Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How am I able to play Sims 4 on this PC?

Hey Simmers,

I've somehow managed to play Sims 4 on my ancient PC on medium-high settings perfectly fine but I have no idea how this is possible as my PC barely meets the minimum requirements? Considering the fact that I'm getting a top end gaming computer on Christmas day I feel like my parents have spent too much on me. I thought I would download it off Origin considering the ORIGIN20 offer expires on the 23rd of this month.

Here are my specs of my current PC:

System Information
Time of this report: 9/1/2014, 19:01:46
Machine name: BEN-77AFF67F5A6
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_qfe.130704-0421)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: BIOSTAR Group
System Model: A740G M2L+
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Page File: 970MB used, 2969MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

Display Devices
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 7600 GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0391&SUBSYS_20E519F1&REV_A1
Display Memory: 256.0 MB
Current Mode: 1152 x 864 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0013.0783 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
Drive: C:
Free Space: 155.7 GB
Total Space: 238.5 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: WDC WD2500BB-22GUC0

Drive: D:
Model: DVDRW IDE 16X
Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys, 5.01.2600.5512 (English), 4/14/2008 00:10:48, 62976 bytes

Drive: E:
Model: DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys, 5.01.2600.5512 (English), 4/14/2008 00:10:48, 62976 bytes

System Devices
Name: Realtek RTL8102E/RTL8103E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC
Device ID: PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8136&SUBSYS_23081565&REV_02\4&6546BB7&0&0038
Driver: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\Rtenicxp.sys, 5.708.1030.2008 (English), 6/4/2009 14:11:01, 117888 bytes
Driver: C:\WINDOWS\system32\RtNicProp32.dll, 1.01.0716.2008 (English), 6/4/2009 14:11:01, 9728 bytes

Name: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT

Sims 3 was a crash fest on this computer and incredibly laggy and I really don't understand how I'm able to play Sims 4?

Comments

• Options
    mattgstlmattgstl Posts: 1,714 Member
    The sims 4 seems better optimised for all PC's and due to the fact that there is no open world which bogs the memory down. Lets hope this doesn't change when the DLC comes out!
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited December 2014
    Sims 4, despite being five years older, is made to run on lower end machines than Sims 3 was. This comes at a cost, though, and one that many people with higher end machines question.
  • Options
    ejoslin wrote: »
    Sims 4, despite being five years older, is made to run on lower end machines than Sims 3 was. This comes at a cost, though, and one that many people with higher end machines question.
    Then why on my high end PC does The Sims 3 continue to lag, especially in my legacy families

• Options
    edited December 2014
    mattgstl wrote: »
    Then why on my high end PC does The Sims 3 continue to lag, especially in my legacy families

There are bugs that were never fixed in Sims 3, and the engine probably could have been coded better. I don't run Sims 3 without bug fix mods (I switch between Awesome and the NRaas suite, and often have a combination of both in my games). I also downloaded worlds with the routing errors fixed.

Edit: While some people think this is a condemnation of Sims 3, it concerns me because it's the same leadership in the Sims 4. So far, they seem more responsive, but it still worries me.

• Options
    MinaInMSMinaInMS Posts: 31 Member
    Answer: TS4 is not nearly as PC demanding as people make it out to be. Maybe because of that whole "people cant afford new computers" outcry.

I think we'd have a better game if it did use more resources.. but people seem to think that the computer they bought 5-10 years ago should be able to play games released today without any upgrades required.

That said, enjoy your game :) And your new computer on Christmas!
  • Options

There are bugs that were never fixed in Sims 3, and the engine probably could have been coded better. I don't run Sims 3 without bug fix mods (I switch between Awesome and the NRaas suite, and often have a combination of both in my games). I also downloaded worlds with the routing errors fixed.
    I also did the same (especially with Isla Paradiso, the most buggy world ever!). The mods helped but it didn't fix the fundamental problem that the engine was of a poor quality. Something EA still claims to be fine!
  • Options
    LovelyMelodyLovelyMelody Posts: 896 Member
    If you're getting a high end gaming pc why dont you play sims 3 too, might make it worth it, since your old pc can run 4 ;)
    Strawberry_Shortcake_Commision_by_sugarlette.gif <~ my weakness.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

I also did the same (especially with Isla Paradiso, the most buggy world ever!). The mods helped but it didn't fix the fundamental problem that the engine was of a poor quality. Something EA still claims to be fine!

I agree that Sims 3 has bugs that should have been fixed. But I stand by my original statement as well -- that Sims 4 is designed to run on lower level machines than the Sims 3 was, despite it being a half a decade newer. And that that decision came with a cost that many people with better machines question. Including me.