March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Three Little Sims Challenge

cefthycefthy Posts: 45 Member
EDIT: As of February 2017, I'm logging back onto this forum for the first time in over six months, as I haven't been active on it, or been playing sims much at all anymore (I still love it; I'm just a very casual simmer now as I don't have much time to play and have just lost interest). Because of this, I'm going to officially abandon this challenge as it is. SO, if anybody would like to take this and run with it, like adding updates for game updates or expansion packs and just generally do better than I have, feel free to! (Just make sure you credit me and Addict1220 :) ) Happy Simming!

I've noticed that no one has created a TS4 version of my personal favorite challenges from The Sims 3: The Three Little Sims Challenge! Of course, all credit for this goes to Addict1220 on The Sims 3 forum. Please alert me if somebody has already recreated this challenge, and I just overlooked it :)

The Basic Concept:
This challenge follows the lives of three sims cohabiting the same lot. Using a rotation schedule of three days, you will control each sim just one day in three. The other two days, they will live their lives on their own; they will choose whether to go to work, make dinner, or hang around in their skivvies.

The Set-up
1. Create a family of three adult or young adult sims in CAS. You may assign the traits and lifetime aspirations as you like. The three sims should be roommates, nothing more.

2. Create a lot for the three sims to live on. The total cost should not exceed your starting amount of cash. The lot should include three separate homes, each with all of the essential items. Each home may also have a bookcase. No other fun objects or skill builders should be present on the lot. Set your funds to zero after building the houses. To do this, open the cheat console and type "testingcheats true" (no quotes), hit enter, and then type "money 0" (again, no quotes). This is TS4's version of familyfunds i suppose (sure is a lot easier to remember...)

3. Move the sims into the lot and assign them their homes. For storytelling purposes, this is their "house." Of course they will move in and out of one another's homes as you play because there is no way to mark a house as theirs, but careful photo work can give the feel that each one has his/her own home. EDIT: You may add a communal dining area outdoors (i.e. a picnic table) once you have the funds to do so.

4. You may control the sims for the first day (through 8 a.m. the next morning). In this time, you should get them each a job. I would also recommend doing some cooking to try to build up their skill in this area so they do not set themselves on fire the first time you turn your back.

5. At 8 a.m. on Monday, you should begin focusing your work on just one sim. You may direct him/her to your heart's content. The other two sims should be left on their own to do as they wish. I would recommend checking in on them from time to time to see what they're up to, as this is where many of the ideas for any stories will come from.

6. At 8 a.m. on Tuesday, switch to the next sim. You will continue to use this 8 a.m. time to mark the beginning of each new day. The rotation should stay the same throughout the challenge. Sim 1 will always be Sim 1. There should be no changing the order around once the challenge has begun.

The Rules:
1. Sims should only be controlled on their assigned day. No keeping the tinkerer from electrocuting himself! If a sim is on fire, the sim you are controlling may run to extinguish it. If the sim you are controlling starts a fire or is on fire himself, you may attempt to stop his panic and put out the fire. If he continues to freak out, just hope the fire department is timely. (Please make sure to include a smoke detector in each home to help keep those simmies alive!)

2. You will need to keep a running tally of each sim's bank. Once per rotation, you may spend the money an individual sim earned on something for his home. Consider wants and career promotions in these purchases. Don't forget to leave some money so that the three little sims can pay their bills (oh, those Sims 4 bills).

In playtesting, I've found it very difficult to track each sim's earnings, so if you would like to opt out of this rule for a more commune style of playing, where all money is pooled, that's fine. If playing this way, only the active sim that you are controlling can buy items and they MUST be for the sim's own house.

3. You may move in other sims and even get married. However, these sims should not be controlled. Only the original three are controllable sims for our purposes. This is also true if a sim chooses to have a child. (The decision to have a child will be a burden to all controllable sims on the lot. If a particular child is getting low on needs you may click on the sim to find out what is wrong and ONLY the current sim you are controlling may meet this child's need so the social worker will not come to the lot.

