Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

*Optional* Open World

MegandtheMoonMegandtheMoon Posts: 1,831 Member
edited January 2015 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
I've seen a lot of mixed views on open world, and whether people want it in their game. I personally would love an open world (or something close) but I know there are people who really don't.

So, my thought was an optional open world. Those who don't want an open world could toggle it off, however for those people who do like the feel of an open world they could have two options - a fully open world, or a semi-open world (neighbourhoods).

I realise this is probably impossible due to the way the game has been coded, etc. but if it were possible, would you like something like this? And what option would you choose?
tumblr_nh3ivhx9ob1rs61ydo1_500.gif

Comments

• Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    I would have liked this, yes. I would have chosen open world and then if it ran laggy I would have gone with the semi open world. But as you say, almost certainly it's too late now.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    @jcp011c2‌ yeah that was what I thought too! The biggest negative with open world is the lag that some people experienced, so a semi-open world would be a nice compromise :)
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    For me, I don't really miss the open world that much. I say this because for the most part, in any of the games, it is centered at and around my lot. I might pop over to the festival or something, but rarely did I bother with the rabbithole places. I'd like open neighbourhoods though, or at the very least, bigger neighbourhoods (public spaces)

From what they said, I forget who, it is basically the way it's going to be with loading screens because of the engine. I've no idea what they can, and can't do.
  • Options
    @fullspiral I actually forgot about rabbit holes :neutral_face: EA can keep them.
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Agree. I know some people think a school should be there but either way, you can't see your kids in it. No matter what they are doing like attending a prom or whatnot.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2015
    I've seen a lot of mixed views on open world, and whether people want it in their game. I personally would love an open world (or something close) but I know there are people who really don't.

So, my thought was an optional open world. Those who don't want an open world could toggle it off, however for those people who do like the feel of an open world they could have two options - a fully open world, or a semi-open world (neighbourhoods).

I realise this is probably impossible due to the way the game has been coded, etc. but if it were possible, would you like something like this? And what option would you choose?

All I can say is: I don't really want an open world like we had in The Sims 3 because lag, things taking a big amount of time to render not many places where you could go and see inside.

BUT, I do want open Neighborhoods and I'm not sure what devs have said about this or if they are working on a way to do this, hopefully yes. Neighboorhoods are smaller than worlds so the rendering and lag problem should not be an issue and you can see the full neighborhood already, wich does not happen with the intire world, I'm not even sure the entire world is actually there, I don't think so regardless of the "art work" present in the game files, so my guess is that it would be possible at some time, just hope they don't mess with the coding of the game while doing this.

They didn't mess in The Sims 2 Apartment Life (it was a little different than the neighborhood thing but you can see my point) and it was optional in the game so...
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    Open world does not strike me as something that could be toggled. However, if it were possible, I would not mind. I don't like open world, but I know some people do. As long as I could keep it toggled off, fine.
  • Options
    MsPhy wrote: »
    Open world does not strike me as something that could be toggled. However, if it were possible, I would not mind. I don't like open world, but I know some people do. As long as I could keep it toggled off, fine.

Yes, I think I'm dreaming! Lol. But my Mum has this saying 'if you don't ask, you don't get!' ;)

Hence why I often suggest a lot of random stuff on here. Lol.

• Options
    blueasbutterflyblueasbutterfly Posts: 3,425 Member
    I think the gurus have already said that the engine ts4 runs on won't support an open world :(
    toddlersig3_zps62792e0c.jpg
  • Options
    Capt_OdeeCapt_Odee Posts: 70 Member
    I am all for a more open world in TS4. Maybe not as robust as TS3, which never lagged for me, but something close. I really do miss being able to jog, drive, ride to town or the neighbors without having to TRAVEL all the time.
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    With TS3 open world was nice and all but I only really stayed at my lot, there wasn't anything particularly special about any other places in town, I only went to other places because of goals the game gave me, the problem for me with open world in The Sims 3 was that the game never really made me enjoy going to different places, in The Sims 4, I find myself travelling around more but the loading screens are a pain and having to constantly switch back to different Sims is a bigger pain, don't get me started on the fact that they don't really do anything unless you're in the same lot as them, I wished The Sims 4 had open world for it's small towns, and just upped the amount of Sims walking around, I feel sorry for all those orphans and homeless people sleeping on the park benches due to there not being any houses available for them... but yeah, The Sims 3 makes me want to stay in my own lot and thus making open world useless for me and The Sims 4 makes me want to travel which makes loading screens a pain for me... ugh lol
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options
    urygauryga Posts: 559 Member
    edited April 2015
    Love the Idea, I traveled a lot more when it was open and then Island Paradise came out, I was Never home, it was a blast. A Vaction in a game.
    That way EA is making the game "The Way you want to play" and Just might Bring some folks back into the game.
    It would be cool to take the trolley or the steam ship across town