Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Merrigan Legacy (aka The Geek Shall Inherit)

Hiya folks. Though I've done Legacy Challenges before, I've never completed them (distraction, HD crashes, all sorts of fun) and I've never blogged about them. This time, I'm doing the latter and aiming to do the former. Maybe a (small) audience will keep me going!

My family is the Merrigans and my third generation are kids right now. You can read about them at http://merriganlegacy.tumblr.com. My rules are matriarchy, strict traditional, and exemplar for the Geek trait (hence the name).

(And I've just learned about the TAB thing for better camera for picture taking, so hopefully I'll get some great pics soon!)
The Geek Shall Inherit: The Merrigan Family Legacy Challenge -- Visit us on Tumblr.
Origin ID: Tairgire

Comments

• Options
    FloorRaisinFloorRaisin Posts: 1,340 Member
    This is a cute fam, I like it. :)

Also really dig your house! Makes me want to explode mine and start over, lol.
    The Wolff Legacy - whattheplum.wordpress.com - Latest update: Forward, Fast
  • Options
    RoaneRoane Posts: 204 Member
    So I need to post a proper update to the blog but I only do that weekdays (because I'm too busy playing weekends). But I had to scream about this somewhere. My first fourth generation babies were just born. TWINS! (And I worry it might have been triplets but that filled up my house.)
    The Geek Shall Inherit: The Merrigan Family Legacy Challenge -- Visit us on Tumblr.
  • Options
    capturedmusecapturedmuse Posts: 300 Member
    congrats on the girl!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I have to say that managing eight Sims is CRAZY TIME! Wow.

Anyway, new post today:
    Aspirations are Tough
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Another new post -- the third gen kids dip their toes into the dating pool. Someone dives in.

Dating Plums (Unless Your Name is Cian)

Edited to add: I find the change of that word (which starts with s and is something a vacuum does) to "plum" quite entertaining, and have decided to actually change the title of the entry to match.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    That (censorship of mild words) keeps happening to me too. It comes out so much more saucy than the original! ;D
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds it super-challenging to achieve aspirations during normal lifespan! Also glad I'm not the only one whose Sims are romantically challenged! Really fun chapter, Roane!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    New post. The craziness begins. I have no clue how people manage eight Sim households. I find myself trying to do everything and therefore failing to do anything. I got to a place in my last play session where everyone had some motive or other (sometimes two) in the red and I'm not even sure how that happened. I managed to clean it up, but wow! I think to do best, I have to pick like two of my Sims to really pay attention to and others just sort of poke at now and again, but it's very hard to do that.

Anyway, link to new post is here:

Double Your Crazy aka Full House
  • Options
    New post: Restoration

The family finally saves enough money to rebuild (though not redecorate) the ancestral family home.
  • Options
    So after all that work to rebuild the house, I think I have to totally change the style. Why do I do this to myself?
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    I like the house! It's so.... ancestral!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    It is! And I really like it sometimes. But I ended up with a Georgian period palace, and I decided I want more of a Georgian/Regency period country house sort of look. I'll probably make a copy before changing it.
  • Options
    RoseAzulRoseAzul Posts: 497 Member
    Awesome Legacy! I just got caught up with it, lol you're doing great! I'll be following this one :D
    Shhh!

• Options
    New post today: Twins to Teens

The fourth generation kids are growing up too fast, and I remodeled the house, as threatened.
  • Options
    Grimmy stops by for a visit, and other assorted distractions: A Reprieve and a Romance
  • Options
    So, I'm thinking of changing my succession law mid-stream. Some posts from other folks combined with my own daydreaming while stuck at work have made me reconsider the matriarchy thing. Or any first-born related sort of thing (excepting as a tie breaker). I went back and looked through, and it wouldn't make any difference in who did inherit so far. Every generation, I've had only one (but no less than one) eligible heir who was a geek.

What I'm thinking about doing is:
    - Switching from Matriarchy to Equality. I've had a couple of awesome sons that I would like to inherit. They've turned out not to be the best of the generation (not geeks), but if they had been, they wouldn't have been eligible before.
    - After the Exemplar: Geek part, adding some other secondary tie-breaker qualities for if there is no geek or are multiple geeks. I'm not sure what yet, but they'd all be geek-like things, like Video Game skill. (If anyone has suggestions about what else would fit, I'd love to hear it.)

I think changing the pool in this way will make things more interesting. As it is, I tend not to spend too much time on obvious spares (like boys if there's already a girl) because why bother if they're just going to move out anyway? But with this change, I couldn't be sure who was the best fit until all the potential heirs were at least adults, and it could potentially go on for longer in the case of ties.
  • Options
    I say go for it & think of it as a "changing with the times" thing. :) (Having said that, wouldn't that be a fun way to do a legacy sometime? Start with a very strict/traditional succession and evolve toward more open/egalitarian system? *notes to self for later*)

• Options
    New post today: Four Birthdays and a Proposal (Am I intentionally likening a proposal to a funeral by wording the title like that? I'm not telling.)
  • Options
    SALTPASTILLENSALTPASTILLEN Posts: 2,639 Member
    I think changing your mind is a great way to roll ;)
    d3z9696camt4x0dfg.jpg
  • Options
    New post: Pajamas -- a death, a wedding, a dinner party, an almost-fire, a new baby, and way too many pajamas.