Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rural Areas, Please?

I realized something the other day: what I miss most about an open world is a variety of zones for my sims to live in. In TS3, by the simple virtue of the entire world being open, naturally you would have your downtown area, your suburbs, and then your more rural areas. You could live in any of those places. TS4, however, seems to be almost aggressively suburban. I suppose you could convert one of the "downtown" lots to a residential lot, and have your sims live in a more urban environment. However, there is no way you can get a more rural area for your sims to live in.

Trust me, I tried. I took over an entire neighborhood, moving out all other townies and bulldozing the other lots, then placing a few trees scattered around the area. It didn't matter. Sims still walked past my house, there was a packed little neighborhood full of houses in the near distance, and a newspaper vending box on the corner of the street. At best, it looked like a rundown area of the suburbs, but still the suburbs.

I want to play with recluse sims. Especially now that we have all that awesome content from Outdoor Retreat (and, trust me, I'm having a blast with it!) I want to play with a sim that loves nature more than she loves people. The kind of person who would run screaming from the suburban environment the game seems to want to pigeon-hole us into. My log cabin just doesn't look right, plopped down in the middle of suburbia. I want to play with a farmer (and not just an urban farmer, either). Or a hermit. Actually, if I could purchase the Granite Falls hermit's home, that would be awesome. Truthfully, I would love it if I could purchase one of the cabins in the camping area of Granite Falls and live there permanently. That kind of living is the lifestyle I've always played my sims with. I just wish I could continue that tradition into TS4.

Don't get me wrong; the "lively" neighborhoods are nice. There's always something happening! And the little details that make up the neighborhoods are so much fun. But sometimes ... I'd love to play with a different kind of neighborhood. Am I the only one?
Kickin' back in Sulani.