Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims Disappear From Contacts List?

I will have my Sims talk all day to someone to build up their friendship. Once my new friend leaves I make sure to call them before bed every night, but sometimes immediately, some days later they are just gone from my contacts list... why? Where do they go? I took days to line up someone to be my teenage boys girl friend. I was just about to invite her over now that their best friends and she's not in my contacts list... I hate to start over with someone else again. :(
Check out my latest Multiplayer Let's Play! The Off the Grid challenge - single family addition.
MPOTGthumbnail.jpg

Comments

• Options
    LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    They get culled, which means the game deletes them, so it's like they never even existed ....
  • Options
    Wasting_NightWasting_Night Posts: 800 Member
    If they disappear from your Sims' relationship list it means they were culled. The game deleted them and they're gone forever.
  • Options
    JaiSeaJaiSea Posts: 909 Member
    Okay, thank you both. Is there a mod for this or no?
    Check out my latest Multiplayer Let's Play! The Off the Grid challenge - single family addition.
    MPOTGthumbnail.jpg
  • Options
    Okay, thank you both. Is there a mod for this or no?

There's a mod on MTS that stops culling but it won't bring back Sims that have been deleted by the game.
  • Options
    Okay, good enough. I'll have to grab that, thanks so much!
    MPOTGthumbnail.jpg
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    i do wonder though if it also means they are not available for chatting. i think this has happened to me before but i was able to later talk to the townie i was looking for. im only working off of memory i haven't tested but if they are completely gone then yeah its they may have been removed though i thought relationship status is suppose to prevent that. sorry i dont think my sims are social enough to have encountered many bugs.
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    Before assuming that it was culling, check in Manage Households to see if they are still there. As ceejay said, they may just not be available to talk.

That said, the game does have a terrible culling problem, so it might well be that.
  • Options
    ShepherdmoonShepherdmoon Posts: 1,486 Member
    Apparently it's more important to keep a bunch of ghosts of NPC's around than living Sims that our played Sims recently interacted with (even though there is absolutely no possible way to interact with the ghosts ever--there are no cemeteries, and you can't call them on the phone, or do a seance... ooh, seances would be cool...). I'd think it would be a no-brainer to only automatically delete those Sims our played characters aren't involved with.
    tumblr_static_sh2.gif
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    Apparently it's more important to keep a bunch of ghosts of NPC's around than living Sims that our played Sims recently interacted with (even though there is absolutely no possible way to interact with the ghosts ever--there are no cemeteries, and you can't call them on the phone, or do a seance... ooh, seances would be cool...). I'd think it would be a no-brainer to only automatically delete those Sims our played characters aren't involved with.

One would think, yeah.
  • Options

"Weirder Stories"
  • Options
    Yeah. I was wondering if there was a mod somewhere for the ghosts too. I'm tired of seeing all those elderly ghosts in my relationships panel. I have more ghosts in there than I do living Sims.
    MPOTGthumbnail.jpg
  • Options
    WormMommyWormMommy Posts: 124 Member
    LaAbby wrote: »
    They get culled, which means the game deletes them, so it's like they never even existed ....
    If they disappear from your Sims' relationship list it means they were culled. The game deleted them and they're gone forever.

Whyyyyyyy????!!!!!!

Forever ever???

My girl just had two prospects and I couldn't decide which one she should go for and then I clicked the relationship thingy off and POOF! just like that, they were GONE!

So sad. She was saving herself for one of them...possibly both. :(
    I sim. Therefore, I am.
  • Options
    cherparcherpar Posts: 2,092 Member
    For anyone unhappy with culling, could you please consider adding your voices to this ideas thread

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/832330/stop-the-culling-particularly-generational-culling#latest
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I will have my Sims talk all day to someone to build up their friendship. Once my new friend leaves I make sure to call them before bed every night, but sometimes immediately, some days later they are just gone from my contacts list... why? Where do they go? I took days to line up someone to be my teenage boys girl friend. I was just about to invite her over now that their best friends and she's not in my contacts list... I hate to start over with someone else again. :(

Yes I've had this issue. My advise to you would be if you want to keep in contact with the sim is to go into edit town and save the sim to your library in case it gets culled. You can then make it a townie npc later. TS3 had this issue when the base game came out and it got patched. I can see this getting patched eventually.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    WormMommy wrote: »

Whyyyyyyy????!!!!!!

Forever ever???

My girl just had two prospects and I couldn't decide which one she should go for and then I clicked the relationship thingy off and POOF! just like that, they were GONE!

Maybe this is the reason singles parties got cut from the base game.

• Options
    egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member
    WormMommy wrote: »

Whyyyyyyy????!!!!!!

Forever ever???

Hey, if this didn't happen too long ago, try the "roll back your save" link in my sig. It's POSSIBLE the sims are still around in an older version of your current file. But definitely install the no culling mod first (link also in my sig), so you won't have to worry about this particular issue (until some future thing breaks it till the fix can be updated... grr! LOL).
  • Options
    egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member
    Oh another point... mapped sims are supposedly somewhat safer than binned sims. (I HAVE seen people say they've had mapped families deleted wholesale... but not if they're using DarkGaia's mod.)

Copy copy copy. I've started copying my saves onto my desktop pre-anything potentially messy (update, patch, new mod, whatever). In game, I copy sims I like to my library, and move any I for sure hope to keep into homes.

And I spin off new save files for the most random reasons (I do move older ones out of the folder periodically in case its size might contribute to issues... laptop, I'm over-managing, probably.)

It's probably different for people who play with aging on (whatever span setting) and have more than initial generations. I have aging off and am bouncing around my hood. When I can tear myself away from the forums. This game is on #2 Sunday, almost Monday morning. So pretty fresh, still.

I decided to give Deaderpool's MC Command mod suite a try, changed some settings from the config module exe now in my mods folder. First thing, it reset my Origin options. I probably need to reinstall Origin, something could be hung up there. Just trying to put it off if I can. But my Favorites dropped off too, and won't fix back. I didn't know that till after I'd chatted with Marilyn at EA. Oh well. More wasted time when I could have been playing, but having to maintain behind the scenes instead. Lovely.

I should maybe have expected that (script mod, override, duh!), but it caught me by surprise. (I think it was that, that's the biggest game change I've made recently, and everything on Origin was fine earlier.)

I still haven't made it IN to see what my game looks like now.

Edited mods, chatted with EA support, re-fixed origin options, removed localthumbcache from Sims4, optimized my hard drive, rebooted, took out mods folder (which I *almost* forgot to do!), repaired all 3 game parts, re-added mods folder, and dropped in here omw back to see if I can maybe finally get to actually PLAY some this morning. (3am, I work vampire shifts every other week, so day/time references are pretty fluid, 'round here.)
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Sims that live in houses are definitely safer than unhoused Sims ... at the moment. That's been the case since a very early fall patch: no culling touches housed, living Sims.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Jupp, anyone I really want to keep is housed. Haven't lost anyone I liked in 100 hrs of playing. Hope it stays this way. Great idea to save liked households for future use =)
  • Options
    SenbreSenbre Posts: 997 Member
    My favorite: sims 4 culling system. So we can always have new sims to play with
  • Options
    WeathieWeathie Posts: 486 Member
    I hate the culling! It ruins my gameplay. I too have had sims make friends with townies, even had romantic relationships with them only to have them suddenly disappear from my game. Makes me really sad!
    untitled-1.png