Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Foster Care Challenge Part 45 ( 07/20)

Comments

• Options
    frozenorangejuicfrozenorangejuic Posts: 1,830 Member
    @Nonsequitorian no there's no rule against adopting more kids, as long as you still adopt when you get promoted. :) I'm glad someone else is trying the challenge!
  • Options
    NonsequitorianNonsequitorian Posts: 264 Member
    @Nonsequitorian no there's no rule against adopting more kids, as long as you still adopt when you get promoted. :) I'm glad someone else is trying the challenge!

I think I have a rhythm down - add-a-baby when the toddler learns her three skills, clean when the school-age kids are going to or returning from school, and sleep the rest of the time lol!
    Remember: Wherever you go...there you are.

One day, my wishlist turned into Own the Store, and there was no more wishlist. How remarkable.
  • Options
    friday027friday027 Posts: 610 Member
    @Nonsequitorian - I have a child with the slob trait and another with the evil trait! What I don't understand is why it takes you and @frozenorangejuic 4-5 days to get promoted. For me, until I hit level 8 of the career, my homemaker was promoted every 3 days. I guess I must be working my homemaker to death! :D

• Options
    friday027 wrote: »
    @Nonsequitorian - I have a child with the slob trait and another with the evil trait! What I don't understand is why it takes you and @frozenorangejuic 4-5 days to get promoted. For me, until I hit level 8 of the career, my homemaker was promoted every 3 days. I guess I must be working my homemaker to death! :D

I'd love to understand how the homemaker mod actually calculates pay. I lose 4 every time I empty the potty, then only gain 5 for putting the potty mess in the trash. I lose 3 for seeing the unmade bed, then only gain 5 for making the bed. It doesn't make sense. If I just got up, and the first thing I have my homemaker do is make the bed, I don't get why I lose points for an unmade bed. Ditto with the dishes. That dish didn't sit there for three seconds before I started losing pay for seeing a dirty dish, darn it!

I gain nothing at all for interacting with an infant. No snuggle pay! My sim wants to write to her mayor about that!

There's also a bug in the mod that occurs between 23:55 and 00:05 every sim day. Your homemaker's pay arrives at 23:55pm, and the pay stats reset at 00:05am. Any pay you earn during those ten minutes is lost.

One day, my wishlist turned into Own the Store, and there was no more wishlist. How remarkable.
  • Options
    Oh, speaking of oddities in the homemaker mod, here are two more:

Upon reaching level 3, you are supposed to get 20% off on purchasing kids' items. Two problems with that: first, by level 3, you already have crib(s), potty, toys, etc. Buying beds doesn't trigger the discount. I haven't found that the discount is useful for anything.

Upon reaching level 4, you get a message that says "Here's some heavy-duty transportation for your hard-working homemaker" or something similar. I looked for a van or car to magically appear, but nothing happened. I checked everyone's pockets, just to be sure lol!

• Options
    edited August 2015
    @Nonsequitorian glad you got a rhythm down! Do you use the relativity mod? I think that might be the difference between my game and @friday027 's game. Are you sure you only get 5 for making the bed? I think I've been getting ten for it. I did notice the thing about the dishes. At later levels I was losing like $100 every time they ate.

I know when I was doing it I got the same van that they daycare profession does, but I'm not sure what level that happened. I also didn't pay attention to the discount.
  • Options
    I haven't checked out the relativity mod. I'll go do that. I've pretty much downloaded the entire NRAAS catalog by now lol!

I don't have Generations, so no daycare profession. I guess that's why there was no van.

• Options
    @frozenorangejuic and @Nonsequitorian

I don't think the 20% off on purchasing kids' items has ever worked since Twallan first wrote the mod. The original mod goes to Level 5 which is the original top of the homemaker career. The van and a couple of Lifetime rewards are given at level 5 and this is when the message is supposed to show up. I've not it experienced it showing up earlier.

But, you are probably right, Nonsequitorian, you wouldn't be able to receive the Van if you don't have Generations. I would have never even thought about that. I actually think Twallan wrote the mod just after Generations came out. This also means you wouldn't get the LTR bonuses either, because I think they are also part of Generations. I could probably easily change these rewards, though, to make them more "universal".

