Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Deal

The Deal

Alice had been waiting for what was coming every day since graduation. Her father had been busy with work and hadn’t had much time to go over what was in store for her now that high school was no longer on the calendar. It had been easy on her growing up, with wealthy parents and enough siblings to fade into the woodwork, but now it was her turn to step up. She had skated through high school putting in minimal effort and her grades showed it. Her older siblings had gone to college, but Alice seriously doubted she would do well on that route. Her heart almost stopped when she heard the front door shut and then her father.

Carl was a hard man, business through and through. He didn’t mince words and he always had the highest expectation for his children. Alice heard him speak to her mother, “Where is she, it’s about time we talk … No putting it off any longer?”

Her mother then hesitated, Alice had always been a good child, just not as outgoing as the others … “She’s in her room. Go easy on her Carl. She just doesn’t know what she is going to do.”

Carl replied, “Been too easy for too long … Time to decide.”

She was worried a little when her father came through the door, although he had always had a soft spot for his “Peanut”. There was concern and disappointment in his eyes, but also a determination that Alice knew would mean there would be little to argue about. He plopped down on the bed next to her … She fought back tears, fears and the desire to run out the door.

“There is no easy way to put this Peanut”, he started, “but it is time for you to get moving. Your mother and I have made it clear for a long time that high school is when you decide what you are going to do. Well that time is over and I am certain you still don’t have a clue. You are smart, but you don’t apply yourself. You are pretty, but you make no effort to have friends. I am not spending money to send you to University if your performance in school has been any indication of what you will do there.”

Alice knew it was killing him, she could hear a slight tremble in the back of his throat as he paused to take a breath and think. He looked worried, but still maintained his resolve. Alice simply remained silent. There were no excuses … There was no valid reason to plead for mercy. She had known this was coming since her first day of high school when he had laid down the law. Her father cleared his throat and slowly began to speak again.

“I’ll tell you what I am going to do. You aren’t staying here any longer, we have made it too easy for you. I am not so cold that I am going to just throw you out on the street with nothing.” Alice was certain he was struggling by now but tried not to cry knowing he couldn’t keep it together if she turned on the waterworks. The least she could do was give him a chance.

“My parents, Pop and Lulu … They were gone before you were born. They died in a house fire in a small town upstate called Hidden Springs. Their place is long gone, but the property is still there. I am willing to buy you a bus ticket to Hidden Springs if you go up there for a little while, figure out what you are going to do. I’ll give you a little traveling money. Little enough to keep you out of trouble. Take the tent and gear we have out in the garage.” He smiled and continued, “I’ll keep paying for your cell phone for a month or so, but you are going to have to find something to tide over for the rest.”

Alice was scared to death, but she was ready to do anything to get out of her room at the moment. The tension was thick, she had a hard time catching her breath and she could hear her heartbeat pounding in her ears. Alice wanted to fight back, think of something, or talk to her mother … Anything that might offer a different outcome. Sleeping in a tent, having to get a job and work with strangers … She was certain a panic attack was coming.

Her father gave Alice a moment to let things sink in before he finished, “There’s one more thing, and don’t make me regret it. If you make a solid go of it … And I mean put some effort into it until I come up to see you later this year … I will outright give you the property to do with it what you want. If nothing else it has a great view of the bay and some half-way decent fishing.”

To anyone else, they may have dismissed it, but Alice knew her father was being serious about the property. Carl Kinner didn’t joke about business or money. Her parents had sent her siblings off to University, but they have never made them an offer like that. Alice’s head began to spin as she tried to think of what she could in Hidden Springs. She had to make this work … It was her opportunity to succeed, her second chance.

“I know you can do it Peanut”, her father said before getting up to go eat. “Wash up, come get some dinner, pack some stuff and get to bed early tonight. I’ll pack up the stuff in the garage and take you to the bus station in the morning. Just remember, I know you can do it.”

