Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Best Desktop for the Sims 3?

victoriae350victoriae350 Posts: 342 Member
Haha so I posted several days ago mentioning that I was looking into a laptop and wanted recommendations for one I can use for the sims 3 (specifically giving me the ability to use the sims 3 and 4 (and 2) at the highest quality). Since posting I've changed my mind and now i'm getting a desktop because they're more reliable and cheaper :P So I need recommendations...again XD Preferably something that works WELL and is affordable (in between $500 $700).

Comments

• Options
    CalvinBruce_ukCalvinBruce_uk Posts: 576 Member
    Go have a look in the tech thread, you should find posts similar to what your looking for with your budget :)
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @victoriae350 On the highest quality with all expansion packs as far as the sims 3 goes? In that price range don't know that you would be able to get even a desktop to play on the highest quality. Under $1000 would be more like it for a desktop and for a laptop $1000 and up.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
  • Options
    ChimarkChimark Posts: 2,166 Member
    When looking at the Sims 3, the thing you need to be concerned about is the graphics card. 4gb of RAM is the minimum you want. I have played all the expansions just fine with this. 8gb of RAM is more than you need, especially since Sims 3 is a 32bit game.

So look for the highest graphic card you can afford and then work backwards into a system that can handle that card.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    While technically 8GB should be overkill for this game or any 32-bit program, I have nothing measurable to report but do find that things feel like they run much more smoothly after upgrading from 4GB. My computer just didn't seem to like running with over 80% RAM in use, as it often did before and Win 7 (so I suppose 8.x as well) will grab more memory for its background tasks pretty much whenever it feels like it. If/when the game's usage approaches 3GB or just spikes up that high for a moment, there just isn't enough left for the operating system to function as efficiently as it could.

Plus with 8GB, I can keep a browser and another program or two running without constantly having to worry about maxing things out while playing the game or keeping it paused. If I land on a site where its Flash or other RAM hungry content runs away with things, that may mess up my browser session but the (paused) game is never affected.

Other players report faster startup times and (slightly) smoother play with 16GB. I have no explanation for that as it seems counter-intuitive, and neither do they, but they are advanced enough players/computer users that I still believe them. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    @igazor - I am set on 8GB, my problem right now is the graphics card. Almost every single desktop i've found so far has an intel or AMD but I want a graphics card that is 100% supprotive of the sims 3, 4 and 2. (I got all this from the graphic card section in the tech area)
  • Options
    BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Other players report faster startup times and (slightly) smoother play with 16GB. I have no explanation for that as it seems counter-intuitive, and neither do they, but they are advanced enough players/computer users that I still believe them. :)

@igazor ...
    I don't know if or how it would make a difference ... But the game runs a lot smoother on my new machine.
    I thought it might have something to do with the fact I got SSD hard drives.

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    BlackSand wrote: »
    @igazor ...
    I don't know if or how it would make a difference ... But the game runs a lot smoother on my new machine.
    While certainly not required, SSDs can have a great impact on smoothness since their seek and access times are so much better than HDDs. The tradeoff of course is that you get much less storage space for the same money. I just recently got my first computer with an SSD ever, it's great and I love it and all, but it's a MacBook Pro, I have no plans to bootcamp Windows onto that one, and TS3 isn't going anywhere near that thing. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @igazor - I am set on 8GB, my problem right now is the graphics card. Almost every single desktop i've found so far has an intel or AMD but I want a graphics card that is 100% supprotive of the sims 3, 4 and 2. (I got all this from the graphic card section in the tech area)
    Graphics cards are a bit beyond my hardware comfort level beyond being able to detect which ones to stay away from (as you can already, from the sound of it). But I see a tech responder on this thread already, so maybe one of them can offer more helpful advice there. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    edited March 2015
    BlackSand wrote: »
    @igazor ...
    While certainly not required, SSDs can have a great impact on smoothness since their seek and access times are so much better than HDDs. The tradeoff of course is that you get much less storage space for the same money. I just recently got my first computer with an SSD ever, it's great and I love it and all, but it's a MacBook Pro, I have no plans to bootcamp Windows onto that one, and TS3 isn't going anywhere near that thing. :)

Yeah ... I started using "ibuypower" for my computers a few years ago ... And wouldn't buy a "box rig" for anything now.
    I like the ability to pick and choose each individual piece of the computer to meet my expectations.
    That way I pay for the things I want extra and don't pay for the things I don't use.

Edit:
    You can also take a 21 day deferral on construction and shipment ... And they will knock up to 15% off the price.
    I mean I am not advertising for them or anything ... But it is a good deal if you half-way know what you want.

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    ShannenShannen Posts: 2,811 Member
    I have a AMD R4 270x and it runs sims 2, 3 and 4 brilliantly after making sure the resolution ect is correct in game..I also have 16gb ram and I find that as soon as you install all the games and expansion pack and nearly the store full of content..it still takes a few minutes to load. MY MacBook pro i5 4gb was a nightmare when running sims 3..it cannot handle it and took over 15 minutes to load launch so its a big improvement. My pc was over £1000 though but I definitely don't think 8bg is overkill for sims especially if you have 2,3 and 4. I don't even think 16gb is but I think it all boils down to opinion. I hope you manage to find the perfect pc for your gaming needs :)
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    While technically 8GB should be overkill for this game or any 32-bit program, I have nothing measurable to report but do find that things feel like they run much more smoothly after upgrading from 4GB. My computer just didn't seem to like running with over 80% RAM in use, as it often did before and Win 7 (so I suppose 8.x as well) will grab more memory for its background tasks pretty much whenever it feels like it. If/when the game's usage approaches 3GB or just spikes up that high for a moment, there just isn't enough left for the operating system to function as efficiently as it could.

