Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Offline Play A Huge Performance Improvement

Er OK so maybe I'm a little behind with the times but my offline play has completely removed any crashing/hanging issues I had with TS4 - its improved so much its genuinely scary!

I have no idea why this is as we have a great internet connection - could it be something Origin side? I have no idea if it has improved loading times as I don't leave the house unless I absolutely have to - due to loading screens (they don't take an overly long time really but I find them immersion breaking and annoying).

So it sounds ridiculous but anyone having issues the way I was should try it if they haven't already :)

Comments

• Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    EA's servers less lots to be desired, I cut off ties to online long ago. Saw it was the same as being connected to their servers for Sims 3, that is why I hardly ever did a simport. Terrible, terrible, terrible. Oh, I have a great internet connection, so I don't think that is the issue, it's on EA/Origin or whoever runs the servers side.
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    AstasiaAstasia Posts: 238 Member
    There is no "online play." Being connected or not isn't going to have any performance effect, you just lose access to the gallery and whatever pointless social media integration the game has. If the servers are laggy, which they certainly are, it just makes loading the gallery stuff really slow, which it was when I last checked.
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    I didn't mean online game play, I mean being connected to the gallery and whatever else while playing the game. The lag and pauses from the servers are too annoying for me.
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    mrswoo5mrswoo5 Posts: 2,143 Member
    blewis823 wrote: »
    I didn't mean online game play, I mean being connected to the gallery and whatever else while playing the game. The lag and pauses from the servers are too annoying for me.

I have noticed this too the slight pauses and lag so also play offline now.

• Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    > @Astasia said:
    > There is no "online play." Being connected or not isn't going to have any performance effect, you just lose access to the gallery and whatever pointless social media integration the game has. If the servers are laggy, which they certainly are, it just makes loading the gallery stuff really slow, which it was when I last checked.

Actually, there is a widely reported issue with microfreezing that is being caused by the gallery connection (possibly to do with all the annoying notifications you get, possibly not). Anyway, going offline solves the issue.
  • Options
    julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,175 Member
    i have only played twice whilst being connected to the internet and both times my game constantly crashed . i was lucky if i got ten minutes play each time . Now I play while my computer is disconnected and can play easily for hours without crashing . Coincidence ? I dont think so.
  • Options
    Irish_Chick81Irish_Chick81 Posts: 301 Member
    mrswoo5 wrote: »
    blewis823 wrote: »

I have noticed this too the slight pauses and lag so also play offline now.

I thought it was just me!! It was doing those micro freezes constantly!

Thanks for the input guys I thought I was going mad (well madder) for a while there!

Am so glad to see those little lags are gone and the difference in game play is pretty big - gonna play offline in future definitely - glad it helped you guys too :)
  • Options
    VirtualPets65VirtualPets65 Posts: 133 Member
    I really haven't experienced any bad issues since I started playing in Offline Mode.
  • Options
    Smidgieroo3Smidgieroo3 Posts: 457 Member
    I came to the same conclusion. I make Origin go offline before I start the game each time. The game is so smooth this way. When I was leaving it connected I got the micro freezes every few seconds. I miss using the gallery in game but I don't miss the notifications at all. When I want to look for something in the gallery I just open up the game online and do everything I want in the gallery and then go offline again.
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    I start online, look in the gallery and see whats new, then go offline to play the game...I got tired of the lagging and freezing while online

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    Playing without the online features, with Origin offline, and the Internet completely off has made my game play better, I mean I wasn't experiencing that many problems but the improvement is there anyways.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    mulboromulboro Posts: 2,012 Member
    Knowing how bloated and resource hogging Origin is, it wouldn't surprise me if the gallery is the same way. I'm going to try playing offline and see how much it improves for me
    What'd you just say??
    8d7.gif
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    mulboro wrote: »
    Knowing how bloated and resource hogging Origin is, it wouldn't surprise me if the gallery is the same way. I'm going to try playing offline and see how much it improves for me

oh Mulboro, you are going to love it...no lags, no sags, no stalls at all :)