Kinner%20001_zpsjils8fkh.jpg

Alice Kinner

Traits:
Angler
Commitment Issues
Socially Awkward
Loser
Green Thumb

Lifetime Wish:
Swimming In Cash

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA

Comments

• Options
    MinxMinx Posts: 1,221 Member
    Ooooo. I Like this. Sounds interesting. I already like Alice!
  • Options
    SilentWolf101SilentWolf101 Posts: 3,898 Member
    I didn't know if you wanted us to comment on here or not, but I guess somebody else already did, so what the hay.
    I LOVE IT! (As I say again)...
    ~Open your mind before your mouth~
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
    Come Join The Mafia! | Monthly Simlit Story Challenges
  • Options
    BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    edited June 2015
    Kinner%20002_zpsocwfz1qg.jpg
    Heaven

The bus ride was not that long, but gave Alice time to wonder as well as worry about her predicament. A few times she thought about jumping up, running to the bus driver and begging just to be let off the bus. Slowly, she began to understand getting off the bus wouldn’t solve anything … There was nowhere else to go. Her father had made it clear and given her a chance. She had put everything off before, but now the deadline had passed. The man in the seat in front her turned around and glanced her way. She quickly turned to look out the window trying not to think of the implications of “deadline”.

What was Hidden Springs going to be like … How was she going to get by without knowing anyone? Alice had always had trouble getting to know folks at home. Anxiety would build when she was around people and it only made things worse. This was going to be horrible, but she began to understand that this was all her parents could do. It was time for Alice to take on some responsibility. The shallow hills passing by slowly gave way to steeper rises and she could see a few peaks advancing on the horizon. Little towns with overly cute names like Littleton marched by as the bus drew ever closer to Hidden Springs.

That afternoon the bus finally pulled into Hidden Springs. Alice was taken back for a moment by the quaint little town. She thought of what a wonderful place it would obviously be … If of course it was not the place of her impending doom. The bus driver helped her get her gear from under the bus and stacked everything on the sidewalk. Hidden Springs didn’t have a large metro bus station. Alice was standing on the corner of main street, in a town where she knew no one, with everything she now owned stacked on the curb.

It didn’t help that the bus had let her off at the grocery store. It was busy even for a Sunday afternoon. People wandering around, riding bicycles and visiting the small businesses kept glancing her way. Alice just stood there, not really knowing for how long, frozen in fear. She knew she needed to get out to her grandparent's old property, but the anxiety robbed her senses. She was embarrassed, to be standing there next to her life in a few boxes and bags. She was terrified of the idea someone may actually start laughing.

No one laughed, although there may have been a few odd looks. After what seemed to be an eternity of indecision and anxiety strong enough that Alice thought she was going to pass out, she noticed a young man walking her way grinning ear to ear. At first she took solace in the idea that soon everything would be over. She would pass out dying from a heart attack, everyone in town would pick over her belongings and they would throw her dead body in the river. Then she noticed that the grin was not necessarily the menacing type she had grown used to back home. It didn’t look like this young man was going to spill her books down the hallway, or make fun of her at all. It was a genuine smile, his teeth were even straight and not snarled into fangs.

The man ducked his head a little to get within definite eyeshot of Alice. When they came, his words were pleasant, measured and cautious like there was some actual concern behind them. “Hey sweetheart”, he started, “are you lost … can I help you with something?”

Hard clicking sounds came from the back of her throat as Alice tried to answers. She wondered if she could say anything and was certain anything she said would be wrong. She wasn’t quite sure when she had last breathed, and her head began to rock up and down as she tried to inhale. Oh she wanted to cry. She wanted to die right about then, but unfortunately that wasn’t happening either.

Not really sure if Alice was nodding to affirm the question of being lost, but certain she didn’t look well at all, the young man went ahead and took charge, “Yeah, well young lady, whatever the problem may be, I think you need to sit down on this bench before I have to catch you to keep you from cracking your head open on the sidewalk.”

He reached out to give Alice a hand and she managed to extend her arm to receive his assistance. Her hand was shaking and as they moved towards the bench, she had a stiff walk. “Oh my goodness”, she thought as she tried to get her legs to move, “This man must think I am an invalid or prematurely aged”. He gently coaxed her to the bench and once she was securely deposited, he turned to investigate the mound of gear on the sidewalk.

Looking around, he soon noticed someone familiar, “Hey Kelsey, give me a hand with some of this stuff. We can at least get it out of the way so someone doesn’t stumble over it.”

Another young gentleman came to assist the first guy and they soon had stacked Alice’s pile of gear around the end of the bench. Alice was breathing a little better by then, but was still embarrassed she had drawn so much attention. The only thing she was certain of was the fact that people here didn’t mind giving a hand to someone they didn’t know. Once finished moving the gear, the first man returned to his newly self-appointed charge.

