May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Back to the roots"

Comments

• Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @Jimil wrote: »
    This is an insult to the first game!

Sadly, it hoped to be as successful as the first but it flopped :\

It didn't flop. It's still selling really well. Still near the top of gaming charts over 6 months on.
    It hasn't left the Top 5 on Amazon since release. Meanwhile we've had heaps of new games since then.

It's been pushed out of the Top 5 for the first time, because Rockstar are selling all the old GTA games for like $3.
    Hardly flopping.
  • Options
    Sim_LucentSim_Lucent Posts: 689 Member
    edited March 2015
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    I think you'll find they were referring to Sim Play vs World Play.

In The Sims 1 + 2, the emphasis was on The Sims themselves. You occasionally took them out, but the gameplay was at home for the most part.
    The Sims 3 changed the idea of the Sims as the gameplay was shifted from the home lot, and focused on activities and events around the world.

For example, all the "Opportunities" that your Sims constantly get encouraging them to join community activities. World Adventures and Ambitions heavily focused on World Play also. Late Night focused on where your Sims could live, and where they could hang out etc. It wasn't until Generations where we saw the focus shift briefly on The Sims themselves, before moving back to World Play again by going to the future, incorporating Seasons and more World Activities in Island Paradise.

Of course your Sims are still the focal point of each of the three games, but The Sims 3 made a huge emphasis on exploring, to the point they tweaked the Sims so they could basically look after themselves for the most part, and also made their Needs not drop as fast, so there was more time to get out of the house.

The Sims 4 brings the focus back to Sims at home. Look at the Buy Catalog. HUGE selection of Hobby and Interactive objects for your Sims to use. The different Scientist Equipment, the extra Cooking Skill, the Gardening aspect, the Woodworking Bench, all the different Musical Instruments etc...

The Sims 4 lacks by not finalizing the life stages and what not, but they didn't lie when they would return to their roots, aka running a Household and giving your Sims different things to do, and creating the kind of Sim they will be based on the Hobbies you let them partake in.

This was very nicely written -- I would argue that the TS4 game is still missing a lot of things for me, personally (aside from toddlers, etc) and it would be really nice if the emotions and traits were more correlated, as currently they seem to not be working properly.. I can only hope that the game hits its stride soon for most players.

I also do believe that TS4 hit MISSED the mark in terms of its maturity level. It's been an observation of mine from the board alone that many people who loved TS2 aren't as huge a fan of TS4.. which could, as stated above, be part of the life stages. But I think it's also the overall feel of the game.

Edited for semantics.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    NiekibearNiekibear Posts: 89 Member
    Sims 4 doesn't even have burglars who would steal your shiny new 1k simoleon stereo set. Wait... maybe i shouldn't complain about that....

But seriously, they can go back to the roots as much as they'd like but improve upon it. It's 2015 not 1999 and they know they'd be competing with previous sims games (mainly 2 and 3) that added so much content and new features in the base game alone! I don't think anyone wanted the Sims 1 reloaded. If we wanted TS1 we would play TS1.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Senbre wrote: »
    @Scobre wrote: »
    Jimil wrote: »
    This is an insult to the first game!

Sadly, it hoped to be as successful as the first but it flopped :\
    Yeah sadly, but I am enjoying playing the Sims 1 again. Those robbers still scare me in the game with the creepy music.

too scary for my 5 years old cousin
    That's sad. Time to mute the game during that part.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    That happens to me also. What I do is keep a word document for each game's cheats on my desktop. Handy when I need it.
    That's a good tip. It is so funny when I type moveobjects on instead of bb.moveobjects in the Sims 4. Oh that is something different. Cheat codes have changed over the years.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    @Scobre wrote: »

In The Sims 1 + 2, the emphasis was on The Sims themselves. You occasionally took them out, but the gameplay was at home for the most part.
    The Sims 3 changed the idea of the Sims as the gameplay was shifted from the home lot, and focused on activities and events around the world.

For example, all the "Opportunities" that your Sims constantly get encouraging them to join community activities. World Adventures and Ambitions heavily focused on World Play also. Late Night focused on where your Sims could live, and where they could hang out etc. It wasn't until Generations where we saw the focus shift briefly on The Sims themselves, before moving back to World Play again by going to the future, incorporating Seasons and more World Activities in Island Paradise.

Of course your Sims are still the focal point of each of the three games, but The Sims 3 made a huge emphasis on exploring, to the point they tweaked the Sims so they could basically look after themselves for the most part, and also made their Needs not drop as fast, so there was more time to get out of the house.

The Sims 4 brings the focus back to Sims at home. Look at the Buy Catalog. HUGE selection of Hobby and Interactive objects for your Sims to use. The different Scientist Equipment, the extra Cooking Skill, the Gardening aspect, the Woodworking Bench, all the different Musical Instruments etc...

