Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

FPS issues??

So in the Sims 4, while in build mode and in pause I can have all settings on max and have 60 FPS. However when I go into live mode even with everything on low I rarely have more than 20. Is this a bug or is it due to my graphics? The game is quite playable and I don't mind low graphics, but I wouldn't really mind high ones eitha :P
It's just like boiling a frog! If you try to throw a frog in a warm pot it'll hop right out! But if you put it in mild water and warm it up slowly, the frog won't understand what's happening until it is too late!

Comments

• Options
    PancakeBobPancakeBob Posts: 75 Member
    what are your system specs?
  • Options
    DasakalaDasakala Posts: 126 Member
    edited September 2014
    PancakeBob wrote: »
    what are your system specs?

Just saying I've seen a let's player whose specs outmatch mine by 5 encounter the same issue. That's why I asked in the first place. Oh I forgot to say, the Graphics Chip (Yes it's a laptop) has 1GB VRAM and I can run TS3 on Max graphics. 10378073_1481714835433642_1845069248578862669_n.jpg?oh=555b41e55ecde48bf5a127e4be24e02d&oe=549AC47D
    It's just like boiling a frog! If you try to throw a frog in a warm pot it'll hop right out! But if you put it in mild water and warm it up slowly, the frog won't understand what's happening until it is too late!
  • Options
    well your processor isn't that great and you only have 2 gb of ram, but if you say that people with more powerful computers are facing this issue then i'm not sure. either way it's a strange fps drop. is it temporary or pernament?
    btw what about your graphics card - it's from the 5000 series. but which one? because some are stronger than others.
  • Options
    DatkidDatkid Posts: 430 Member
    @Dasakala AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000 is not the most ideal card for the game. How high are your graphics? I have a AMD Radeon 6870 and even on ultra I have pretty bad FPS so I have to take it down to high.
    Have a look at my gallery yeah? JUMANJIKID
    ap2le.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Datkid wrote: »
    @Dasakala AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000 is not the most ideal card for the game. How high are your graphics? I have a AMD Radeon 6870 and even on ultra I have pretty bad FPS so I have to take it down to high.
    well your processor isn't that great and you only have 2 gb of ram, but if you say that people with more powerful computers are facing this issue then i'm not sure. either way it's a strange fps drop. is it temporary or pernament?
    btw what about your graphics card - it's from the 5000 series. but which one? because some are stronger than others.
    That's the problem, when on live mode I have less than 10 fps, while build mode and cas 60+. And um my laptop's a funny story. I had to use maxdriver to activate the graphics card which was for some reason deactivated. It's a Dell Inspiron 15R(N5010-4599). That's all I know about it sorry. And as for the ram and the processor, I know they effect loading screens but why would they effect graphics?
  • Options
    Dasakala wrote: »
    That's the problem, when on live mode I have less than 10 fps, while build mode and cas 60+. And um my laptop's a funny story. I had to use maxdriver to activate the graphics card which was for some reason deactivated. It's a Dell Inspiron 15R. That's all I know about it sorry. And as for the ram and the processor, I know they effect loading screens but why would they effect graphics?

Well in build mode and CAS the game isn't animating anything. Basically your surroundings are completely still meaning your computer won't be rendering anything, animating sims, trees, lighting, water, anything. Once you go live all these thing have to take place simultaneously which is why you are experiencing that sudden drop. The RAM is not a huge factor but it plays it's part. Since the game requires a minimum of 2gb (which you only have 2) you shouldn't have to worry about that. The processor will have to work harder to play the game in higher quality, and to be frank, yours isn't that good. It would be best to play on laptop mode and graphics on low to see if makes things smoother.
    ap2le.gif
  • Options
    That's the problem, when on live mode I have less than 10 fps, while build mode and cas 60+. And um my laptop's a funny story. I had to use maxdriver to activate the graphics card which was for some reason deactivated. It's a Dell Inspiron 15R. That's all I know about it sorry. And as for the ram and the processor, I know they effect loading screens but why would they effect graphics?

