Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fixing Death and Other Musings

esharpmajoresharpmajor Posts: 1,055 Member
edited March 2015 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
My Experience

I just had my first sim die. :s Yes, finally. I've been playing slowly, 20 minutes here and there, no more than an hour/week, because I'm still dragging my heels when it comes to getting 'into' Sims 4. With long ageing and the occasional stint of ageing off, death just hasn't come up yet. I knew based on people's posts here that the reactions of other sims were going to seem hollow, so I've been dreading it more than usual.

My legacy founder, Ian, had a long and prosperous life. He had so many friends, and a big family, but alas, he was mourned only by his daughter in law. :( He deserved better. I tried to rush everyone into the room when he started goin' down, but I think I was a bit too late - they all started watching TV while the reaper sowed his grisly harvest. :heartbreak: Disappointing, but expected, so at least it didn't come as a huge shock. (Thanks for the heads up forum goers, I would have been furious if I hadn't mentally prepared myself for this lacklustre feature.)

R.I.P. Ian Sims. I will remember you, even if no one else, including your wife and children, will. *cue Sarah Mclachlan music* :cry:

My Opinion

To me, birth, growth, and death are some of the biggest concepts that the Sims tackles. Outside of interactions between Sims, I think the life-cycle and corresponding behaviour is the most effective opportunity for endearing Sims to the player, and give them a sense of completion, and connectedness within their Sim family/community. When a sim dies 'well', there should be a feeling of pride, accomplishment, and - for those sims left behind - loss. Why bother making a Sim beloved by all if he will be remembered by none? :/

I want to feel rewarded for a sim-life well lived. I want to feel that each sim is irreplaceable and unique not only because of the skills or goals he has achieved but because of the effect he had on those around him. I don't want to feel like a sim I just made in the gallery and brought into the world is just as fleshed out as one I raised from infancy. I want growth, connectedness, and a sense of lasting impact.

The milestones of the sim's lives should be important to them, and to those that love them. This all fits into the missing 'family play' that has become a constant refrain of players like me. When a new child is born, the entire extended family (family friends included) should be involved, and the same should be true of deaths. This is the easiest way I see to create a sense of 'community' and 'family' within this game. The events in our lives that bring us all together should also bring our sims together. They should support one another, and feel emotionally connected to each other. :heart:

I think the devs need to ask themselves - how do people show love? Is it by hugging each other all day er'yday? Or is it by being there for one another during the good times and the bad? Reacting in a supportive manner to successes and failures? Defending each other against those that want to harm us? I want my sim to congratulate her husband on his big promotion and want to throw him a party. I want my sim's best friend to share in her excitement as she expects her first child. I want my sim's husband to defend her honor when some random starts implying that she looks like a llama. I want my sim's mother to try to get involved with the raising of her grandchildren - for better or worse. :D Sadly, I feel the question that I am forced to ask myself while playing is: If the Sims don't even love each other, why should I?

Okay, now you have a general idea of how I feel about the topic, let's get down to the specifics. Death. What's wrong with it, and what can be done?

The Trouble With Death

Currently, the reactions appear to require line of sight at the start of the death event. The moodlet caused by witnessing death can be overridden by any other moodlets, even during the event, which may lead to a lack of visible reaction even if line of sight was achieved and moodlet acquired. The animated reaction to the death appears to be the same regardless of relationship with the victim, or traits. Sims that do not directly witness the event do not receive a moodlet, or care in any way. (Please correct me if I'm wrong here, obviously I haven't seen many deaths so I'm just going by the word of the community and my own observations.)

1. The Awareness Factor

Personally I'd be happy if the dying sim 'called out' and the sims on the lot could hear their cries and come running. I know they wanted to remove the psychic reactions, but I think when people complained about that it was mostly in regards to cheating, not deaths and births. (Please forgive me and inform me if my assumption is wrong on that.) And besides, your house would have to be pretty darned sound proof for you to not hear labour pain screams, or cries for help. In my book, on-lot awareness is an easy fix: Make them all come running. Done.

