to lvl 5 (which can be done in a day) and then playing for tips in the subway if you have Late Night. If your town doesn't have a subway you can always add one.

I usually go like this: spend starting household funds on the really good bed and shower. Go to park, pick and sell flowers, buy a guitar and practice at the park (free food and raises social/relationships if sims stop to listen.) When it's time to sleep, I stop by city hall on the way home and register as self employed. Sleep, wake, shower, repeat if necessary. Once lvl 5 you'll make a ton of $ playing for tips in the subway. By the second day you'll be making thousands at a stretch.