4. If a sim autonomously finishes a painting when you are not controlling him/her, you may move it (either sell it or hang it in their home) so that he/she can use the easel again if the mood strikes.

5. You may move a sim who is stuck somehow, even if he/she isn't the active one you are controlling at the moment.

6. You may use any life expectancy for the challenge. If you are keeping score, please just include the length of game you selected.

7. When you are controlling a sim, he/she should only use objects in his/her own house. What they do when you are not in control, however, is totally fine.

8. This challenge ends when all three of your sims die. If you're playing with aging off, congratulations on creating a never-ending challenge!

Purpose:
To see how successful our sims can be on their own. To hopefully laugh at some silly things along the way. To serve as a distraction from other, more difficult challenges and projects. To declare a "winner" of our three sims and maybe compare scores with other players. If you'd like, you can declare the first sim to complete their lifetime aspiration the winner of this challenge. (Thank you to Glimmer50 for suggesting this idea!)

Share your sims and homes in the gallery with #threelittlesims!

People doing lps/stories of this challenge:(comment and I'll add you!)
SofeeSims (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZmSuwsZfA4FP0Ld_ZaVf_1uldW2jxr33)

Scoring: (written by Addict1220 since I personally do not use or really even understand scoring in challenges)

At the end of the challenge, please note the lifetime expectancy you used for the challenge.

Additionally, please complete the following for each of your three sims (if you wish to keep track):

Sim: Name
Lifetime Aspiration:
Aspiration achieved? Yes or No
Total Aspiration Points:

Career:
Highest Level Achieved:
Additional Career Info (ie. second jobs, elder jobs, etc.):

Skill Points: Total adding all points for all categories together
Items collected: # (this includes seed, bug, and gem types)
Other important achievements: # of Books, Paintings, etc.

Money earned: Sell all items purchased by the individual sim or total up your running tally.

Family: Total members
Friends: Total number
“If there's one thing I've learned, it's this: We all want everything to be okay. We don't even wish so much for fantastic or marvelous or outstanding. We will happily settle for okay, because most of the time, okay is enough.”
― David Levithan
Post edited by cefthy on

Comments

• dmama1314dmama1314 Posts: 262 Member
    This sounds really neat!
  • Good_Ol_JasbertGood_Ol_Jasbert Posts: 2 New Member
    edited October 2014
    You said we can only use objects found on our lot. Are we not allowed in the community lots?
    EDIT: nevermind, I just realized you meant house, not lot.
    Also, are we allowed to marry two of our challenge Sims to each other?
  • cefthycefthy Posts: 45 Member
    > @Good_Ol_Jasbert said:
    > You said we can only use objects found on our lot. Are we not allowed in the community lots?
    > EDIT: nevermind, I just realized you meant house, not lot.
    > Also, are we allowed to marry two of our challenge Sims to each other?

I don't see why not! As long as you are only controlling one sim at a time, how their lives go is pretty much up to you.
    “If there's one thing I've learned, it's this: We all want everything to be okay. We don't even wish so much for fantastic or marvelous or outstanding. We will happily settle for okay, because most of the time, okay is enough.”
    ― David Levithan
  • SimPoseyYumSimPoseyYum Posts: 995 Member
    edited November 2014
    I've been alternating this Challenge with a few others I'm doing. I'm having so much trouble!!!

Day 1 went swimmingly. Each of my guys found a job, learned to cook and acted like they'd known each other all their lives. They all got plenty of sleep and were ready to start Day 2. And that's where it went downhill.

These guys cannot take care of themselves! I can't tell you how many times they've collapsed, butts in the air, because they're too goofy to know when to go to bed. With no locked doors or assignable beds, they're stumbling all over themselves, waking each other up or barging in on each other when using the bathrooms. They can't get to work on time, they don't eat when hungry, none of them has enough initiative to clean or repair broken items. They are just pathetic messes (and yes, they have high autonomy). Whichever two are not under my control are usually crimson in just about every need. It takes me all day to turn the controlled one back to green. We're in Week 2 -- I'm not sure these clowns will survive another 2 weeks!

