Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Living Off the Grid Challenge -- Let's share our stories

I recently restarted the Living Off the Grid Challenge created by @lotlot80. My first attempt at this Challenge went haywire, so I'm giving it another go.

The basics of this Challenge are that the Sim lives at one with nature. "No phone, no light, no motorcar, not a single luxury" (points if you can identify that quote :)). S/he lives off the land, gardening mostly.

My Sim, Flora Freespirit, is doing... ok... so far. I'm probably making things a bit tougher on her, because not only does she not have modern amenities at home, she shuns those things everywhere. She has stayed mostly on her own lot because other homes and facilities ( gyms, bars, museums) all use electricity. She is currently in Week 2. I assume, by the end of the week, she will travel to the parks and other open areas to supplement her gathering activities.

I just realized I have no pics of Flora herself, but here is one of her humble abode, Nature's Nook:
TIaTOAh.png

I like Flora's home because it has all floor-to-ceiling windows, so there's plenty of light. It's a good thing she's not shy, because she's always on display when she's in there. I gave her a bit of modesty in the bathroom, though -- the windows are all along the top of the room.

Speaking of the bathroom, I took a bit of liberty with the Challenge rules (I hope that doesn't disqualify me). The rules state that you must have a house and an "outhouse". I attached the bathroom to the main house. Doesn't have lights or even a door -- just an archway.

So far, the hardest parts of the Challenge are fun and food. You'd think gardening would provide fun for a Gardening/Outdoors Sim but it doesn't. And many of the things that DO provide fun require electricity. Other things that provide fun take up a lot of time which she really doesn't have. With regard to food, it's difficult to keep her fed with no kitchen. She has a grill on the back patio, but it's soooo expensive, not to mention wasteful! Each meal is a group meal costing at least §32 and leftovers must be thrown away because she has no refrigerator. I usually throw it away while she's asleep because it would break her natural little heart to see how much food goes to waste.

I'll post updates (and a picture of Flora) as I go along. In the meantime, I'd love to hear from others who are also trying this challenging Challenge!

Comments

• Options
    lotlot80lotlot80 Posts: 758 Member
    @SimPoseyYum So glad that your trying my challenge again. I actually like to make challenges that have replay value, so that's great. Hope it goes better this time and can't wait to see your progress. Don't worry about the outhouse rule, I only came up with that to use the new build tools.

"shuns those things everywhere" .... that is going to be pretty hard to do.

BTW, more people would see this post (your progress on the challenge) if you switch to title around to read like this:

Let's share our stories -- The Living Off the Grid Challenge

Thanks again

♥♥---->>> Please Leave A Comment On My NEW Builds Thread !! --- I'd Really Appreciate It. <<<----♥♥

lotlot80 wrote: »
    @SimPoseyYum So glad that your trying my challenge again. I actually like to make challenges that have replay value, so that's great. Hope it goes better this time and can't wait to see your progress. Don't worry about the outhouse rule, I only came up with that to use the new build tools.

BTW, more people would see this post (your progress on the challenge) if you switch to title around to read like this:

Thanks again

Doing well with the Challenge, but I'll say it's really hard! Lots of firsts for me. First time not paying attention to whims. First time not spending ANY rewards points. First time not caring about making money. And of course, trying to find other ways to keep Flora entertained without TV or computer.

It's also tough trying to keep needs met. Really tough.

With regard to shunning electricity everywhere, it's not as bad as I initially thought. Flora's nearly finished with the Challenge and her only exposure to electricity-using facilities came when she had to use a public bathroom at the park (she was desperate!). Given that she's always at home before nightfall, she hasn't even been out when the electric street lights come on. She's a totally solar gal. With planning (and a little luck), it CAN be done.

I titled it that way to highlight the name of the Challenge. I wanted to give the Challenge top billing :). Thanks again for creating it. I hope to have some updates in a few days.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I believe, with your determination you can master this challenge. I agree, it is pretty challenging... even for me, and I created it.

As for the title, I just thought since my challenge isn't that well known yet, people might not care enough to take look at a thread that began with just the name of my challenge. If it began with "Asylum challenge" (just an example), they probably would.

Anyway, good luck on the challenge.

♥♥---->>> Please Leave A Comment On My NEW Builds Thread !! --- I'd Really Appreciate It. <<<----♥♥

And we're done! Whew, this was a toughie! Sadly, I was not able to complete all the requirements. I ended up having to make an executive decision to call it early. I had to choose between taking at least another week to gather up all the collectables vs becoming an Elder and being hit with daily penalty points.