The simoleans given for performing certain tasks goes up on a per career level basis. So, at some point, making the bed (as well all other homemaker type stuff) will payout a lot! :)

Nonsequitorian, if all you do is install Relativity, it will be set at the EA defaults. So you have to go into the mod and change it. There is lots of info and suggested settings on the Nraas site. I am not in game, or I could tell you how I have this mod set. Over the weekend, when I have time, I'll do that and post it here. :)
  • Options
    @Nonsequitorian yeah without Generations you probably wouldn't get the van or some of the LTRs. My favorite is called Super Nanny and reduces how long it takes to teach toddler skills.

@friday027 too bad you can't change the rewards to be dependent on what EPs someone had! At least I'm assuming that's not a thing.
  • Options
    @frozenorangejuic and @Nonsequitorian

Nonsequitorian, if all you do is install Relativity, it will be set at the EA defaults. So you have to go into the mod and change it. There is lots of info and suggested settings on the Nraas site. I am not in game, or I could tell you how I have this mod set. Over the weekend, when I have time, I'll do that and post it here. :)

That would be great, thanks!

I tried making a test family where I pollinated for two sets of twins and instant aged them just to see what kind of levelling the homemaker mod was doing, but it was weird somehow. Sometimes I'd lose pay for unmade bed and sometimes not. Also noticed I would lose pay if a child autonomously decided to wash the dishes and I didn't catch it before she made it to the sink. I made a mint watering the garden, though. Before I only had two plants, so it was not a money maker, but this time, I had 11 plants and was earning about 100 every time I weeded/watered. Nothing for harvesting or planting. No pay for skilling gardening, either, although skilling handy was pretty lucrative.

It occurs to me that I'm probably off-topic, since this thread is for the foster care challenge. Sorry 'bout that. I seem to be fascinated with the homemaker mod lol!

• Options
    @Nonsequitorian - Okay, will do! I may not get to the Relativity settings until Sunday, though, just so you know. I have a busy day on Saturday.

No worries! I am also fascinated by the homemaker mod! The heart of the challenge IS the homemaker mod! Lol! :D But, I absolutely love that Tasha came up with this challenge and truly enjoy playing it! I play strictly by her rules! :smiley: Though, it's kind of heartbreaking that my homemaker always has the wish to get married! :( Still, she seems quite content to be a mom! :)

One thing I've noticed about the mod, is that it doesn't always calculate on the fly... it may take a little bit of time for it make the calculations, so I would guess this is why you aren't seeing instant deductions in unmade beds. Plus, there may be some kind of threshold coded into the mod. I'll have to take a look.

With kids washing the dishes, it has been a little confusing to me, too. At first it seemed my homemaker was losing money when the kids autonomously washed the dishes - and I even told @frozenorangejuic this and later had to take it back after looking at the code. Although, I am still not quite 100% sure, I do know that right now, there is some small amount of cash added whenever a child does the dishes (which is in the code). What I'm unclear about is if this added cash happens in the mid to higher levels of the career, because I am more than certain that in the beginning my homemaker was taking a loss whenever a kid washed a dish.

Gardening and Upgrading objects are huge earners! So is Cooking!

Kids can learn the gardening skill (hidden child gardening skill) by watering the plants... and this also contributes to the homemaker's earnings, though it's not as much as she/he would make from doing it themselves. I am not certain at all, but I operate based on my belief that all of the hidden skills gained from toddler through childhood that become unlocked either when the toddler ages to a child, or the child to a teen, also payout to the homemaker. So, far it has seemed to pay off big, so will try to pay closer attention to this.

The hidden skills would be writing/painting (toddler skill books), guitar (xylophone), cooking (toy oven), athletic (easy to get using the free-throw basketball thinga-majig from the store), gardening (watering plants), logic (the pegbox and play pen - the science skill may also be given with the playpen), charisma (playpen) handiness (the walker).

One thing to keep in mind is that it is imperative to keep everyone's moodlet buffs high, since this offers the best payout. One thing I've mentioned to Tasha before is that being a Natural Cook means extra big moodlets in meal satisfaction... up to +50 for 8 hours... more if a child or the homemaker has the "Over Emotional" trait. I think that's what it's called. So I try to get my homemaker's cooking skill high right off the bat. And I buy the food processor so that I can feed toddlers in the high chair and give them extra high moodlets with leftovers.

