May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Le Dynastie d’Angers: 84 – The Order of Oakenstead? [05/19]

Comments

• Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    @aroseinbloom Totally awesome. Allison is only related by marriage, right? But still, weird and awesome, and @bilmonaghan are you and Vivek and Heck ready for this? I mean, wrinkle city!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    BilmonaghanBilmonaghan Posts: 1,552 Member
    I think some of it may already have played out. I can see the art but I'm still waiting for all the transcripts to come back from the stenographers. A lot of them took time off for Plum Fest. "Happy Holidays" indeed!
    Le Dynastie d’Angers: 83 – WWAD?
    Annette Thayer butts heads with the late Eric Lewis on her first day as steward.
    ldd083banner.png
  • Options
    Oh, yay! Yes, Plum Fest seems to be putting a hiatus into many stories! I try to tell writers, "Don't worry! Time-space-thingy--it can all go on simultaneously!

Plus, the B&B can only hold 7 Sims at a time, so the party happens in shifts! (How fun is that?) So, Sims can go back at any time. I'm telling folks that if they need their Sims back by a certain day so they can move on with their story, just to let me know, and I'll fit their Sims time schedule into the party schedule.

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    I'll round some up tonight and see if I can get them in to see our stylist. If not, I'll just have to send them "what-not." lol I probably should only send one or two at a time, as part of the idea is to see if any want to marry off into other Worlds. You can just leave any of them there 'til they're ready to come home, w/ or w/o a partner, or move to some other World, or they wear out their welcome, or their turn is over. Anyone who comes back will get "housed" when they come home, so there's a nice consolation even if they have a disappointing Fest. If any of them behave poorly, I'll want to know.
    Annette Thayer butts heads with the late Eric Lewis on her first day as steward.
    ldd083banner.png
  • Options
    What-not is great! The Whatter-not the better! Styled is fine, too. But I love the way you styled Olivia. Classic what-not!

• Options
    The hippie household game is woefully devoid of romance... so I'm not sure what their chances of hooking up will be!

• Options
    Maybe I'll just send one to @aroseinbloom and dressed the other with stuff from the attic myself.
    ldd083banner.png
  • Options
    aroseinbloomaroseinbloom Posts: 3,456 Member
    Maybe I'll just send one to @aroseinbloom and dressed the other with stuff from the attic myself.

I will dress them however you best see fit. Just tell me what they're like in game if I don't already know :)

• Options
    CathyTea wrote: »
    The hippie household game is woefully devoid of romance... so I'm not sure what their chances of hooking up will be!
    See? This is one of those times I think I misunderstood what you meant by "Plum." Lol!

Serously, romance isn't the only reason some Sim might wanna move to another World.

ldd083banner.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I'm serious about for the hippies Plum means those little dark blue round things that grow on trees!

Edit: On second thought, I'm editing this to remove the double entendre!
    Post edited by CathyTea on

• Options
    Down to just two entendres? Yer usually good for four or five!
    ldd083banner.png
  • Options
    aroseinbloomaroseinbloom Posts: 3,456 Member
    @CathyTea I thought it was funny. But I understand your need to focus on the plum. The fruit. Not the entendres.
  • Options
    @aroseinbloom I thought I might get reported! :blush: So, I figured I'd save that line for the blog. It's from the coffee joke--have you heard it? Sweet, hot, and full of cream. (Oh, plum. I can leave this, right?)

• Options
    Le Dynastie d’Angers: Chapter 26 – The Case of the Somnambulant Sim
    How is it the unpaid intern gets stuck doing all the work?
    lddxxvibanner.png
    ldd083banner.png
  • Options
    I absolutely love this chapter. It's so brilliant. This has developed into a novel. Who cares where it goes? The plot, which drives us to turn the virtual page, is extraneous to what we really read for: the delight of the character development, the rich experience of the sentences, the thrill of seeing how these various characters combine, and the mind tickle of ideas that are just there, right out of our grasp.

My favorite part of this gem of a chapter:

*Eric Lewis's disappearing pointer!

*The shots of Eric Lewis through the window

*the observations on the distinction between being played, and not being played! (Oh! So much food for thought!)

*Oh! Oh! Oh! Eric Lewis's observations on the crowd outside his window!

*the points about the multi-generational Sim

*the compassion for Mr. Red Cap

*And my all-time favorite line of the entire chapter, "Cappuccino? Guh!"