So, here we go with scoring:
    • Gardening Collectables -- collected 14 @ 100 points each = 1,400 (cuttings from the wild don't count, darnit)
    • Gardening Skill -- achieved 10 levels @ 100 points per level = 1,000
    • Fulfilled Freelance Botanist Aspiration = all 4 sub-aspirations = 7,100
    • Fulfilled Angling Ace Aspiration = 4,000
    • Missed 2 bedtimes @ -100 per missed = (200)
    • Aging -- spent 17 days as adult @ -100 per day = (1,700)
    • Number of times using phone -- 0 times @ -1000 per use = 0
    • Number of rewards used -- 0 times @ -1000 per use = 0
    Total score = 11,600

Had fun doing this one. Thanks again @lotlot80. I hope some more folks try it!

Pics to follow.

• Options
    SimPoseyYumSimPoseyYum Posts: 995 Member
    Living Off the Grid: Flora Freespirit's Journey

I never got a pic of Flora when she started, but here's one of her in the park after a few days getting things set up at home:
    hR8gwE7.png?1

And here's another of her home, Nature's Nook. One of the reasons she liked this location was its proximity to fishing. She could fish almost from her back deck!
    qfdJmUL.png?1

One of the hardest things for me (player) was getting her to bed by 9:00. It seems criminal to me (bona-fide night owl here :D).
    wlABlVz.png?1

Who knew an exclusive diet of veggie burgers could lead to weight gain? I mean, veggie burgers??? Really? That's literally ALL she ate for the entire challenge (and half the time, she didn't even finish them):
    Fn0qFuH.png?1

But all those veggie burgers paid off in skills:
    PLtahv8.png

More pics in next post.
  • Options
    SimPoseyYumSimPoseyYum Posts: 995 Member
    Flora even kept a trash plant. She walled it off behind a hedge, in case the neighbors complained about the smell or sight.
    rwUL4uk.png?1

So, here we go with some bottom line images. Maxed out Gardening Skills:
    XH1qljL.png

Fulfilling the Freelance Botanist Aspiration (there was a long delay between when she completed the Aspiration and when it actually registered, even though the timestamp in the two photos is the same):
    s2jLFQL.png
    6T6XlWf.png

Maxed out Fishing Skill:
    p625Zv4.png

Fulfilling the Angling Ace Aspiration:
    024n8ln.png

As I said in an earlier post, the hardest part was keeping needs in the green without electricity. Flora had to grill all her meals and grilled meals are, by default, group meals (and very expensive). You'd think Gardening would provide fun, but it does not. Talking to plants is a very slow way to build social. And for some reason, Flora often didn't get completely clean in the shower, so she had to take 2 (sometimes 3) showers to get a fully filled bar.

The other hard part was finding Gardening collectables. Perhaps it's me but I found them very difficult to find. And once I found a few, they were View only.

Overall, it was a very fun Challenge. I learned a LOT. Two major things I learned: our Sims are at the mercy of electricity (as are we, probably) and Sims 4 gardening is sooooo labor intensive! You'd think it would at least provide Fitness skill, because poor Flora worked her tail off -- yet her tail continued to grow and grow :D.

• Options
    SammiSimSammiSim Posts: 6 New Member
    I am doing this challenge but I don't know how to do pics so here goes. I have been playing all this week and being out of work due to heavy snow storm in western NY. I have reached the Freelance Botanist aspiration. I haven't had to many problems keeping my sim happy. I have her paint or read books. Bedtime is fine and no problem. When she gets up I have her go potty, take a shower and then use the grill for breakfast and use what is left at dinnertime , then throw the rest out. I planted the common plants and I had no problems grafting. I even used fish for fertilizer. I have collected 13 or 14 of the gardening collectibles. Now is where I am having trouble. I can find the pear and cherry tree but they are always view only. She is getting ready to grow into an adult and I hadn't planned on keeping points but just following all the rules. I am thinking of buying a weight machine or punching bag as they don't use electricity. I do send her for a jog. I have been to all the neighborhoods in one world and the commercial district to find the flowers and trees and sage. I have even been to the glades every day and those trees are view only. Is it really that difficult to get them to harvest?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    @SammiSim The trick with some plants is to take a cutting asap, and graft it onto a plant you own. "Carl's" e-guide comes highly recommended as that's the guide that helped me collect all the plants. Remember, if you can get her focused she will garden faster and learn skills faster. BTW, stay safe, I heard the weather is really dangerous out there, and a second round is on the way in the days to come.

As for food and exercise, I impressed. I didn't think of these when I play-tested this. :)

@SimPoseyYum I'm happy you enjoyed the challenge.

Thanks, I just saw a you tube video to get cuttings and then graft instead of waiting to harvest. Love the info that I got off the URL you gave me. I have been grafting a lot but not the right plants lol. Yes, I am in western NY and not far from Buffalo. I have 3 feet of snow and on the 2nd storm now. Haven't had work for 2 days so have been playing a lot of the Living off The Grid challenge. I think once I have acccomplished it all I may continue on with this sim.
  • Options
    DeeWrayngedDeeWraynged Posts: 102 Member
    This challenge sounds really neat. I think I'll bookmark it for a later time :)
  • Options
    eeyore315eeyore315 Posts: 1 New Member
    > @SammiSim said:
    > Thanks, I just saw a you tube video to get cuttings and then graft instead of waiting to harvest. Love the info that I got off the URL you gave me. I have been grafting a lot but not the right plants lol. Yes, I am in western NY and not far from Buffalo. I have 3 feet of snow and on the 2nd storm now. Haven't had work for 2 days so have been playing a lot of the Living off The Grid challenge. I think once I have acccomplished it all I may continue on with this sim.

