Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help with re-size key.

xHareHarexxHareHarex Posts: 536 Member
You know that re-size key ? I've been trying to use it but can't.
You're supposed to use Shift + ] but it's not working for me and I assume it's because of my keyboard layout.

This is what it looks like.

1280px-KB_Portuguese.svg.png

That is a portuguese keyboard layout.
How do I use it ?
I tried pushing Shift + ALT GR + ] and didn't work.
BvVCNKLIEAEit3I.png
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Hi HareHarex,

I was looking for the same info and came across your post, I searched the internet and found the following info but as yet I have not tried it in my game so I will try it and come back and let you know, then we can try work out what the same key may work on your keyboard :D

Hold down the ‘SHIFT’ key and tap ‘]’ until the object is at the size you want.
  • Options
    Hi HareHarex,

I was looking for the same info and came across your post, I searched the internet and found the following info but as yet I have not tried it in my game so I will try it and come back and let you know, then we can try work out what the same key may work on your keyboard :D

Hold down the ‘SHIFT’ key and tap ‘]’ until the object is at the size you want.

Doesn't work for me. :(
    BvVCNKLIEAEit3I.png
  • Options
    Hallonsaft11Hallonsaft11 Posts: 1,377 Member
    I´ve been wondering about this too. I also have a similar keyboard and haven´t managed to work it out yet.

A good cup of coffee is always best served together with someone you like
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    HareHarex
    I´ve been wondering about this too. I also have a similar keyboard and haven´t managed to work it out yet.

I think then I would ask EA and see if they have any idea then :D
  • Options
    RirikaRirika Posts: 12 New Member
    edited September 2014
    Just tossing a thought here, not claiming this will work by any means,
    I am assuming you use the Portuguese language option on your system by default and have not tried to switch to English or install English on your system since you already have Latin alphabet characters in your language.
    Since most language packs for Windows seem to remap the keyboard (If I remember correctly from installing Spanish on my previous laptop), try to either switch to English before playing the game, or try to download and install the English Language pack for Windows and play the game after having switched the language to English (not the Windows language ofc just the temporary language option for typing).
    Logically Shift + ] should work just fine after that... Logically...

Edit: If anyone does attempt this to cross-check (and I do advise that you already know how to install language packs before poking around on your pc or attempting to download any shady "supposed language pack files" from the internet) keep in mind that since your keyboard will have been remapped after switching language you'll also need to figure out where ] now is, it's very likely it might not be in the same place for both languages.
  • Options
    SimKynaSimKyna Posts: 26 New Member
    edited September 2014
    On my keyboard shift + [ and shift + ] are { and } respectively (it looks like those might ALT GR + 7 and ALT GR + 0 on your keyboard). At a guess, I'd say try using those? Let us know if this works.
  • Options
    keyb0xkeyb0x Posts: 1,641 Member
    I have a UK layout physical keyboard, which is almost the same as American's, but my keyboard language is set to Swedish. Because of that, the location of ] is different for me also, BUT I noticed that for the sims games it doesn't discriminate what the actual button does for me.

So while on the UK layout it says ] and in Swedish it says ••, the actual button does the same thing.

So, try pressing the button where ] would be for English keyboards. It's the one directly next to return and second up from the right shift key.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    it is a little tricky, you must be in build mode and what i do is select/hold the object i want to increase in size, i then while holding the object select shift then + and then [ or ]
  • Options
    Ririka wrote: »
    Just tossing a thought here, not claiming this will work by any means,<br />
    I am assuming you use the Portuguese language option on your system by default and have not tried to switch to English or install English on your system since you already have Latin alphabet characters in your language.<br />
    Since most language packs for Windows seem to remap the keyboard (If I remember correctly from installing Spanish on my previous laptop), try to either switch to English before playing the game, or try to download and install the English Language pack for Windows and play the game after having switched the language to English (not the Windows language ofc just the temporary language option for typing).<br />
    Logically Shift + ] should work just fine after that... Logically...<br />
    <br />
    Edit: If anyone does attempt this to cross-check (and I do advise that you already know how to install language packs before poking around on your pc or attempting to download any shady "supposed language pack files" from the internet) keep in mind that since your keyboard will have been remapped after switching language you'll also need to figure out where ] now is, it's very likely it might not be in the same place for both languages.

Tried before, didn't work.
    BvVCNKLIEAEit3I.png
  • Options
    FatescruelFatescruel Posts: 110 Member
    You need to pickup the object in Build/Buy Mode and then press Shift + ALT GR + ]. After that you can move the object around and see the size change.
    QxkUasu.png
  • Options
    Fatescruel wrote: »
    You need to pickup the object in Build/Buy Mode and then press Shift + ALT GR + ]. After that you can move the object around and see the size change.

