Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

About TSR...

ChubbyKatzeChubbyKatze Posts: 564 Member
edited October 2014 in General Mods Discussion
I don't want to start any flame wars or bring a bunch of hate against the site, this is an honest question about the Sims Resource site and I seriously mean no disrespect to any creators or owners of the site itself.

I've heard a lot of bad things about it from being spammed with other sites while on TSR to downloading a virus or pup-offer ware issue. I don't claim to believe all of them (seeing as people are kind of naive about anti-virus programs in general) but there have been so many negative statements. It is just hard to ignore. Again, I honestly do not mean anything rude by this inquiry I am just trying to keep this computer safe and running happily. (It isn't mine, mine isn't with me it's a long story and I don't want to get into it lol) It will be another week till I get mine back and I am jonesing for Sims, big time.

I'm not looking to start arguments and I don't want to appear rude. If I do, I'm really sorry. And I'm incredibly socially awkward if you cannot tell.
Do people use it a lot still? Is it alright or do people have a lot of issues with spam downloads or anything like that?

Edit: Because I'm a tired idiot lol I just realized I didn't ask the question I initially started the thread for.
NXw3zOT.gif
Post edited by ChubbyKatze on

Comments

• Options
    simfeetundersimfeetunder Posts: 2,260 Member
    I've been downloading from TSR for years without issue and have done so recently also. I think people are bananas. haha
    I'd think that if a large site like TSR or MTS were to pass people viruses they'd have gotten in trouble by now.
    HSon1Mq.png
  • Options
    TwistedMexicanTwistedMexican Posts: 652 Member
    edited October 2014
    Worked as a Desktop Administrator for about ~5 years. I can tell you in most cases, when someone claims they got a virus from a site, they actually got a virus from some toolbar, or other piece of software they downloaded previously without being careful. It causes the ads to show up regardless of which site you're at, but the user usually blames whichever site they visit when the ads first start showing up.

Now in addition to that, TSR gets some flak for not sharing their discoveries without some complaint, if at all. Instead they use it for their proprietary tools to maintain exclusivity. So some users might be angry about that and are simply spreading rumors, but no - the TSR site is not infected in any way.

Personally I tried uploading my mods to it and it was such a painful experience that I'm just not bothering. Their upload tool and the site need some major work.
    [Sims 4 Cheat Resource] || [My Mods - Base Game] || [My Mods - Expansions]
    [Lifetime Skills || Set Age || Full House ||Persistent FullEditMode || Persistent TestingCheats || DayWalker Vampires]

I'm now on Twitter. I'd love it if you joined me there :)
  • Options
    lovelylisaclovelylisac Posts: 1,291 Member
    I used TSR for Sims 3 with no problems, and have been using them for Sims 4 since day 1, also with no problems. I've never had any computer virus at all, but I use antivirus software. Had the usual issues with bad CC for Sims 3, but not due to TSR. Mostly from downloading prepopulated worlds that were contaminated with bad CC.
  • Options
    SugarysimSugarysim Posts: 440 Member
    I've been using TSR for years...no issues here. There are a lot of ads to deal with unless you join the VIP thing, which to be honest is pretty cheap and a lot cheaper than the subscription used to be.
    E6Gi2HA.png
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    There were community politics at the root of these rumours. No one I know has ever got a virus from TSR, and I know a lot of simmers.
  • Options
    DaisiesDayDaisiesDay Posts: 913 Member
    I've been downloading from TSR to feed my Custom Content addiction for almost five years. I've never received a virus from them. They have a wide variety of items and are just as safe as most other sites.
  • Options
    ericaduhericaduh Posts: 670 Member
    TSR has never been an issue for me and I've been using their site since 2007!
    my simblr - http://ericalovessims.tumblr.com
    origin id & other social networks: ericaduh
  • Options
    kerryn96kerryn96 Posts: 205 Member
    I have not had any problems with the site. I too, used to be hesitant to download from it because of all of the bad things I had read about it, but eventually I just went "screw it, I really want that cc" and downloaded from there. Ran a couple virus scans afterwards and there was nothing wrong. I honestly think that all the talk about TSR having viruses and plum is just a case of people jumping on the bandwagon and claiming that it is a bad site, just based on what they've heard on the internet, not their own experience. Besides, if it were really passing on viruses, it wouldn't be such a large and popular site. I also use and adblock extension on my browser, so I never see these ads people talk about anyway.
  • Options
    _orangemittens__orangemittens_ Posts: 512 Member
    They have a really bad history. It seems now they're working to repair that for whatever reason. It's up to the downloader to trust or not.
  • Options
    MangAnimeJeMangAnimeJe Posts: 563 Member
    I've used TSR ever since I started playing Sims 2 and I'm still using it, never got a single problem with them.
    I'm not fond of the VIP thing, but what can you do about it.
  • Options
    xoJessixoJessi Posts: 1,859 Member
    The True Face of TSR lol. Man those were the shove your face with popcorn days. People were passionate about their cc and even more passionate about the behind the scenes sktechiness errrr dramaz.

Do what you want I guess. *shrugs*
  • Options
    KitOnlyHumanKitOnlyHuman Posts: 2,586 Member
    Personally I tried uploading my mods to it and it was such a painful experience that I'm just not bothering. Their upload tool and the site need some major work.
    This is exactly how I feel. I didn't mesh well with the upload tool and the severe limitations of images were difficult for me to manage with my preview thumbnails I've used in other sites.

