Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is 98% GPU usage ok?

ShaobunShaobun Posts: 1,155 Member
edited March 2015 in PC - Technical Discussions
I'm not used to games using almost 100% of my gpu. Is this normal? Is it going to cause my computer any problems? Should TS4 be doing this? It's the sims, it was supposed to be made for low-spec computers. So why is it using so much of my fairly high-spec computer? Is it likely that this will end up causing problems in the future with the release of more expansions and game packs?

Sorry for all the questions, and for sounding kinda newbie-ish. I'm not terribly technical and I would also like to know whether the problems I'm starting to experience now are likely to grow more severe over time. I seem to be experiencing new problems with each update.
Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong. ~ Donald Porter

Comments

• Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    I think it's normal it is more gpu dependent than cpu. It uses 99% of my nvidia Gtx 670oc and Gtx 765M. But yes you would think it shouldn't use as much as more demanding games. It only uses 30-40% of my cpu.. so it doe depend on the gpu. What card do you have? And what cpu do you have?
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    ShaobunShaobun Posts: 1,155 Member
    Thanks @chesterbigbird I do find it a bit strange.

My computer details:
    - Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    - 8 GB RAM
    - Windows 8.1
    - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
    Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong. ~ Donald Porter
  • Options
    Don't worry about it though.. that's what graphics cards are for. Just make sure you have vertical sync enabled in nvidia control panel. :)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Shaobun wrote: »
    Thanks @chesterbigbird I do find it a bit strange.

My computer details:
    - 8 GB RAM
    - Windows 8.1
    - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

I know I spoke to you before. its using 100 of my card too. Just watch the temps on the card and temps on your CPU. Thats my problem. The game is not recognizing my nvida card after the patch and the game is heating up my cpu too quickly
  • Options
    bob007bob007 Posts: 10,062 Member
    It depends on your hardware and how you are set up. Basically it depends on the resolution. If you are playing the game at 1024X768 the video cards shouldn't have a problem but if you have an HD monitor and you have an hdmi cable you may be using the gpu too hard. The higher the resolution the harder the gpu has to work to fill the frame buffer. If the gpu can not fill the frame buffer before it is used then you can have video tearing or pixel corruption. If your seeing very high gpu usage you may want to try a little lower resolution
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    bob007 wrote: »
    It depends on your hardware and how you are set up. Basically it depends on the resolution. If you are playing the game at 1024X768 the video cards shouldn't have a problem but if you have an HD monitor and you have an hdmi cable you may be using the gpu too hard. The higher the resolution the harder the gpu has to work to fill the frame buffer. If the gpu can not fill the frame buffer before it is used then you can have video tearing or pixel corruption. If your seeing very high gpu usage you may want to try a little lower resolution

im on a laptop 1080p 770m card my GPU is maxing out at 82 and temp max 51 using nvida inspector to monitor the GPU. I dont know what Shaobun is using to monitor their GPU but they were having nvida issues in a thread I started. Chesterbigbird posted all the links to use to test the game. Im just having issues with the game not recognizing my card after the new patch EA has to fix. Chester and others including myself were running tests. The new patches caused CPU temp hikes. Already spoke to EA about it.
  • Options
    If my Nvidia GTX 670 OC cannot handle the sims 4.. then there is a problem with the game lol. Having said that, im not getting lag or tearing just high usage. The cpu temp is another thing entirely, there is no reason why it should heat up soo much when its not under much load. It's heating the cpu more than what dragon age inquisition would, so there must be a problem.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    Could be a driver issue also. Didn't TS3 do the same thing?
    I do not work for EA nor do I have any association with EA. I am a gamer helping other gamers.
  • Options
    I have no issues with TS3 its only 4 with the new patch and my CPU issue . Chester does not have 3 installed.
  • Options
    Well this issue only seems to effect NVidia players.. so could be a combination of NVidia drivers and patches. one doesn't like the other.
    I don't have a problem with high gpu usage, other games max out the gpu also, the cpu problem I do have a problem with though. Although it seems to effect mobile cpu's only, Probably because temps do naturally go higher in laptops then in desktops.
    I think ts3 had an issue with high fps that caused the gpu to overheat.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    It seems TS4 is using video code similar (if not the same) as TS3. I don't play TS3 any more. Can't remember how it was resolved (if it was ever resolved). I'm not experiencing any issues but haven't had much time to play. Real life is getting complicated. Daughter getting married (again). Son changing jobs (again). Mother is - well mother is. And in my spare time I have to work to pay the bills. Lions and tigers and bears - oh my.
  • Options
    TS3 was and is the high fps but I have vsync on and working. This goes with sims 4 too.