They're cute as the dickens, though, so I have to let them try :).

Sims 4 was advertised as having Smarter Sims. Obviously, they didn't play THIS Challenge before saying that! :D.

Whoops, sorry about the "plum" above. I didn't consider it a forbidden word, but I suppose I can see where an automated moderator would catch it. It was the last name of the English author of A Christmas Carol and A Tale of Two Cities. Charles...

Post edited by SimPoseyYum on
    > @SimPoseyYum
    Glad you decided to try it out! Personally, my favorite part of the challenge is watching the silly automated sims behave strangely. But maybe that's just the sadist in me ;) And this challenge really does tear down the "tactile and intuitive sims" message.
    ― David Levithan
    Uh oh, I think I'm going to have to start over. I just re-read the rules and realized I've broken several of them. I allowed my controlled Sim to use whatever facilities were available on the lot, rather than just using the stuff in his own house. I did not keep track of their finances individually -- I pooled all their funds. And I think I'd like to impose a time limit -- 8 weeks sounds about right.

I assume each house must have it's own bath, kitchen and entertainment (TVs, stereos, computers, etc.). Is it ok if there is a common eating area, say a picnic table out in the yard?
    Well, it's official. Since I deleted my first attempt at this Challenge, I'm starting over. Keeping the same crew, since I like them. We have Xavier (my painter), Yousuke (my writer) and Zach (my techie guy).

Picture this: Three fellows, moving into the same townhouse condo development on the same day. They introduced themselves to one another in the Common Area as each was lugging his belongings into his unit. The units are attached but have separate entryways. Friendships sprang up immediately as each recognized that the others had wicked senses of humor, and they spent a good portion of the afternoon joking around. It was as if they'd known each other all their lives.

As the day wore down, they decided to share a meal before heading off to their individual units. That Xavier in the long-sleeved shirt, Yousuke in the black tee and Zack with the scarf:
    Bvn0yAz.png?1

And here is the development. As you can see, it's sort of a fixer-upper. Doesn't even have siding and the lighting is abysmal. Poor guys can barely see inside when it gets dark out!
    jpOikyG.png?1
    It doesn't look as dark in the picture as it does in-game because I took the photo in the afternoon AND I brightened it significantly (photoediting) before posting it.

Three questions and one observation:

Question: Given how much money flows in and out (painting expense, painting income, salary and wages, food expenses, it is really difficult to keep all the finances separate. Is this essential to the Challenge to keep the finances separate?

Question: One of the scoring components is to meet a Lifetime Aspiration. That sounds Sims 3-ish, since you couldn't easily change Lifetime Wish. However, since we can swap Aspirations anytime in Sims 4, do we need to keep the same Aspiration for the whole Challenge? Is the Challenge over when all 3 have completed their first (and only) Aspiration?

Question: Unlike Sims 3, there is no way in Sims 4 to determine number of paintings or books created. Are there other SIms 4 type things you'd like for us to achieve to satisfy this particular Challenge?

Observation: Make sure not to spend all your start-up money when first starting the Challenge. I'd say, leave a bank of 2-300 to cover incidentals. I spent all the way down to 19 and barely had enough for the guys to feed themselves that first night. Poor Xavier couldn't even paint because it costs 50 to make the smallest painting. And, since I had neglected to buy a trashcan, they couldn't do dishes (because they hadn't cleaned their plates).

Having fun so far -- just completed Week 1, Day 2 :).

• feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    I like the idea of this challenge but I would have a hard time knowing who earns what.
    @SimPoseyYum Since I have been playtesting this, I've also notices how difficult it is to manage the finances. It's not necessarily essential, especially since I strongly believe that rules in challenges should be seen more as guidelines than strict laws. For your second question, I reccomend keeping track of how many aspirations each sim completes (provided you're the kind of simmer who can easily complete multiple aspirations in a single lifespan [which I'm not]. On the subject of ending the challenge, I'm planning to continuing until all three sims die (thought I put that in the rules... Oopsies! I'll do it now). Or you can play with aging off if you prefer challenges that never end. And for the last question, I have to say I'm not sure, but I'll be looking into that soon. I'm having some issues with Origin right now, or I would have explored the stats in game before responding. On another note, your sims are adorable! I also love that you worked in a storyline, I'm always making up complex backstories for the challenges I play.
    ― David Levithan
  • Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    edited November 2014
    OMG!! Another challenge I want to try. This one goes on the list.

