Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm in mourning for my lap top

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I've never owned a laptop so I'm legitimately curious - don't you get CD of the operating system for re-installation? I always have with my desktops.

A while back laptops came with a CD. Not all do any more. They may have done away with them on all brands now.

Even if you don't have one you can also restore a computer without one. You do need to be able to see what's going on....and if you have a black screen...well.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    Wildley CuriousWildley Curious Posts: 5,349 Member
    I've never owned a laptop so I'm legitimately curious - don't you get CD of the operating system for re-installation? I always have with my desktops.

A while back laptops came with a CD. Not all do any more. They may have done away with them on all brands now.

Even if you don't have one you can also restore a computer without one. You do need to be able to see what's going on....and if you have a black screen...well.

Makes total sense. Thanks for your reply, and you have my sincerest condolences. Dead puters are the worst, no matter how they're packaged.
    “I was so sure that I knew what they needed and what I wanted to sell them that I never stopped long enough to find out what it was they wanted to buy.”
    ― Chris Murray, The Extremely Successful Salesman's Club
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    RIP Puter. :cry:

• Options
    Rflong7 wrote: »

:'(:'(:'( sniff
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    Sue_D_NimSue_D_Nim Posts: 2,553 Member
    My condolences.

Welcome to Windows 8. It's easier if you don't resist.

Actually, it's not that bad. I still use the Windows 7 interface so it looks normal.
  • Options
    Sue_D_Nim wrote: »
    My condolences.

Welcome to Windows 8. It's easier if you don't resist.

Actually, it's not that bad. I still use the Windows 7 interface so it looks normal.

Thanks

I've been there for awhile now. My backup laptop is running 8.1. No it's not that bad....but I don't think I'll ever really like it.

• Options
    mw1525mw1525 Posts: 1,215 Member
    edited November 2014
    I am so sorry you lost your friend. :(

If the HDD is still usable, you could purchase an enclosure and turn it into an external drive. Or, if it is not usable but you have important things on it, you could have it sent to a data recovery service (expensive) but worth it. Since Win7 is still an active (supported) OS you could have your new computer downgraded. I know those suggestions aren't the same as having your PC come back to life but, at least those ways a part of it will live on.
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    I have not experienced the "black screen of death" on my computers. My kids have mentioned this about their X-box? (I believe that's the words they used)

Reaper spares no-one or anything >:)

Sorry for your loss :'(

• Options
    KATENESSKATENESS Posts: 3,610 Member
    Aww, sorry for your loss. :(

I hope you can find some joy in your new one. Give it a funny new name and it will make you smile when you think of it. Shiny McShinerson or something? :blush:
    giphy.gif

• Options
    Thanks everyone. Day two brings acceptance. :\ Now it's loading programs I had on Puter, banging my head trying to remember email address of people, wondering if I might have some of the lost pictures on a flash drive. You know the drill.

I have not experienced the "black screen of death" on my computers. My kids have mentioned this about their X-box? (I believe that's the words they used)

Reaper spares no-one or anything >:)

Sorry for your loss :'(

I've had a lot of computers and I'd never heard of it either....blue screen of death yes...black no. When it happened I Googled the problem and apparently it happens a lot.

• Options
    Nh6650Nh6650 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I feel your pain. My laptop is a workhorse too. I shudder to think how it would be if it dies on me. At least you have a replacement ready. :)
  • Options
    Nh6650 wrote: »
    I feel your pain. My laptop is a workhorse too. I shudder to think how it would be if it dies on me. At least you have a replacement ready. :)

Be prepared. It can happen very suddenly. Puter was going on as usual and I put her in hibernation, went off to do somethings. I came back, opened her and there it was.....the black screen. No warning....nothing.

• Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    Nh6650 wrote: »

Be prepared. It can happen very suddenly. Puter was going on as usual and I put her in hibernation, went off to do somethings. I came back, opened her and there it was.....the black screen. No warning....nothing.

At least Puter went quick and didn't suffer!

Again, so sorry! I do not have a backup so I wouldn't want that to happen to me!
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    So sorry for your loss :-/ I've had to come to terms with the fact that my ancient rig (about 7 years old, still running XP) is not going to be able to handle much more additional content. The graphics card is particularly weak, and the computer can't really handle an upgrade without upgrading other bits and bobs. Frequent desktop crashes since pool update. I'm glad you have your shiny back-up; this will give you more of a chance to bond ;-)

I've got a new rig coming next week. It's Windows 8.1, which I'd hoped to avoid, but after Microsoft announced they were skipping Windows 9 (which was supposed to come out in April) and were going straight to 10 in about a year, I knew I'd have to give in soon. At least they have announced that anyone with 7, 8, or 8.1 will get a free upgrade to 10. 10 HAS to be better than 8/8.1, doesn't it? (I hope I hope I hope).
  • Options
    ImNoComedianImNoComedian Posts: 886 Member

Justin-Bieber-cries-in-new-Believe-movie-trailer.png

• Options
    MLJ28aMLJ28a Posts: 320 Member
    edited November 2014
    Sorry about your laptop. I had one that died suddenly on me too. I turned it on one day and it was dead. Motherboard failure. Non-fixable. Issues like these is why I recently gave up on laptops, and went back to building my own desktop PC. If something goes wrong with my desktop, I can easily replace that one bad part rather than replacing the entire computer.
    Post edited by MLJ28a on
    zD4X8.gif
  • Options
    plopppoplopppo Posts: 5,031 Member
    Well, if it helps, it's probably less painful than giving birth to a new one.
  • Options
    CarnieCarnie Posts: 1,237 Member
    I've had my current laptop for about 4 years. I posted about opinions on a new one I want to get, because THIS HORRIBLE THING (sorry bud) crash dumps all the time. It still works, but I lie in wait for it to randomly happen...
  • Options
    plopppo wrote: »
    Well, if it helps, it's probably less painful than giving birth to a new one.

Ouch!

@ImNoComedian did you just Bieberize this thread? Man I feel bad enough! :disappointed:

• Options
    plopppoplopppo Posts: 5,031 Member
    What was it's name? :(

Nothing fancy....just Puter.
    It's Pooter.

You don't call them Puter - it's Pooter.

No wonder it died - probably topped itself in shame.

Puter

• Options
    plopppo wrote: »
    What was it's name? :(

Nothing fancy....just Puter.
    It's Pooter.

You don't call them Puter - it's Pooter.

No wonder it died - probably topped itself in shame.

Puter
    :D:D:D

No this was a classy gal who didn't poot. Her full name was Computer. It was puter for short.