It might be the mobile cpu on sims 4 but a lot of people play this game on laptop so EA needs to find a fix . However I have some people in my thread with desktop and high cpu.
  • Options
    bob007 wrote: »
    It seems TS4 is using video code similar (if not the same) as TS3. I don't play TS3 any more. Can't remember how it was resolved (if it was ever resolved). I'm not experiencing any issues but haven't had much time to play. Real life is getting complicated. Daughter getting married (again). Son changing jobs (again). Mother is - well mother is. And in my spare time I have to work to pay the bills. Lions and tigers and bears - oh my.
    Lol I don't play either. Your not missing out on much imo ;)
    I only just booted it up to test the game for problems that others had experienced. I uninstalled ts3 ages ago.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 162 Member
    When playing Sims 4 on ultra settings my GPU is 15% to 20%.
  • Options

what kind of computer do you have, what is your fps in game? Most higher end cards will use a lot of the gpu
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    edited April 2015
    @Shaobun
    Shaobun wrote: »
    My computer details:
    - 8 GB RAM
    - Windows 8.1
    - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
    just a suggestion, you could dust the insides of your PC, but maybe you're doing it already regularly ...

how much own RAM does your graphics card have ?

the game uses currently with a small selection of mods only around 10% of my graphics card, but the usage is currently around 32%
    mine is the GTX 660 Ti with 4 GB RAM & i dusted the PC today cause it was yesterday pretty loud already :smiley:

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options

what kind of computer do you have, what is your fps in game? Most higher end cards will use a lot of the gpu

Vsync is off. fps in game is around 90 to 100. I have a custom built gaming PC with 6 cores.

• Options
    edited April 2015

Vsync is off. fps in game is around 90 to 100. I have a custom built gaming PC with 6 cores.

You would have to ask chesterbigbird, they have their own built computer too ad so so do others who tested this game and all come up with high GPU usage. what is the speed on your monitor 120Hz because I cant see why anyone otherwise would want 100 fps on this game. Most have 1880p 60Hz, most of us fps is 60 with vsync and the game does not need more than that
  • Options
    My graphic card just optimized everything and it works so I haven't fiddled with it.
  • Options
    If you have a good graphics card if fps runs to high it can heat up your card. I have not played the sims 4 without it and if your playing the sims 3 there is no limit to how high your FPS will run. My laptop will run fps over 200 if I don't have vsync on
  • Options
    HaidenHaiden Posts: 3,841 Member
    I did a check on mine. That usage of almost 100% GPU sounded familiar to me. I changed graphics cards about two weeks back. I had a GXT 560 TI and when running ts3 and ts4, my card was always seemingly straining (high gpu load and a max temp of 82 deg c) All setting on high and my game was performing fine though the noise irritated me (sounded like a mini hairdryer on low speed) My cpu was also hitting high usage of about 80% running at about 70 deg c Sadly that card died and I got a new one. Big difference

Fullscreen%2520capture%25202015-03-30%2520064133%2520PM.jpg"width=600"

That's the game running on all high settings and the pc is not even breaking a sweat anymore. I did let the game run/play for about an hour before I took these screen shots.

hgghjgh.jpg

What I don't understand is why the game was throttling my previous card so much. . .and the new card is hardly even heating up lol.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Haiden wrote: »
    I did a check on mine. That usage of almost 100% GPU sounded familiar to me. I changed graphics cards about two weeks back. I had a GXT 560 TI and when running ts3 and ts4, my card was always seemingly straining (high gpu load and a max temp of 82 deg c) All setting on high and my game was performing fine though the noise irritated me (sounded like a mini hairdryer on low speed) My cpu was also hitting high usage of about 80% running at about 70 deg c Sadly that card died and I got a new one. Big difference

Fullscreen%2520capture%25202015-03-30%2520064133%2520PM.jpg"width=600"

That's the game running on all high settings and the pc is not even breaking a sweat anymore. I did let the game run/play for about an hour before I took these screen shots.

hgghjgh.jpg

What I don't understand is why the game was throttling my previous card so much. . .and the new card is hardly even heating up lol.

Probably because your card was about to die LOL 500 series is now considered old. Chester has 600 series Desktop. I have 700 laptop.

there is something in the new patch programing causing it. Cant say if that is what helped kill your card. Im not getting High temps on my card only cpu. It does not happen on the sims 3 . My laptop is just hitting a year old. This issue with the sims 4 cpu temps it is effecting some computers not others but seems to be people with Nvida cards. CPU should have nothing to do with GPU so we have no explanation for this. Hope EA figures it out but I was not having these issues until the 2 latest patches.

PS we all started getting that noise from the patches
  • Options
    Checked again and it varies from about 46 to 90. It doesn't ever seem to go above 90. GPU seems always under 30. I have two titan black cards. These have their own built in fans which prevent the card from overheating by increasing fan speed under heavy loads. I just let the card do its thing and have not altered anything.
  • Options
    HaidenHaiden Posts: 3,841 Member
    edited April 2015
    @phoebebebe13 Nope lol when that card was new (the 560ti) it was always hot and noisy even with vsync on. But since you did mention the patches, I let my game update and then bought the Game Pack. I did note that when playing in Granite falls the 560 was being extra noisy...I thought it was the addition of the game pack. But altimetry the card just stopped working a few days later. Bear in mind all this happed in the last two weeks. Generally my old card was handling ts4 quite happily. Possibly it is something patch related, but maybe also only affecting specific models of NVidia cards?
  • Options
    Checked again and it varies from about 46 to 90. It doesn't ever seem to go above 90. GPU seems always under 30. I have two titan black cards. These have their own built in fans which prevent the card from overheating by increasing fan speed under heavy loads. I just let the card do its thing and have not altered anything.

Keep in mind you have a card that not many people do. @chesterbigbird is going to cry that you have 2 titan LOL

You dont count for the rest of us :p