Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Recording and Editing Software

Hello fellow simmers! I just started recording gameplay of TS4 for my first ever YouTube series. Im showing my story of the 100 Baby Challenge. Right now im experimenting with different screen recording software and video editors. I have yet to find a pair that im totally satisfied with. Ive used Camtasia to record my screen but it comes out laggy/choppy like. Although, I do enjoy using Camtasia as a video editor. I also tried the in-game video recorder on The Sims 4 but I do not like how it automatically stops recording after a certain amount of time and also the obnoxious yellow rim around my footage. If anyone has any tips or suggestions, PLEASE let me know! -Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    YB2000YB2000 Posts: 62 New Member
    Many simmers recommend using Fraps.
    Jesus! everyone seems to be doing a 100 Baby Challenge. (I'm gonna start my own very soon)
  • Options
    professorlilithprofessorlilith Posts: 392 Member
    Well, I haven't tried fraps yet, but I can say scantastic makes a pretty blurry recording, so I don't recommend it. What do you like about camtasia over moviemaker or iMovie? I find now I've made a few videos I've caught the bug and am ready to consider actually (gasp!) spending money on software. Moviemaker tends to leave a several second black blur around edits, so even though its very userfriendly I want to move on. Heck, ive already got 2 tb of extra memory to support my habbit, so I might as well buy software too.
  • Options
    ArubianaCalienteArubianaCaliente Posts: 448 Member
    edited May 2015
    I like Dxtory. I watched this video about to learn how to get the best out of the software.

http://youtu.be/jw6YAoai8fQ

For commentary I use Audacity, and for editing Sony Vegas Pro 12. Here's a video on how to enhance commentary using Audacity

http://youtu.be/SHn2BQ0Zq7k
    Please check out my Youtube channel, thanks! https://youtube.com/user/RubySimsFatale
  • Options
    niecee4niecee4 Posts: 86 Member
    [quote="YB2000;13606502"]Many simmers recommend using Fraps.
    Jesus! everyone seems to be doing a 100 Baby Challenge. (I'm gonna start my own very soon)[/quote]

Yes. The 100 Baby Challenge seems to be really taking off! Its the first challenge ive ever done. I want to try some more challenges as well. It gives a whole new meaning to the game for me. I used to do things pretty much the same way in every sims game. Cas...theb build a kick 🐸🐸🐸🐸 mansion... then play ..building skills...throwing parties...getting famous..etc ...its like..now I have something to play for! In a game with no rules and ebdless possibilities, these challenges are awesome!
  • Options
    Spacey72659Spacey72659 Posts: 1,479 Member
    If you have a Nvidia graphics card you can get their GeForce Experience which comes with Shadow Play. It's pretty awesome.
    Only issues I have had is it will randomly cut videos but if you put them together in an editor like Premier Pro you barely notice the cut.
    Also, I've lost sound totally on a few recordings. It drives me crazy but I have no idea if its the software or something else - b/c Shadow Play still registers sound recording is on. It's usually on my Time Lord challenge game file, so idk what it hates about Time Lords but... LOL!!

Also, it's free so... can't beat that!
  • Options
    SimblingssSimblingss Posts: 55 Member
    I use Open Broadcaster Software but I am playing on a Mac, not a PC. The audio however I find is no good so as a substitute I've been learning to use Audacity and so far it is AMAZING!
    Gallery: Simblingss
    Build Showcase: Retail, Room and Home Builds
    Youtube: Simblingss
  • Options
    WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    I use LoiLo Game Recorder to record my games and VSDC Video Editor to edit my videos. I do have a channel known as GothicSimmer with The Sims 3 Ambitions and The Sims 4 Get to Work Let's Plays. Unfortunately, people don't seem interested because they have less views although it probably has to do something with dozens of TS3 LPs already existing.

I also have the GeForce GTX 960 so I could try ShadowPlay.

The Sims 4 does seem to encourage the challenge because there's an Achievement where you have to get 26 Generations, OMG.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • Options
    ByondTime89ByondTime89 Posts: 1,505 Member
    I used Audacity as well for audio, and I used to use what's called aTubeCatcher for video. But that was a while ago, dunno if it's still a thing but it was pretty good
    Gallery & Origin ID: ByondTime89
  • Options
    kensgirl73kensgirl73 Posts: 212 Member
    > @Spacey72659 said:
    > If you have a Nvidia graphics card you can get their GeForce Experience which comes with Shadow Play. It's pretty awesome.
    > Only issues I have had is it will randomly cut videos but if you put them together in an editor like Premier Pro you barely notice the cut.
    > Also, I've lost sound totally on a few recordings. It drives me crazy but I have no idea if its the software or something else - b/c Shadow Play still registers sound recording is on. It's usually on my Time Lord challenge game file, so idk what it hates about Time Lords but... LOL!!
    >
    > Also, it's free so... can't beat that!

I'm getting a new laptop that will have this on here so it's awesome to hear that this is available on this. I might try although every time I have tried to record me, I hate the way my voice sounds lol

To the original poster, have you thought about Bandicam? Unfortunately, it will only let you record 10 min videos at a time unless you register it but it was pretty easy to set up.
  • Options
    Spacey72659Spacey72659 Posts: 1,479 Member
    kensgirl73 wrote: »
    > @Spacey72659 said:
    > If you have a Nvidia graphics card you can get their GeForce Experience which comes with Shadow Play. It's pretty awesome.
    > Only issues I have had is it will randomly cut videos but if you put them together in an editor like Premier Pro you barely notice the cut.
    > Also, I've lost sound totally on a few recordings. It drives me crazy but I have no idea if its the software or something else - b/c Shadow Play still registers sound recording is on. It's usually on my Time Lord challenge game file, so idk what it hates about Time Lords but... LOL!!
    >
    > Also, it's free so... can't beat that!

I'm getting a new laptop that will have this on here so it's awesome to hear that this is available on this. I might try although every time I have tried to record me, I hate the way my voice sounds lol

To the original poster, have you thought about Bandicam? Unfortunately, it will only let you record 10 min videos at a time unless you register it but it was pretty easy to set up.

I hate my voice too - but after a while you get used to it (I cringe now and again like "ugh 🐸🐸🐸🐸" but most of the time I'm like, 'ok, not as horrible as I always imagined' LOL