Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Extended family relationships do not go far enough

MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
I initially was going to call this "family trees do not go far enough," but it's not really a family tree problem.

Tabitha and Brooklyn are sisters. I moved out Brooklyn and her son, Freddie. They show in the family tree and come to visit all the time. Tabitha shows as Freddie's aunt in the relationship panel, and Brooklyn shows as aunt to Tabitha's children. Freddie shows as cousin to Tabitha's children. However, Tabitha now has a grandchild. Brooklyn and Freddie show absolutely no relationship to the grandchild, and vice versa. This just strikes me as very sad.

I realize that it could get messy if we have great-aunts/uncles and 1st cousins once removed and 2nd cousins and such, but if it were kept simple at just the level of aunts/uncles/cousins, or at the very least something generic like "family member," it would be kind of nice. In Sims 2 I used to go in with SimPe and edit extended relationship settings, particularly for adopted children and step-parents and such, but I know of no way to do that in Sims 4. I read somewhere that Sims 3 had a much better extended family system, but I never played it enough to realize that.

Anyway. That's my feedback.

Comments

• Options
    Faust-RSIFaust-RSI Posts: 209 Member
    TS4 family tree is just a mess, sometimes adding random blank family members to itself out of a thin air. Another example is clones. They are considered brothers (or sisters), but once you have one from the sim you've created by yourself, the random "father" for both (all) of them pups-up and is added to the family tree were it supposed to be nothing.
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    Faust-RSI wrote: »
    TS4 family tree is just a mess, sometimes adding random blank family members to itself out of a thin air. Another example is clones. They are considered brothers (or sisters), but once you have one from the sim you've created by yourself, the random "father" for both (all) of them pups-up and is added to the family tree were it supposed to be nothing.

The "blank" thing is a result of the game culling Sims once your population of living + dead exceeds 180. The March patch tweaked that a bit more, causing a massive cull when you first started the game after the patch. There is a "no more culling" mod at Mod The Sims that prevents this from happening (though it does not restore anyone who has already been culled, unless you go back to a save from before the March patch. I'd give you the link, but MTS is down right now (maintenance, I hope), so I can't get the link for you.
  • Options
    Faust-RSIFaust-RSI Posts: 209 Member
    Thank you, after reading your thread I've searched some more and I'm already aware of the culling destroying family trees and about the mod that prevents it. Unfortunately, as you said, it can't restore them, so everything is lost in my game. Crap.
    But the clones glitch is unrelated, though :)