“Okay, let’s take this slow and see if we can help you out”, he started in again. It seemed as though the guy named Kelsey was equally curious about the new arrival and stayed to see how this story was going to come out. “My name is Nicholas Riverhawk, but you can call me Nick”, then pointing at the other man, “and this is Kelsey Ramos, and I would prefer you never call him again”.

His words were kind as before, but he seemed to be waiting for some response. Deterred by the fact that a simple joke wasn’t working. He gazed into Alice’s eyes looking for any indication she was not having medical difficulties. This made for an awkward moment as Alice was trying to speak. Her words sputtered and Nick’s attempt to make sense of the noises, made him look like a bobble doll following her movements. The thought made her smile and Nick seemed to take this as a good sign.

Alice finally spit out an introduction and partial explanation, “Alice Kinner, from Watertown and I am in town for at least the summer.”

Relieved that the young lady was able to speak, Nick jumped right in, “Well Alice Kinner from Watertown and honored guest of Hidden Springs for the summer … I am not sure how to tell you this, but a pretty young lady like yourself standing on the street corner with a sleeping bag may draw the wrong kind of attention even here. Lucky for you we found you before Officer Harding who we generally refer to as Barney … Like as in Barney Fife in our little Mayberry.

Alice grinned at the joke and immediately became more comfortable as Kelsey chimed in, “Kinner … That’s an old family name from around these parts. I think it was Pop that built and opened the Diner years ago. They passed in a house fire when I was just a baby, but people still talk about his wife Lulu’s apple pie. You any relation to those Kinner’s?”

To her surprise Alice noticed two things in an instant. The first being that Nick had called her pretty and the second was the fact her dead grandparents had just reached out of their grave to help the granddaughter they had never known. She was certainly thankful that Pop had opened the Diner and that her grandmother could make delicious pies. It also dawned on her that no one here knew who she was, or better yet, who she had been in Watertown. That was all past tense never to be the same, and Alice was going to have to get by in Hidden Springs. So far, the whole experience had been horrifying and traumatic, but Alice also realized it wasn’t the fault of anyone in her new town. Maybe this was a place for a second chance … Her chance to shine.

“Yes, Pop and Lulu were my grandparents”, Alice replied, “and I will be staying at their old property. I have to thank you guys for giving me a hand. Let’s just say I have had a rough day and leave it at that. I need to get a few things from inside, and I will move my stuff out of everyone’s way when I have done that.”

Nick spoke up, “The Kinner place is out on the edge of town, and not really marked in any way. While you get the stuff you need, Kelsey and I will hunt up someone with a truck. We will take you out there and help you get set up.” He smiled again like he had a secret of monstrous proportions before adding, “I mean it is really a dump, but perhaps you can make a go of it.”

The three new friends traveled out to the property for the first time and Alice immediately knew what Nick’s secret was. As they eased down the road through town and out into the country, the scenery changed. The river valley gave way to steeper terrain spotted with large fir trees as the sun began to ease behind the mountains to the west. To Alice’s surprise, the truck began to slow down and finally stopped by a large field that looked out onto the bay.

For the second time that day Alice was frozen in place unable to talk. She raised a trembling hand to cover her lips as her eyes began to threaten a deluge. Her upper body just quivered as she tried to choke down the lump rising in her throat. Nick’s secret had been his description of the place as a dump. It was almost barren, but probably the most beautiful spot on Earth she had ever seen. As her eyes began to water and she was forced to sniff, the three just sat there for a moment while Alice took in the sight. Barely audible and with labored breath and intention, two words escaped Alice, “Thanks Dad”.

Nick put the truck in park and switched off the key before turning to Alice, “Perhaps I might have been a bit off in my description of the place, but likewise, I am pretty sure your father never told you Heaven was in Hidden Springs. Let’s get you unloaded and set up.”

Kinner%20006_zps3odwtou5.jpg

Post edited by BlackSand on
  • Options
    Minx wrote: »
    Ooooo. I Like this. Sounds interesting. I already like Alice!

Well now Alice has made it to Hidden Springs.
    I cannot guarantee you will remain liking Alice as I am sure things will change throughout the challenge.

Hope you can weed through my long and poor posts (please forgive that fact I do not have an editor).
    things should get to hopping a little more once I have brought everything up to speed with where I am in the challenge.

Thanks for the kind comments and have a lovely day.

• Options
    I didn't know if you wanted us to comment on here or not, but I guess somebody else already did, so what the hay.
    I LOVE IT! (As I say again)...