The Sims 4 lacks by not finalizing the life stages and what not, but they didn't lie when they would return to their roots, aka running a Household and giving your Sims different things to do, and creating the kind of Sim they will be based on the Hobbies you let them partake in.
    Thank you for writing a well written explanation of what that quote meant. That makes sense to bringing attention back to the Sims again. I really need to try my best to ignore the linear goals so the focus isn't so much with skilling or collecting, but rather on my Sims interacting with each other more. The Sims 3 was more about the world and exploring that.

Thanks! :)

I just hope they add in Toddlers and possibly make an EP based on Family activities and sort of a Generations EP but rather than focus on a few ridiculous things, focus on making families so good, you'd actually wish they were yours.
  • Options
    Niekibear wrote: »
    Sims 4 doesn't even have burglars who would steal your shiny new 1k simoleon stereo set. Wait... maybe i shouldn't complain about that....

But seriously, they can go back to the roots as much as they'd like but improve upon it. It's 2015 not 1999 and they know they'd be competing with previous sims games (mainly 2 and 3) that added so much content and new features in the base game alone! I don't think anyone wanted the Sims 1 reloaded. If we wanted TS1 we would play TS1.
    At least the maids steal. XD So theft in the game does still occur. But yes the Sims 1 wasn't perfect but every Sims game does have its pros that Simmers like.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

This was very nicely written -- I would argue that the TS4 game is still missing a lot of things for me, personally (aside from toddlers, etc) and it would be really nice if the emotions and traits were more correlated, as currently they seem to not be working properly.. I can only hope that the game hits its stride soon for most players.

I also do believe that TS4 hit MISSED the mark in terms of its maturity level. It's been an observation of mine from the board alone that many people who loved TS2 aren't as huge a fan of TS4.. which could, as stated above, be part of the life stages. But I think it's also the overall feel of the game.

Edited for semantics.

It obviously missed the mark, but the vision I think is still intact. I think the game suffers from Creative Differences. You can feel it when you play the game that it's different ideas of what the game should be.

For example, the game encourages us to collect things throughout the Neighborhoods, yet we have to visit a Neighbour to do that, we can't just visit the Neighborhood itself.

Little things like that, just make it feel less cohesive. I still love the game. It doesn't feel complete, but even with the broken Emotions system, I still enjoy the fact my decisions change how my Sims go throughout their day, and it just feels so natural now.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    The Sims 1 also had carpools...
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options

And you cold block the carpool to prevent your sim from missing work lol
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    Gnarl_Lee wrote: »
    right, great, you hate sims 4...it will never be what you want it to be...no matter how much you complain....no matter how much you "discuss" it, it will never live up to your expectations...time for you to grab a hold of your life and move on

So, another "Just shut up and go away, I"m tired of reading it" post from you, Gnarl_Lee? How's that working out for you, by the way? I see by the replies on this thread that you're being roundly ignored. I guess I should have too, but then I couldn't resist poking at you with a sharp stick.

I SERIOUSLY need a life... :mrgreen:
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options

Thanks! :)

I just hope they add in Toddlers and possibly make an EP based on Family activities and sort of a Generations EP but rather than focus on a few ridiculous things, focus on making families so good, you'd actually wish they were yours.
    Yeah thank you so much for keeping it civil. It was a really well thought out post and I appreciated reading it a lot. I hope toddlers return too. It's the one thing keeping me from enjoying the Sims 4 game as much as I want to. Well baby objects too, but at least the needs for that and the cries feel realistic to me with having a baby nephew in my house right now. I really hope toddlers are patched in too and then expanded on with a generations EP. It would be cool if preteens were in that EP. I'm a big family player myself, so the life stages are important to me. Yes I agree families need to be good enough to go aww for and wish they were yours. I've gotten so attached to families over the past 15 years, it's crazy. Like the Goths, the Burbs, the Curious, the Brokes, and the Smiths just to name a few. The pregnancy stage is well done. I guess that is another similar thing is that the Goths have been in all of the games. Don Lothario wasn't in the first game now that I think about it.
  • Options
    That's true and school buses. I hope those are brought back. It so odd having Sims walk to work.
  • Options
    I hope they bring back the option of meeting friends and coworkers at work too. We had that in TS2...
  • Options
    libra_stylelibra_style Posts: 1,229 Member

That's very true, i forgot about this and we had this all the way up to sims 3.....sims 4 is the first sim game to not have carpools.. :(
  • Options
    XopaxPaxXopaxPax Posts: 1,769 Member
    edited March 2015
    I remember that when they said "back to roots" they talked about art style, not gameplay, they said that because people was pluming about the graphics of TS4...
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

I don't get this, I never do. Who's joining those community activities? The sims themselves. Who's doing those careers in Ambitions or exploring those tombs (and work on their marial art skills)? The sims themselves. Who's 'hanging out'? The sims themselves. And then Generations came along, giving us rabbithole proms, rabbithole boarding schools (really, they are only great to get rid of the teens in your household until they age into YA), half-baked weddings (nice decor, I'm not complaining but really, the sims themselves?) and an annoying invisable friend the sims themselves could turn into puddingfaces with purple hair.
    How is this:

Eve_336.jpg

kobayne000365-1.jpg

Prom_zpsncjzpdo0.png

... more about 'the sims themselves' than this:

Silas_400_zps60da9752.jpg

Eve_102b-1.jpg

Elijah_486.jpg

His children:

Elijah_490_zps1e2ae7cc.png

Elijah_491.jpg

I really don't get that, how are the latter pictures about the world and the community and not about those sims.
    It is like you say, Sims 1, 2 and 4 is about the sims at home. But that's not the same as 'about the sims themselves'. Would you consider the life of a person who doesn't leave the house rich and fullfilling? Then why is it more personal in this life simulation game to pursue a life between four walls?