At first, I was thinking it would be too hard to keep track of who earns what. I would treat this more of a hippie commune type thing. You could just spend the money earned at the end of say each week and divide it up among the three. Less keeping track. Although, I guess you could spend the money they made at work. You wouldn't really have to keep track since the notifications tell you what each Sim made that day. Just make sure your notifications don't fill up like mine do LOL.

I could see how different personalities would make this very interesting. Like you could have a woman and 2 guys and throw in a romantic Sim and see how they interact. Will love blossom? Or would nothing happen.

I would play with normal lifespan and aging on and like you said: Challenge is over when they all die or all three complete their lifetime aspirations whichever comes first. I also don't like keeping track of points so I wouldn't do that either. But this sounds like fun. For me, completing one aspiration would be more than enough especially if I can't control the same Sim all the time. In fact, that might be tough, thus part of the challenge.

Edit: Just a thought but the winner could be whichever Sim completes their Lifetime Aspiration first. Or for an additional challenge they would also have to be at the top of their career. That would be hard in one lifetime since you are only controlling one Sim at a time every 3 days on the same Sim.

@SimPoseyYum I LOVE your house and guys. That is what got me involved in this challenge.

Edited again: I have a question about this rule: 2. Create a lot for the three sims to live on. The total cost should not exceed your starting amount of cash. The lot should include three separate homes, each with all of the essential items. Each home may also have a bookcase. No other fun objects or skill builders should be present on the lot.

So does this mean no TV, computer, easel, radio, etc. Nothing that is fun or would build skill until it is needed for their job or just until they earn the money? I am assuming we want to start out with practically zero funds after building the three houses right?

Sorry for all the questions and stuff.
    Post edited by Glimmer50 on
    > @Glimmer50 said:
    >
    > Edited again: I have a question about this rule: 2. Create a lot for the three sims to live on. The total cost should not exceed your starting amount of cash. The lot should include three separate homes, each with all of the essential items. Each home may also have a bookcase. No other fun objects or skill builders should be present on the lot.
    >
    > So does this mean no TV, computer, easel, radio, etc. Nothing that is fun or would build skill until it is needed for their job or just until they earn the money? I am assuming we want to start out with practically zero funds after building the three houses right?
    >
    > Sorry for all the questions and stuff.

No problem! Yes, you would start with the bare essentials, and I used the "money <amount>" cheat to set my cash to zero afterwards. This isn't required though. You may buy anything you want once your sims have earned the cash. If you're keeping track of how much each sim earns, then you can spend their earnings on items that they need/want. Otherwise, you can just buy whatever any of your sims wish for. *quickly adds this to rules*
    ― David Levithan
    Glimmer50 wrote: »
    ... I would treat this more of a hippie commune type thing. You could just spend the money earned at the end of say each week and divide it up among the three. Less keeping track...
    It is *really* hard to keep track. Money was flying in and out of the account, because each fellow is cooking food and earning money at work and Xavier was making paintings (each small costs §50), then selling them at who knows how much... I can only imagine how much more hectic it'll be once Yousuke starts getting royalties and Zach starts selling his programs and doing freelance work. Yikes! I'm liking the pooled finances idea more and more :).

...Like you could have a woman and 2 guys and throw in a romantic Sim and see how they interact. Will love blossom? Or would nothing happen...
    Could get *very* interesting!

...That would be hard in one lifetime since you are only controlling one Sim at a time every 3 days on the same Sim...
    This is very true. During my first (failed) attempt at this Challenge, I found that by the time I was back in control of a Sim, it took virtually all day just to get his needs sorted. Hadn't washed, hadn't eaten, nearly about to wet himself... the guys are adorable but they stink at looking after themselves.

