Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Safe-guarding my Store Purchases

When the TS2 store closed down, I wasn't concerned as I copied the file as was suggested. However, when I loaded TS2 onto a new computer I received a message that I did not have access to the content. So...

To protect my store purchases, I copied the files onto a RHD and tested the copy on a different computer that also had the TS3 loaded in. I am getting the same messages. I cannot upload those purchases on the other computer. Please share what, exactly, must be done to be able to use this data after the store closes.

Comments

• Options
    crzy_gal_101crzy_gal_101 Posts: 1,856 Member
    edited September 2014
    -
    Post edited by crzy_gal_101 on
    Official Katy Perry Sim: http://goo.gl/Vxo3Be
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    What do you mean about uploading them?

I put my store content into my Sims3 \ Downloafs folder and they all installed without a problem.

I've been using that new computer exclusively for a couple of months now and my store content is all there.
  • Options
    Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Well, my store purchase are on my game system and they work fine. What I was testing is to see if moving the files to a new computer without re-downloading them would work or if I would lose my purchased content if the store is closed. I have three computers, so I installed the games on a different one and moved the files, but the store purchases would not show in the game. When I clicked on one of the files to see if they needed to be uploaded to the game, it said I did not have access to the items. It looks like if the store closes and I upgrade my system, I will lose my store purchases as had happened when the store for TS2 closed. I was hoping that I was doing something wrong and it will transfer if I purchase a new computer.
  • Options
    I don't exactly know what you did.

I put my store files into my Downloads folder and installed them through the launcher.

Do you need to be logged into Origin to play the game? If so maybe you need to do that.
  • Options
    no, I do not need to be logged into Origin...all CD games. Not sure what I did wrong. Perhaps I should remove the files and copy it again. Perhaps I missed something important. All I did was copy the download folder, where the purchases are located from my gaming computer to a removable hard drive. Then, I copied them into the download folder on the other computer that I was using for testing. When I started the game, the store items were not available for use. I quit the game and went to the fold and double clicked to get them uploaded to the game, but it's telling me that I cannot do this because I do not have the required files.

I will try again. If it still doesn't work, then maybe EA Help can explain it to me. Thank you for responding :)
  • Options
    Did you put the downloads folder inside the downloads folder? You should just put the store files into the downloads folder.

I've never tried installing by double clicking so it is possible some information needed to make that work is missing from the computer.
  • Options
    sirguylittlesirguylittle Posts: 776 Member
    @Shadoza2, when you installed TS3 on the new computer, did you patch the game up to date? Maybe that is what is stopping you installing the content from the Downloads folder?

If you need to patch the game, it is best to get the manual update from here:
    Official EA Download Link for The Sims 3 *Cumulative* Manual Update
  • Options
    @Sirguylittle---I did run the patches and updates. I did not run the updates from the store as they would not be available if the store was closed. I do hope that is not what is missing. Rather, perhaps I should find where those updates are stored and make certain they are secured as well. Thanks for the idea. :)
  • Options
    You'll find the store patches here:

\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\ContentPatch
  • Options
    Thank you
  • Options
    Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited September 2014
    The store pack files need to be installed from the launcher. Anything in the download folder in the game that is not installed needs to be installed by the launcher. These are store package files. This is different from the zip package files from the exchange which can be installed just by clicking on them. Certain Store package files are linked to other package files and that is why you need the launcher to install them.

Edit: I wouldn't worry about the sims 3 store closing anytime soon as TS4 needs more content and the store isn't even open yet. I like TS4, but it needs more content to make it go I can only play it for 20 minutes at a time which is great for me for school work.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • Options
    I know I should not worry about it, but, as I said at the OP, I lost my Sim 2 store items because the procedure that was provided failed. Don't want that to happen again.
  • Options
    simplyzoesimplyzoe Posts: 428 Member
    I hope EA does address this issue before it becomes needed. A lot of people have put a lot of money into the Sims 3 Store items , so I thank you for asking this question, it has been on my mind also.