Simply brilliant writing.

A few years ago, I read "War and Peace" for the first time. I was in 7th heaven--I was like, "Holy cow! This reading experience is so alive and so compelling and it gets me thinking and What a Treat!" Well, I feel that way reading your novel. I forget it's about Sims. It's a novel. And what a thrill to be able to read it as it's written! Installment novels! Yes! They have been reborn in the 21st digital Century! Woot!

• Options
    ... "Cappuccino? Guh!" ...
    I'm just hoping I used "Guh" right. lol!
    And I'm really glad you're enjoying this. I've been enjoying (that's not quite the right word) doing it but if it wasn't resonating with somebody else that would diminish the, uh, whatever the right word is. lol!

My local NPR station has started carrying a lot of programs about oral story telling and creative processes in general on weekend afternoons and I got stuck in the parking lot at Krogers yesterday listening to some author talking about his experience and it got me thinking about this process and it's, like, I don't feel so much like I'm writing a story as channeling one, y'know?

That's also helped me appreciate something you'd said earlier about the viture of a legacy channel for storytelling. Even if you have no idea where you're going, there's always some challenge-related goal you can rappel toward.

ldd083banner.png
  • Options
    Yeah, it's so obvious as a reader--and a partner in crime--how this is completely a creative process! I can imagine that it does feel like channeling and like it's taking over! Well, Neptune is helping a bit, I'm sure, as it brushes the Moon....

It's kind of exciting to have a vehicle for these crazy ideas, too, right?

• Options
    Oh yeah! It's kinda like having this Crazy Idea Bus. Driving around stopping at all these different stories and people and wikipedia entries and stuff, picking up and dropping off all these different crazy ideas! Ba hahaha ha! My favorite ones are the ones that sit up front and talk to the driver 'til they get to their stop. lol!
    ldd083banner.png
  • Options
    Crazy Idea Bus... the ones that sit up front and talk to the driver 'til they get to their stop. lol!

That would be me.

• Options
    Le Dynastie d’Angers: Chapter 27 – About the Author
    Allison Skinner tries to get everyone moving ahead of the coming poopstorm.
    lddxxviibanner.png
    ldd083banner.png
  • Options
    The only trouble with serials, from a reader's perspective, is that we need to wait for each installment! After I read one chapter, I'm ready for the next! Of course, with the pace you've been keeping, I haven't had to wait long. But still, I can't just read straight through.

When I read George Eliot and Charles Dickens, I've been able to read their serials straight through, having the luxury of reading an entire serialized novel in a weekend--that's something that their contemporary readers weren't able to enjoy! They had to wait months or longer between installments. Now, I'm in their position, having to wait a day almost between your chapters.

Oh, here's my stop. Later! Great chapter, by the way. Love Allison's voice, and this Cassandra is so dang sweet! (The many faces of Cassandra...)

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I know, like I have Netflix now. Hadn't had cable for years, and I love sitting and binge-watching through shows. The whole time I'm so thankful thinking, "my gawd! people would wait years for this. Poor things!"

I'm about caught up to where I'm played up to, and I'm thinking it rests in a good place to take a break from updates for a couple days
    ldd083banner.png
  • Options
    I know, like I have Netflix now. Hadn't had cable for years, and I love sitting and binge-watching through shows. The whole time I'm so thankful thinking, "my gawd! people would wait years for this. Poor things!"

We do the same thing! That's how we watched BBC's Sherlock and Endeavour, and now we're watching Blue Bloods that way--just straight through, about 20 minutes per sitting, day after day. It's fun to have it all right there!

I'm about caught up to where I'm played up to, and I'm thinking it rests in a good place to take a break from updates for a couple days

That will probably feel great for you! And your patient readers will remember the advice of Andre 🐸🐸🐸🐸: "All human wisdom is contained in these two words, 'Wait and Hope.'"

• Options
    We do the same thing!...It's fun to have it all right there!
    I kinda feel bad I'm not supporting good shows as they come out (except netflix originals, of course) but there's just no way I'm paying for cable. there's plenty of more cost effective ways to chew up idle time, y'know?

ldd083banner.png
  • Options
    I don't feel bad! I'm sure it's in people's contracts to get something from Netflix's licensing, and since I don't like sitting in cold movie theaters or watching tv, this way, I get to see great stuff without freezing and without being exposed to harmful commercials! win-win!