Sims off the lot are a different situation. My simplest solution would be if an active sim was off lot for the death, they should immediately be updated upon returning home and go straight to the tombstone/urn to mourn (or laugh hysterically if that's the sort of sim they are... :wink: ) They should then receive a moodlet relating to the death, which is based on their relationship with the deceased and their traits. (An evil sim who hated the deceased might get the 'death of an enemy' moodlet, which would give them a confident or happy moodlet, for example.)

An active sims should be able to inform NPCs of the death. There aught to be an "Inform friends and family of Ian's passing" option on the phone, with a simple sobbing animation and some comforting words via text box from the deceased's closest friends and fam. In person, the active sim should be able to "Inform of Ian's passing". The sim being informed should react/receive moodlets based on their traits and relationship with the deceased.

2. The Emotional Disconnect

A sim present on lot during a death should have a sustained reaction to the event for it's duration even if the related moodlet is 'overpowered' by something else. This reaction should be based on traits and relationship with the dying. Once the death event is over, the moodlet can be overridden, but while someone is actively dying in front of their faces they should forget everything else until that situation has been resolved.

Personally, I think the mood bonus for 'milestone events' should far outweigh any 'incidental' mood buffs. Perhaps this could be accomplished by having a tiered priority system: Normal moodlets would be considered Tier 1 (ie: the +1 energetic moodlet from an energized shower) while milestone moodlets would be considered Tier 2. 'Death of a Loved One' would be considered tier 2, and for the purposes of this example let's say it gives you +10 sadness. No amount of tier ones should be able to override that. It would take another tier 2 buff(s) the value of which is greater than or equal to +10 to override.

Here's an example: Kaylee's father dies, giving her +10 sadness. She might already have 10 +1's from environment, or showering or whatever, but she is still sad because the death moodlet is Tier 2 while everything else is Tier 1. Later that day, Kaylee gives birth to a new baby. The 'had a baby' moodlet is also a milestone and therefore is also Tier 2. The 'had a baby' moodlet grants her +10 happiness. Now the Tier 2 moodlets are balancing each other out, and her mood will be dictated by the tier 1 effects that remain. However, since she witnessed her father's death, it's likely that she will remain sad as she will also have the "witnessed death" moodlet which would not last as long, but would give her a significant sad buff.
This way acquaintances visiting during the death will still react to the death but in a more appropriate way. The animation for that should be shocked, upset, and uncomfortable, but not outright sobbing in the exact same manner as the deceased's widow. The death of the stranger should not haunt them as the death of a loved one would, and as such can be overridden by other tier 1's.

It would be lovely if they could recognize that they witnessed the death of someone ELSE'S loved one though, and perhaps reach out to those present who are more effected than they. Let's say Kaylee has her friend Brenda over when Kaylee's father died. Brenda had only just met Kaylee's father, but knows that his death is a huge blow for Kaylee. Great opportunity for Brenda to show a little empathy here; instead of reacting in the exact same fashion as Kaylee, she should try to keep it together, and offer Kaylee her support. If Brenda didn't really know Kaylee, maybe she would take that opportunity to head home, not wanting to intrude. It'd be hilarious if Brenda was evil, and instead of consoling Kaylee, she could 'Speak poorly of the deceased', or 'mock sorrow' for a huge relationship hit. >:)

(Random aside: I remember the first time I saw a dead body, it was a homeless man who had fallen asleep in a park and died over night. I was walking by as the paramedics called ToD. I stopped, and covered my mouth in shock and felt horrible for the man, but though it shook me up certainly, I moved on with my day. I definitely didn't burst into tears and run to sob over his body. If he had loved ones around him sobbing I may have offered them consoling words, asked if I could help in any way, but I wouldn't have started wailing louder than they were and made the whole situation about me. That would have been rude, and weird... and well... sim-like.)

3. The Follow-through

Sims who share the 'death of a loved one' moodlet should lean on each other for support; they could have the ability to 'cry on shoulder', 'reminisce about the deceased', 'share sorrows' etc.

The immediate family of the deceased should be most effected by their passing, and the extended friends and family network should come together to support them. I would love to see my sim's best friend show up with a casserole. Perhaps she could offer to clean up, or watch the kids. At the least, they should autonomously 'console' the bereaved. Family members that live off the lot should come by to share their sorrow, and comfort one another.

