Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Genetic Adoption

A "Genetic Adoption" feature would be an easy way to simplify the complexity of artificial insemination and/or surrogacy. This is mainly for Sims in same-sex relationships, and for players who want to keep the lineage and genetics of two Sims in tact.

Currently, if my Sim can't procreate, I'll create a twin version of one of the Sims that is of the opposite sex. Then, I would make the partner and the twin woohoo to have a baby. Once the twin gets pregnant and has the baby or babies, then I will remove them from the game. However, this does make the game respond a bit weird ... the twin Sim was recognized as the sister of the original Sim, so when she gave birth to twins, the game recognized the original Sim as the uncle. In the new family tree, he's recognized as the step father. The twins are recognized as half brother and sister to each other.

If there were genetic adoptions available, I think it would be a good way to smooth out some of these issues with genealogy. I want the twins to be recognized as biological brother and sister, and I also want my two male Sims to both be recognized as fathers. The functions are already there for genetic creation, it just needs to be implemented in a different way.

It would encourage players to mix different genes, and it would give them more control over their families if they so wish.
Origin ID: Derpiez

Comments

• Options
    FawnFoxFawnFox Posts: 360 Member
    Hmm.. It's an interesting idea and I definitely understand wanting same-sex couples to have biological children! However I reckon "genetic adoption" might be a little far-fetched to put into a simulation game. In TS3 I rely on mods to help my same sex couples have babies (like Nraas Woohooer). Maybe we'll just have to wait for a similar mod for TS4?

2afmmf5.jpg

• Options
    LukeLuke Posts: 642 Member
    edited February 2015
    @FawnFox‌

I'm thinking of relying on mods, but I'm one of those simmers who feel "unclean" when using them. :P

Why do you think genetic adoptions would be too far fetched? I think it's entirely plausible, even in our reality. Humans have cloned organs, designed the Large Hadron Collider, and have learned how to split an atom.

There is already in vitro fertilisation, which means that we can fertilise a female human egg using the necessary male reproductive "material", outside of the body - these babies are known as "test tube babies". In genetic adoption, it would be exactly like in vitro fertilisation, but it would not be called that, nor would it be conveyed in a complex medical way - it would just be an option with a pop up menu to choose the two Sims who you want to mix genetics with. Instead of needing a female and a male, you could use two males or two females. I don't think it's that far fetched, especially since medical science will probably advance to genetic children for "non traditional" parents in the next decade or so.

And at the same time, I don't think it's far fetched to put genetic adoption in a simulation game that has voodoo dolls and death by laughter. :P At the very least, I would appreciate genetic adoption even if you had to have only one male and one female, so it would be exactly like in vitro fertilisation, but you get to choose which male and which female Sims' genes to mix.

Thanks for the feedback though - I definitely appreciate it. :)
    Post edited by Luke on
  • Options
    SeanT346SeanT346 Posts: 307 Member
    edited February 2015
    @Luke,

Do you mean a same-sex couple can go to a hospital type venue and ask for a genetically "engineered" baby that would combine the genetics of the two parents? After three days, someone from the hospital would drop by the new baby and it would be counted as the biological child of the couple.

I think that's a pretty great idea and nowhere near far-fetched considering we have weird and wacky sci-fi and supernatural elements in The Sims already. They could also do this with Elder female Sims who are infertile but might want to give motherhood a go later in life.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    SeanT346 wrote: »
    @Luke,

Do you mean a same-sex couple can go to a hospital type venue and ask for a genetically "engineered" baby that would combine the genetics of the two parents? After three days, someone from the hospital would drop by the new baby and it would be counted as the biological child of the couple.

I think that's a pretty great idea and nowhere near far-fetched considering we have weird and wacky sci-fi and supernatural elements in The Sims already. They could also do this with Elder female Sims who are infertile but might want to give motherhood a go later in life.

Well after the new EP, that may be a viable option, but I was just hoping that you would get the option much like you do for adoption.

For example:

> You go to the computer and choose "Genetic Adoption"
    > A screen pops up labeled "Genetics" with two blank spaces, and a preview of how the Sim looks as a child/adult/elder - the preview doesn't need to be added, I just thought it'd be interesting.
    > Choose two adult Sims who are unrelated (Depending on how Eaxis implements this system, they may allow relative genes, but that's a bit weird/redundant)
    > Your Sim then follows through the process just like if you chose a regular adoption. (Leaving the lot for a while, coming back with a new baby)

I envisioned it as an instantaneous process, though it may be more interesting if your baby is delivered to you by a scientist after three days. I also love when random things in my game happen, so I was entertaining the thought of having genetic "mishaps", but I think that would be an annoyance to most players and defeats the purpose of choosing the genetics.

I think it is great for older Sims as well.

• Options
    FawnFoxFawnFox Posts: 360 Member
    Luke wrote: »
    There is already in vitro fertilisation, which means that we can fertilise a female human egg using the necessary male reproductive "material", outside of the body - these babies are known as "test tube babies". In genetic adoption, it would be exactly like in vitro fertilisation, but it would not be called that, nor would it be conveyed in a complex medical way - it would just be an option with a pop up menu to choose the two Sims who you want to mix genetics with. Instead of needing a female and a male, you could use two males or two females. I don't think it's that far fetched, especially since medical science will probably advance to genetic children for "non traditional" parents in the next decade or so.

Hmm, you do make a good point here. Maybe it would be just like the play with genetics option? Perhaps sims could go and pick up their tube baby from the science lab haha (or a similar place in TS4, not sure if they are introducing one in the next EP)

2afmmf5.jpg

• Options
    @FawnFox‌

Yeah, that's basically what I thought it would be ... the genetic option is already there in CaS, and this would just bring it out in a different way with a few alterations to the current adoption process.