Doesn't work.
    BvVCNKLIEAEit3I.png
  • Options
    Ah, I found the key. It's »
    BvVCNKLIEAEit3I.png
  • Options
    Excellent!! For your keyboard layout, I would not have guessed that you need to use the "»" key.

Glad to see that you made it work. :D
    QxkUasu.png
  • Options
    Magical_CharmMagical_Charm Posts: 1 New Member
    edited September 2014
    @xHareHarex
    By the way, what type of keyboard layout is that, laptop/desktop for win/mac?
  • Options
    It might be of some use to know in-case other Sims player run into the same situation. I can bet that someone else will encounter the same problem in the near or distant future.
    QxkUasu.png
  • Options
    @xHareHarex&lt;br />
    By the way, what type of keyboard layout is that, laptop/desktop for win/mac?

Both Laptops and desktops have that layout for windows. I don't know about mac, but it should be the same since it's the traditional portuguese keyboard layout.
    BvVCNKLIEAEit3I.png
  • Options
    Thank you for that info xHareHarex :)
    QxkUasu.png
  • Options
    Carvalho123Carvalho123 Posts: 1 New Member
    > @xHareHarex said:
    > Ah, I found the key. It's »
    OMG! Obrigado, thank you so much :smiley:
  • Options
    enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    The Sims games (since at least 2) tend to mess up your keyboard settings (if they are anything other than North American keyboard layout) after a few hours of gameplay. I notice this happens and suddenly I cannot find my ? or ' (which I tend to need during a chat or writing a description on an upload I want to send to the Gallery) and even after quitting the game, I cannot make it work right. I must reboot my computer to get my keyboard to work as a European keyboard.

Since I have suffered this problem ever since relocating to Europe, and it has persisted over multiple computers and multiple generations of the Sims, I do suspect it has something to do with the way they set up hotkeys.

I'm pretty sure there's no hope in triggering a response with the ALT GR key. Anything that requires that, you can check some of your other keys that you'd least expect and you'll eventually find it, but it wont always be that one because EA isn't very good at thinking about things that effect users.
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • Options
    filipe231291filipe231291 Posts: 17 Member
    edited November 2014
    > @xHareHarex said:
    > Ah, I found the key. It's »
    First of all, thanks! :smiley:
    And second, if you want to decrease the size, it's SHIFT + '
    Or better saying for my fellow Portuguese :3

Increase size: SHIFT + «
    Decrease size: SHIFT + '
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    I use CTRL plus ] to increase the size. I increase the size of the TVs that way. I've never used shift. No wonder it didn't always work for me.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    Skyfri_HimmelSkyfri_Himmel Posts: 846 Member
    edited June 2015
    I have danish keyboard and i just found out that if you hold down shift and then press the button that has these signs on it ^¨~ you will enlarge the object. And to make objects smaller you need to hold down shift and press Å. Apparently that is where [ ] these are on the american keyboard.
    I also somehow lifted up an object one time by pressing 9 but this doesn't work anymore. It happened one single time! darn it. I miss it already :/ It must have been a glitch for a second.

It just changed for some reason. now it is shift and Å for enlarging and shift and `´ for making them smaller. I really dont know why this is changing :/
    Origin ID: Kaffepigen

I've started a picture story on imgur! There is both from sims 3 and sims 4, so a little from both worlds! ^_^
    The Sims 3 picture story: imgur.com/a/5A0Sg

The Sims 4 picture story: imgur.com/a/xyPhW
  • Options
    Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    I don't know whether it holds true for Sims 4, but I do recall in earlier Sims games that one needed to press the left Shift key on the keyboard. It wouldn't work with the one on the right. Give it a try. Wierder stories.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • Options
    Skyfri_HimmelSkyfri_Himmel Posts: 846 Member
    Nik24X7 wrote: »
    I don't know whether it holds true for Sims 4, but I do recall in earlier Sims games that one needed to press the left Shift key on the keyboard. It wouldn't work with the one on the right. Give it a try. Wierder stories.
    I used the right shift key to do it
    Origin ID: Kaffepigen

I've started a picture story on imgur! There is both from sims 3 and sims 4, so a little from both worlds! ^_^
    The Sims 3 picture story: imgur.com/a/5A0Sg

The Sims 4 picture story: imgur.com/a/xyPhW
  • Options
    Clarkie100Clarkie100 Posts: 1,708 Member
    This didn't work for me either, it crashed the game when I tried. :cry:
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top