Most importantly, a sim's life should be commemorated! Funerals and cemeteries are a must, as far as I'm concerned.
At the risk of (ironically) raising a thread from the dead, I will simply link @halimali1980's thread about funerals here because the ideas presented there are terrific: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/13374709#Comment_13374709

Once the funeral has been held, the bereaved would have some closure, perhaps this could shorten the span of the 'death of a loved one' moodlet, or add a new tier two moodlet called 'Celebrated Ian's Life', which would offset the effects of the sadness without removing the moodlet, allowing the special interactions to remain, without the accompanying sadness.

4. The Long-Term

So the funeral is over, the moodlets have worn off, and life is getting back to normal for Kaylee. She will never think of her father ever again. Wait... no that's SOCIOPATHIC!

She should be able to tell her children about their grandfather, reminisce with others who knew him, and look fondly at pictures of him. She should be able to visit the cemetery to mourn his grave, opening up graveyard specific options like "Tell funny story about Ian", "Share memories of Ian" or "Place flowers" on his grave.

How amazing would that be if Kaylee, her husband and their kids could go to the graveyard and while all in a group convo "Have a moment of silence for lost loved ones"? (I assume you shouted "SO AMAZING!" back at me.)

Perhaps Kaylee's husband hated her father. Maybe he could kick the grave, causing the others to become upset with him! He could "speak poorly of the dead", or "tell mean story about Ian".

5. The Final Word

In a very small nutshell: I want the death of a sim to have an impact on everyone involved, and thereby showcase the sim's unique relationships, and personalities.

Look, I'm not saying death should loom over our sim's forever, but they should hold their loved ones in their hearts, not cull them like unwanted townies. The amount of depth this could add, for generational players especially, is immense. I really hope some more thought and work is put into this aspect of the game in the future. In my opinion birth and death are literally the most important component to a life simulator. Without either, all of this falls apart. As a result, I think the gameplay surrounding both births and deaths needs to be deeper than it currently is.

Do you agree? Do you have any better/alternative solutions? Do you think I'm a beautiful genius who deserves cookies? Do you think I've gone on for way too long already? Okay okay, fair enough. That's it. Hope you liked it! B)

Comments

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Nice ideas and lovely posts. I want my Sims lives to matter. I want the grandparents to pass down their wisdom, skills, and memories to their children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. I want my Sims to remember and mourn over their loved ones for more than just a few days. In the Sims 2, it was lovely having the memory system so when deaths do happen, they could still remember their dead loved one. I thought it was sweet how Dina Caliente still remembered her dead husband Michael even when that was a preset household.

With the Sims 4, I had one family the elder spouse in it kept dying from woohoo just because I wanted the couple to have kids. He died like 10 times and every time the spouse was asleep and couldn't save her husband from death with the grim reaper. There was no emotional response and she was over him in a few days. I was so upset how she reacted that I had to go back to a previous save file. I got so fed up with the emotional deaths feeling like my Sims were killing each other that I just had to mod out all the emotional deaths out of my game. It was sick and demented for me and usually I'm a deviant Simmer how quickly my Sims could die from laughter or from being angry. It just ruined my deviant play style. If a Sim dies accidentally, I want a good story to go along with it. But how the Sims could kill each other was letting the game play for me rather than me playing the game. The game was telling me how my Sims were feeling emotional rather than letting me experience their sadness when the death occurred. I can't even call the emotions real emotions because they come and go like whims and moodlets. There just isn't an emotional connection between my Sims and death and other lie events I can easily see that my Sims hate each other rather than care about each other. It's like the game is mocking me of haha your Sim is dead and their family doesn't care about it. I don't like it.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Absolutely right @Scobre,
    It's like the game is mocking me
    I felt the same way! I knew it was going to feel that way, and I'd braced myself against it but I really felt cheated by the lack of reactions from his family after having put so many hours into building up those relationships and maintaining that tightly bonded family unit. I tried to keep playing with the others, but I realized I was angry with the surviving sims for not responding the way I felt they should. I turned the game off and wrote this post in the hopes it would help me sort out my feelings about it. The sims is a wonderful franchise that these little pixel people can illicit such an emotional response from me, but right now the way S4 is handling these milestone moments is making me hate them, when I should love them.
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited March 2015
    And the answer is...C! :cookie:

LOL (that's a cookie!)

