Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The maids are terrible in Sims 4 – Does anyone else agree?

I’m sorry but I have to get this off my chest. What is up with the MAIDS in this game? In Sims 1,2,3 they were all sexy and fun. They did their job with a smile. They were a fun addition to the game. They were actually very useful.

In Sims 4 all the maids I’ve had thus far have been completely frumpy and miserable. They either stomp into work angrily or stand in the corner to sulk. One maid just stood there with her lip quivering. She would pick up the toy helicopter to put it back on the shelf, then place it down again, cry softly and then look out the window. She literally spent 5 Sim hours doing this. Are they underpaid? Overworked? Do they have a dramatic back story that we need to uncover through a therapy session in order to get them to actually work? I tried tipping my maid $100 dollars a DAY. She would smile when I gave her the check but then resume her melancholy state shortly after. That’s when she actually decides to show up, which is every OTHER day.

I realize I sound like a cruel slave driver or something, but is it so much to ask for my maid to work the hours that she is paid to work? I can barely afford the one I have, but I may have to fire her if she doesn’t shape up.

Also, what does your maid look like? So far I've had the same woman for all of my families. She is middle aged woman that looks to be possibly from the Caribbean with a buzz cut wearing a frock.
tumblr_mackehc6CQ1qgi6ty.gif

Comments

• Options
    HattyLouHattyLou Posts: 430 Member
    Haha oh I agree with this post so much!! I've only had one maid but she scarred me so much that I gave my next Sim the 'neat' trait just so she can clean the house and not need a maid.

My maid was old, fat, miserable and really mean looking! Surprised she didn't kill my Sims whilst they slept...
  • Options
    claritysfclaritysf Posts: 384 Member
    HattyLou wrote: »
    Haha oh I agree with this post so much!! I've only had one maid but she scarred me so much that I gave my next Sim the 'neat' trait just so she can clean the house and not need a maid.

My maid was old, fat, miserable and really mean looking! Surprised she didn't kill my Sims whilst they slept...

LOL!! That's how I felt too! One of my maids threw a glass of juice in my sims face. This was completely unprovoked. She was just angry at the world. I fired her immediately. I hired a new one but it was the same woman... She was now depressed. She just stood in the corner crying.

I think I'm going to try your "neat" trait technique so I can go without the maid entirely. ;)

• Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    I must have had a different game. Maids in Sims3 never really did anything much like they do now ... except charge money at the end of the day.

I have had male maids, female maids ... all different types.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    [Runs off to hire a maid.]
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    EsotericRogueEsotericRogue Posts: 153 Member
    Mine just waltzed over to the computer and played video games for three hours. There was work to be done.
    tumblr_m63nqrB4u71qbkq4po1_r1_250.gif

Streaming at http://www.hitbox.tv/eRogue (Twitch sucks now.)
  • Options
    claritysf wrote: »
    HattyLou wrote: »

LOL!! That's how I felt too! One of my maids threw a glass of juice in my sims face. This was completely unprovoked. She was just angry at the world. I fired her immediately. I hired a new one but it was the same woman... She was now depressed. She just stood in the corner crying.

I think I'm going to try your "neat" trait technique so I can go without the maid entirely. ;)

Your maid sounds like a handful!! Neat trait is quite handy, when the house is messy you just click on them and the interaction 'cleaning frenzy' comes up and off they go, they actually enjoy cleaning as well so their fun goes up! No orange juices in the face or crazy crying old women in the corner :).
  • Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    I realize I sound like a cruel slave driver or something, ...
    Actually I don't think anyone will disagree with you.

QA and betatesters simply didn't check maids at all, that's it.
    We can only hope glitches with maids will be fixed in a patch and "enhanced" AI can always be made via mods.

• Options
    derflocderfloc Posts: 66 Member
    One of my sims got the neat trait too, now she's constantly in a bad mood because of dirty surroundings, yet the last thing on her mind is doing any cleaning work all by herself.

All my maid ever does is: picking her nose, staring at my fabulous unicorn toy, picking it up, staring at it while she's holding it, putting it back exactly where she took it from, then stare some more and continue picking her nose, rinse and repeat.
  • Options
    AstasiaAstasia Posts: 238 Member
    Maids have always been useless IME in Sims 2 and Sims 3, and Sims 4 is no different. They have never done what you want them to do because they are always anchored to the terrible AI and are given far too much free will to do other tasks. I don't even think EA tries with them, they just claim the fact that they don't always do what you want is a feature and you should keep an eye on them.

I hired a single one time maid after a party with half eaten dishes all over the lot because I really didn't want to direct one of my non-neat sims to pick up every single one, or do it myself. She was actually somewhat attractive and went straight to work, but all she did was pick up half the empty dishes and put them in a big pile on the kitchen table, then she gave up and left charging me $107.
  • Options
    asiamomma82asiamomma82 Posts: 390 Member
    Maybe it's not a glitch & this is part of the "weirder" stories theme they were going for..I mean come on some of these stories are funny lol
  • Options
    munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    edited September 2014
    The maids are really recreations of EA employees and how they actually behave at work.
  • Options
    derfloc wrote: »

All my maid ever does is: picking her nose, staring at my fabulous unicorn toy, picking it up, staring at it while she's holding it, putting it back exactly where she took it from, then stare some more and continue picking her nose, rinse and repeat.