Okay, now that I've written an overly enthusiastic Foster Care Challenge Novel... I think I'd better get ready for bed and off to sleep. :) I'll get you my Relativity Settings no later that Sunday Nonsequitorian. :)

• Options
    @Friday027 You rock! That explains a lot. I didn't know that about the Free Throw - I only used that in a game once and it a) made my sims instantly obsessed with shooting hoops with each other, no matter what I queued up for them (like "sleep" lol!), and b) it caused fatigue in about 30 seconds. So I decided that Free Throw was more of a curse than a blessing and stuck it in family inventory. Do you think the ballet barre also skills up the hidden athletic in a child? I know it gives levels for dancing.

I'm hopping around between challenges right now.

• Options
    @Friday027 You rock! That explains a lot. I didn't know that about the Free Throw - I only used that in a game once and it a) made my sims instantly obsessed with shooting hoops with each other, no matter what I queued up for them (like "sleep" lol!), and b) it caused fatigue in about 30 seconds. So I decided that Free Throw was more of a curse than a blessing and stuck it in family inventory. Do you think the ballet barre also skills up the hidden athletic in a child? I know it gives levels for dancing.

I'm hopping around between challenges right now.

ETA: I take that back about the Free Throw - I just looked in my game and the culprit was the Rim Rockin' Basketball Hoop.

• Options
    @Nonesequitorian - Oh - Sorry I couldn't think of the name. It is the Rim Rockin' Basketball Hoop that allows child athletic skill gain pretty quickly. I am not sure if kids gain athletic from the free-throw machine, or for bowling, but they just might. They might get the skill from throwing the frisbe, too. Otherwise, it's slow and agonizing work out in front of the TV or stereo for a kid to get the skill. I thought swimming gave the skill, but maybe that was in sims 2.

I think the ballet bar only raises the dance the skill, as you said.

I know what you mean about the Rim Rockin' Basketball Hoop - Do you have Nraas Retuner? You can turn down the "advertising" value to decrease the draw for sims to use the object. I've actually been meaning to do this myself for a while now. :)
  • Options
    @Nonesequitorian - Oh - Sorry I couldn't think of the name. It is the Rim Rockin' Basketball Hoop that allows child athletic skill gain pretty quickly. I am not sure if kids gain athletic from the free-throw machine, or for bowling, but they just might. They might get the skill from throwing the frisbe, too. Otherwise, it's slow and agonizing work out in front of the TV or stereo for a kid to get the skill. I thought swimming gave the skill, but maybe that was in sims 2.

I think the ballet bar only raises the dance the skill, as you said.

I know what you mean about the Rim Rockin' Basketball Hoop - Do you have Nraas Retuner? You can turn down the "advertising" value to decrease the draw for sims to use the object. I've actually been meaning to do this myself for a while now. :)

I use Retuner for stopping autonomous dragon interaction. Speaking of which, I need to go do that now for my current family lol!

• Options
    @Nonsequitorian Hmm I've never lost pay (that I noticed) when a child washed their dishes, I just lose money immediately when they are finished eating. Then if they wash their dish I earn some of that money back.

As far as hidden child/toddler skills go, I've noticed that with some of them the home maker gets money right away. These are the ones that you can see them level and get notifications about like the peg box.
  • Options
    @Nonsequitorian Hmm I've never lost pay (that I noticed) when a child washed their dishes, I just lose money immediately when they are finished eating. Then if they wash their dish I earn some of that money back.

As far as hidden child/toddler skills go, I've noticed that with some of them the home maker gets money right away. These are the ones that you can see them level and get notifications about like the peg box.

You may be right. Finishing eating and autonomously washing happen so quickly that I can't tell what's really going on. Plus, I didn't notice they were even done until the dish was in the sink lol!

• Options

@Nonsequitorian and @frozenorangejuic

Here's a screenshot of my Relativity settings:

RelativitySettings_zpsv06xhbct.png

Relativity FAQ (helpful for adjusting Skill Gain and Motive Decay - I leave mine set at the default values which is the EA standard default) :
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Relativity+FAQ

*See Below for some helpful info on Relativity. I copied a pasted this a while ago from an Nraas post. I'm so glad I did, because after Twallan left, they did some heavy handed housekeeping on the site, so this post no longer exist.

RELATIVITY QUESTION:

MadMan9 Yesterday 12:09 pm
    I just put Relativity into my game, its a bit confuseing, and i set the speed to 10.
    But i was wondering if you slow down the speed like i just did, will there need still go down like normal,
    or will it correspond with the speed i set it at?