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    PuffyPuffy Posts: 393 Member
    Thanks so much ! This is great thread. How to turn off origin acc, whenever I start my laptop the origin pump up in first. I thought that was I must and don't know how to turn off.
  • Options
    Zolt65 wrote: »
    mulboro wrote: »

oh Mulboro, you are going to love it...no lags, no sags, no stalls at all :)

Thus. I had no idea how different it was! My game was constantly lagging and now it doesnt lol - thank goodness they didnt make this an online MMO!
  • Options
    Puffy wrote: »
    Thanks so much ! This is great thread. How to turn off origin acc, whenever I start my laptop the origin pump up in first. I thought that was I must and don't know how to turn off.

Puffy just log into the game - to go game options - other - and click the offline/online button :)
  • Options
    InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    This is why no one should be forced to start up the game via origin...its a bloated HOG.
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • Options
    AlnairanAlnairan Posts: 2,424 Member
    Going to the game's properties and turning Origin off for it does wonders, too.
    6724061.png
    Origin ID: Gabby-Abeille
  • Options
    MariskaAmyMariskaAmy Posts: 901 Member
    While I completely hate the fact that I've been forced to infect my computer with Origin to play the sims 4..
    I've not had any freezes/lags while playing online, theres no difference between online and offline for me, and I've sunk a good amount of hours into my simmies so far.. I dont tend to use the gallery though (apart from looking at houses on start-up), nor do I follow a lot of people so I dont get notifications. Maybe its something purely to do with the notifications or something?
  • Options
    MariskaAmy wrote: »
    While I completely hate the fact that I've been forced to infect my computer with Origin to play the sims 4..
    I've not had any freezes/lags while playing online, theres no difference between online and offline for me, and I've sunk a good amount of hours into my simmies so far.. I dont tend to use the gallery though (apart from looking at houses on start-up), nor do I follow a lot of people so I dont get notifications. Maybe its something purely to do with the notifications or something?

No I don't think so - Ive had notifications off when im online and I mean gameplay in general - not when accessing the gallery.

Perhaps its becuase im from Europe?

IDK I'm just happy that Offline improves the performance so much more. :)
  • Options
    angie0o0angie0o0 Posts: 103 Member
    Er OK so maybe I'm a little behind with the times but my offline play has completely removed any crashing/hanging issues I had with TS4 - its improved so much its genuinely scary!

I have no idea why this is as we have a great internet connection - could it be something Origin side? I have no idea if it has improved loading times as I don't leave the house unless I absolutely have to - due to loading screens (they don't take an overly long time really but I find them immersion breaking and annoying).

So it sounds ridiculous but anyone having issues the way I was should try it if they haven't already :)

It's the same way with Sims 3, in my experience. Not ridiculous at all.

• Options
    LokiSimsiesLokiSimsies Posts: 1,912 Member
    In Sims 3, I had nonstop issues with Origin causing game crashes. I'm so used to playing offline in Origin that I transfered that over into playing Sims 4. I did leave myself logged in once and the constant stuttering of the game while the gallery updated was annoying. So, back to not only keeping Origin offline but also unchecking the box in the in-game options that lets it be online.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,551 Member
    Is there no way at all to bypass Origin?

I play from the exe file but it still loads Origin up and requires my password before I can play.
  • Options
    AstasiaAstasia Posts: 238 Member
    > @So_Money said:
    > Actually, there is a widely reported issue with microfreezing that is being caused by the gallery connection (possibly to do with all the annoying notifications you get, possibly not). Anyway, going offline solves the issue.

I have no idea what you mean. I don't get any notifications related to the gallery that I'm aware of. I've looked at it a couple times, but I haven't downloaded anything from it. I get zero "lag" or "micro freezes."
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,629 Member
    Is there no way at all to bypass Origin?

I play from the exe file but it still loads Origin up and requires my password before I can play.

No, you can't bypass Origin. I load Origin *first*, take it offline, and then play Sims 4 from Origin.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.