Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

15" or 17" laptop?

Hey guys. Just wanted an opinion on whether a 15 inch or 17 inch laptop would be nicer for sims, or would a full HD 1920x1080 15 inch screen do the job? I realise it's down preference but thought I'd ask anyway as it's good to hear other people's preferences and why they prefer that! :)

Thanks in advance :)
Origin ID: zobosims

Comments

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited March 2015
    17" because of my eyesight LOL and I sometimes hook up the laptop to the TV so my game is 42"

and PS I know you were looking at gaming laptops. The well made ones are usually heaver and come in 17"
  • Options
    peppapig1993peppapig1993 Posts: 243 Member
    17" because of my eyesight LOL and I sometimes hook up the laptop to the TV so my game is 42"

:lol: and wow I've never thought to do that! I'm asking because I use a 13" MacBook pro on a daily basis so now a 15 inch screen looks huge to me compared but wonder if it's worth sizing up to a 17 inch screen as it'll be just for gaming and recording. :)

• Options

:lol: and wow I've never thought to do that! I'm asking because I use a 13" MacBook pro on a daily basis so now a 15 inch screen looks huge to me compared but wonder if it's worth sizing up to a 17 inch screen as it'll be just for gaming and recording. :)

I edited my post after you quoted. The heavy gaming laptops like the ASUS ROG come in 17" . I use my laptop more like a desktop. And I happen to have a 3d TV LED and I just transfer my laptop to the TV with an HDMI cord. There are people in here who game on their TVs. Depends how good your TV and connection are. I have been told the monitor is always more clear than the TV but mine works fine when I transfer to the TV.
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    Hey guys. Just wanted an opinion on whether a 15 inch or 17 inch laptop would be nicer for sims, or would a full HD 1920x1080 15 inch screen do the job? I realise it's down preference but thought I'd ask anyway as it's good to hear other people's preferences and why they prefer that! :)

In 1080p you probably will be wanting the 17 inch. I regret getting 15 inch when I got my laptop.. because at 1080p everything is tiny on 15 inch. I really notice it in things like steam and origin.. lol origin chat is so small I cannot read the text... And I have good eye sight lol.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options

In 1080p you probably will be wanting the 17 inch. I regret getting 15 inch when I got my laptop.. because at 1080p everything is tiny on 15 inch. I really notice it in things like steam and origin.. lol origin chat is so small I cannot read the text... And I have good eye sight lol.

I dont have good eye sight. I wish they sold a 42" laptop LOL
  • Options
    Lol.. that's what desktops are for. :p
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    Lol.. that's what desktops are for. :p

I need my 42" to be portable LOL
  • Options
    Lol yeah I wish my 27 inch monitor was portable.. But my desktop tower weighs a ton lol so not practical to be portable. ;)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options

Ah brilliant, thank you! I obviously use Origin a lot for the sims so that's good to know. I feel if I'm making the investment in the first place I may as well get a 17" :) I've never used a 17" so wasn't really sure. Will probably play around in a shop before I purchase online so I can see it in real life as I said a 15 inch screen looks huge as I'm now used to a 13 inch MacBook :lol:
  • Options
    Lol yeah I wish my 27 inch monitor was portable.. But my desktop tower weighs a ton lol so not practical to be portable. ;)

Thats why they need to make jumbo portable laptops that we can put on wheels some extra disco fans :D
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Ah brilliant, thank you! I obviously use Origin a lot for the sims so that's good to know. I feel if I'm making the investment in the first place I may as well get a 17" :) I've never used a 17" so wasn't really sure. Will probably play around in a shop before I purchase online so I can see it in real life as I said a 15 inch screen looks huge as I'm now used to a 13 inch MacBook :lol:
    Looking in shops us a good idea, make sure the laptops that you look at are 1080p and the screen is on.. that's the only way to judge. Because a lower resolution will look different.. things will be bigger. 1080p is great.. just hard to see on a smaller screen lol. 17 inch would be good though.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options

Thats why they need to make jumbo portable laptops that we can put on wheels some extra disco fans :D
    🐸🐸🐸🐸 a portable disco.. love it! :D

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options

I love having a 17". I watch movies on my laptop too.
  • Options
    Alex210Alex210 Posts: 81 Member
    I guess it all depends on what you like. Maybe a bigger screen if you're vision isn't too good, and you like a bigger screen
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    i have 15.6 screen and thats plenty even though i need monitor glasses. 17 is huge so do go look at one in person and i agree with others its just a preference though if you are going to carrying this sucker a lot you may want to factor that in as well.
  • Options
    Alex210 wrote: »
    I guess it all depends on what you like. Maybe a bigger screen if you're vision isn't too good, and you like a bigger screen
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    i have 15.6 screen and thats plenty even though i need monitor glasses. 17 is huge so do go look at one in person and i agree with others its just a preference though if you are going to carrying this sucker a lot you may want to factor that in as well.

