Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Save, Save, Save!

I was just playing and thinking of another great thread about how often we use pause. It was just then it struck me how often I save. This is a big thought because in TS2 and TS3 I saved constantly! I had to cause my game would crash and I'd be stuck redoing everything. I had the habit of saving when my sims slept and after big events such as a birth or promotion.

In my game right now my sims are sleeping and when I thought about I realized I hadn't saved for a few sim days. I have had promotions, grades have reached As, and I have a sim "eating for two". All of those events would have triggered me to save in previous Sims games but in TS4 the game runs so much better and the auto save (though I can't think of an instance I actually used auto save lol) I don't have to constantly Save my game. It is also so much quicker when I do!

So here is my question to you, how often do you save?
Origin ID: ForgottenAmber
Twitch: ForgottenAmber
Discord: ForgottenAmber

31710852153_4c3c66dea7.jpg

#BobSquad
#BobSquadForever

Friend of Liam

Comments

• Options
    Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    I usually make saves during points where I might want to reload to after a shortish time max in case I want to change something significant.
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I still save every 30 minutes no matter what I'm playing. I also make backups of my saves. TS4 has only crashed on me once but honestly I'm not about to put trust in that auto save feature.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    HaidenHaiden Posts: 3,841 Member
    I forget to save now. When I played sims 3 especially before they made it LAA....I would save every half hour. No w I can do a 4 hour play session and not save. I have not had a single crash since installing this game....guess I'm lucky lol
  • Options
    lovebypondsidelovebypondside Posts: 1,364 Member
    About once an hour or so. Anytime I walk away from the computer, I pause the game and save and then go about doing things. Also if I have done something really major that I don't want to lose (birth, preg, promotion, etc).
    Origin ID: byscreenside
    Twitter: @byscreenside
    Youtube: YT

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited May 2015
    I save at the end of every Sim day, plus before and after any major event or CAS/build time, plus if I walk away. Every few times I use "Save As" and overwrite instead of "Save".
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I save every Sim morning. I also use save as and make a new save each time.
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • Options
    melissa_simmelissa_sim Posts: 50 Member
    I try save every major event. I once had my sim adopt a baby, and soon after it crashed. I ended up just making another kid in CAS.
  • Options
    butterfly61butterfly61 Posts: 1,921 Member
    I also save all the time because of the Sims 3 :)
  • Options
    sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    I've made it a habit ever since sims 3 to save every 5-10 minutes. My laptop charger is also broken so sometimes it will die randomly while I'm playing. I've lost a lot of game play that way lol. Even though my game never crashes or anything I still save always.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    poeticnebulapoeticnebula Posts: 3,912 Member
    I've made it a habit ever since sims 3 to save every 5-10 minutes. My laptop charger is also broken so sometimes it will die randomly while I'm playing. I've lost a lot of game play that way lol. Even though my game never crashes or anything I still save always.

Excellent reason to save! I try to keep a current save online but forget and when my laptop all but blew up recently I found I had not saved for a few generations. I just couldn't redo the lost time, my heart wasn't in it, so I've started all over.

I'm surprised at how many Save As. I have only used that in TS3 when I was having save errors and it was supposed to fix it. I am controlling. I micromange my poor sims to death unless I stop myself. When something I don't expect happens though I try to take it as a challenge and roll with it.

#BobSquad
    #BobSquadForever

Friend of Liam
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I think I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum of you folks. I had minor issues with TS3 (and my computer would give me a warning before it was about to crash, which I could prevent by saving and dumping the memory). However, TS4 crashes far more than TS3 ever did. I mostly forget to save and then regret it. I would say every 20 minutes is how often I try to save.
  • Options
    poeticnebulapoeticnebula Posts: 3,912 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    I think I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum of you folks. I had minor issues with TS3 (and my computer would give me a warning before it was about to crash, which I could prevent by saving and dumping the memory). However, TS4 crashes far more than TS3 ever did. I mostly forget to save and then regret it. I would say every 20 minutes is how often I try to save.

