Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My children can't seem to earn an A

I have them doing extra credit work when it's available and I have them "Study Hard" at school and yet it's still a B...day after day. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Not sure, I'm having the same problem. I'm to the point that as long as they are passing I'm fine right now. I have a teen and 3 children, so its hard to really focus on doing more.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    PattyCoPattyCo Posts: 2,252 Member
    Ug!! I am having this same problem!!!
  • Options
    reni344reni344 Posts: 362 Member
    edited September 2014
    Did you get their skills up? They have to have 4 skills to at least level 4 I believe. To get an A that is what I had to do both my kids both have A's.
  • Options
    Olivesims2Olivesims2 Posts: 362 Member
    Heck my kid is getting C and always comes home unhappy or mad poor thing, about ready to age her up or just keep her home
    I get my games free using this site :) To earn gift cards
    http://www.instagc.com/115196
  • Options
    michellecbus81michellecbus81 Posts: 107 Member
    I really don't appreciate the condescending notes that get from school too telling them to work harder to not be mediocre. They ARE working hard. They go to school energized every single day and they're well rested and well fed!
  • Options
    reni344 wrote: »
    Did you get their skills up? They have to have 4 skills to at least level 4 I believe.

Yep! My oldest is level 10 creativity and my middle child is level 5 mental. Youngest hasn't gone to school yet.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 916 Member
    Are you sending them to school with the Focused emotion?
  • Options
    ts3semlts3seml Posts: 440 Member
    There are things you have to complete like "go to school energized" in order to get the highest grade, I think. You can see the goals in the career tab.
  • Options
    Icarus wrote: »

My middle child has occasionally gone to school with the Focused emotion because he has the Genius trait. None of my other sims have ever had the Focused emotion, even after playing chess all afternoon.
  • Options
    KatnapKatnap Posts: 2,251 Member
    Did you get their skills up? They have to have 4 skills to at least level 4 I believe.

Yep! My oldest is level 10 creativity and my middle child is level 5 mental. Youngest hasn't gone to school yet.

Is each of the kids at least level 4 in two skills? They can be 10 in one skill, but that's not enough. It says level 4 in two skills. This confused me at first, too.

• Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    edited September 2014
    Did you get their skills up? They have to have 4 skills to at least level 4 I believe. To get an A that is what I had to do both my kids both have A's.

Two of the three in my household have done it (one child just aged up into a child, so she's working on it), and they still don't have A's. They have also gone to school energized.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    reni344reni344 Posts: 362 Member
    edited September 2014

I think you have to get 4 skills up to level 4 both my kids are at least level 4 in four skills: social, motor, creativity, and mental.
  • Options
    ts3seml wrote: »
    There are things you have to complete like "go to school energized" in order to get the highest grade, I think. You can see the goals in the career tab.

I've done them. Go to school energized two times, make 4 drawings or be read to for 3 hours. Done it...all of it!
  • Options
    crebo19crebo19 Posts: 286 Member
    You have to complete the school challenges under the work tab. I think to get an A my child Sim had to read 3 books and do extra credit work 3 times or something along those lines.
  • Options

I think you have to get 4 skills up to level 4 both my kids are at least level 4 in four skills: social, motor, creativity, and mental.

Ahh, okay I'll try this. I usually have them pretty focused on maxing out just one skill. I think none of my kids have any motor skill.
  • Options
    keroseneheartkeroseneheart Posts: 9 New Member
    > @michellecbus81 said:
    > Icarus wrote: »
    >
    > Are you sending them to school with the Focused emotion?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > My middle child has occasionally gone to school with the Focused emotion because he has the Genius trait. None of my other sims have ever had the Focused emotion, even after playing chess all afternoon.

OK, I think I got this one. The career tab is misleading. It says you can read or play chess to get a 'focused' mood. I haven't figured out how to get a sim to be in a focused mood reading, not even a logic book. BUT, I did discover this: If you have your sim click on the chessboard and choose option 'contemplate moves', there is a little bubble that pops up and helpfully suggests that this will help you sim's focus. I tried it on my teen sim (who I can NEVER get in 'focused' mood before school), AND IT WORKED!!!

