Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

DDS DST1/DST5 compression. What?

DzugaruDzugaru Posts: 3 New Member
edited March 5 in Nominated Threads
Rolled a quick *.package unpacker and first thing I found - I can't read any .dds. Cause they're packed with DST1/DST5 compression. Never heard of it and can't google it.

P.S. Well, it's worse, than I thought. Same goes for DXT5RLE2/DXT5RLE compression, but in this case there are little info on it.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    MyreMylarMyreMylar Posts: 80 Member
    edited September 2014
    This guy made a RLE decompressor for Civ V textures. I couldn't get it to work on sims stuff but it might be of use.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/archive/index.php/t-389316.html
  • Options
    SimKureeSimKuree Posts: 39 Member
    Hi, you can use my s4pi library. It can read DST1/5 and as well as RLE2 textures. I'm working on RLES so hopefully we can edit the specular soon. In addition, the latest build of S4PE has built-in preview for all these decoded resources, and with the help of helpers that ship with, you can export/import them as normal DDS.

PS: RLE is just a generic name for a compression algorithm. I don't think Civ V uses the exactly same algorithm to compress textures, though I haven't looked at it yet.
    You can find my S4PE here.
  • Options
    > @SimKuree said:
    > Hi, you can use my s4pi library. It can read DST1/5 and as well as RLE2 textures. I'm working on RLES so hopefully we can edit the specular soon.

Many thanks, I'll look into it.
  • Options
    @SimKuree
    Works perfectly, but you commented out

public class DSTResourceHandler : AResourceHandler

for some reason, had to uncomment this to finally take a look on ClientDeltaBuilt7.package textures.
  • Options
    SimKureeSimKuree Posts: 39 Member
    edited September 2014
    This is not a common resource wrapper. For preview you don't need that I think and for export/import you can use the helper that ships with.
    You can find my S4PE here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top