Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New with CAW and in need for some answers

I have just started experimenting with Create a World, and was wondering if you could help me out with answering some questions? :D

1. Is it possible to edit Isla Paradiso? When I try to “open world” there are only Sunset Valley and Riverview.
2. Can I edit the colour of the water (from the standard blue to the more Turkish one in Isla Paradiso?). Or is it just the terrain colour I can change?
3. What is the deal with the layers? What are they for, and how many do you usally have?
4. How do I soften/delete the edges around the “platform”? I have tried using softening tools, but they just stay square and edgy. :(

Hope you can help me! Than you :)

Comments

• Options
    HopeAKHopeAK Posts: 309 Member
    edited October 2014
    Edit: solved the problem :D
    Post edited by HopeAK on
  • Options
    Sweet2Sweet2 Posts: 1,736 Member
    1, I know someone put the Isla Paradiso World files available somewhere, I'd have to google it or you could do it yourself
    2, I think people use mods for that
    3, check this blog out, really helped me when I attempted a world
    4, the blog should help with that too :)
    My Page Another lot and Household Uploaded :)

• Options
    Thank you @Sweet2 ! :D
  • Options
    found it :) others may be available there too

• Options
    so you have to dowload it, @Sweet2 ? :)
  • Options
    Yes, download and move the file to the right folder in the CAW one, don't remember which it is :blush: I haven't used CAW since I fixed up my laptop

• Options
    But is it safe? @Sweet2 . I do not want any viruses that will mess up my game :(
  • Options
    I never had problems with it, but if you're unsure better safe than sorry

• Options
    kellycot1kellycot1 Posts: 2,226 Member
    I believe those files are safe, as Cawster is a pretty well known resource, but you can do it yourself, @HopeAK. It's not exactly easy to get your head around at first (or I found it that way), but you can do it with some persistence. Here's the best place to look for information on how to import the world into CAW. There's a few guides there and lots of extra info. Once you do it once, it's a lot easier to do it again.

Just make sure you back everything up first, in case you do something silly, and DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES SHARE THE WORLD. Though Cawster seems to get by without trouble, you have to be extremely careful if you reupload anyone's work, including EA's. There's definitely potential to get banned, although that might be less true for an Expansion Pack world like Isla Paradiso; I know there have been some crackdowns on the Exchange for Store worlds (and I believe an EP world or two). If you're just using Isla Paradiso for yourself like most people do, there shouldn't be any trouble, but keep in mind that you can't/shouldn't distribute it.
    a.k.a. Erin
    Check out The Simdex—my PDF guide to all of the Sims 3 Store content (last updated September 2015)
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    If you downloaded the world from Cawster, you won't have to import the world files into CAW. You only have to uncompress the downloaded files and place them anywhere- your desktop is fine.
    Open CAW and navigate to the folder/world files on your desktop and then save as... CAW will save it in the World folder.

The hard part is learning to use and edit prebuilt worlds in CAW.

You should never reupload anyones work without permission- imo.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone! So there is no chance that my game or computer would be harmed by doing this @Rflong7 ? :)

@kellycot1, I have actually made a world from scratch(pretty decent to), however, no matter how much time I spend changing the water colour(with terrain paint), it just isn’t the same as Isla Paradiso. So perhaps just editing Isla Paradiso would be easier?
  • Options
    Shadecaster101Shadecaster101 Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited October 2014
    HopeAK wrote: »
    And, when I use the valley tool in order to create an ocean around the island, the water is just green(like the grass underneath), not blue as the rest of the ocean. This does not seem to be a problem for all of those making the teaching videos.. What do I do?

Make sure view fog is on. If you turn it off, you see the terrain underneath. It is also possible that your water level is just too low in comparison to the terrain at its bottom. Once the terrain and and water surface get close enough together, you can also see the bottom. Try raising the water level, because their is a point where you can't make the terrain any deeper, but you can make the water level rise.
  • Options
    kellycot1kellycot1 Posts: 2,226 Member
    HopeAK wrote: »
    Thank you everyone! So there is no chance that my game or computer would be harmed by doing this @Rflong7 ? :)

@kellycot1, I have actually made a world from scratch(pretty decent to), however, no matter how much time I spend changing the water colour(with terrain paint), it just isn’t the same as Isla Paradiso. So perhaps just editing Isla Paradiso would be easier?
    Your computer and game won't be harmed as long as you follow the steps, either downloading through Cawster or editing Isla Paradiso yourself. Of course, there's always potential for error - like if you deleted your game, then obviously that's going to be bad! :p

So, just be careful to make proper copies and always follow the steps carefully. Editing Isla Paradiso (or any world) can be tricky; I like to add more lots and flat land to the EA ones (and fix routing errors), but this usually takes me a few tries to get right. That said, I'm a perfectionist and I want my EA worlds to be exactly the same, but different. Silly, I know. One big problem is terrain 'tears', where seams appear around the edges of lot if you disturb the land. It's not a huge deal, but can (and in my experience WILL) happen if you sculpt land; it can be fixed, but it takes a keen eye and more seem to pop up. If I recall correctly, some of the EA worlds have these same seams though already.

As for the water, I just realised you might be talking about Sunlit Tides! At least, I don't remember Isla Paradiso having a different water colour, but I could be wrong. Either way, if the water looks different, it's because it is a different blue, so your options are editing the EA world with the water you want or editing the Ini (I believe) files of the world you make. I honestly don't know much about it, but you can change things like the sky colour, water colour, daylight settings, etc. In this case, you'd need to extract the Sunlit Tides (or IP) water colour and add it into your world. I couldn't find this in the CAW tutorials sticky in this forum, but I found this thread at Mod the Sims that seems to explain it, and it points you to this other thread. I hope that helps. You can always try Googling it some more if neither thread gives you clear enough instructions.

Best of luck and happy Simming! :)
    a.k.a. Erin
    Check out The Simdex—my PDF guide to all of the Sims 3 Store content (last updated September 2015)
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Thank you so much for your help :)
    Post edited by HopeAK on