I am in buffalo as well right in the south side and we have 6 ft i have been playing sims for 3 days cause we havent been able to even go out of our houses. I think i might just have to start this off the grid challenge.
  • Options
    CulturesCultures Posts: 53 Member
    Ahh there are so many interesting Sim challenges, I don't have the time for all of them! This is another one that I for sure want to try soon.
    Are there any rules on spouses? I'd love to start the challenge as a little family of two naturalists for some extra fun.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Cultures wrote: »
    Ahh there are so many interesting Sim challenges, I don't have the time for all of them! This is another one that I for sure want to try soon.<br />
    Are there any rules on spouses? I'd love to start the challenge as a little family of two naturalists for some extra fun.

@cultures

When I created these rules, I never really thought about the spouse aspect, so there are no points associated with them. However if you choose to start a family, that's perfectly fine. I don't see how that would interfere with the challenge, except it may make it either harder or easier, depending on whether you utilize the other household members to do things or not (like finding collectibles).

For example, after I officially play-tested it, I played it with a family, but without keeping points, just for fun, and I had my Sim garden, and her hubby fish. Playing it like this was easier than playing it alone because my Sim had help completing the required tasks.

@lotlot80
    Yeah I was thinking that I would separate the activities so that one fishes while the other gardens! I also think it'll be easier to deal with the social need as was mentioned.

I think I'm also going to try and max as many skills as I can without the use of electricity for another little challenge (:
    Although I will be cheating a little bit and using a fridge.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    @lotlot80&lt;br />
    Yeah I was thinking that I would separate the activities so that one fishes while the other gardens! I also think it'll be easier to deal with the social need as was mentioned.<br />
    <br />
    I think I'm also going to try and max as many skills as I can without the use of electricity for another little challenge (:<br />

That sounds great, I may revise the challenge to include families. I'll give you credit for the suggestion.

On the other hand, that extra "little challenge you mention though, I won't be adding since people seem to be having a hard time with this challenge as it is.

@lotlot80&lt;br />
    Yeah I was thinking that I would separate the activities so that one fishes while the other gardens! I also think it'll be easier to deal with the social need as was mentioned.<br />
    <br />
    I think I'm also going to try and max as many skills as I can without the use of electricity for another little challenge (:<br />
    Yes, not having a refrigerator definitely made this a hard-core challenge :). Not only did Flora have to make every single meal from scratch (she had nowhere to keep leftovers), she had to make every meal as a group meal because you can't cook singles on the grill. It would have been nice to make the group meals and put the leftovers away. Would have saved so much time. Not only that, but with a refrigerator, Flora could have even skipped cooking a few times and settled for a yogurt or cereal.

• Options
    CulturesCultures Posts: 53 Member
    I bought the icebox fridge, which in the description says something about being old-fashioned and not electric etc. so I don't think it's too far of a deviation from the challenge. It for sure has been helpful though!
  • Options
    SammiSimSammiSim Posts: 6 New Member
    If you take the plate of food and put it in the family inventory and pull it out for every meal then it doesn't spoil. There is no wheres in the rules that says we can't do that.
  • Options
    beautifull407beautifull407 Posts: 6 New Member
    lotlot80 wrote: »

Thanks again

Im thinking about doing it too :D
  • Options
    ivyrose44ivyrose44 Posts: 42 Member
    I just started challenges, this will be my fourth. I don't like to give up and I do hope I can tackle as much of the list as I can and perfect the challenge I want to add too. I know this is a few years after you made this, but I'm game!
  • Options
    > @lotlot80 said:
    > @SimPoseyYum So glad that your trying my challenge again. I actually like to make challenges that have replay value, so that's great. Hope it goes better this time and can't wait to see your progress. Don't worry about the outhouse rule, I only came up with that to use the new build tools.
    >
    > "shuns those things everywhere" .... that is going to be pretty hard to do.
    >
    >
    > BTW, more people would see this post (your progress on the challenge) if you switch to title around to read like this:
    >
    > Let's share our stories -- The Living Off the Grid Challenge
    >
    >
    > Thanks again

This challenge won the poll I took on what to try, so here I am. Thank you for creating this!
  • Options
    > @ivyrose44 said:
    > I just started challenges, this will be my fourth. I don't like to give up and I do hope I can tackle as much of the list as I can and perfect the challenge I want to add too. I know this is a few years after you made this, but I'm game!

I was meaning to say third.