It is fine to post in this thread ... I think it is easy enough to spot the walls of text the story consists of.
    I always encourage others to post and share whenever the desire strikes them ... So here is no different.

Thanks for the kind comments ... And the recognition/kudos in you own thread.
    I guess I should have made it clear what the story is associated with, but what fun is that if you know what is going to happen?

• Options
    @BlackSand Since the idea was inspired by yours, I felt I owed you the credit. :)
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Kinner%20018_zpsopota9ha.jpg

The Grind

Alice was in no rush that morning and hadn’t even stirred before noon. She had spent a little time the night before, after fishing the graveyard, to straighten up her campsite for the big day ahead. Unlike the rest of the summer before today, she wouldn’t be fishing. It was Judgement Day so to say … Her father was coming up to check on her and see how things had gone.

When Alice first arrived in Hidden Springs, the idea of facing her father today would have scared her to death, but today was a different story. She had taken the chance her father had provided and turned it into a load of new opportunities. Opportunities that would never have materialized had she fallen back into her old ways. That wasn’t the case though, and as Autumn was quickly approaching, she was certain she had put the summer months to good use. If things went well with her father today, then she would be able to move on to bigger things here in Hidden Springs.

Kinner%20020_zpsavxmhymt.jpg

Most of Alice’s summer could be best described as a steady grind. Day in and day out she fished until her fingers bled. What time she wasn’t fishing, she spent securing deals with merchants. It was a dull steady drill every day, and she always fought off the desire to just sit down. This was her chance, she wasn’t going to lose this time. Rain or shine, it didn’t matter. One evening during a particularly rough patch of weather she was even struck by lightning. It was late and there were orders that needed filling … Alice got back to work and fished right through until morning.

When Alice got off the bus in Hidden Springs, her ideas of how she was going to make it were much different. She thought she would get a simple job at the bookstore or waiting tables at the diner. Neither had worked out well to say the least. When she had visited the bookstore to apply for a job the proprietor was busy with a customer. This had only made her more nervous. She wandered around the store trying to find anything that would help stop her fidgeting. Roaming the bookracks she found herself in a section marked “Self Help”. Alice thought about the label and how pathetic she was at the moment … How suiting it was to be wandering in the self-help section.

When the owner was finished and free for a moment, he had turned his attention to Alice. He was a pleasant man, but a stranger in any case, “Can I help you miss? I mean you are in the self-help department, but that doesn’t mean I cannot lend you a hand.”

Alice had pondered the words for a moment, and the idea of working in such a public place. She was going to have a hard time answering the man, working the store would be a nightmare. She had quickly come to the conclusion that this was not going to work at all, and there wasn’t even a good reason to visit the Diner. After snatching a few random books off the shelf she replied, “No sir, I think I have what I need. This will do just fine.”

She had run home from the store, losing herself in the steady cadence of her bare feet hitting the pavement. Things were starting to make a little more sense. She slowly became more in tune with the world around her. This was the place she needed to be … Outdoors!

Kinner%20010_zps2qbbilmc.jpg

Alice happened upon the idea of fishing for a living by chance. There was plenty of good fishing in Hidden springs, and some of the best right off her property. After days of eating nothing but roasted apples she thought she would give it a try breaking out the fishing gear her father had packed. It wasn’t new, but it was sturdy and good. Alice went to a small pond at the base of the falls in town that day and started throwing a lure. Time after time she missed fish, other times she caught more of what she would have considered bait. Finally towards the end of the day, Alice caught a nice rainbow trout. A fish had never tasted so good.

The next morning when she had called Nick to check in, she asked him about the local fishing. He had given her a few tips and clued her into some bait choices. The following day produced much better results. While Alice had a wide range of fish … Swordfish, salmon, sharks and clownfish … She was certain she couldn’t keep them all without spoiling. The next morning she had gone to the grocery and worked out a deal with the meat manager. She left with bait, and a promise to give her a good deal as long as the fish were fresh. Alice had finally made some money … She was on her way to bigger things.

The next few weeks had been a flurry of fishing activities, broken up by hard sleeping nights and returns for more the next day. Soon her catch was too large for the grocery store to handle. She experimented with the consignment shops, but although the prices were good, the purchases were not steady. She would get great deals the day she turned over her catch, but what hadn’t sold that day would drop in value and bring less return overall. At one point, a regional supplier had purchased some fish Alice had caught, and it wasn’t long until she was doing business directly with him. Every morning he would send by a truck and purchase all she had. Every week the prices got better and better.

