Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sim Babies & Genetics

Do all sim babies arrive in the world with Brown Eyes? I've seen images of various skin tones, so I guess they don't all look identical. Babies do have slight differences in face shape, though it could be more about gender than how either of their parents look?? I don't know because I haven't aged any up yet. I will soon, but my story isn't quite ready for it. It's just that I've taken a lot of close-ups of babies and they all have brown eyes. You'd think there'd be a blue eyed one in there somewhere, unless they actually made dominant and recessive genetics again?!

So, have you ever seen a blue eyed Sims 4 baby (please show a close up pic of the baby if you have one!!) or have any brown eyed babies grown up to have blue or green eyes when they age up??

Thanks!
OriginID Starwing6
my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.

Comments

• Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    Honestly, I've never looked at the babies' eye color. When they age to children, they always have the eye color of one parent or the other. Same with hair color. One thing I've noticed is that what the child's face looks like is no predictor of what they'll look like as teen/YA/A. The child face seems somewhat generic. I have one family where the father has a very prominent nose. As children, none of his kids had the nose, but so far 2 of the 3 have aged to teen with his nose. The other had a nose shaped like his mother's.
  • Options
    NC4DMNC4DM Posts: 305 Member
    This annoys me too! Another great feature sims 2 was able to have :(
  • Options
    enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    Well, I don't know about the children. I have only 2 kids in my game, and they both have features of their parents. The rest are all still babies right now. I'm soon to age one up to child, since it's been a little over "a year" in story-time since she was born. I just wondered because all of my sim babies have brown eyes, and I would like to see the kids get some blue eyes too. In every couple, one parent had brown eyes and one had blue, so it could be just my luck... but I don't know about that.

I think the kids show some of the features though. Eye shape and cheek shape at least.
    OriginID Starwing6

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    The only difference I have seen between sim babies is the skin color and the choice of onesie.
    I've noticed absolutely no difference in facial structure. It would have been more than evident in my game since the father has unusually exaggerated features. Perfectly samey looking doll in the bassinet.

The babies skin tones are completely unrelated to the parents skintones and not indicative of what the child will age with.
  • Options
    The only difference I have seen between sim babies is the skin color and the choice of onesie.
    I've noticed absolutely no difference in facial structure. It would have been more than evident in my game since the father has unusually exaggerated features. Perfectly samey looking doll in the bassinet.

The babies skin tones are completely unrelated to the parents skintones and not indicative of what the child will age with.

Oh really? In one family, the girl baby has a really short jaw like her mom. In another family, the baby girl has a different face shape. I take a lot of pics zoomed all the way in. But like I said, they all seem to have brown eyes even though I see slight differences in faces.

So skin colour isn't necessarily indicative either? I saw one story where the baby had darker skin, and so did the baby's dad, so I thought that skintone was evident in babies. Does this mean if I made my alien girl have a baby, the baby could have pink skin and grow up to have blue skin? I would need a way to tell from birth how "alien" the baby was! :(
    OriginID Starwing6

• Options
    From what I have seen, babies all look the same. They all look like the buydebug baby in features just differ in skintone and onesie. Maybe you are seeing something different, but I haven't. Like I said, I've created extreme looking sims just to test stuff and the baby always looks the same.

No, skintone is random. You may luck out and get a baby with a skintone that makes sense. Or you may have two light skinned parents with the dark skintone baby who grows up with the light skintone. Or he or she may keep the dark skintone. Your alien can't have pink skintone yet since babies only come in five flavors. Blue, green, and the light, medium and dark fleshtones. There are only five skins for babies. From watching what others have posted, getting a baby with a skintone near the parents is random. It may happen.
  • Options
    chensaytaylorchensaytaylor Posts: 700 Member
    I think all my babies look the same, except for the onesie and bassinette bow color. I have had brown eyed infants grow into children with different colored eyes, the boy twin's eyes were lavender like his mom and the girl twin's was brown like her dad. I did notice that the blue hair I gave the mom did not ever carry over to the kids and in CAS I noticed they do not even have that color option (at least on the hairstyle I was using for the boy) Which is kinda sad since I wanted the blue hair to be genetic. The boy ended up with random brown hair.
  • Options
    Eef97Eef97 Posts: 325 Member
    I just found out about the kids to teen. The child was adorable and aging to a teen I was like what just happened!?!? So don't go by what a child looks like to try and get an idea what they will as a teen. As for babies, they pretty much don't exist in my game. They are so generic I age them up immediately and don't mess with them.
  • Options
    Okay, maybe I'll put together a collage of pictures of my sim babies, and their parents. I suppose with any alien-looking attempts, I could save just before the pregnancy, check the baby in CAS with the full edit mode, and then keep the baby if they have the genetics I need?

I guess I'll need to age more of them to teens eventually, although I know how 2 of my CAS created sim kids will look as teens because I made them teens(when I combined the parents' DNA in CAS) and aged them down to child. They had a baby in game who does have her Dad's eye shape and doesn't look like the baby girl in another family. But thanks so much to all of you for replying!

