Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If aging is off what happens when you turn it on?

The question is in the title. Basically I am playing rotational gameplay and I just want to pause the aging for a little while. Would it be possible for me to turn aging off and then turn it back on and pick up where I left off as far as sims ages? Like say a sim has 20 days until he ages up and I turn aging off, when I turn it back on will he still be at the 20 days? I've never played with aging off if you're wondering why I don't already know this.

Comments

• Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Yes. The sim will not age while you have it off.
  • Options
    StormyDayzStormyDayz Posts: 4,035 Member
    fullspiral wrote: »
    Yes. The sim will not age while you have it off.

So he'll be at his exact age? The reason I need to know is I keep a list of who's birthday is next in the rotation and if their ages changed even by a day it could screw up my list.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I play mostly aging off. When I need to age a sim up, I will do so either for played households or the world in general.

I'm not that particular so I wouldn't guarantee it would be an exact day. I just watch the bar and how close they are. I don't pay much mind to those type of particulars.
  • Options
    weetzieweetzie Posts: 12 New Member
    I assume then your Sim will just start aging from whatever age they were when you turned it off?
  • Options
    CoriChanCoriChan Posts: 197 Member
    You can always make a New Game to test it out on some random sims ^_^ I don't normally play with aging on, so I don't know either.
  • Options
    Frogprincess_qFrogprincess_q Posts: 1,269 Member
    Be aware that when playing rotationally, random romances may occur for your inactive sims. So when you return to them they may have a bunch of "lovebird" level relationships. Utterly random relationships. Also when turning off aging, make sure that you disable it for your inactive sims, not just for unplayed sims! I failed on that count with my first family and I had several played but inactive sims get old and a couple even died :cry:
    Edits made and not mentioned will be for typos.

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg
    WIP: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/851667/australian-world-version-1-0-uploaded/p1
  • Options
    Be aware that when playing rotationally, random romances may occur for your inactive sims. So when you return to them they may have a bunch of "lovebird" level relationships. Utterly random relationships. Also when turning off aging, make sure that you disable it for your inactive sims, not just for unplayed sims! I failed on that count with my first family and I had several played but inactive sims get old and a couple even died :cry:

Yep the "lovebird" thing has happened to me already with Cassandra Goth's husband. I was so furious I quit playing! I'm told there's basically nothing I can do about it. :(

• Options
    UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    They won't age until you turn it back on. With it off, their ages are paused. I go between aging on and aging off all the time.
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member

Yep the "lovebird" thing has happened to me already with Cassandra Goth's husband. I was so furious I quit playing! I'm told there's basically nothing I can do about it. :(

Is there a way to turn off autonomy or this type of pseudo-story progression?
  • Options
    candace92 wrote: »
    They won't age until you turn it back on. With it off, their ages are paused. I go between aging on and aging off all the time.

Thank you! That's what I thought but I have things so structured that I was afraid to turn it off and mess up all my plans.
  • Options
    AndygalAndygal Posts: 1,280 Member

No. I hope a mod will come out eventually, because it's one of the things preventing me from playing at all right now, but nothing yet.
  • Options
    Frogprincess_qFrogprincess_q Posts: 1,269 Member
    Andygal wrote: »

No. I hope a mod will come out eventually, because it's one of the things preventing me from playing at all right now, but nothing yet.

I would actually put this at the TOP of my list of things preventing me from playing. All the problems with the game and this one is THE deal-breaker for me. :confounded:
    Edits made and not mentioned will be for typos.

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg
    WIP: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/851667/australian-world-version-1-0-uploaded/p1
  • Options
    CoriChanCoriChan Posts: 197 Member
    Yeah they can still flirt but the non-controlled sims won't woohoo on their own or try for babies. They may kiss but that's still a bit much, unless you are making a soap opera game. However, I don't play rotation so all those other sims can do what they want!
  • Options
    CoriChan wrote: »
    Yeah they can still flirt but the non-controlled sims won't woohoo on their own or try for babies. They may kiss but that's still a bit much, unless you are making a soap opera game. However, I don't play rotation so all those other sims can do what they want!

This is my first time playing rotatation so it was a shock to me that relationships would just pop up on their own. Usually I just do challenges. I've been doing challenges since the game came out, lol.
  • Options
    Simslover163Simslover163 Posts: 2,833 Member
    I have aging turned off. If I want to age a Sim, I do so when I feel like it via a birthday cake. If I were to keep aging on, I feel like my Sims are getting old too quickly. First time I played, I had aging on. After I turned aging off, I noticed that the two elders of the Spencer-Kim-Lewis family passed away (I didn't t play that household at that time) and that the daughter, Olivia aged to a teenager. Same with the Goths: I noticed Alexander aged to a teen.
    sEgXZ52.jpg
    Sims 3 Blog | Tales from Veronica L. Hopkins High | Camellia Treasures (Coming Soon)
  • Options
    @Candace92 You say you switch between aging and not aging all the time. What do you do about the kids born while aging is off? When you turn it back on they're all the same age. Or do you not have any babies while aging is off?