Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Question About Foundations and Fences

Java_JoeJava_Joe Posts: 21 Member
I noticed on the gallery some lots have homes with a foundation that is 2-3 levels high and then fences that are at ground level, how do they do that? It seems whenever I build a house with a foundation, and then try to put up a fence on the outlying parts of my lot I end up with a fence with a foundation under it. I've tried knocking out the floor and what have you, and while it puts the floor at ground level the fencing itself still has a foundation under it. I am really curious how the house foundation and no foundation fence combo is accomplished, because I can't for the life of me figure it out. Thanks in advance for any answers.

Have fun :)!

Comments

• Options
    JBEAR1JBEAR1 Posts: 537 Member
    It seems to me fences don't make foundations themselves, but do when you drag from a wall. So start at the other end and go towards the wall.
  • Options
    Hmm, JBear1 I've tried making fences that aren't even attached to the walls of a house with a foundation and they end up with a foundation under them, hence why I am so puzzled by this. Clearly I am missing something here.

• Options
    WildSafari8WildSafari8 Posts: 55 Member
    You have the make the fences disconnected to the house first (leave one space of fence in between), and then attach it to the house. It is also helpful to the fence one side at a time, and not an entire shape at once. I hope this helps! :)
  • Options
    Ah yes, using these new square room tools is asking for trouble. I go manually old school all the way ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I tried to post some pictures to show what I'm talking about, but apparently I haven't been around long enough to post image links. Kinda silly.

It doesn't matter if I used the room tool or the single wall tool, it doesn't matter if the "fence wall is connected to the house with a foundation or not, no matter where I place a wall that I intend to turn into fencing I end up with a foundation under it if the house has a foundation, and thus my fence ends up with a foundation as well.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Ah. If you want a fence why are you placing a wall to turn into a fence. Just place a fence. Have fun ;)

Remember, old school.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Thanks JBear1 you just made me take another hard look at the fencing options and I finally noticed the "place fence by drawing" tool. Finally I can build fences without foundations. Thanks so much!

• Options
    ToughDondon2006ToughDondon2006 Posts: 9 New Member
    I FIGURED IT OUT I FIGURED IT OUT!!!When on the fence tool there is a couple of options on the side click the one that looks like a sqaure then your fence wont have a foundation underneath!im so excited!!