Honestly, I liked your ideas. Clearly they need to do something to improve the simulation/emotions, and you have some solid ideas that would improve the depth of the game. I can't really think of anything to add at the moment. I hope they consider implementing something.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    @HappySimmer3 Thanks for reading and for the cooookie... *nom nom nom*
  • Options
    Absolutely right @Scobre,
    It's like the game is mocking me
    I felt the same way! I knew it was going to feel that way, and I'd braced myself against it but I really felt cheated by the lack of reactions from his family after having put so many hours into building up those relationships and maintaining that tightly bonded family unit. I tried to keep playing with the others, but I realized I was angry with the surviving sims for not responding the way I felt they should. I turned the game off and wrote this post in the hopes it would help me sort out my feelings about it. The sims is a wonderful franchise that these little pixel people can illicit such an emotional response from me, but right now the way S4 is handling these milestone moments is making me hate them, when I should love them.
    All the intentional and accidental deaths I've down over the past 15 years is just coming back to me and biting me back in the butt. I guess it's good in a way of curing my deviant play style, but yes it feels like my Sims lives don't matter. I appreciate you writing the post and yes I feel like I'm starting to hate my Sims too. I just want them to act like the Sims I've known for years. They just feel like skilling and collecting guinea pigs to me right now. It frustrates me and saddens me at the same time. I mean at least I still have some emotion towards my Sims, but it's no longer positive ones. I think that's why I miss the non-object babies and toddlers so much. I loved having that aww emotional response from my game. Children are cute, but they don't fill that void I have. I want to love my Sims again too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I lol'd at the guinea pig comment! Hah. I was never a 'deviant' player at all, but a couple of times I've gotten so mad at the S4 sims not reacting appropriately that seriously considered flying off the rails and have them all laugh-murder each other. One time I got so mad at a sim for ignoring his child's birthday that I had his wife cheat on him with his father right in front of him... but he didn't respond... so I got madder and made her cheat with his brother too. No effect. Finally she went for the whole hog and cheated on him with his father, brother, sister, AND mother while all of them were in the same conversation. He did nothing. I put him in a room by himself and deleted the door. My boyfriend came home from work to witness me glaring at my monitor while my sim peed himself and cried desperatly.
    "What are you doing?!" He said aghast, knowing how much time I'd put into that particular family. (This was Sam Sims, Ian's son :) )
    "Punishing him. He's an idiot." I snap angrily.
    "And this is fun for you?"
    "..." I continue to glare daggers into my monitor.
    "Isn't that the family you spent hours making?"
    "..."
    "And you're just killing him off? Just like that?"
    "..."
    "Kinda seems like you're punishing yourself."
    *sheepishly reloads save*
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    Awww, esharpmajor, I wanted to laugh and cry at the same time. I haven't gotten that frustrated with the game yet, but that's only because I haven't really played it much. It's just too different and un-sim like for me on many levels.