Kinner%20011_zpsx71tslgx.jpg

The whole summer Alice had only bought one thing other than bait. She had lived in her tent and used the outdoor toilet and shower without complaint. Eating apples and a fish or two at times, she had saved almost everything. About the third week in, Alice had bought an old Army surplus motorcycle. It was rusted and far from new, but it made traveling to the fishing sites or dealers much faster. She spent almost every day fishing and every morning making more money for her catch. She never calculated the proceeds, it wasn’t about what she could buy now.

Everything rested on what she could show her father at the end of summer. After everything was straight around the camp, Alice opened the banking and business program on her phone as she sat down next to the burn pit. All summer she had just been in the receiving ledger. She had entered each day’s record and swiped the dealer’s card. She knew there was a great deal of money there, but she wasn’t exactly sure how much. Until then, until that day … She hadn’t wanted to know. She set the records to calculating and just in time to see her father’s car rounding the bend coming from town.

She glanced down at the overall count as her father pulled up and stopped the car … Alice almost fell out of her chair.

Kinner%20023_zpszo7iktbr.png

Carl got out of the car and stretched for a minute as he wondered why Alice had not come over to greet him. She seemed busy with her phone, distracted as usual. As he made his way over to the camp he wondered how this day was going to go. He didn’t see much in the way of improvements, but was simply relieved to know that she was okay. As he got closer he noticed the ratty excuse for a motorcycle parked next to the tent. He shuddered at the idea she was riding one to start with, and it didn’t give him the best feeling.

As he reached the burn pit, he noticed Alice seemed to be in shock. A quick survey of the immediate area and he was settled again not noticing a snake or wild creature in the immediate vicinity. He sat down across from her and asked her in his “all business” voice, “Well Peanut, it looks like you have been eating well enough, do we need to worry about you having to go to work anytime soon?”

He tried to remain calm when all Alice did was slightly shake her head indicating that would not be necessary. All summer had gone by, and he wondered if she had lost her job or worse, not worked at all. He struggled with idea of what would happen if he had to read her the riot act. He quietly hoped there was some silver lining, some mystery not yet revealed that would somehow result in a much more pleasant experience when he returned home to his wife. Slowly he spoke again to his little girl, “So, you didn’t say anything on the phone when I told you I was coming. You know why I am here I am sure. I promised you I would come and see what you have done. Please tell me there is more I am missing. Please let me know you have accomplished more than a fancy outdoor toilet and the rolling deathtrap.” His comments trailed off as he jerked an unsteady hand in the direction of the motorcycle.

Carl sat on the edge of his chair as Alice responded. She never looked up from the phone as she asked, “What was the last thing you said to me at the bus station in Watertown?”

Carl thought for a moment, then answered, “I said the same thing I have said to you a thousand times Peanut. I told you that I knew you could do it.”

“Do you still think I can do it Dad,” Alice asked, as for the first time since he arrived she raised her eyes to meet his.

This startled her father, as he was not used to such a direct question coming from her. Something was different about Alice. He worried that she had not fared well. He wondered again how this was going to go. Sucking up his worry in the best fashion Carl Kinner could, he tried to answer with his heart, “I thought you could do it then, and I hope I wasn’t wrong.”

“Well then dad, you tell me,” Alice stated as she leaned over to pass him the phone. “Is that good enough for Carl Kinner? Did his little Peanut make the cut?”

The statement caught Carl off guard. It was so unlike Alice to behave this way. Never before had she challenged him. He hesitated for a moment wondering what the phone had to do with anything. He probed her face for doubt or some kind of mischief. Neither was present, nor did it look like she was nervous at all. Her steady hand held the phone like a rock and when he didn’t immediately take it, she shook it as if to insist. He could not believe it, Alice was insisting he do something … This was all terribly odd.

Carl finally took the phone and Alice remained silent while her father looked at the screen. His eyes grew large and then a puzzled look crossed his face. No stranger to a business ledger nor how to work modern devices, Alice watched as he thumbed through a few tabs backtracking the information and searching the data. After what seemed to be a laborious moment, he quickly glanced up at Alice and asked, “This is no joke is it sweetheart … All on the up and up?”