LOL! I want a fabulous unicorn toy!

• Options
    Astasia wrote: »
    Maids have always been useless IME in Sims 2 and Sims 3, and Sims 4 is no different. They have never done what you want them to do because they are always anchored to the terrible AI and are given far too much free will to do other tasks. I don't even think EA tries with them, they just claim the fact that they don't always do what you want is a feature and you should keep an eye on them.

I hired a single one time maid after a party with half eaten dishes all over the lot because I really didn't want to direct one of my non-neat sims to pick up every single one, or do it myself. She was actually somewhat attractive and went straight to work, but all she did was pick up half the empty dishes and put them in a big pile on the kitchen table, then she gave up and left charging me $107.

Yep that sounds about right.

I agree that the maids have all had their moments in the previous Sims games. I've had useless Maids before, but never THIS bad. I'll post a picture of my specific maid when I have access to my home pc again. I'm curious to see if anyone else has her in their household and having similiar problems.

• Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    My maid is very timid and only comes when I travel to town. I've never seen her but i get charged for her service.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    edited September 2014
    derfloc wrote: »

LOL! I want a fabulous unicorn toy!

You you're that lazy maid in my game!!! :p
  • Options
    LOL!! :D
  • Options
    Dragon123561Dragon123561 Posts: 2,262 Member
    edited September 2014
    I have a problem with the maid showing up period, so this would be better than what I have, even though I may have to put the maid in it's place lol.
    OTBANNERhol_zpslahzogjc.png

• Options
    PandererPanderer Posts: 247 Member
    Maybe it's not a glitch & this is part of the "weirder" stories theme they were going for..I mean come on some of these stories are funny lol
    Right? All you guys are doing is making me think of some pretty amazing shenanigans that I can slip into my stories....

qR08FrB.png
  • Options
    jafo88fanjafo88fan Posts: 577 Member
    There are known bugs with the maids that hopefully will fix some of the issues we're having. In 2 I would hire maids and sometimes get ones that would come in and leave the place spotless and others would come in and hang out all day. I didn't really use maids much in 3, but it was pretty much the same. I figured they would have random traits except for certain ones like Kaylynn or whoever in the main towns.
  • Options
    JonalinJonalin Posts: 1,708 Member
    I’m sorry but I have to get this off my chest. What is up with the MAIDS in this game? In Sims 1,2,3 they were all sexy and fun. They did their job with a smile. They were a fun addition to the game. They were actually very useful.

In Sims 4 all the maids I’ve had thus far have been completely frumpy and miserable. They either stomp into work angrily or stand in the corner to sulk. One maid just stood there with her lip quivering. She would pick up the toy helicopter to put it back on the shelf, then place it down again, cry softly and then look out the window. She literally spent 5 Sim hours doing this. Are they underpaid? Overworked? Do they have a dramatic back story that we need to uncover through a therapy session in order to get them to actually work? I tried tipping my maid $100 dollars a DAY. She would smile when I gave her the check but then resume her melancholy state shortly after. That’s when she actually decides to show up, which is every OTHER day.

I realize I sound like a cruel slave driver or something, but is it so much to ask for my maid to work the hours that she is paid to work? I can barely afford the one I have, but I may have to fire her if she doesn’t shape up.

Also, what does your maid look like? So far I've had the same woman for all of my families. She is middle aged woman that looks to be possibly from the Caribbean with a buzz cut wearing a frock.

My current sim is a dude with a "I'm a Bob Marley" fan look lol!
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    I have not used the maid service in Sims 4 as yet. I do know that you had to keep a eye on the maids in Sims 3, sometimes they did nothing and charged anyway. You could click on them and chastise them or fire them.
    I wonder if you can do that in Sims 4. Anyone that has used the maid can you fire them or any other action with them concerning their cleaning.
  • Options
    Jonalin wrote: »

LOL! "I'm a Bob Marley" Fan look!! B)
    I haven't had a male maid yet in Sims 4! I wouldn't mind having your maid instead of my current one.

• Options
    Evalen wrote: »
    I have not used the maid service in Sims 4 as yet. I do know that you had to keep a eye on the maids in Sims 3, sometimes they did nothing and charged anyway. You could click on them and chastise them or fire them.
    I wonder if you can do that in Sims 4. Anyone that has used the maid can you fire them or any other action with them concerning their cleaning.

I used to get so annoyed when a bad TS3 maid would help herself to tasty treats from the fridge!

I haven't actually tried to fire a maid, I moved the family and the maid service didn't continue, would be interesting to know!
  • Options
    Evalen wrote: »

Yes, you can fire and dismiss a maid. You can also tip them. You also have the option of hanging out with them.

I thought spending some quality time with my maid would help motivate her and improve her mood. It just made her more lazy. Now she thinks she can help herself to the contents of my fridge and hang out on the sofa watching the cooking channel. (sigh)
  • Options
    JonalinJonalin Posts: 1,708 Member
    Jonalin wrote: »

LOL! "I'm a Bob Marley" Fan look!! B)
    I haven't had a male maid yet in Sims 4! I wouldn't mind having your maid instead of my current one.

My sim got a little "too friendly" with his first maid and knocked her up lol! After she gave birth, I moved her into a neighboring house. The next day, the male maid showed up lol!