Plus with 8GB, I can keep a browser and another program or two running without constantly having to worry about maxing things out while playing the game or keeping it paused. If I land on a site where its Flash or other RAM hungry content runs away with things, that may mess up my browser session but the (paused) game is never affected.

@igazor Its not overkill. I have 16gb ram and I have played this game on 6gb. 16gb is sooooo much better! You need more ram to run the animation this even per EA. My advice the more ram the better. My game does start up a lot quicker. My old save games load quicker.

and also realize that with 8gb ram 2 gb is used by windows so your really only have 6gb for the game
  • Options

@victoriae350 The two computers I posted in your price range for you are supported. GTX 760 Nvida is supported. I have the GTX 770
  • Options
    Chimark wrote: »
    When looking at the Sims 3, the thing you need to be concerned about is the graphics card. 4gb of RAM is the minimum you want. I have played all the expansions just fine with this. 8gb of RAM is more than you need, especially since Sims 3 is a 32bit game.

So look for the highest graphic card you can afford and then work backwards into a system that can handle that card.

You want 6gb ram minimum. The game was upped mid game and the game minimum requirements are really 4gb. EA can't change their web because 1.5 gb is listed as minimum on the disc boxes that EA cant change now. 1.5 gb was for base game only. 2gb gets used by windows, you need 4gb for the game. 6gb minimum.
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13 - LOL Thank you! :) I am a little confused. The computer mentions Intel Core and I was told that it's not good with the sims 3. I sound like a noob LOL But i'm pretty bad with this stuff XD I'll be going to Staples for my computer :P
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    @phoebebebe13 - LOL Thank you! :) I am a little confused. The computer mentions Intel Core and I was told that it's not good with the sims 3. I sound like a noob LOL But i'm pretty bad with this stuff XD I'll be going to Staples for my computer :P

@victoriae350 intel core is your processor which is fine. It's Intel video cards you dont want. I have an intel quad core processor with an nvida card.

Just so you can see this is my computer intel processor

System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
    System Model: G750JX
    BIOS: G750JX.208
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 16302MB RAM
    Page File: 2864MB used, 21082MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.17415 64bit Unicode
  • Options

well let me look on staples for you. newegg that I posted sells gaming pcs. I don't know that staples does.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited March 2015
    as an amd player i can attest that yes amd makes sweet cards just like nvidia you just need to pick one designed for gaming, so 270 or higher is very sweet and actually i service less amd gaming cards then nvidia gaming cards in tech, my hunch its software issues with the game that occur with some higher ranked nvidia cards

perhaps you are thinking of how amd does have a line of integrated video chips and i do agree dont buy the pc with those for gaming :)

also there are good arguments amd may be better designed for sims style of gaming.

as for ram the game since its LAA wont ever need more than 4gb, this is a hard 32 bit program rule. and actually if you watch your ram usage for the game you will see it mostly hovers around the 2gb, depending on your OS. the older OS are less efficient.

there have been tests that show 32 bit programs do technically get a boost from more ram installed, think of it as running better in this environment vs using more ram. but honestly i doubt anyone if watching two sims games played one with 8gb and another 16 you could tell which was which. so arguably more theory then anything else

i have a 8gb ram PC and 16gb ram gaming laptop and i have never noticed a difference running any program

so 8gb is the gamers standard because its a enough for any 32 bit game and also be able to multitask while gaming, running other programs.

• Options
    @phoebebebe13 - Okay, so if in the title it mentions "Intel Core" it's talking about the processor. Thanks! Haha, i'm new with this and I want to get a good computer first time 'round :) Like I said I'll be going to Staples or another place in Ontario. I don't buy stuff online :( But since the computer you showed me is an Asus, I'll be looking for one with a similar graphics card! :)
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    sorry @victoriae350 i forgot to add my recommendations :)

heres this option http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Xtreme_2000

my cheat sheet for gaming PC shopping:
    processor i5
    8gb ram
    card - either amd 270 or higher or nvidia 750ti or higher.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Im not finding anything on staples, They are more for office supplies than gaming computers. I would also stay away from HP and Dell.

If you want good gaming computer Asus that I posted from new egg. My computer is Asus

what Ceejay402 posted is good too
  • Options
    what ceejay402 posted is good too!
    ceejay402 wrote: »

i have a 8gb ram PC and 16gb ram gaming laptop and i have never noticed a difference running any program

so 8gb is the gamers standard because its a enough for any 32 bit game and also be able to multitask while gaming, running other programs.

EA states you need more ram to run the animation regardless of 32 bit. Especially for pets, IP, etc. EA CS has told me this several times and I guess I have been lucky that I have had several EA CS that actually play the game. I notice a big difference. igzor also posted he has spoken to people with 16gb and they notice a difference. Why you don't I don't know
  • Options
    edited March 2015

it states please enter zip code for me. I entered a few different zips and it keeps telling me to enter a valid zip code????? Im not seeing the pc at all Are you in Canada? It states Im on a Canada web so I cant see gaming computers on that web. I was looking at USA staples
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13 - I'll post the specs provided then:

SPECIFICATIONS

# of USB Ports 2 x PS/2 Style, 6 x USB 2.0
    Additional Features Includes USB Gaming Keyboard & Mouse
    Audio High Definition 5.1 Channel
    Blu Ray Drive No
    Cache 4MB L2
    Dimensions 16.8"(H) x 8.0(W) x 19.1"(D)
    Hard Drive Speed 7200RPM
    Memory 8GB