“It’s clean and legit dad”, she answered with a little pride but no doubt. “I have been busy this summer, I wanted to take the opportunity you gave me and make something of it.”

Excitement replaced worry in her father’s face as his attention was drawn back to the information concerning her account. Alice sat still and quietly reveled as he thumbed from page to page soaking up the information. He had a business mind, and she knew he was looking for something to help her with. Alice knew that Carl Kinner was the Businessman of the Year for a decade running in Watertown. She also knew that he was as surprised as she had been … And it pleased her.

When Carl finally spoke again, Alice could tell how relieved he was as he smiled like the Cheshire Cat, “Little one, all I can say is that it looks like you held up your end of the deal. I’ll be honest with ya, I’ve looked through most of this just seeing if there is anything I could help you with. From the looks of it, you don’t much need my help. I guess it is about time we talk about my end of the deal.”

“You don’t know how much you have already helped me dad,” Alice interrupted. “I always thought about the deal we made, but I also thought about the second chance you gave me. I cannot thank you enough.”

Carl stood up and suggested, “Let’s get into the car and head to City Hall to transfer the deed. I don’t give a plum what you say … I’m not riding plum on that motorcycle.”

As they walked to car, he told her how proud he was, and commented on the fact she was worth more in liquid assets than her brothers and sister combined. “Do you think you can break away from your busy schedule to at least make it home for Christmas this year,” he asked.

“I wouldn’t miss it for a million bucks this year dad,” Alice replied.

Carl laughed as he added, “At the rate you are going, you could probably afford it even at that price.”

Kinner%20004_zps91mzythz.jpg

• Options
    Awwwwwww how cute. :)
  • Options
    Awwwwwww how cute. :)

Wait until you see the new house Alice built.
    I have almost caught up to the challenge ... One more segment and I should be even*.

Things should change a little when the seasons change.
    In parts of the Fall and Spring, and most of the Winter ... The ponds freeze over which makes catching Deathfish a no-go.
    that should free up a little time to start romancing and making the story more interesting.

*Considering I don't run off into game and knock out the entire Fall season in one sitting.

• Options
    @BlackSand Lol, alright. :) I can't wait to read it!

So, I know I said that I was done playing the challenge for today, but I'm not. I opened up my game, and it must have glitched, and I had like 20,000 dollars in my account... and instead of resetting it, because I don't remember how much I had, I used it to build the beginnings of a real house. I hope that's not a bad thing - it put her back down at less than a thousand dollars, which I know is less than what she had before... I didn't buy any furniture though, just put up walls and pain and flooring....... I feel kind of bad, but I can't go back on it now.
  • Options
    @SilentWolf101 ...
    Just go with the flow ... Work it out and get as close to the rules as your game allows.

• Options
    @BlackSand Cool deal.
  • Options
    Starsaphire2Starsaphire2 Posts: 315 Member
    @BlackSand I love your story and am looking forward to seeing Alice's new house.
  • Options
    @BlackSand I love your story and am looking forward to seeing Alice's new house.

Thanks for the wonderful comments!

Kinner%20054_zpsv62rnp8t.png

Unfortunately ... Alice spent way too much time in the sun while catching fish and has cooked her noodle.
    She is 100% certifiable right about now and lucky enough to be able to feed herself.

But ... On a Lighter Note ... The house looks nice (I think).
    Inside Ground Floor ... Nothing really special, just a place to live.

Kinner%20058_zpsauyhed76.jpg

Kinner%20059_zpsbdqr3ovi.jpg

Kinner%20060_zps23ahjbo3.jpg

Basement ... Includes an Office and a Scientific Facility.
    You may notice she has gained Honorary Degrees in Business and Technology.

Kinner%20055_zpsh2ncohna.jpg

Outside
    ... Pool, pond and exterior garage.
    The pond is stocked with Deathfish and Angelfish to make fishing more accessible.

Kinner%20057_zpsdpklvncb.jpg

Kinner%20056_zpscksngpdl.jpg

Kinner%20061_zpswuqwcxp2.jpg

• Options
    Your house is absolutely beautiful! I could never create something so nice...
  • Options
    Your house is absolutely beautiful! I could never create something so nice...

@SilentWolf101 ...
    Thanks for the compliment.

As for building a house like mine ... You could do it, You just don't know you can.
    All it takes is practice and some simple basics you can learn from observation and asking questions.