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member

I don't get this, I never do. Who's joining those community activities? The sims themselves. Who's doing those careers in Ambitions or exploring those tombs (and work on their marial art skills)? The sims themselves. Who's 'hanging out'? The sims themselves. And then Generations came along, giving us rabbithole proms, rabbithole boarding schools (really, they are only great to get rid of the teens in your household until they age into YA), half-baked weddings (nice decor, I'm not complaining but really, the sims themselves?) and an annoying invisable friend the sims themselves could turn into puddingfaces with purple hair.
    How is this:

Eve_336.jpg

kobayne000365-1.jpg

Prom_zpsncjzpdo0.png

... more about 'the sims themselves' than this:

Silas_400_zps60da9752.jpg

Eve_102b-1.jpg

Elijah_486.jpg

His children:

Elijah_490_zps1e2ae7cc.png

Elijah_491.jpg

I really don't get that, how are the latter pictures about the world and the community and not about those sims.
    It is like you say, Sims 1, 2 and 4 is about the sims at home. But that's not the same as 'about the sims themselves'. Would you consider the life of a person who doesn't leave the house rich and fullfilling? Then why is it more personal in this life simulation game to pursue a life between four walls?

Well said.
  • Options
    XopaxPax wrote: »
    I remember that when they said "back to roots" they talked about art style, not gameplay, they said that because people was pluming about the graphics of TS4...
    I must have missed this. Wouldn't that make the art style back to 2D again and more edgy? I actually thought the art style reminded me more of the Sims 2 than anything, why it didn't bother me much.
  • Options
    GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member
    I loved Sims 1. Had the best EPs in whole franchise imo, more original looking unique with more details and small touches.

But I read Will Wright thought having babies that were not in a basinet would be unnecessary and that babies were boring XD
    He made the game thinking more of grown up children because of his daughter I think and he said they didn't age because he want his kid not to age either and be 7-10 forever lol
  • Options
    GaiaPuma wrote: »
    I loved Sims 1. Had the best EPs in whole franchise imo, more original looking unique with more details and small touches.

But I read Will Wright thought having babies that were not in a basinet would be unnecessary and that babies were boring XD
    He made the game thinking more of grown up children because of his daughter I think and he said they didn't age because he want his kid not to age either and be 7-10 forever lol
    Yeah I remember that about the aging. I thought that was cute. Even being an aunt, it hard to see my nephews grow up. I heard making magic was cool. I didn't play that one, but the gnomes being able to move when cast was magic looked like it was really fun. I love the small touches with games. I think it's funny some of the Gurus are in the paintings of the Sims 4.
  • Options
    AlaskaBlackAlaskaBlack Posts: 68 Member
    Going back to the roots means nothing. This game feels nothing like TS1, TS2, or TS3. If by "going back to the roots" means gutting the games features and creating dead gameplay, then sure they went back to the roots.
  • Options
    Going back to the roots means nothing. This game feels nothing like TS1, TS2, or TS3. If by "going back to the roots" means gutting the games features and creating dead gameplay, then sure they went back to the roots.
    Yeah I don't know. The Sims 4 could have been gutted just to make more money later on with GPs and EPs. It's not the first time it has been done. It just makes me worried for the Sims 5 still with having even more gutted features. I don't know if it is because of the online to offline switch either. I guess we'll never know until EA explains their vision and what the future of the Sims 4 will be. I think we are all in the dark still.
  • Options
    AlaskaBlackAlaskaBlack Posts: 68 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Yeah I don't know. The Sims 4 could have been gutted just to make more money later on with GPs and EPs. It's not the first time it has been done. It just makes me worried for the Sims 5 still with having even more gutted features. I don't know if it is because of the online to offline switch either. I guess we'll never know until EA explains their vision and what the future of the Sims 4 will be. I think we are all in the dark still.
    TS5 worries me also. Part of me thinks EA will learn from their mistakes with TS4, but another part of me thinks EA isn't going to do right and give the fans a proper installment to the franchise.
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    XopaxPax wrote: »
    I must have missed this. Wouldn't that make the art style back to 2D again and more edgy? I actually thought the art style reminded me more of the Sims 2 than anything, why it didn't bother me much.

The art style reminds me of a combination from:

Roadrunner & Coyote cartoons (1950-1970)

The Flintstones (1960-1966)

The Land Before Time (1988)

When EA said "back to roots", I didn't think that meant back to the roots of television! :o

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius