Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Pets, Seasons or University Life?

Ironically, despite owning Sims 4, I have recently become more invested in my Sims 3 game and thought I might expand on it this Christmas (with some hope that prices will be lower now that 4 is out!). I already have Supernatural, Late Night, Ambitions and Generations, but I am struggling to choose between University Life, Pets and Seasons so I thought I would ask others with more experience which expansion they prefer and why?

Comments

• Options
    GREENEYAGREENEYA Posts: 7,796 Member
    In my opinion:

1. Pets ( Horses, Unicorns and minior pets like snakes, turtles ect. are very fun. I also like new world )
    2. University life ( I like Plantsims, new plants for gardening and new skills )
    3. Seasons ( with Generations my least favorite expansion )

But every expansion will add something new, and make your game more fun.
  • Options
    LeelooLeeloo Posts: 130 Member
    I vote Seasons first because it makes the game play just so realistic. They're all great expansions though and in the end it's up to you!
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    •Seasons if you want your town to look 100x times prettier. The festivals and seasonal activities are really fun. Be warned, though. It doesn't come with lots of content.

•University Life, on the other hand, has tons of new items, and Sims University is gorgeous. But the social groups can get a bit annoying over time, especially if you don't want to be affiliated with them.

•Pets has a fair amount of content, and CUTE FUZZY PETS. Appaloosa Plains is a beautiful western town. But the pets are a bit needy.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    GillieGillie Posts: 1,708 Member
    Agreed. Seasons is seem pretty slim in content but the weather effects make up for it. Seeing rain fall from the sky and leaves turn orange really breath new life into worlds.

Pets comes with a really nice world and lovely CAS items. Appaloosa Plains is enough to get the EP even if you're not an animal lover. For some reason though the animals are constantly getting routing failure, or whatever it is you call it where they get stuck.

I haven't used much stuff from University except in CAS. The appeal of going to school goes down repeating with every new sim I send there. Plus, the social groups feel intrusive.
  • Options
    AngelEb95AngelEb95 Posts: 1,538 Member
    I don't have pets, so I can't really give an opinion on it.
    I think seasons is better than university life.
    attack-on-titan-attack-on-titan-s4.gif
  • Options
    Simmer_For_EverSimmer_For_Ever Posts: 210 Member
    I don't find myself using the University much, but the clothes and traits are alright.
    Pets...Well, its nice, especially for western style stuff and if you like having pets. They are really needy, though.
    Finally, Seasons. TBH, I don't have Seasons.
    [i]Awesomeness[/i]
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    Seasons is my favourite out of those. But living where we have 4 distinct seasons, sometimes all in one day (or hour), an always sunny world is beyond bizarre. So I really enjoy being able to have seasons in my game, it just feels right. And the festivals are I fun, I send my sims frequently. Having holidays is nice too, so my sims can have days off from work/school. The snow makes everything prettier, and fall is beautiful... some of the worlds are just stunning with seasons. While it didn't come with it's own world, it adds a lot to the existing worlds.

University life is pretty fun, but I hardly use it. I focus more on having families then I do on going to school and getting better careers. But it does have its perks if you want to focus on careers, having UL is a good way to get your sims into a higher level of a career, and sometimes it's just fun to let sims experience university anyway, no matter what you do with them after. And plantsims are pretty cool.

I didn't get to play with pets enough to say too much. It totally screwed up my game, and I was never able to fix it. I have a different, better, laptop now, but I think my old one (though it was supposed to be) just wasn't powerful enough to run it. I do miss it from the little bit I got to experience it, I may some day try it on this laptop. But I honestly, after the damage it did to my game, I'd have to say this is the one I'd recommend least. But if you have a decent enough computer it seemed like it had potential. Pets were adorable, even though I hardly played it I still miss the horse I had she was beautiful and fun to play with, and the world was nice.

Really the biggest thing to consider though is what best fits your personal interests and play style.
  • Options
    Corgi17Corgi17 Posts: 52 Member
    Pets - being a dog person, this was a must have.
    Seasons - love it even tho I ended up turning the rain off cause it just rained too much in the spring and fall.
    University - Those social group notices really annoy me and I never send my sims to college anymore, that got old very quickly.
  • Options
    monday_34monday_34 Posts: 211 Member
    I do not have Pets installed. I've heard it can be a bit glitchy, but animal lovers can't live without it.

I vastly prefer Seasons to University Life. The festivals and seasonal activities are some of my favorites in the game, such as water balloon and snowball fights, carving a pumpkin, pie and hot dog eating contests, setting off fireworks or playing with sparklers. The weather and umbrellas/parasols, new winter clothing, and fogged windows when its cold add some nice variety to daily sim life. It is easy for me to decide if I want to just sort of enjoy it passively with just simply weather turned on (or "low" so theres no hail or fog,) or if I go all in and attend all of the festivals and do all of the activities.

With University, you have to decide to go off to get your degree, and when you are there, it's all about, well, University Life - studying, attending classes, going to frat parties, moving up the social ladder, etc. It's much more focused, goal-oriented and you have to really make yourself do it. It is not passive at all like Seasons can be.
  • Options
    LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    Seasons! Your game will have pretty scenery :smiley:
    Aside from that, you get festivals in the big park and holidays like "spooky day" which is basically halloween. You can also snowboard, make snowmen and snow angels.
    Although I didn't like the hair that much ... but I really like seasons, I'd rank university next and pets last. But that's just my opinion :wink:

I read here for deciding which games to buy first:

http://simsvip.com/game-guides/sims-3-seasons/ (Seasons EP)
    http://simsvip.com/game-guides/pets-game-guide/ (Pets EP)
    http://simsvip.com/game-guides/sims-3-university-life/ (University Life EP)
  • Options
    Roxxgirl13Roxxgirl13 Posts: 50 Member
    I vote Seasons too. Although University comes in close second, I can't really imagine playing Sims without Seasons anymore - it pretty much just enhances the game play in a lot of ways all around, instead of adding something for a specific type of game play like most of the EP's. Winter is also so pretty in game.
    ~ despite my username I'm actually a guy and would prefer you referred to me as such ~
  • Options
    DemetriDemetri Posts: 48 Member
    1. Seasons
    2. University Life
  • Options
    ByondTime89ByondTime89 Posts: 1,505 Member
    1. The only expansion I really had was University Life, though I did have the H&M pack- I love anything that gives me more clothes and hair styles- but I loved University Life! It was probably my favorite expansion. I loved the option of having tons more jobs and different career branches. And honestly the university campus felt like a new world to me. You could live in the dorms with like 12 other Sims or get a cheap house with 2 or 3 Sims. I really enjoyed it a lot.

2. Seasons always looked great. The different seasons is more than enough for me to want it, though I never got around to getting it myself.

3. I was never all that interested in Pets. I love animals but there was always more appeal for me with the other expansions than Pet related things.

Gallery & Origin ID: ByondTime89
  • Options
    DeathJohnsonDeathJohnson Posts: 166 Member
    A question to anyone who knows, but how is the Pet AI in this game? I've had pets before in the game, but since they're controllable, I've always played them like Sims and manually fulfilled all their needs myself, which got annoying as they aren't really productive, and they don't grow up into anything productive, so they seemed annoying to have. However, if the pets AI is good enough to take care of itself, maybe I should get pets, but not micromanage them all the time and just let their free will AI take over.
    Insaniac Family Blog: http://sims3insaniac.blogspot.ca/
    My YouTube Channel: http://bit.ly/1xsbrTS (I don't do Sims videos, but you can still check it out and see if there's anything you like)
    My Twitch Channel: http://bit.ly/13Ccp3y
  • Options
    JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    Pets. They now have horses and you probably won't get horses in TS4 so enjoy it while you still can!
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've got Pets,Seasons and University Life and I love all three of them.I use things from all three and I've built my own festival lots for my custom worlds and usually replace the festival lot in an EA world with one of mine.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    ChimarkChimark Posts: 2,166 Member
    Be warned that Pets and Seasons (Along with Into the Future and Island Paradise) are very graphics intensive. You will need a dedicated graphics card to play them or your computer will most likely keep crashing.

