Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The phone/skill opportunity bug

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    My son got me ITF for Christmas. I haven't installed it yet. I've already been getting phone calls like the ones in the video, but I didn't realize they were supposed to be opportunity phone calls. My sims still get plenty of opportunities of all kinds. One or more of the links I followed from the thread said the bug came with UL. Does it get worse with ITF?

@IreneSwift I've noticed it since I've gotten University Life but didn't know about the problem. Currently in 1.63-1.69, Opportunities will work properly for non-ITF games (i.e., if your latest Sims 3 game is Movie Stuff or earlier) but I only tested it without University Life. Into the Future will make it worse as most Skill Opportunities will not appear due to a flaw.

The issue is that there are ITF Opportunities with a high chance (about 500) whereas other Opportunities has 5 or 10, in addition, the two Advanced Skill Opportunities have the <TargetWorldRequired>FutureWorld</TargetWorldRequired> tag usually used for World Adventures but doesn't work the same in Oasis Landing. When the game prepares an Opportunity, it checks for the appropriate requirements (such as Skills and Career) and selects the Opportunity based on the chance. Since the ITF Opportunity chances are very high, they're always picked but it also bypasses the aforementioned tag so it'll pick the Advanced Technology skill opportunities. When the phone is answered, it checks the requirements but also checks the tag. Since the Sim is not in Oasis Landing, the game rejects the Opportunity.

That means most of the calls without a dialog in Into the Future are the Advanced Skill Opportunities that game is trying to prepare. However, some Skill Opportunities will still appear but not as much. There is a mod that fixes it but you have to enable mods of TS3 as well as needing an account for Mod The Sims.

For University Life (without Into the Future), It makes me wonder if the rejected Opportunities in UL have a <TargetWorldRequired> tag or something. I don't know if the mod fixes the UL issue as well.

I have a Compiled list of bugs showing all TS3 bugs.

Have you tried adding the rabbit holes (to the non Oasis landing world) the sim needs to go to to do the opportunity. Such as the observatory or bot arena etc?
  • Options
    Addicted2JazziAddicted2Jazzi Posts: 11 New Member
    I hope this thread isn't too old. But I am having this issue currently when my sim rejects opportunity calls. It's only one of my sims in the household. His wife gets calls all the time. Her calls are opportunity calls but only for celebrity. The only calls Henrie receives are calls for dates. Every other call (which are probably opportunity) he angrily rejects like it was a telemarketer or something.

I do not have ITF installed so I am not sure what's wrong. This is the very first occurrence and I haven't had problems with anything else before. I was trying to complete the Monster Maker LTW which, of course, relies on an opportunity call. I notice I hadn't gotten the call in several sim days after mastering the inventing skill. So I install the NRAAS debug enabler to force an opportunity call but I still wasn't getting a call so I knew something was up.

I found this thread and tried the mod because they offered a version for games without ITF. So I installed it right away but I'm still not receiving any skill opportunity calls. Can anyone help me, please?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I know I had to use a mod to get that opportunity too. But I think it was because of an issue with my particular game.

I also have installed a mod to cure the problem. I think it was on MTS. I'll see if I can track it down.

I think if you have Master Controller you can actually trigger that opportunity yourself. I know that's what I ended up doing when I had the problem. I think in my case the Sim got the opportunity and I had an Error 12 and she lost it but couldn't get it again.

I just can't remember if I was using Master Controller to trigger it again or if it was another NRAAS mod.

@igazor will know. But I'll try to get back to you with more info later.

EDIT: Here's the link for the mod to fix the no opportunity phone calls at MTS. I think you need to be a member there to have access to their mods etc.

http://modthesims.info/d/560635

• Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    You can force a particular opportunity with NRaas MasterController. I've never done it with DebugEnabler. Most of the time I just use MC since, even with the mod to correct the issue, I never seem to get most skill opportunities.
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    @Addicted2Jazzi I had that issue long before ITF. I'm using that mod now, and my sims get all the opportunities just as they should.
  • Options
    Thank you all for responding so quickly! @Karritz and @TreyNutz, I have MC and tried to use it to force any opportunity but it didn't work, also it didn't show the opportunity I needed. @IreneSwift I just installed that mod, and nothing happened.

What I will do is, try and play another family in that save and another saved game entirely. First without the mod, then with it. I'll have a concrete answer as to if it's just that file or my game.
  • Options
    Okblondee7Okblondee7 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Karritz wrote: »
    I know I had to use a mod to get that opportunity too. But I think it was because of an issue with my particular game.

I also have installed a mod to cure the problem. I think it was on MTS. I'll see if I can track it down.

EDIT: Here's the link for the mod to fix the no opportunity phone calls at MTS. I think you need to be a member there to have access to their mods etc.

http://modthesims.info/d/560635

Thank you for the link @Karritz, appreciate it. :)

Just so folks know, you don't have to be a member there to D/L Mods, you just can't comment on them.

• Options
    Thank you all for responding so quickly! @Karritz and @TreyNutz, I have MC and tried to use it to force any opportunity but it didn't work, also it didn't show the opportunity I needed. @IreneSwift I just installed that mod, and nothing happened.

What I will do is, try and play another family in that save and another saved game entirely. First without the mod, then with it. I'll have a concrete answer as to if it's just that file or my game.

Okay so, turns out my family itself was bugged. I had to delete them, re-add them then re-establish so many relationships. But anyway, he did start receiving opportunity calls, but skills weren't there for either sim. For now, I'll just be forcing them but now they work!
  • Options

Okay so, turns out my family itself was bugged. I had to delete them, re-add them then re-establish so many relationships. But anyway, he did start receiving opportunity calls, but skills weren't there for either sim. For now, I'll just be forcing them but now they work!

Before deleting them, did you try Master Controller | Advanced | ResetSim

That will rebuild your sim from scratch and you end up with a new sim that retains skills and relationships etc.

How did you delete your family? If you clicked on them and chose delete object then you will now have 2 versions of your family in the game. One you can see and one you can't see. Deleting a sim just deletes its body so it becomes invisible but it is still there.
  • Options
    Before deleting them, did you try Master Controller | Advanced | ResetSim

That will rebuild your sim from scratch and you end up with a new sim that retains skills and relationships etc.

No, I did not even think of that, I just figured they were somehow corrupted. I will remember that for the future!
    How did you delete your family? If you clicked on them and chose delete object then you will now have 2 versions of your family in the game. One you can see and one you can't see. Deleting a sim just deletes its body so it becomes invisible but it is still there.

As for deleting them, I was in Edit Town because I was checking to see if it was the lot or the family. I moved the family to a random house in the neighborhood and that's when I knew it was them. Before deleting them I had saved a copy of them and moved that version back to the old house. Then I deleted the original.

Now that I think about it, I have no idea why this worked if it was the same family. Maybe because they're under a new file? I'm not sure.
  • Options
    Oh man, I guess I did the quote thing wrong :|:|