Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Toddlers? Why is everyone so enamoured with them?

boguczed1boguczed1 Posts: 170 Member
edited May 2015 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
I understand the whole "realism" sense with toddlers, but is it really the most important thing that has to be added? I'd (and this is my own opinion) rather see a better implemented story progression, possibly make each sub hood open world, eg no loading screens when you visit a next door neighbor, the house and lot is already rendered after all, add a fun element of unexpected events like TS2 and TS3 eg more frantic reactions to fire, death by electrocution doesn't occur only after you try to repair an object straight after, lightning strikes, burglars, and NPCs sometimes act erratically. Really, what's better toddlers or more excitement?
Post edited by boguczed1 on

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    If you really want to know then take a wander over to the family thread. That will educate you on exactly why people love toddlers so much, and why they mean so much to them.

While you may love different things, we all have favourite aspects of the sims.
  • Options
    AmiutzaAmiutza Posts: 1,796 Member
    For me, what you mentioned is important. To others, it's toddlers. Ideally we'd get everything. Each person has their own priorities and play style.

I am however quite surprised that story progression is mentioned less and less while a few months back there were as many mentions of it as there were of toddlers.
    hhHD2XB.png
    My tumblr - A world of clutter and color
  • Options
    pezhead7pezhead7 Posts: 838 Member
    If settle for locked doors, bed assignments, and password protected electronics to limit who can use them.

I really do wish we had a little more transparency concerning the development of hot button issues like this.
    Better communication would go a long way to improve the community's overall attitude, as well as the overall opinion of the current state of the game.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    If you really want to know then take a wander over to the family thread. That will educate you on exactly why people love toddlers so much, and why they mean so much to them.

While you may love different things, we all have favourite aspects of the sims.

Yes to this :) Go check that out.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Yes it is! Babies jumping into shallow kids are boring.
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    What Bon said.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    Because it's a life stage. If we're okay with having them out then they'll probably never be implemented back, that and then they'll start to axe more life stages because we're "okay" with it.

We shouldn't wait until they're done creating EPs and GPs for Toddlers to finally be in our game. That's too long and we just miss out with other interactions that could have been implemented if they were there.
  • Options
    duska3419duska3419 Posts: 180 Member
    I was wondering the same thing. Were toddlers a big part of TS3? I didn't play it and I don't remember having toddlers in previous games.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Toddlers are an important life stage. It is unrealistic for a baby to grow straight into a child and we hadn't had that since TS1. Considering that teens are just clones of adults, as are elders, there are really only two life stages, child and adult, some with different interactions (teens being classed as teens but have the same clothes as adults and elders and the same voice) which takes us back to TS1 where if you wanted a teen or elder, you used an adult while babies have gone back to being objects

The lack of toddlers exemplifies the watered down life stages as well as all the other cut content

I have never played with too many toddlers before but I would rather have them than not have them. You can teach them basic skills and let them interact with their family

How would you feel if they cut the child life stage?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    duska3419 wrote: »
    I was wondering the same thing. Were toddlers a big part of TS3? I didn't play it and I don't remember having toddlers in previous games.

Toddlers have been in the sims for ten years. They were one of the big innovations in TS2. One of the most beloved sims games ever.
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member

Toddlers have been in the sims for ten years. They were one of the big innovations in TS2. One of the most beloved sims games ever.
    THE most beloved Sims game ever. :)
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015

They are a huge thing for family players like moi and they have lots of importance to fulfill the game's "Life Simulator" concept. Without them it feels like a big part of a sim's life was taken away and babies are even objects now and teens are the same height as adults which makes it even worse to play and build a family.

Toddlers were a great part of TS2, they were amazing and they were as important as any other lifestage, they could do so much! In TS3 they were kind of "nerfed" so to speak in their capabilities, they had much MUCH less interactions but at least they were there and with Generations they got more interesting but still not as good as TS2 toddlers.

We very much need them and all the seven lifestages were somewhat "promised" to us before the game was released which makes it even sadder and frustrating that they are not in the game.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    xBob18 wrote: »

After The Sims 3 ;)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options

After The Sims 3 ;)

Nope...
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    JessicaSimstonJessicaSimston Posts: 2,519 Member
    edited May 2015
    boguczed1 wrote: »
    I understand the whole "realism" sense with toddlers, but is it really the most important thing that has to be added? I'd (and this is my own opinion) rather see a better implemented story progression, possibly make each sub hood open world, eg no loading screens when you visit a next door neighbor, the house and lot is already rendered after all, add a fun element of unexpected events like TS2 and TS3 eg more frantic reactions to fire, death by electrocution doesn't occur only after you try to repair an object straight after, lightning strikes, burglars, and NPCs sometimes act erratically. Really, what's better toddlers or more excitement?

This is a LIFE simulator. So, what's more important, an important lifestage in someones life implemented in a life simulator, or some other things (that you mentioned) that would go well in an EP? Toddlerd are a base game feature, a good portion of the community are family players and the game is broken without them, yes open hood would be nice, and exciting events, but toddlers are a massive gaping hole that needs to be filled, the others would be just nice additions.
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    Weeeeeelllllll, I dunno about you, OP but 'realism', to me, isn't babies growing straight into walking, talking, toilet using, school attending CHILDREN.

So yeh, they're important for a LIFE SIMULATOR.

--T
  • Options
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

They are a huge thing for family players like moi and they have lots of importance to fulfill the game's "Life Simulator" concept. Without them it feels like a big part of a sim's life was taken away and babies are even objects now and teens are the same height as adults which makes it even worse to play and build a family.