Portability isn't an issue, but space is which is why I'm going for a laptop and not a desktop. I just want to make sure I'm not missing out by getting a smaller one and not wasting my money by getting a larger one. Will be going somewhere soon to look at them in real life so I know exactly what I want and then can save to purchase it! :)

Thanks for all your comments, it's just good to know opinions of others so I can take everything into consideration as I'll be parting with at least £800 so want to get it right :lol:
  • Options
    Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    I have a 15" @1080p, and it's perfect 95% of the time. I remember the first time I turned it on I was shocked at how small everything on the screen was - but I've gotten used to it. The higher pixel density of the smaller screen makes everything really crisp and sharp since the pixels are physically smaller. The only time I've wanted a bigger screen is when I'm in Photoshop, Unreal Engine, or watching Netflix. (Although 17" would still be to small, I want 24" or 27" :D )

Keep in mind thermal efficiency, as well. A 15" laptop has a smaller housing and all of the components will be smushed closer together, so heat will build up faster and be held closer to the components than in a 17" inch housing - although it's probably a marginal difference. If you get something that is made for proper gaming, like an Asus ROG, then the cooling system should be adequate enough that it won't matter.

The big thing for me with 17" laptops - and it's silly - is that they are all ugly. They all have too much empty space around the keyboard and it looks tacky and old to me, like from several years back when electronics were always put in much bigger cases than they needed. I much prefer the more modern look of the keyboard spanning the full width of the laptop.
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
  • Options
    Nearia35 wrote: »
    I have a 15" @1080p, and it's perfect 95% of the time. I remember the first time I turned it on I was shocked at how small everything on the screen was - but I've gotten used to it. The higher pixel density of the smaller screen makes everything really crisp and sharp since the pixels are physically smaller. The only time I've wanted a bigger screen is when I'm in Photoshop, Unreal Engine, or watching Netflix. (Although 17" would still be to small, I want 24" or 27" :D )

Keep in mind thermal efficiency, as well. A 15" laptop has a smaller housing and all of the components will be smushed closer together, so heat will build up faster and be held closer to the components than in a 17" inch housing - although it's probably a marginal difference. If you get something that is made for proper gaming, like an Asus ROG, then the cooling system should be adequate enough that it won't matter.

The big thing for me with 17" laptops - and it's silly - is that they are all ugly. They all have too much empty space around the keyboard and it looks tacky and old to me, like from several years back when electronics were always put in much bigger cases than they needed. I much prefer the more modern look of the keyboard spanning the full width of the laptop.

you can do what I do and get an HDMI cord and hook up the laptop to the TV :D I have a 17" laptop
  • Options

Ooh I hadn't given too much thought to the cooling issue. I'm definitely edging towards the 17 inch as it will be just for gaming and possibly the occasional movie. As for what it looks like I don't want it to look like a heap of junk, but as it won't be leaving the house, what's inside is of higher priority but it's hard not to judge it on the appearance somewhat! :lol:

• Options
    Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    you can do what I do and get an HDMI cord and hook up the laptop to the TV :D I have a 17" laptop

I've done that a couple of times - we have a 42" TV, great for Netflix, but not so much for other applications where I actually want more screenspace vs just a bigger screen. TVs are still mostly 1080p (or 4k, if you can afford it) whereas 24" and 27" computer monitors have larger resolutions like 2560x1440 so you can actually get more on the screen.

MSI has some interesting laptops - including higher resolution models (it looks like up to 2880x1620) as well as an 18.3" model. (Although it looks like the prices go up quite a bit for that, too!)

Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
  • Options

I've done that a couple of times - we have a 42" TV, great for Netflix, but not so much for other applications where I actually want more screenspace vs just a bigger screen. TVs are still mostly 1080p (or 4k, if you can afford it) whereas 24" and 27" computer monitors have larger resolutions like 2560x1440 so you can actually get more on the screen.

MSI has some interesting laptops - including higher resolution models (it looks like up to 2880x1620) as well as an 18.3" model. (Although it looks like the prices go up quite a bit for that, too!)

My TV is 1080p 42" 3d. Im sure the higher resolution laptops are more money. I have an ASUS ROG and Im fine with it. I only play the sims games on it so I dont need something over the top for the sims. If I was playing heavier games I would want a desktop.

I just found a 4k $1000 TV 120" http://mashable.com/2014/01/09/vizio-4k/
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top