The AI for pets pretty much follows the AI for a Sim. Odd things do happen. Like in Aurora Skies when I sent my cat to get a rodent, she took a water taxi across some river or lake. ("I've heard this happening in other worlds too.) Odd but no real big deal.

Pets was interesting but I got bored with them and usually let them do their own thing. I found by giving the pet a short lifespan, less than ten days it helped allevitate the boredom for me.

Pets can get stuck in some worlds but I use ErrorTrap and Overwatch by NRAAS so that resets them. You might want to get Register Mod by NRAAS as it lets me get rid of all the deer and raccoon which, to me, are useless. Seriously deer get stuck and all you can do is pet them.

I like the small pets (treated like objects in the game) better.

I would say if you like horses and are crazy about them, this EP rocks. I would not pay more than $10USD for it, unless you love horses, then it's worth full price for it.

Seasons is the one EP I could do without, as I usually just wind up making the winters short anyway.

UL is fun and even if you don't use the EP, the extras are awesome. So if you can get UL for under $10USD grab it, even if you don't go to UL you'll like the extras. One word when you play UL make sure your Sims socialize and have fun. I kept failing by making my Sim study too hard. They will stress out and fail tests unless you give them fun things to do.
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    Can't pick between Seasons and Pets - they're both must haves for me. If I could only have two expansions, those would be the two. I find I've played University Life very little, although I like a lot of things that came with it.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    CorininiCorinini Posts: 134 Member
    Seasons for how it makes your game look, University Life for the "stuff", pets if you want a slow buggy game that messes up constantly because there are too many strays in your town. It's the only expansion I ever uninstalled. I now put it back in but only because I use mods to stop the strays and keep people in town from adopting pets. So my personal sim can have a pet but that's it. Anything that needs mods to be tolerable is at the bottom of the list, IMO.
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited December 2014
    Thanks to everyone for their feedback. I still have some time to decide before my voucher expires, but right now I think I'm leaning more towards Pets as I like the idea of having animals and a new world/new sims in my game. I am still tempted by Seasons however, but it seems as though apart from pretty weather there is not much else to it regarding game play? As for University, I love the content but it seems many people tire of it over time which puts me off slightly. I also like to play with families. Perhaps I'll get lucky and be able to buy 2 if any offers come up for xmas!
  • Options
    Meep666Meep666 Posts: 3 New Member
    I'm having a similar decision, except with pets,seasons, into the future or island paradise. i recently watched all of the trailers for the sims 3 expansion packs, & these 4 got my interest. I will be buying it on gamestop, except i only have enough to buy one expansion pack, so which one should i get?
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Meep666 wrote: »
    I'm having a similar decision, except with pets,seasons, into the future or island paradise. i recently watched all of the trailers for the sims 3 expansion packs, & these 4 got my interest. I will be buying it on gamestop, except i only have enough to buy one expansion pack, so which one should i get?

Knowing your computer specs would be a good idea. Those are the 4 most demanding eps in the game and you need a mid range gaming desktop or a higher end gaming laptop to run them
  • Options
    _torraay_torraay Posts: 34 Member
    I think Seasons is the best out of the three, simply because it feels like time is actually passing instead of replaying the same day over and over again. I'm sort of biased as well, considering my Pets game always crashed so I uninstalled it out of anger. Appaloosa Plains is beautiful though, especially in the fall.
    2h6rm7d.jpg
  • Options
    marstinsonmarstinson Posts: 367 Member
    Seasons first, if your rig can handle the extra load, or University Life if it can't. Pets comes in third for me.
  • Options
    Gucio92Gucio92 Posts: 11 New Member
    Seasons EP brings a weather which is very important when it comes to the living simulator. There is no place without a weather. :)