Toddlers were a great part of TS2, they were amazing and they were as important as any other lifestage, they could do so much! In TS3 they were kind of "nerfed" so to speak in their capabilities, they had much MUCH less interactions but at least they were there and with Generations they got more interesting but still not as good as TS2 toddlers.

We very much need them and all the seven lifestages were somewhat "promised" to us before the game was released which makes it even sadder and frustrating that they are not in the game.

Preach!!!

--T
  • Options
    PinkJellyBeansPinkJellyBeans Posts: 219 Member
    I think that if you're not a devoted family player, you'll never understand why toddlers are important to some people and it doesn't matter how many times we try to explain. But I'll say this.

Family play is my only playstyle, it's the reason why I play the sims. For me it's a life simulation game, and life without family is nothing. The fun part (at least for me) to play with a family is to go through the whole process of getting married, getting pregnant, having kids, teach them to walk, talk, watch them grow. Each of those things are really important to me when I play these games. Toddlers are the most important life stage to me when it comes to family play because that's when they start interacting with the world around them, start to create bonds with family members, and basically start learning the first steps to life. That way I can really connect with my sims from the start and I can actually be proud when they turn into a full grown adult. The way it is now in the game, it's like you adopted a 7 year old child, because you don't get to raise them, you don't go through that bonding phase. In one second they are a baby tied to a crib and on the next they are a full grown child ready to go to school. And I get the feeling that I don't know who this child sim is. It feels empty. It's not being "obsessed" with toddlers. It's that without them, my playstyle has no meaning, I don't feel like I'm raising a family. And add to that the fact that babies are objects and teens are adults.
  • Options
    I think that if you're not a devoted family player, you'll never understand why toddlers are important to some people and it doesn't matter how many times we try to explain. But I'll say this.

Family play is my only playstyle, it's the reason why I play the sims. For me it's a life simulation game, and life without family is nothing. The fun part (at least for me) to play with a family is to go through the whole process of getting married, getting pregnant, having kids, teach them to walk, talk, watch them grow. Each of those things are really important to me when I play these games. Toddlers are the most important life stage to me when it comes to family play because that's when they start interacting with the world around them, start to create bonds with family members, and basically start learning the first steps to life. That way I can really connect with my sims from the start and I can actually be proud when they turn into a full grown adult. The way it is now in the game, it's like you adopted a 7 year old child, because you don't get to raise them, you don't go through that bonding phase. In one second they are a baby tied to a crib and on the next they are a full grown child ready to go to school. And I get the feeling that I don't know who this child sim is. It feels empty. It's not being "obsessed" with toddlers. It's that without them, my playstyle has no meaning, I don't feel like I'm raising a family. And add to that the fact that babies are objects and teens are adults.

This deserves applause! This is TOTALLY why I play the sims. Your playing style very much matches mine, and I too feel like I cannot connect to my sims any more.

Forget 'weirder stories' these sims are just straight up weird. They're cold, emotionless robots. They're just... There. It doesn't feel right, this isn't what the sims used to be about.

It's so maddening to think this is what they're making of this game. The next thing it will be cancelled (God forbid because the day that happens the world must truly be ending) and we'll have nothing to fight for.

IF (and a big if at that) toddlers do not return I just hope that someone from this fantastic modding/gaming community attempts to make a sims game we an all enjoy because any hope I had for EA is now gone. Ive gotten to a point that if they announced toddlers tomorrow I'd be... Meh.

EA have actually broken my heart :(

--T

• Options
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

After The Sims 3 ;)

Nope...

Its the same as TS2, but with Open World :tongue:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member

Of all the things you have cited, toddlers is the most important for me by far. The rest range from "don't care" to "don't want". Different people like different things :)
  • Options
    Sim_LucentSim_Lucent Posts: 689 Member

To quite a few people on these boards, toddlers are 'exciting.' I agree completely with your entire list of wants, etc. but one of the biggest let downs of the game for me was the fact that toddlers were missing. I don't get as attached to my sims -- they don't get the same bonding opportunity as previous sims and it makes that aspect of play feel void.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    joBaggerjoBagger Posts: 37 Member
    Yeah to all that above, and I think it is also a simple matter of principle.
    The Sims series were so far all about either architecture ie building and decorating or creating first and formost a family and leading its members through the meanders of simlife.
    TS4 offered a major step back and the symbolic removal of toddlers announced that it is in fact NOT a simgame but a strange mutant addressed more to the younger generation of players who are constatly in pursue of new excitment than to the sims diehards brought up on the such classics like TS2.
    You must keep in mind that TS2 has been here over ten years and simmers playing such a game for so long can be disappointed when offered instead of the promised upgrade to their favourite game, a game which was so much simplified in the worst of possible ways.
    I personally can do without toddlers but I can also understand the wrath of those who take the lack of them as a proof of being cheated.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Now, I am in fact a family player, I work with generations, as many as I can, but Toddlers were annoying in TS3, if you didn't want bad traits, you had to teach them all their life skills, sure this was a concequence of action design, but it's kind of hard to teach them to walk and talk, and potty train them especially when you play without cheats and you need to get your sims jobs, get them promoted, and take care of their needs, also toddlers needs dropped way too fast. I would appreciate them if they were based on TS2 toddlers, who were more fun and easier to take care of without massive consequences, but that is most likely not going to happen. Have you seen how much faster sims needs drop, and the days are slower, most likely we'd be stuck with playpen toddlers, or worse designed TS3 ones. Like I said in another post, if they are fun to have, great. But if they are a chore, I'll pass.