Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ideas for improving game performance. (mainly Sims 2, some Sims 3)

gayarsgayars Posts: 2,229 Member
I have done a lot of things to improve my computer/game in order to enhance performance. I thought maybe if everybody contributed things they have done, perhaps we could help each other out and make our games run better.

Some things I have done are:

Made my game large address aware.

Clear out all unnecessary files out of my downloads folder. Examples: bmp, jpg, png, txt, htm, psd, uvmap.

Make sure that there are no duplicates.

Use the Compressorizer on my files.

Use Delphy's download organizer to identify things that I am not sure what they are.

Use Wardrobe Wrangler and HCDU.

I also have done some settings on the computer itself.

Set my computer for best performance of programs.

Raised my virtual memory limit to sky high.

Set it where most programs do not start up at startup.

Get out of any extraneous background programs before running the game.

Set my priority for realtime (windows 8) can be set in high in windows 7 when I am running the game.

Comments

• Options
    zorba2357zorba2357 Posts: 6,103 Member
    Well to be honest my motto is don't fix what's not broken. I don't like to mess with things too much if they work O.K.

Sims 2 is actually the one that needs the better video card.

I do agree about cleaning all unneccesary files out of Downloads folder. All the Zip files themselves can be removed, also sims 2 packs (some people download these to the downloads folder itself I guess and leave them there). Also pics , that is .jpg, Bmp etc. A good idea is to put ALL of this , especially the zips or sims 2 packs to a CD-R disc or flashdrive to save as a backup.

I always save the whole downloads folder AND all the zips or sims 2 packs.

Get sims2pack clean installer. I can tell you I have Tons of duplicates right now I should be culling!

If you really want to improve performance, depending ON what your game defaults to and your computer, set the game options and graphic options lower than high or super high.

Other than that I leave my computer settings alone. The games all play fine as is.
  • Options
    gayarsgayars Posts: 2,229 Member
    edited March 2015
    Yeah I keep backups too. I just have around 10 GB downloads compressed. It would be around 15 GB uncompressed.

And yes lower settings help tremendously.