Well in build mode and CAS the game isn't animating anything. Basically your surroundings are completely still meaning your computer won't be rendering anything, animating sims, trees, lighting, water, anything. Once you go live all these thing have to take place simultaneously which is why you are experiencing that sudden drop. The RAM is not a huge factor but it plays it's part. Since the game requires a minimum of 2gb (which you only have 2) you shouldn't have to worry about that. The processor will have to work harder to play the game in higher quality, and to be frank, yours isn't that good. It would be best to play on laptop mode and graphics on low to see if makes things smoother.

That's where I'm playing. I don't mind 20-30 fps nor low graphics, I'd just like to know if there was a way to play on max, because TS3 is more demanding than TS4 in a way anyways, and this guy with a GTX 650 32GB of ram and a 3-4 GHZ processor was encountering the same issue. He even had 2 Graphics card but I don't remember who it is or what his perfected specs are.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    it really depends on what game you are playing. some games are cpu intensive and others are gpu demanding.

fps are generally reliant on the gpu, whereas strategy games like civilization require a lot of cpu power on big maps.

you probably get high fps on build mode because there is less movement or processing there but after you switch to live mode you experience a fps hit because live mode is more intense in terms of resources.

btw there are more variants of dell inspirion 15r if i recall correctly but if i'm completely honest your build leans to the low-end side and will have a hard time once eps start rolling in.
  • Options
    Apparently Max Driver is incorrect, I did a lot of research and the actual GPU my laptop has is "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330"
  • Options

That's where I'm playing. I don't mind 20-30 fps nor low graphics, I'd just like to know if there was a way to play on max, because TS3 is more demanding than TS4 in a way anyways, and this guy with a GTX 650 32GB of ram and a 3-4 GHZ processor was encountering the same issue. He even had 2 Graphics card but I don't remember who it is or what his perfected specs are.

Not with that laptop no. Even if that guy is having problems, your laptop doesn't come close to meeting the recommended requirements for the game. You'll need more ram, a faster processor, and a much better graphics card. TS4 is way more demanding on max settings than TS3 is.
    ap2le.gif
  • Options

Not with that laptop no. Even if that guy is having problems, your laptop doesn't come close to meeting the recommended requirements for the game. You'll need more ram, a faster processor, and a much better graphics card. TS4 is way more demanding on max settings than TS3 is.
    I'm planning on getting 1 extra GB of Ram and a GTX 650 (maybe) for my computer on Novemeber, the laptop is just a shortcut to survival until then. The computer has a 2.8GHZ processor and 2gb of ram 1+ = 3, and Sims 4 is a 32bit based game so more than 4gb would be useless.
  • Options
    more than 4gb of ram would be useless for the sims 4 but you won't be able to run any other backround programs or let's say minimize the game and browse the internet at the same time without freezing.
  • Options
    more than 4gb of ram would be useless for the sims 4 but you won't be able to run any other backround programs or let's say minimize the game and browse the internet at the same time without freezing.

I can already do that ^_^. It's a bit slower than usual but not that much. Beauty of loading screens :D
  • Options
    crayzeehappeecrayzeehappee Posts: 676 Member
    Are you perchance in windowed mode? Because I had the same problem and as soon as I switched from windowed mode to full screen my fps shot up.
    Origin Username: crayzeehappee
    funny-game-glitch-sims-baby-leave.jpg
  • Options
    Are you perchance in windowed mode? Because I had the same problem and as soon as I switched from windowed mode to full screen my fps shot up.

Ummm no :( but that's probably due to your resolution settings, just a guess.
  • Options

Really? I had the opposite effect.
    ap2le.gif
  • Options

Really? I had the opposite effect.

That's weird. Windowed mode basically forces the rest of the computer to jump into the Ram, while fullscreen keeps it out and focuses on the game.
  • Options
    btw would you be able to upgrade your computer? or maybe even buy a new one considering laptops aren't really flexible when it comes to upgrades? what's your budget if i may ask?
  • Options
    btw would you be able to upgrade your computer? or maybe even buy a new one considering laptops aren't really flexible when it comes to upgrades? what's your budget if i may ask?

Hmm I would've upgraded my computer with a R7770 a week ago and a Corsair 400W power supply, but I am just afraid of switching power supplies. My budget will be around 180-230 Euros.
  • Options
    javadjavad Posts: 161 Member
    i'd buy a new power supply and something else (like ram, graphics card, processor). tbh every part of your computer needs an upgrade. for 200 euros i think you can get something good but nothing groundbreaking. ;)