All your answers have really helped me. It really only matters when I start making aliens (I mentioned pink skin because it's easier than spelling Caucasian, and also I only mean skin colour, not race.) I'd like to see if a baby has the cc eyes or blue skin when it's a baby--for story purposes. I wish they would give us real baby sims and not placeholder dolls! There's a chance the differences I've seen are a result of a couple baby models that are subtly different just to fool us.
    OriginID Starwing6

• Options
    alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    Hmmm..I've never noticed the colors of my sims eyes but I do believe my child inherited green eyes from their parent once...So I'm not sure why all of your sims children inherited brown eyes :S
    p6tqefj
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    I went back and looked through my legacy photos. Unfortunately, I never did do any big close-ups on any of the babies. There was one where it looked like the baby had brown eyes, but when he aged up they were blue like his father's eyes. I have plenty of pictures of the children of the various generations and how their noses in no way resembled the prominent family nose that all but one got.
  • Options
    I think all of the babies eyes are default brown? All the ones I have seen had brown eyes. They don't necessarily stay that way.
  • Options
    I have one shot of a brand new baby that it sort of looks like that one has light blue eyes--but it's real hard to tell. It's a brand new one so I have to check her in many different lighting conditions. I use the TAB free camera mode to get super close on the babies. (I keep my sim babies for a long time because I love making my sims take care of and interact with the babies. I just love it. I take way longer with them now than I would if I could have toddlers, you see.)

I do have another family I made in CAS with a teen daughter and a child aged son. They were made with the use of a male sim that I deleted once I got the kids, since I wanted a single mom family (not knowing the game makes plenty of those for us! lol But still, I like mine better). The mom has a really different nose that is just perfect for her but would be ugly on the wrong face. The teen daughter has it and the child aged son doesn't have it--but maybe he'll develop that later. The children's' features are more subtle than teen and older of course, and then babies are almost identical. I do get that!

For babies, there is a clear difference between boys and girls in the face (when I have siblings I can compare side by side). I know I'm not going to be able to spot a future super model from a terribly 🐸🐸🐸🐸 sim when I compare the babies to each other--they're too little to determine attractiveness of their features. I'm just curious about the basic genetics seen at this stage.

Again today I found another Legacy story with parents having quite different skin tones and properly passing one of the parents' skintones to the baby. Unless the player edited the baby after it aged, the baby kept the darker skin he was born with. I really really hope that I'll be able to tell a blue baby from any normal coloured sim! Or see if a sim is normal in every way but got the black alien eyes (which would be awesome! I'd want lots of baby pictures of such a little one!!)
    OriginID Starwing6

• Options
    LaAbbyLaAbby Posts: 3,742 Member
    The baby eyes look demonic, or at least from an angle I took. They're all brown too. I'm pretty sure S4 babies are just generic and look the same.

As for the skin tones, one of my triplets was brown which was weird since the dad had a pinkish color and the mom was a light tan. Unless the baby daddy was someone else, which is not true.

But that brown baby aged up to his dad's color, while the other two remained the same (moms skin tone).
  • Options
    LaAbby wrote: »
    The baby eyes look demonic, or at least from an angle I took. They're all brown too. I'm pretty sure S4 babies are just generic and look the same.

As for the skin tones, one of my triplets was brown which was weird since the dad had a pinkish color and the mom was a light tan. Unless the baby daddy was someone else, which is not true.

But that brown baby aged up to his dad's color, while the other two remained the same (moms skin tone).

Oh no! This is an EA facepalm thing *shakes head sadly*

All right, I guess I will need to cheat and check the baby in CAS to see if it's alien looking, and then just say "oh he looked so normal as a baby..." LOL!

OriginID Starwing6

• Options
    bryr_rosebryr_rose Posts: 2 New Member
    I see a lot of you commenting that you have babies of both genders. Is there something special you need to do to get one or the other? I have had 5 pregnancies between 2 sims and 6 children (first time pregnancy was twins, which was surprising) and they are all boys. I have not yet had a girl child and am expecting again (would like a baby girl) and was wondering if I needed to eat something like in TS3 or is there a cheat to use to guarantee I get my baby girl? I looked thru all my notes and didn't see anything about being able to choose baby genders, but it could be I just haven't came across it yet. Also, I should probably mention that I did have all the babies in one game session, in case that is helpful. Thanks for any help or advice you have.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,345 Member
    In my normal game I never payed attention to a baby´s eye color. Most of them are born at the end of their family´s round in the rotation and aged up manually when their next round starts. In my legacy save, however, I was exited whether dad´s blue-greyish or mom´s light green eyes would get passed down. I zoomed in and the baby boy´s eyes were black. Pitch black. (Or maybe brown, but in the hut´s bad lightening they appeared black). The father didn´t go near the child or his wife until little Peter grew up to child and to everyone´s relief had his father´s eye color. It was an interesting story element ONCE. Later I learned to just ignore the oddity. Suspension of disbelief is a crucial skill for playing TS4.
  • Options
    batcatmittensbatcatmittens Posts: 1 New Member
    I have a blue-skinned father and a light-skinned mother. They have given birth to two blue babies, one light baby and one dark baby. The two blue babies both aged up with blue skin tone.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    From what I have seen, babies all look the same. They all look like the buydebug baby in features just differ in skintone and onesie. Maybe you are seeing something different, but I haven't. Like I said, I've created extreme looking sims just to test stuff and the baby always looks the same.

No, skintone is random. You may luck out and get a baby with a skintone that makes sense. Or you may have two light skinned parents with the dark skintone baby who grows up with the light skintone. Or he or she may keep the dark skintone. Your alien can't have pink skintone yet since babies only come in five flavors. Blue, green, and the light, medium and dark fleshtones. There are only five skins for babies. From watching what others have posted, getting a baby with a skintone near the parents is random. It may happen.

this is incorrect. My alien had a baby with a human. The aliej mother had green skin abd the boy turned oout that way too. When they divorced she slept with a blue skinned alien and all her daughters (2 and a pair of daughters) had blue.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png