Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

folders in mod folder?

hey everyone!

So, I was just looking into my mods folder and I am already over 100 items :o (don't judge! :P) anyways, in the sims 3, we were able to use folders to organize our mods. Can we do that in sims 4 or will that corrupt the game in any way?

Comments

• Options
    Madiza86Madiza86 Posts: 158 Member
    I organize my mods in folders within the mods folder and that works fine.
  • Options
    cheerlover2012stcheerlover2012st Posts: 166 Member
    awesome :D thank you for getting back to me so fast. i will move my mods into folders then
  • Options
    simfeetundersimfeetunder Posts: 2,260 Member
    You just need to update the rescource file (can open it with notepad) so instead of saying:
    Priority 500
    PackedFile *.package
    PackedFile *\*.package

It says:
    Priority 500
    PackedFile *.package
    PackedFile *\*.package
    PackedFile *\*\*.package
    PackedFile Packages/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*/*/*.package

That allows subfolders too, Like it you have one for hairs you can do subfolders for Male, Female, Children (or whatever)
    HSon1Mq.png
  • Options
    Madiza86Madiza86 Posts: 158 Member
    edited September 2014
    I've not touched my resource file and it works for me, I currently have 3 folders in my mods folder.
    Just checked to see what my file say;
    "Priority 500
    PackedFile *.package
    PackedFile *\*.package"

ETA: Misread that post. Though its only necessary to add that bit, if one wants a extra tier of folders within the folders within mods folder.
  • Options
    HenekHenek Posts: 36 Member
    You just need to update the rescource file (can open it with notepad) so instead of saying:
    Priority 500
    PackedFile *.package
    PackedFile *\*.package

It says:
    Priority 500
    PackedFile *.package
    PackedFile *\*.package
    PackedFile *\*\*.package
    PackedFile Packages/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*/*/*.package

That allows subfolders too, Like it you have one for hairs you can do subfolders for Male, Female, Children (or whatever)
    Here you actually have made a mistake, this allows folder depth down to three folders except if you place them in "Mods/Packages" then there are more. My suggested Resource.cfg would look like this:
    Priority 500
    PackedFile *.package
    PackedFile *\*.package
    PackedFile *\*\*.package
    PackedFile *\*\*\*.package
    PackedFile *\*\*\*\*.package
    PackedFile *\*\*\*\*\*.package

That would allow five levels of folders in the mods folder and should be more then enough to satisfy anyone.
  • Options
    simfeetundersimfeetunder Posts: 2,260 Member
    Henek wrote: »
    Here you actually have made a mistake, this allows folder depth down to three folders except if you place them in "Mods/Packages" then there are more. My suggested Resource.cfg would look like this:
    Priority 500
    PackedFile *.package
    PackedFile *\*.package
    PackedFile *\*\*.package
    PackedFile *\*\*\*.package
    PackedFile *\*\*\*\*.package
    PackedFile *\*\*\*\*\*.package

That would allow five levels of folders in the mods folder and should be more then enough to satisfy anyone.

Oops! Well, I've updated my resource file with your suggestion and updated it in my dropbox in case I need to link anyone to it (not everyone likes editing stuff like this)
    Thanks Henek, shame I can't remember where I was told to make mine the way I had it.
    HSon1Mq.png
  • Options
    HenekHenek Posts: 36 Member
    My guess is that it is based on Sims 3, there we had the Packages subfolder. You can also notice this as your file uses "/" instead of "\", though that doesn't make a difference.
  • Options
    cheerlover2012stcheerlover2012st Posts: 166 Member
    thank you everyone for the help. i do love to organize by type then by creator. i tried doing that last nite and it didn't work but now i see i can organize like that and be fine. I edited my resource file and now i just have to move them back into their proper folders. :)