Oh, and also what speed do you have yours set at? Im haveing trouble finding a good speed set thing. lol

murilala murilala Yesterday 12:11 pm
    The only noticable difference for me is that times in rabbitholes takes longer.

I'd always set it to run at about 50% speed (can't remember what number that was, 17?)

Inf666 Inf666 Yesterday 12:12 pm
    18 = Half Speed.

I have mine set at 10 as well. I love the slow paced days.

As for your question yes their needs will slow down as well. It's all relative. heh

MadMan9 MadMan9 Yesterday 12:14 pm
    ok, ill try it at 50% speed, which is 19 :)

semipr0 semipr0 Yesterday 12:17 pm
    I do 20 for time, then set it to speed up to 37 (default time) when fast forwarding through actions.

MadMan9 MadMan9 Yesterday 12:29 pm
    so the higer the number for time is the longer the time is? Or the huger the time the shorter the time?
    I dont know if that made any sence, lol

Lizbear Lizbear Yesterday 2:55 pm
    larger number means faster time

MadMan9 MadMan9 Yesterday 2:57 pm
    oh, ok so if i want time to go by slow, put it on like 10?

Lizbear Lizbear Yesterday 3:17 pm
    yeah, 10 would be really slow. I put it on 20 personally. I find its just a little bit faster than half speed.

Alliecat04 Alliecat04 17 minutes ago
    I like it on 10 when I have a big household. That's about one-quarter as fast as normal.
    With a small household I run on 19, which is half speed.

Only warning is that if your sims are Showtime performers, you need to run at least 19 or the music will lag.
  • Options
    Thanks @Friday027 for that information! So it seems like yours is slowed down quite a bit, yes? i'm not sure I'll want to mess with my game right now but it's nice to know more about the mod should I decide to use it.
  • Options

Hi @frozenorangejuic - I was mostly posting it for @Nonsequitorian . But, yes, the days are longer and sims needs decay or increase relative to the length of the day. In the normal EA default - 1 Sim day equals 37 Ticks. This is why you'll see people posting that half speed ( a day 2x as long) is a setting in Relativity anywhere from 17 - 19. I have mine set to 10, in most games I play. This works well for my play style. But I know you like your sims to fly by the seat of their pants (which I love) and this speed would likely make your Videos longer, too! :D
  • Options
    That's very cool info @Friday027 !!! I love the setting "Only count Humans during Sleep Checks" lol! It sounds like back when I was a kid at camp and the camp counselor would come do bunk checks. Everyone here? Ok, then, Goodnight!

• Options
    @Nonsequitorian - That is too funny! I was meaning to get around to changing out the Van and LTRs for the homemaker mod so I could upload a non-Generations versions.

I know I could probably replace the Generations Day Care Van with the Base Game 4-Everything Van, but I have a question with regard to the LTRs.

I could try replacing the current (Generations) LTRs with Base Game LTRs (which are pretty limited) or, Nonsequitorian, you can tell me which LTRs you would like to see as Career Rewards for your Homemaker and I can use those. There are 3 LTRs that awarded by Twallan's original mod. This means, of course, that you would be using a version of the homemaker mod specifically for your game. :) I am quite happy to do that... if I can, and I think I can. I haven't gotten that far just yet, though, since my question served to divert my attention to other things! :D

• Options
    edited August 2015
    @friday027 too bad you can't change the rewards to be dependent on what EPs someone had! At least I'm assuming that's not a thing.

Yes, this probably could be done, but not that easily. It could be done with a lot of "If then/else" statements starting with the most recently released EPs and working backwards. But then, there would need to be a way of identifying which EPs each individual user has installed... or a way for users to select the most recent EP they have installed... And for me, personally, that would probably take quite a while! :D

*edited for clarity. :)
  • Options
    I never have thought about LTRs. You mean like the food processor you get for being a level -something chef or the frosted glass door an investigator gets?

My homemaker deserves a gilded crib and a hand-engraved mop lol! She needs a complete, unabridged set of encyclopedias (which, incidentally, teach all 10 levels of the base-game skills), a stroller for three (so she can get out of the house for a nice walk), an air-conditioned treadmill/nautilus combo machine (with the no-sweat option), and a masseuse that makes house calls.

I don't suppose those are on the drawing board, though, eh? :wink:

Ok, ok... How about a coffee maker, a rocking chair, and ... uh, ... I dunno? A nice stereo?

You don't need to make these especially for me, as I seem to only play to the fourth child then start a new game anyway.