...@SimPoseyYum I LOVE your house and guys. That is what got me involved in this challenge...
    Oh, thank you!!! I like the way they turned out and was very happy to see them get along so well right off the bat. Funny note: I chose those names, X, Y and Z, to help me remember whose house was whose :).

...So does this mean no TV, computer, easel, radio, etc. Nothing that is fun or would build skill until it is needed for their job or just until they earn the money? I am assuming we want to start out with practically zero funds after building the three houses right?...
    Oh nooo! I hadn't noticed that rule! Eep, that means I goofed AGAIN!!! When I created these guys, I knew Xavier was going to be a painter, so I automatically placed an easel in his condo. And I knew Yousuke and Zach were going to need computers, so I furnished them at the start. Do I need to remove those items? *sniff* Do I need to start over? (Not a major tragedy -- I haven't had a chance to do much since my last post, so if that's the way it is, I can live with it). I suppose it makes sense. They probably shouldn't have access to those amenities until they can afford to buy them.

If you want me to start over (which would probably be the fairest thing to do), just say the word :).

• Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    If I was you, I wouldn't start over. I would just figure out what that stuff costs and then reduce your money down that much because in reality you could find a few rocks and almost afford all that stuff in a couple of Sim days. Plus, that would still be fair because if you pay the stuff back it will take you longer to get other things so it all works out in the end I think. Or you could just take it out now and reduce your money back down to zero, then buy it again when you can. In the end, it is supposed to be a fun challenge so I wouldn't worry about it. :) But that's just me.
    @SimPoseyYum Oh, you don't need to restart if you don't want to! I completely agree with what Glimmer50 said. There are some major edits needed in the rules that I'll do tomorrow when I have time. And @Glimmer50 I did type up some answers to your questions, but my computer is not doing well today, so I am very sorry. Anyway, edits coming tomorrow!
    ― David Levithan
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,087 Member
    This sounds so fun! @SimPoseyYum - I love the town houses! The guys are cuties, too! I'm playing a Roomies challenge, which has a similar nonplayable aspect, and the Sims in that game are really good at taking care of themselves! So maybe it varies by Sim? I'm adding this to my list of challenges to play!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    @Glimmer50 Thanks for the suggestion to back out the funds. And for the encouragement. I wouldn't have minded (terribly) starting over but saving time is nice, too.

@cefthy Thanks for the go-ahead. I put the guys on hiatus because I wasn't sure how to proceed. I've started a different Challenge in the meantime, so when that finishes up (in the next day or so), the Three and Me will be back in business (I know it's bad grammar but "...the Three and I" didn't have the same snap :D). I hope you and your PC are back on speaking terms now. Scary-amazing how much we depend on them, isn't it?

@CathyTea Hi there! We seem to enjoy the same sorts of Challenges -- so glad you're giving this a go! Thanks for the comment re the guys -- I need to get some more pics of them. Their official household pic is adorable (they look like a boy-band) but I don't know how to post it since it's CAS and not an in-game screenie.
    @SimPoseyYum - You could press the Print Scrn key. Then, if you have a graphics program, open it, create a new image (try ctrl + N) then paste (ctrl + V). Then, save the image as .png, .jpg. or .gif...

It is fun that we're drawn to the same challenges! I've been thinking about this one, and I feel like starting right now, but I think I will wait until I finish the Mooch off Your Neighbor challenge. (I don't want to have so many challenges going at once that I forget about my legacy!)

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • simbody872simbody872 Posts: 828 Member
    Oh goodness another fun looking challenge! I like the time frame and that I can control the other sims at least one or two days a week instead of like the ISBI challenge that you only control one sim every generation. I will have to wait though I have too many irons in the fire already! If I start one more thing I will 'never' get my chapters written for my legacies!
    A Legacy Challenge. The Benton Legacy
    A Prettacy Challenge It Ain't Easy Being Green
    @CathyTea I've tried that but, for some reason, it didn't work. There's probably some really elementary thing I'm overlooking. I'll keep trying :).