That is what it was like at it's worst in TS3 for me. I think I've only had one crash in TS4 and that was when it first came out and before the first patch. I do hope that one of these patches fix that for you! It's hard when you are enjoying your game and it becomes such a frustration!

#BobSquad
    #BobSquadForever

Friend of Liam
  • Options
    ernesdoernesdo Posts: 1,476 Member
    I saved every sim morning in the Sims 3, but tend to only save when I'm going to go to the bathroom or get some food with the Sims 4. *-* It runs so nicely that I forget it's related to Sims 3
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    I have GTW, so I save every time before my sim goes to work just in case something bad happens at work. LOL.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Raynic781Raynic781 Posts: 205 Member
    I save whenever it comes across my mind. In Sims 3 it was like I needed to save constantly because it could crash or freeze anytime and I would lose so much progress. I have yet to have this problem in Sims 4. Today I played for about two hours straight and didn't save until I realized I hadn't. I saved anyway because Sims 3 scarred me for life, haha.
  • Options
    SimPoseyYumSimPoseyYum Posts: 995 Member
    I almost never experienced a crash in Sims 3, so I saved periodically, whenever I thought about it or if I was about to direct my Sims to do something monumental. That is not the case with Sims 4. Every time my Sims 4 Sims travel, there's a really good chance I'll crash to desktop (probably close to 75% of the time). It's highly annoying. Therefore, I try to save before every travel. It's sad to admit but I try my best to avoid travel, because of the constant crashing. Many of my Sims are basically agoraphobic. :(.

I also save during just about every sleep. And I still save any time my Sims are about to do anything monumental. In other words, I save a lot in Sims 4. Experience has taught me it's absolutely necessary. It's sad, really.
  • Options
    chicannchicann Posts: 11 New Member
    Though I haven't experienced game crashes for Sims 4 yet (thank God!) but I still do save and save as about every 2 hours or before a major event or before travelling.
  • Options
    Mafe5125Mafe5125 Posts: 294 Member
    I think I save every 10 seconds honestly
  • Options
    husseinandalihusseinandali Posts: 2,622 Member
    I save every 10 min see in my country we dont get constent electrcity so every six hours the electrcity came and the generator go during this proscces there will be no electrcity for 5 min mean while my laptop battery is carupted so the laptop wont work without electrcity and when electrcity goas the laptop turn off then all unsaved things goas with it so i have to save every ten minute or every someting special happen its a pain and did i say the electrcity may come and go whenever it want during the six hour it comes
    yondu-guardians1.jpg
    over here i post my cc
    new: https://simsworkshop.net/members/g1g2.1032/
    old: modthesims.info/m/8847624
    you may know me as g1g2

• Options
    saarlandbabe2saarlandbabe2 Posts: 82 Member
    I save every 20 to 30 minutes, although I sometimes forget to save in TS4 since the game runs soo smoothly. I definitely learned my lesson when I didn't save constantly when playing TS3 and it would crash after so many hours of playing.
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Never had the save problem with sims 3, I could play for 2 hours or more or until i got tired then saved. I rarely get crashes, only when i tried to age sims up through cas.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    Every 30 minutes with TS3, never with 2 and 4.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    I save every time I am about to make a decision that might turn out badly. In TS3 I saved every time I was about to eat a jelly bean!

And every time I see the title of this thread, this is all I hear:
    220px-Say_Say_Say_%28album_cover_art%29.jpg

I keep singing 'save, save, save!' to myself....
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Options
    staravia81staravia81 Posts: 369 Member
    I save when I walk away from my computer. I also try to save periodically (like every hour), but I sometimes forget. In every other iteration of the Sims (I've played since TS1), I've had frequent crashes - especially TS3 - so I was more religious about saving.
    My builds!
    EA ID: staravia81