The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Elder-Geek Review

"Instead of improving on the entire formula maxis simply improved on a few core ideas, then demolished the rest."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unD3EnhVMww

Comments

• Options
    munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    Asuka Senpai prepare for the hate :open_mouth:
    ~Official Asuka Senpai FanClub
  • Options
    Asuka7794Asuka7794 Posts: 1,431 Member
    munchie885 wrote: »

tumblr_levdccbejf1qgneofo1_500.gif
  • Options
    Fiever7Fiever7 Posts: 884 Member
    inb4 lambchop picture spam
    IRJsECv.png
  • Options
    Candyr277Candyr277 Posts: 623 Member
    @Fiever7 your siggy is so apropos for this thread.
    "The great will not be constrained by the small." - BioShock

Unknown.jpeg

• Options
    Candyr277 wrote: »
    @Fiever7 your siggy is so apropos for this thread.

More like General Discussion as a whole.
    IRJsECv.png
  • Options
    thesims3andtwothesims3andtwo Posts: 4,643 Member
    IRJsECv.png

Asuka's national banner.

(I hope you don't mind , Fiever7.)
  • Options
    IRJsECv.png

Asuka's national banner.

(I hope you don't mind , Fiever7.)

OOOHHHH I so shoulda named her after Asuka lol
    IRJsECv.png
  • Options
    2i4swz.png

The Sims are discussing you over the dinner table , Asuka.

"You know that pathetic troll with a fetish for Asian ice skaters?"

"What a loser!"

"He really needs a life."
  • Options
    2i4swz.png

"What a loser!"

Fetish? No
    Hots for? Probably
    IRJsECv.png
  • Options
    Naww , I think it's a fetish. He has posters of them everywhere in his apartment , probably.
  • Options
    Naww , I think it's a fetish. He has posters of them everywhere in his apartment , probably.

Still not a fetish, that would be an obsession
    IRJsECv.png
  • Options
    Hmmm. True.

They tell scary stories about Asuka too.

Bw7jwQkIAAA4HAz.jpg:large
  • Options
    Hmmm. True.

They tell scary stories about Asuka too.

Bw7jwQkIAAA4HAz.jpg:large

WOAH 5 kids?! either that's a daycare or that sim is poppin out childdren like a pez dispenser.
    IRJsECv.png
  • Options
    Asuka7794Asuka7794 Posts: 1,431 Member
    2i4swz.png

"What a loser!"

a2.gif

Thank you for letting me feed on you.
    tumblr_n8q43p2GXg1rhd1xfo1_500.gif
  • Options
    Dang... Was hoping we could get through 1 page without a casualty
    IRJsECv.png
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    Well, now having bought the game and played it for myself, I can honestly say I agree with his review. It's got some good points, all right, but it does remind me a lot of the Sims Medieval in that, the only way to really enjoy this game is if you're goal-oriented and want to spend all your time building up skills and completing goals. My style of gameplay is much more casual than that, and I had no problem entertaining my Sim in Sims 2 and Sims 3 with all there was to do, even with just the base game. Both games had that sandbox feel to them in which the possibilities were endless, and there was room for every sort of player.

One of the reasons I liked the Sims 3 so much, besides the open neighborhood is that I was able to play my single Sim and not have to bother about the rest. I didn't like to have to play my Sims in a rotational style because I didn't care about all the families, althugh I did try to do so from time to time. Still, even with such a small sample of families in The Sims 4, the game seems repetitive to me, even more so than either Sims 2 or Sims 3. And I'm speaking of the base game here. With Sims 2, the draw was watching families grow throughout each generation, and exploring the various life stages. With Sims 3, it was that, plus the open neighborhood and driving cars.

With Sims 4, it's all about doing the little achievements, or so it seems like to me, and for the love of me, I can't see how an expansion pack can possibly improve the gameplay, other than adding a few new venues and maybe some new objects and some new interactions. At the core of it, though, it's still going to be the same ole' same ole'. I'm not sorry I bought the game, because so far, it's the only Sims game I've been able to run on my computer, even if it doesn't quite meet the specs. And it's not the graphics, although I'm sure they'll improve when I get a new computer. It's just the fact that this game no longer feels exciting to me. And please don't insult me by suggesting that I'm somehow trying to play the game Sims 3 style, or by suggesting all kinds of things I should be trying, because the bottom line is this: The open ended feel is gone, period end of story. If you're into fulfilling goals and finding collectibles and making friends for your job, good for you. But if you're just into doing your thing and letting your Sim have his way just to see what happens, well...you might just be disappointed.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