As for their downloads, I've never gotten a virus from them. That being said, I'm sure someone could upload a virus without it being fully checked just like with any site. Just have a current anti-virus software and you should be fine.

I am not one for encouraging monetary gain when the content isn't yours in the first place, but I understand why they have the VIP status. In the end, personally, my money donated would go to the cc creator that I supported instead of an overall site.

Nothing really bad to say about it otherwise. I've heard things, but since I haven't experienced issues myself, I'm pretty okay with TSR.
  • Options
    AloeVistaAloeVista Posts: 326 Member
    As a two-time subscriber to TSR I can honestly tell you that in the past two years I've downloaded from them I've had no issues whatsoever, and that includes performance issues with my machine regarding viruses and whatnot since I have gotten none of that from the site as well. I've never been on the uploading side since all I do is download from them so I cannot speak for that half however downloading has always been smooth.
    The VIP thing is kind of ridiculous but I figured if I have plenty of money to spare on a one time subscription then why not. There is no arguing that there are a lot of talented creators on there too. So I wouldn't be wary or anything.
    rvbRMVD.jpg
  • Options
    Sue_D_NimSue_D_Nim Posts: 2,553 Member
    All I know is that McAfee gives me a warning that I must override if I want to go to MTS, but it's fine with TSR.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited October 2014
    The thing is to never ever ever ever :) click on any ads. So recently someone clicked on an ad at MtS and claimed unfortunately it had a virus. All cc sites have ads so they all in my book have the same potential issue which again is easily avoidable that is to never ever ever click on an ad.

As for TSR I've been using them since sims 2 and plan to continue to use them, I trust the modding community in general and sure on occasion there's a glitch, but I have hardware that can handle high poly objects, I can troubleshoot. And more things have happened in my game by game bugs then CC glitches

• Options
    SigmundSigmund Posts: 25 Member
    The virus problem TSR had was in their ads, not in their downloads. I personally have gotten into the habit of using AdBlock at almost all websites I visit, including TSR. I've never had a problem getting a virus from an ad, either from TSR or another website.

There were also some problems with some people who chose to purchase a TSR subscription, though this was several years ago. Some personal info was shared, including credit card numbers, of subscribers TSR suspected were sharing paid content. I've not heard of anybody experiencing a problem like this since TSR has gone free.

I have personally experienced problems with merging some of the furniture I downloaded from TSR, though. S4PE doesn't seem to want to merge it. I'm guessing TSR creators must use a program to create the meshes that S4PE doesn't like. Other than that, I'm not aware of any problems with TSR or their content.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I've used TSR for several years without a problem. In fact the only game breaking CC I ever had came from the TS3 exchange.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    jeepjeepcatjeepjeepcat Posts: 2,302 Member
    I've used TSR before and had no problems, I always run my anti virus over anything I download anyway (TSR or not), the problems reported (if not politics) were most likely ads, I always run an adblocker and no script because its the way I've been taught (hubby would go nuts if I didn't anyway).
  • Options
    auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    To me it comes down to which sites I choose to support with my internet traffic, which from, what I understand their ad revenue is based on. I'm sure you can google TSR to find out why they have a less than pristine reputation in the Sims community.
  • Options
    harryjames009harryjames009 Posts: 84 Member
    They have a really bad history. It seems now they're working to repair that for whatever reason. It's up to the downloader to trust or not.

Must be a secret history, I have never had a problem and downloaded hundreds of mods for sims 3 and 4.
  • Options
    _orangemittens__orangemittens_ Posts: 512 Member
    @harryjames009, read the post directly above yours. Like auntielynds said, I'm pretty sure you can google this. It's no secret.
  • Options
    There is not a single site that hasn't at one time or another had a rotten apple.
  • Options
    Sami-KattSami-Katt Posts: 629 Member
    The only problem I have with TSR and I am rather sure it isn't even the sites fault lol is I can not upload my sims after I use all the pretties they have on my sim :blush: I have heard that some people have hidden a "bug" in a doll and in a countertop. That is all I have heard of over the life of TSR.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    The doll problem was an accident. Some toolmakers including myself were consulted over that by TSR *and the creator of the affected content* to try and find out how it had happened. The reason some things were "hitching a ride" in downloads actually turned out to be something that was corrected by EA in their next patch. However, it was too late to get the stowaway content back from people who had already downloaded and shared.

It should be noted that the content in question was a mere nuisance as it gave people a piece of content they had not chosen to have, and caused no harm to anyone's game.
  • Options
    Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    > @IngeJones said:
    > The doll problem was an accident. Some toolmakers including myself were consulted over that by TSR *and the creator of the affected content* to try and find out how it had happened. The reason some things were "hitching a ride" in downloads actually turned out to be something that was corrected by EA in their next patch. However, it was too late to get the stowaway content back from people who had already downloaded and shared.
    >
    > It should be noted that the content in question was a mere nuisance as it gave people a piece of content they had not chosen to have, and caused no harm to anyone's game.

That was also the issue/patch that caused the Launcher to start refusing custom scripts, wasn't it? I never understood why people claimed that TSR's content was virus-laden if the Launcher would immediately reject any foreign code? :|
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070