You also have to make sure the sim is not bothered by a dirty house or needs not being fulfilled. The sim has to have all basic needs met and then contemplate move on the chess board. It took me about five hours of playing to figure this out.
  • Options
    RTSRICO992RTSRICO992 Posts: 5 New Member
    I actually like that the children have to work a little harder for the "A". But on the other hand sometimes they need to just be kids!!! They spend so much time earning skill points.
  • Options
    KatnapKatnap Posts: 2,251 Member
    Just make sure you find out what their tasks are and get them done. Some of the skills really don't take that long to level. My teen got his A and I was in a panic when he didn't get his homework finished two days in a row, but his grade still stayed at an A. So once he gets that grade, it seems harder to lose it.
  • Options
    Selena_SouleSelena_Soule Posts: 438 Member
    I hate all the notifications from school every single day... my kids are A students and i keep getting that stupid message "your child is having trouble with the alphabet... they cant seem to get past A! good work!" or something like that.. it said that EVERY day at 3:00.. and it floods my notification box... i have to delete messages like once a sim week cus of all the notifications from school telling me they are A students and to keep up the good work..
  • Options
    WoWLynniaWoWLynnia Posts: 2,715 Member
    edited September 2014

You want them to be focused when they go to school. Easiest way to do this is have them get on the computer, click on Web>Browse Simpedia, just before they go to school. Make sure they're in good moods when they go to school, as well. Daily routine for any of my kids is to wake up between 6:00 and 6:30, use the bathroom, shower, and eat cereal, then they're out the door in awesome moods by 8:15 (helped along by my handiness sim in the family having upgraded the toilet, sink, and shower so that they get positive happy moodlets when they use the object). If they need to bump their grade up, getting up a little earlier to browse simpedia will get them focused before they leave.

There are tasks, as well, beyond just their school performance, such as completing extra credit assignments, that they have to complete before their grade can go up, just as with a job promotion. Also if you mouse over the performance bar under their grade, it will tell you what their daily bonus is to do (ie. Ideal Mood: Focused, Daily Task: Homework [Complete/In Progress/Not Started]). This goes for adult careers, as well. Having your sim in the proper mindset and having completed their daily tasks puts them a lot closer to their promotion with substantially fewer stressed out days. Hope this helps anyone having difficulties with it. :)
  • Options
    blightnteablightntea Posts: 1 New Member
    Same issue then I got energised parent to make their special protien food family size and got my kid to eat it 2 hrs before school
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    WoWLynnia wrote: »

You want them to be focused when they go to school. Easiest way to do this is have them get on the computer, click on Web>Browse Simpedia, just before they go to school. Make sure they're in good moods when they go to school, as well. Daily routine for any of my kids is to wake up between 6:00 and 6:30, use the bathroom, shower, and eat cereal, then they're out the door in awesome moods by 8:15 (helped along by my handiness sim in the family having upgraded the toilet, sink, and shower so that they get positive happy moodlets when they use the object). If they need to bump their grade up, getting up a little earlier to browse simpedia will get them focused before they leave.

There are tasks, as well, beyond just their school performance, such as completing extra credit assignments, that they have to complete before their grade can go up, just as with a job promotion. Also if you mouse over the performance bar under their grade, it will tell you what their daily bonus is to do (ie. Ideal Mood: Focused, Daily Task: Homework [Complete/In Progress/Not Started]). This goes for adult careers, as well. Having your sim in the proper mindset and having completed their daily tasks puts them a lot closer to their promotion with substantially fewer stressed out days. Hope this helps anyone having difficulties with it. :)

Thanks for the tip on the performance bar. I'd never moused over it.
  • Options
    michellehilbrandmichellehilbrand Posts: 2,331 Member
    Can't you put the focus plumbob sculpture on the breakfast table to get them focused?
  • Options
    AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 910 Member
    Can't you put the focus plumbob sculpture on the breakfast table to get them focused?

You do realize that all the 'emotion inducing' plumbob lights/sculptures are reward items for owning TS3 and it's various expansions, yes? Meaning that it's possible not everyone will actually have them all.

Beyond that, while I do actually have them all myself, I've been refraining from using them, as (in my own mind) they are essentially 'cheats.' So far, I'm trying to play without using them, but the temptation sure is growing. IMO, there are just too many requirements and not enough time in a Sim day for school/work progression.
    Pay for product -- not potential!
  • Options
    Heatherawr8Heatherawr8 Posts: 11 New Member
    I got one to get their grades up to B, before they aged up. Careers and school are much more difficult in this game. I like that.