PS: And if you're going to call me a hater, please save your breath. I have no respect for your opinion if that's the best you can do.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    th?id=HN.608019287509960090&w=253&h=152&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

th?&id=HN.608032125166160807&w=315&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0
  • Options
    Are you aiming that at me, thesims3andtwo? Because if you are, grow up.
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    Jarsie , that wasn't for you.
  • Options
    colton147colton147 Posts: 9,663 Member
    I love Asuka. <3

He is that one troll that we want to hate, but we have come to love instead. :P

I have a feeling that I am the one who made him the pet troll around the forums... XD
  • Options
    Okay, thanks, because I'm definitely not in the mood for a fight right now.
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    robotpanda34robotpanda34 Posts: 3,387 Member
    Asuka senpai is awesome~
  • Options
    UntrustedlifeUntrustedlife Posts: 555 Member
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    Well, now having bought the game and played it for myself, I can honestly say I agree with his review. It's got some good points, all right, but it does remind me a lot of the Sims Medieval in that, the only way to really enjoy this game is if you're goal-oriented and want to spend all your time building up skills and completing goals. My style of gameplay is much more casual than that, and I had no problem entertaining my Sim in Sims 2 and Sims 3 with all there was to do, even with just the base game. Both games had that sandbox feel to them in which the possibilities were endless, and there was room for every sort of player.

One of the reasons I liked the Sims 3 so much, besides the open neighborhood is that I was able to play my single Sim and not have to bother about the rest. I didn't like to have to play my Sims in a rotational style because I didn't care about all the families, althugh I did try to do so from time to time. Still, even with such a small sample of families in The Sims 4, the game seems repetitive to me, even more so than either Sims 2 or Sims 3. And I'm speaking of the base game here. With Sims 2, the draw was watching families grow throughout each generation, and exploring the various life stages. With Sims 3, it was that, plus the open neighborhood and driving cars.

With Sims 4, it's all about doing the little achievements, or so it seems like to me, and for the love of me, I can't see how an expansion pack can possibly improve the gameplay, other than adding a few new venues and maybe some new objects and some new interactions. At the core of it, though, it's still going to be the same ole' same ole'. I'm not sorry I bought the game, because so far, it's the only Sims game I've been able to run on my computer, even if it doesn't quite meet the specs. And it's not the graphics, although I'm sure they'll improve when I get a new computer. It's just the fact that this game no longer feels exciting to me. And please don't insult me by suggesting that I'm somehow trying to play the game Sims 3 style, or by suggesting all kinds of things I should be trying, because the bottom line is this: The open ended feel is gone, period end of story. If you're into fulfilling goals and finding collectibles and making friends for your job, good for you. But if you're just into doing your thing and letting your Sim have his way just to see what happens, well...you might just be disappointed.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

PS: And if you're going to call me a hater, please save your breath. I have no respect for your opinion if that's the best you can do.

I understand what you are saying, why dont you think this could improve with EPs though?
    im curious.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I think it's because the game feels disconnected to me. It doesn't matter if they added more venues; of course, those would be fun, but with the limited lots in each neighborhood, what you're looking at would be other worlds that would be more like commercial venues with very few homes. Even an apartment building would be problematical, I would think, because...just like the Sims 2...loading screens between apartments. If one were to add a University expansion pack, for example, it would have to be a separate world, and your Sims would probably do just like they did in The Sims 2...go off to class and come back later. And with the limited lots, you'd only have maybe one or two dorms. Thinking back on the Sims 2 and Sims 3 University, the only difference between them and a Sims 4 iteration would be that now young adults could commute from their home and not have to live in a dorm. That might be one improvement, but as I said, the most any expansion pack can hope to add is a few new objects, a few new venues and a few new interactions. And thinking back n the Sims 2 version, even that seemed to be more interconnected. I'm not sure we're going to be able to say the same about The Sims 4 version. I dont' know how else to explain it.

ETA: I just thought of a word: piecemeal. That's what this gameplay makes me feel like; like it's a few individual modules stuck together in a loose fashion.
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    edited September 2014
    Asuka senpai is awesome~

You having simluvers picture in your signatures makes me feel like she died....