Everyone has a house in mind ... You just have to figure out how to use the tools and put it in the game.
    It is all trial and error ... You can do it ... Just be prepared to fail the first 100 times.

• Options
    @BlackSand Thank you. :) *hugs*
  • Options
    GdurmaGdurma Posts: 490 Member
    Great read! I thoroughly enjoyed that!!
  • Options
    Gdurma wrote: »
    Great read! I thoroughly enjoyed that!!

@Gdurma ...
    Thanks ... I am glad you enjoyed it.
    I will write some more when I get around to it.

Have A Lovely Evening.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Kinner%20070_zpsjdxbmmqf.jpg
    Change

Summer’s long days and short nights soon fade into the past as fall takes hold and the temperature drops in Hidden Springs. Alice scrambles to stay ahead of the cold weather and put in as much stock as she can before the season turns ugly and the cold weather puts a damper on some of the game fish available other times of the year. Trading in her old gear for more suitable fishing equipment, Alice tops off the boat for another run in the open water.

Kinner%20071_zps3ww3h5su.jpg

The morning is bright and still promising. Lobsters have been paying off well and there are some spots that remain promising. If Alice can make it through another couple of weeks, this season should go down in the record books for her. Worth well over a million, she has everything she needs to be successful. There is a new house on the property, and diligence has paid off well.

The quality of her catch has provider Alice with opportunities she hadn’t recognized earlier in her life. Good business relationships with the dealers and the local grocery have given her contacts she now has made social acquaintances with. On the social scale … Alice is “hot stock” and rising in value. The people of Hidden Springs appreciate her hard work and dedication … Most comment on how Pop had been the same way. Alice is just thankful she has been able to live up to her family name.

The days are often lonely as she plods on with her work, but that would be expected as other people are equally busy. Over the past few weeks, she has taken the opportunity to stay in touch with Kelsey and Nick. She makes sure to attend whatever functions come around, as she starts trying to really become part of the community. One thing is certain … Alice, is not the same little shy girl who left Watertown. Once scared of her own shadow and more likely to hide in her bedroom … She has realized the benefit of getting out more often. The loneliness has managed to break her loose from the old ways … It is becoming more obvious to Alice that she needs other people.

As dusk falls and she heads back home in the evening … Alice cannot help but thank her father for pushing her out into the world.

Kinner%20072_zpstunkcnos.jpg

Kinner%20073_zpsebqqwfy3.jpg

The housewarming party that Nick had put together really helps Alice as far as getting to know people in the community. The builders had done a good job and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. Alice almost regretted the fact that she had waited so long to put in the house and pool … Soon it would be too cold to go swimming. In any case, she is becoming more and more comfortable with her neighbors. Pierce and Alisha stop by every now and again just for drinks and dinner … A concept that would have blown Alice’s mind just weeks ago. Edelaine sometimes calls her to go out for drinks at the local hangout. That is always interesting as Edelaine is a hoot.

Alice gradually starts thinking about what she is going to do when winter sets in. Sure she can still fish the open water, but she wonders if it will be better to focus on other activities until things warm up in the spring. She has already attended some classes in town … Nothing special, just the type hobby classes the locals put on. Alice has learned to make a few dishes in a cooking class and is past the basics after a class in photography. Everything seems to be opening up for Alice … This is truly her time and her place.

Kinner%20075_zps5ec06qos.jpg

Alice has also started taking online classes with the University, where her business skills have quickly developed. Once through with the day and changed into more comfortable clothes, she splits her time between working either her mind or her body. Alice is convinced that she can use the same determination she has used on the water to explore new opportunities. But still … The one opportunity that has managed to allude her is the prospect of finding a decent man.

She keeps shelving the idea in hopes that it will go away. She knows she has always had commitment issues, and that is something she doesn’t know if she wants to put on someone else in a relationship. Alice has always been more comfortable doing what Alice wants to do … She isn’t sure how adding another spoon to the pot would help out the stew. One thing she does know for sure is that with popularity comes attention. Alice is certain that she won’t have a problem finding a guy … She just worries whether or not it will be the “right” guy. Her propensity for bolting when things get rough can certainly make that journey a rocky road.

Alice is happy for now … And the dedication she shows towards every endeavor she undertakes is paying off. Sometimes she thinks about settling down, but that thought is often followed by … “Why take the risk of messing everything up?”

Kinner%20076_zpstxxr1ysl.jpg