Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Discussions With WildSafari8: Modding Too Soon?

There have been many mods that have come out for The Sims 4. A lot of Simmers are saying that it is good that there are so many mods out already, and others have been saying that it is to soon. So, what do you think?

Pros For Modding Early:
-Better understanding of game
-Better mods will come out sooner due to experience of mods

Cons For Modding Early:
-More harmful and buggy to game
-These aspects can be added later in the game

Personally, I don't know how I feel about this. Maybe you guys can persuade me about which side is better! Thanks everyone! Happy Simming!

Comments

• Options
    Srikandi715Srikandi715 Posts: 1,753 Member
    edited October 2014
    I don't even understand the "cons" list :pensive:

Mods aren't going to get any LESS buggy by not being made, lol. They only get better through people making them and gaining experience, and people using them and giving feedback.

And if a mod you install is buggy, you take it out. No harm to "the game".

In any case, mods are made by individual modders, and installed (or not) by individual players. There's no "central committee". So no point in taking a stand on "early modding" :p Modders make the mods they want to, when they want to, because they love to mod.
  • Options
    FogityFogity Posts: 122 Member
    So, I will not comment on the pros list as it is true and obviously so, I will instead comment on the cons list.

"-More harmful and buggy to game"
    This statement shows a deep misunderstanding of how modding works, and how modding knowledge and tools mature. It is true that modding tools and modding know how become less buggy and more informed with time. But this is because mods are developed and experiments are done during this time, waiting would only result in postponing this without any other benefit.

"-These aspects can be added later in the game"
    This is not only true now, this is also true in the future. This will always be true, and if you limit yourself by it then you want go anywhere.

The conclusion: Modding is good.
    Played since The Sims 1 and now makes mods for The Sims 4:
    Gender Less - Gender neutral pronouns and titles
    Hidden Highlight - Removes the white outline
    Unlocked CAS Parts - Unlocks hidden CAS items
  • Options
    pboxpbox Posts: 630 Member
    How is this a technical discussion anyway?
    Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Pbox, it can become technical as we go :) My tuppence-worth is that I think there is some truth in the proposition that publishing mods for the sims too early in its life cycle (as opposed to personal experimenting and not publishing) can cause more broken mods and broken games than if there had been a postponement to the sharing. The rationale for this is that the game does not get a really good workout and feedback until it's released. By about 6 months in, usually quite a bit of upheaval takes place to the code at EA's end and they release patches that break everything, including the tools! After that initial overhaul, life gets a lot more predictable.
  • Options
    SimKureeSimKuree Posts: 39 Member
    The current modding is just add some components or modifying the existing game data files. As along as they keep updated, they won't have any issue with the game.
    You can find my S4PE here.