@Simbody872 I hear both you and CathyTea. It can be overwhelming to have several Challenges/Legacies going simultaneously. I generally try to keep it at 2 and even that can be taxing.
    edited November 2014
    Wheee here we go:
    wk4yXmq.jpg

A little out of focus but not bad for my first (successful) attempt! Thanks for encouraging me to try again, @CathyTea!
    Oh, that's boy band material! What cuties!

After careful consideration, I've decided to start over. I fired up the old file this morning and realized I had done almost a full week. Finances were a tangled mess. It had been so long since I worked with the fellows, I forgot who had done what. Starting over also allowed me to make a few minor changes to the condo, making the units more uniform. Here's the new (and I hope improved) condominium development:

iYi9CK9.png?1
    1u4Egkv.png?2

I'm keeping the same basic backstory. Three young fellows, all moving into a brand new condo development. Since they're all new to the city and new to their respective careers, they made a pact to help each other get established. To this end, they've decided to pool their finances. The last thing I need to do before getting officially re-started is to spend down the last §146 of start-up money. Then, the guys can start with a zero bank.

The furnishings are pretty barebones right now. Bed, chair, kitchen and bath. No computers, no TVs, not even a radio. Here's hoping they'll soon earn enough to properly kit out their homes!
    I'd love to say the re-start of the Challenge also gave the fellows a fresh start to show me how much smarter they are.

Nope.

I got a week under our collective belts and they're still as doltish as ever. I'm surprised they haven't all been fired yet. They go to work late, come home tense, can't figure out whose bathroom is whose, bypass perfectly good sinks to go to one farthest away... As I said before, they're lucky they're cute.

I refined a few extra rules for my own play (I wasn't sure if these were the official way):
    1. The only Sim who can buy things is the active Sim and he can only buy for himself. So, for example, if there's enough money in the kitty to buy 3 TVs, and Xavier is the active Sim of the day, he can only buy a TV for his unit. Yoshio (who? Yoshio??? More on that in a moment) and Zach have to wait their turn.
    2. I cannot check ANYthing on the non-active Sims. I, the player, treat them as if they are NPCs, like townies. I can't check their moods, inventory, when they have to be at work, nothing. The active Sim can interact with them, of course, but other than that, I, the player, have absolutely no access to any of their information. I try to not even watch what they are doing on the lot. I focus only on the active Sim.
    Oh, and Yoshio? I changed Yousuke's name to Yoshio it may be easier for others to pronounce. I love fulleditmode :).
    @SimPoseyYum - What a challenge! I'm so tempted to start right away, but I've sort of promised myself to wait until Drifter is done... or at least until Winter Break! I like the name Yoshio! I love the lot you chose--I did the Wonder Child challenge on that lot, and it was perfect. Also, your condos are great! Really nice job to do all that with the starting finances--just 20K, right? Oh, and how hard not to be able to check anything on the nonactives! Do you think you'll try another one sometime, like maybe with smart girls, or something? Just to see if they handle the autonomy better? I think I'll try building logic as soon as possible--I have noticed that Sims with some logic make smarter decisions on their own!

@CathyTea , Hehe I hear you about having more Challenges than time :). I found I can't do more than one at a time -- I forget who's doing what with whom, and that can get awkward.

Thanks for the comments about the condos! I like the way they turned out and after playing a week, it seems to function well. No blind spots. The start-up funds were §24,000 -- I managed to spend §23,999 (hehe the guys couldn't even afford a garden salad for move-in night dinner!). Most of the furnishings and fixture are builders' grade, which is the vibe I was going for. I envision these as generic, cookie-cutter condos. Hey, I just figured out the name of the development!

Good point about Logic. I hadn't thought of that and have never really spent time on it in any of my games. As for doing the Challenge again with three women? It's a definite possibility :).

I'm familiar with Winter Break, but what's Drifter?