I hope in a year or two things will improve, but if it's going to happen (and that itself is unclear to me) it does take time. So I guess I'd rather stick with previous games rather than to get so frustrated that I want to kill all my sims. :p
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    I lol'd at the guinea pig comment! Hah. I was never a 'deviant' player at all, but a couple of times I've gotten so mad at the S4 sims not reacting appropriately that seriously considered flying off the rails and have them all laugh-murder each other. One time I got so mad at a sim for ignoring his child's birthday that I had his wife cheat on him with his father right in front of him... but he didn't respond... so I got madder and made her cheat with his brother too. No effect. Finally she went for the whole hog and cheated on him with his father, brother, sister, AND mother while all of them were in the same conversation. He did nothing. I put him in a room by himself and deleted the door. My boyfriend came home from work to witness me glaring at my monitor while my sim peed himself and cried desperatly.
    "What are you doing?!" He said aghast, knowing how much time I'd put into that particular family. (This was Sam Sims, Ian's son :) )
    "Punishing him. He's an idiot." I snap angrily.
    "And this is fun for you?"
    "..." I continue to glare daggers into my monitor.
    "Isn't that the family you spent hours making?"
    "..."
    "And you're just killing him off? Just like that?"
    "..."
    "Kinda seems like you're punishing yourself."
    *sheepishly reloads save*
    Aww and yeah that's usually how I do my deviant style. I watch them die then go back to old save files. That's horrible the family members never reacted to any of those events. That's nice your boyfriend stopped you and made you go back to an old save file. Like my lime being set on fire story I couldn't keep the save file for. It was so horrible when it happened in my Sims 2 game.
  • Options
    To be fair he did have the moodlet that he was sad about his love having a wandering eye or whatever, it's just that he didn't DO anything because of it. It didn't effect his relationship with his family members, or her. And the room they were in was inspiring and nicely decorated so he didn't even get sad. It was lame.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    A very well written post @esharpmajor Yes, the emotions definitely need some reworking and I think your tier system is a great idea.
  • Options
    joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    Such an awesome post, wow.

I am, like you, disappointed with the reaction to deaths in this game.

When one of my elder sims died on the footpath outside her home there was more reaction from the passing sims, who stopped and gathered around her body and murmured with sad faces. They stayed for a while doing that, her son was crying, and there was absolutely no reaction from her daughter.

It was disheartening to watch.
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • Options
    Allison18Allison18 Posts: 399 Member
    *shouts* SO AMAZING ;)

I think what you've articulated here can be applied to the game as a whole. Although this specific topic is death, and I mean to stay on topic, I think everything you mentioned calls on a flawed foundation of the emotion and relationship system in the game that needs to be improved. I say needs because I think it could make the game fantastic (maybe a little bit of an overstatement just because I think there are also many other things missing aside from emotions/relationships). If the reactions/interactions you mentioned were actually in TS4 right now I'd be excited to play it, and that's overlooking the whole "no CASt" (but that's my personal grievance).

Furthermore, I think everything you mentioned can actually be implemented into the game. Everything sounds very conducive to the game engine and emotions system (especially the tier's). To me this almost makes me upset because it's so attainable. You mentioned so many tweaks that could make this game great - and that's just dealing with death! Bravo!

Additionally,
    I've never been a deviant player growing up playing the Sims. So, especially in Sims 2, when the running joke was taking the pool ladders out of the pool or boxing your Sim in a room to die I always felt kind of sad/angered. I get so attached to the Sims I make. When my friends came over to play that's all they wanted to do (kill Sims) so I kind of sat back in a huff wondering why they found it so fun.

Older now, playing by myself, I get that some people want to do that and I respect their way of simming. Do your thing. But for me, I think I've only killed a Sim of mine intentionally under 5 times. So it's so disheartening when I started making my Sim in TS4 and had a whole story planned out and what kind of Sim she would be and what she would achieve only to be flustered and confused by the emotions and ultimately bored by the repetitive task-oriented game-play, and eventually wanting the darn thing to die. Oh how the tables have turned...
    ch_dadpost.gif
  • Options
    AndygalAndygal Posts: 1,280 Member
    The OP is amazing and I agree with everything stated therein.
  • Options
    @fullspiral @joleaco @Andygal Thank you guys! :blush:

@allison18 Thank you for your thoughtful feedback! I am glad you felt what I said shines a light on a basic issue with the game; that was what I was hoping for! I don't see this (what I call 'the empathy issue') as being insurmountable, or impossible to fix. I wanted to narrow my focus to one tangible issue and try to come up with a potential solution that would make sense within the confines of the current game. That being said I'm no game designer, but I did try to consider the capabilities of the engine when coming up with solutions. It's so tempting to just say "I want it to be better!" But what exactly does that mean, and realistically, what would that look like in this game?

