Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Consigning Sculptures, Inventions, etc. to the Humble Harvest Stands

lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,023 Member
It seems I'm always learning something new about The Sims 3 game. Tonight I found out that you can consign sculptures to the Harvest Stand (from the Al Fresco Market Venue). I knew I could sell produce and fish, but didn't know it accepted other stuff. And my items sold without me tending the stand. There's conflicting info about these stands around the forums. I've read that you have to tend them to sell things, but I was not tending this stand when all my fish and 3 sculptures sold. I got a notice pop-up listing my sales and how much I made just like with the consignment store.

I actually found this out by accident. I had a sculpture in my family inventory and when I had one of my sims stop at the cart to consign her fish, the sculpture also showed up as an option. Later, I consigned 2 more sculptures. So now I'm wondering if the stand will accept everything else that the consignment store accepts: inventions, paintings, etc. I'm going to check it out. I do know that neither the consignment store nor the stand will accept ores or metals. I tried that tonight. I also saw that the longer my items remained unsold, the less they were listed for--I checked on them a couple of times.

I bet the trick is to generate interest in the stand so other sims will shop there, whether you tend the stand or just hang around the lot. This opens up other possibilities too. It seems I am always missing the open hours at the consignment store. The Harvest stand could conceivably be open 24/7, right? And I can place it on a lot close to my home lot.

Does anyone else have more details about the Harvest Stands to help clarify all this?

EDIT: Experimented in another world and was able to consign 2 books my sim had written along with herbs, fish, and produce. Everything sold, but it did take a day or so. Again, I was not tending the stand (nobody was), but was on the lot. A sim came up and bought it all, just like before. Maybe everyone else knows all this, but it's a surprise to me! :D
Post edited by lanlyn on

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I wasn't aware this could be done with harvest stands without mods. I got this to work with Ani's Produce Stand mod, now available on our site as she has retired from TS3 modding, but as I recall even then my sim had to be on duty, tending the stand in order to sell anything.
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Produce+Stand

What I did like about the modded version is that the inactive sims who purchase things actually get to own them. Was really happy to see one of them later sit down and eat some of the outstanding quality pie they had purchased from my sims (this was way before the bakery set was released) and be able to read the book they bought. Under EA standard, usually inactive sims who purchase things don't get to keep the objects; they just seem to vanish.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    @igazor That sounds like a great mod with its extra features. But my stand seems to be working ok otherwise. Not sure why some things glitch up and others don't! I have Ani's Bistro set and have been very happy with how it works. With my store Bistro, chefs kept taking off; it was too annoying to deal with so I installed the mod.

BTW, I looked through my mods this morning, but I don't have anything that specifically touches the Harvest Stands. I actually don't have a lot of mods; I keep them limited. But NRaas Overwatch might be helping in some way. The Overwatch notes say that cleanup includes the consignment store, potion and bot stores, and the fruit/veggie stand--whatever "cleanup" means. ??
  • Options
    lanlyn wrote: »
    The Overwatch notes say that cleanup includes the consignment store, potion and bot stores, and the fruit/veggie stand--whatever "cleanup" means. ??
    That kind of "cleanup" usually refers to leftover data associated with objects that have already been sold or items lingering when the sim who was trying to sell them no longer exists. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @igazor‌ Oh, thank you. I know Overwatch does a lot of behind the scenes maintenance work, but I don't always know exactly what. I just trust it! :)
  • Options
    ScrapdashScrapdash Posts: 1,233 Member
    I've never really used the Humble harvest stands, except to place them outside the grocery and my sims occasionally pick up some fruit, didn't have a lot of luck with selling on the couple of times I tried.
    If you can sell your books and sculptures that would be great, it could be like a car boot sale set up in the local park!
  • Options
    Last night, I did some more testing in Monte Vista with another household. Placed the stand on the Hangout lot, Worries and Woes Country Pub. I was able to consign a painting, some inventions, nectar, and other garden things--all produced by my sims. So the stand appears to work like a regular consignment store in that regard. Unfortunately, this stand was not getting buyers. Sims tended it, but didn't purchase. I think I made a mistake by fixing up the venue itself. I put in the ice cream machine and the deep fat fryer AND the mill tea tables. Yes, I got carried away with decorating. :s All the sims flocked to those things. So I had my sims cancel their consignments to get their things back. I need to either find a better place to put that stand or take away the other premium items!
  • Options
    Each object in TS3 has the ability to "advertise" a certain amount of mood relief to any sim who is aware of its existence (usually on the same lot, though). Some are strictly fun, others of course are hunger, bladder, rest, etc. Shopping is moderately fun for sims, but you managed to choose three of the highest rated fun objects EA ever produced to compete with the stand all on the same lot. Thus it's not surprising your sims were saying, "Harvest stand? What harvest stand?"

The amount such objects "advertise" to sims can be adjusted with Retuner -- your favorite mod, as mentioned on another recent thread. Although of course replacing at least a couple of them with other more mid-range objects might be easier. :)

o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @igazor‌ Did I mention I also added 2 rocking chairs, a TV and video game, the barista Coffee Bar, and all-in-one toilets? <eye roll> I hate having NPCs not getting their needs met. But I definitely went overboard! I noticed 2 sims are staying on this lot day and night, the James household: Jayden James and David Haynes. They don't leave! David is a video game addict and Jayden is producing Great quality fried hot dogs now. :p Yah, I need to tone down the place, but Jayden and David are going to be very upset. :# I'll give them some instruments on a platform to jam with instead. Gah! I can't help myself.
  • Options
    miitxn29miitxn29 Posts: 1,198 Member
    lanlyn wrote: »
    @igazor‌ Did I mention I also added 2 rocking chairs, a TV and video game, the barista Coffee Bar, and all-in-one toilets? <eye roll> I hate having NPCs not getting their needs met. But I definitely went overboard! I noticed 2 sims are staying on this lot day and night, the James household: Jayden James and David Haynes. They don't leave! David is a video game addict and Jayden is producing Great quality fried hot dogs now. :p Yah, I need to tone down the place, but Jayden and David are going to be very upset. :# I'll give them some instruments on a platform to jam with instead. Gah! I can't help myself.

Oh goodness I am with ya! When I redecorate community lots I tend to reeeealllly add too much stuff for them to do. I love having lots with tons of activities...but you are right, the SIMS act a little nuttier when I do haha.