Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Make your game load like it did on day 1 by clearing your cache files

EasyToReadEasyToRead Posts: 7,813 Member
While you are playing the game and you experienced lag, crashing, or increased loading, maybe this should help alleviate it. This is useful especially to those that use custom content and mods.

The files can be found in your user files in Documents\Electronic Art\The Sims 4

The following files are most probably cache files that can be deleted safely and that will help with troubleshooting.
  1. localthumbcache.package
  2. cache folder–> *.cache (all files ending in .cache) Do not delete the FileCache files!
  3. cachestr folder –> All content can be deleted

http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/delete-cache-files/
hEFcp6z.gif
Post edited by EasyToRead on

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Thank you!
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    Thank you!
    No problem! I wasn't even considering bumping this but then I saw @Noah_Redden asking for help so why not.
    hEFcp6z.gif
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    edited September 2014
    pguida wrote: »
    Did you really copycat an earlier thread word by word?

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/783607/is-there-any-cache-file-to-delete#latest

for some odd reason, the thread in this one was deleted...not sure why

deleted: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/784747/make-your-game-load-like-it-did-on-day-1#latest

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Zolt65 wrote: »
    pguida wrote: »
    Did you really copycat an earlier thread word by word?

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/783607/is-there-any-cache-file-to-delete#latest

for some odd reason, the thread in this one was deleted...not sure why

deleted: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/784747/make-your-game-load-like-it-did-on-day-1#latest
    Too much flaming and drama. You know why.... Enough of the irrelevant posts.
    Edit: I want to add that the only thing copied word for word is the title and even then I altered it to make it more clear.
    Post edited by EasyToRead on
    hEFcp6z.gif
  • Options
    tomchan0tomchan0 Posts: 952 Member
    nualla8673 wrote: »
    Your big, purple, twirling "NO" is giving me a bad feeling about doing this.

says the one with a reaper as their profile pic....lol

@easytoread thanks
  • Options
    LovetoSimLovetoSim Posts: 70 Member
    Thank you, I was just going to make a post about my game crashing. 3 times yesterday and 2twice today... I'm going to go do this now! :)
  • Options
    tomchan0tomchan0 Posts: 952 Member
    Boys...enough already.
    To your rooms the both of you.
  • Options
    Eef97Eef97 Posts: 325 Member
    Thanks OP for the post I didn't know which cache files to delete.
  • Options
    Noah_ReddenNoah_Redden Posts: 311 Member
    edited September 2014
    Thank youuuu! <3
  • Options
    blam987blam987 Posts: 462 Member
    YESSSSSS FINALLYYYY!! I been trying to figure out since week 1 lol Thanks!
    oa8abb.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I can't seem the find the electronic arts folder.. When i enter documents there are only 3 folders of random stuff.

I'm running this on windows 8.1.

Edit: Nevermind i found it :) Thanks again! MUAH<3
    Post edited by Noah_Redden on
  • Options
    So I deleted those cache... and usually when I delete the localthumbcache my families end up disappearing as if they've never existed but when you hover over the house it says that it's still playable but when you click play it zooms in on the house and freezes... the game erased some of my families from my game after deleting that cache... anyone else having this problem?
    oa8abb.gif
  • Options
    blam987 wrote: »
    So I deleted those cache... and usually when I delete the localthumbcache my families end up disappearing as if they've never existed but when you hover over the house it says that it's still playable but when you click play it zooms in on the house and freezes... the game erased some of my families from my game after deleting that cache... anyone else having this problem?

Deleting the cache files did nothing for me unfortunately.. My game just crashed again.
  • Options
    nualla8673nualla8673 Posts: 397 Member
    I deleted both the cache file and the folder, did not loose any families, but I wasn't having any crash issues, just a bit of lag here and there.
    You can find my Sims 4 creations by searching my Origin ID nualla_6109.
  • Options
    Irish_Chick81Irish_Chick81 Posts: 301 Member
    EasyToRead wrote: »
    While you are playing the game and you experienced lag, slow gameplay, crashing, or the increased loading, maybe this should help alleviate it.

The files can be found in your user files in Documents\Electronic Art\The Sims 4

The following files are most probably cache files that can be deleted safely and that will help with troubleshooting.
    2. cache folder–> *.cache (all files ending in cache)

Ignore the troll @pguida.

Hi

I am giving this a go - although when I went into these files I wasn't too impressed as there wasn't a lot there so I don't see that it could make a big difference - but here we go hopefully it will help :)
  • Options
    Kamb64Kamb64 Posts: 2,546 Member
    Thanks for the info, Easy. Will try it later when I get back on my computer.
  • Options
    From only that one file, this issue occurred?! Are you sure it was from just one file deleted? That really shouldn't have happen..... :cold_sweat:

Deleting the cache files did nothing for me unfortunately.. My game just crashed again.
    The other thread you said not to buy another computer. It might be your computer but no one will know unless you post your specs...
    hEFcp6z.gif
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited September 2014

Did you exit the game completely before deleting the cache? It's the first anyone's reported that deleting that file causes any problems. It should only cause your game to need to regenerate thumbnail images.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options

Did you exit the game completely before deleting the cache? It's the first anyone's reported that deleting that file causes any problems. It should only cause your game to need to regenerate thumbnail images.

Yes :/ EVERYTIME i delete that cache my some of my families end up missing for some reason i have no idea why... i've tested it like 3 times already and it still does it >_< so now my sims brother and his family are gone now.
    oa8abb.gif
  • Options
    From only that one file, this issue occurred?! Are you sure it was from just one file deleted? That really shouldn't have happen..... :cold_sweat:

The other thread you said not to buy another computer. It might be your computer but no one will know unless you post your specs...

Yeah it was that one file idk why it did that..... happens EVERYTIME i do it
    oa8abb.gif
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

How are you saving? Do you use Save As or are you using "Save and Exit"?

It's worth noting too that a *lot* of people are reporting disappearing Sims, and that none of them has mentioned clearing cache at all. It could be a coincidence.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options

How are you saving? Do you use Save As or are you using "Save and Exit"?

It's worth noting too that a *lot* of people are reporting disappearing Sims, and that none of them has mentioned clearing cache at all. It could be a coincidence.

Could be... and i'm saving as
    oa8abb.gif
  • Options
    CrowRidgeStudioCrowRidgeStudio Posts: 233 Member
    edited September 2014
    While you are playing the game and you experienced lag, crashing, or increased loading, maybe this should help alleviate it. This is useful especially to those that use custom content and mods.

2. cache folder–> *.cache (all files ending in .cache) Do not delete the FileCache.cfg file!

I read about this in another post here also, and I'm confused. I don't have a FileCache.cfg file in my cache folder. I do have a FileCache.ini though...is that the same as the .cfg file, and if so, why don't they just call it .cfg instead of .ini? Can anyone clear up my confusion? lol