Anything we're gonna get in a life simulator, no matter what company it is, or what team, or what their budget looks like, it's never going to be truly realistic. The issue is finding a compromise within the game's parameters that doesn't loose the heart of what life is all about. I feel like they've missed the mark this time around. I hope they keep looking for solutions, because to me, they seem attainable.
  • Options
    bethyGracebethyGrace Posts: 709 Member
    Very much YES on those thoughts OP.

I especially support the tier 1 / tier 2 emotions idea - no amount of 'I had a lovely shower' or 'this room is pretty' should be able to outweigh the death of a loved one - and your ideas about reminiscing about the deceased sim once the grief has passed are also great.

I currently have a mod in my game that makes the reactions to life changing events have higher emotional buffs, but I always consider mods only temporary fixes. I would like to see this addressed.

Loved your story about killing your plum sim XD Very much sums up TS4 emotions & reactions :expressionless:
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    @bethygrace Thanks! Which mod are you using to effect the emotional buffs? I've been using DrChillgood's 'less good or bad surroundings' mod to lessen the impact of environmental mood effects but that's it so far in regards to emotions/reactions.
  • Options
    bethyGracebethyGrace Posts: 709 Member
    I've been using this one - http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=540468
    Haven't had any issues with it at all :)
  • Options
    ShearsyShearsy Posts: 727 Member
    I completely agree with everything that you have said. I love the idea of your sim being able to phone friends and family and tell them the bad news. That would be a lovely touch. I hate how you don't even know a close friend or relative has died if they don't live on the same lot until you try to contact them and you see they're a ghost.

I have had a lot to say over the way my sims deaths are dealt with in a few different threads so I won't repeat myself... but I strongly believe they need to sort it out. It feels like a lazy and quick attempt to create something that can be so personal to a lot of people. Death should be approached delicately.

Having lost someone very very close to me I know that the deaths in TS4 has affected me more than it should but I can't help but be so disappointed.
  • Options
    @bethygrace thanks so much! I'll give it a shot.
    @Shearsy sorry to hear you went through that, you have my sympathies. My grandmother passed earlier this year, she and I were very close and somehow I couldn't help thinking of the aftermath of her passing while playing this little encounter. I know it's a game and it's supposed to be 'light hearted' but it misses the mark so badly that it feels like a mockery to me. It belittles the entire concept of death and mourning. These aren't little villagers in some iphone rts; these are sims! The entire point of the franchise has always been to feel a connection to them, so to just pull the rug out from under us by making their deaths meaningless is just mind boggling to me.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    While tiered moodled seem like a good idea, I'm not sure we need something that complicated. With proper balancing, we can already have moodlet that can't be overridden. For example, when a Sim is asleep, it's a moodlet but high enough (+10000) to override every other moodlet. Death, birth, wedding could give a far bigger moodlet than currently to ensure it stays as the highest emotion for a given duration.

What I would personally like is to have moodlet with a decreasing score over time. So for example on the first day, your Sim would be really sad (+25), then the next day still sad (+10) but a birthday party with good food, new friends or well decorated could distract your Sim temporarily, then the third day (+3) only sad when idle/not that much happening.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    @neia

Thank you because your post made me realize it should be a 3 tier system not a 2 because I was thinking about sleep and how super low needs don't seem to wake them up:

tier 1: unimportant/incidental moodlets. Overwritten by...
    tier 2: important milestone event moodlets like deaths, births, divorce etc. (Sleep would also be on this level at a very high value, +10000 as it is now is just fine.) Overwritten by...
    tier 3: Need related moodlets that represent an immediate threat to the sim. (like being on fire, or being about to pee themselves, or starve to death.)
    +Alarm system for birth/death to ensure sleeping sims are woken and receive appropriate moodlets.

It doesn't have to be done in a complicated way, though! This tier system could be implemented by simply adding +20 to all the stuff that should be tier 2, and +40 to tier 3. That would amount to the same thing, just without the game recognizing official 'tier' titles, which is what I think you were suggesting. I'd be fine with that! I'm not suggesting that they change how moodlets work entirely, it's perfectly acceptable to create the tiers using the existing system, and consistent numbers, plus the addition of an alarm effect when a death/birth/critical need failure is occurring.

I like your idea of decreasing moodlet scores!