Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Open lofts with adjacent roof problem

tagsimstagsims Posts: 3 New Member
I've been encountering the problem of the roof not accommodating a open loft room + atrium as a dormer. This results in the roof appearing inside the room when fences are drawn to cut away a portion of the floor to make the open loft.

I think it's related to the day one bug fix on fences being not a room which is messing up the roof. As for a workaround, I've resigned to building an enclosed room with indoor windows to mimic the open loft look. I wish I could use fences, but it's not currently happening.

Any other creative building suggestions to work around this problem are welcome. I love building open lofts too much to give them up!

Comments

• Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I had this same problem. Haven't found a solution. Even though there was a patch(?) the fences are still a problem. When I tried to create a fence on the side of a building, the entire lot created a foundation. I had to skip the fence.
  • Options
    ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    I discovered at the Creators Camp from talking to Simguru Houts that the new roofing system works differently and the only way to keep a roofline from clipping into a space is for there to be a room...a connected room near or under the roof.

In other words, in The Sims 3, having a roof on top of another roof would "erase" the one underneath...so if you wanted to keep a roofline from clipping in you had to make sure there was a roof over it right?

Well now, in The Sims 4, you have to have a room under it to keep a roofline from clipping in. That means 3 sided open spaces will have roof clipping. It has to be a closed off "unit" that the game recognizes as a room ( or move-able block) and then it will erase or hide the parts clipping in.

It is a different way of doing things and it will have limitations...but it will also prevent those open roof gaps we often saw with some kinds of construction...it will just be something to get used to using. Hope that helps and it makes sense.
  • Options
    tagsimstagsims Posts: 3 New Member
    > @ruthless_kk said:
    > I discovered at the Creators Camp from talking to Simguru Houts that the new roofing system works differently and the only way to keep a roofline from clipping into a space is for there to be a room...a connected room near or under the roof.
    >
    > In other words, in The Sims 3, having a roof on top of another roof would "erase" the one underneath...so if you wanted to keep a roofline from clipping in you had to make sure there was a roof over it right?
    >
    > Well now, in The Sims 4, you have to have a room under it to keep a roofline from clipping in. That means 3 sided open spaces will have roof clipping. It has to be a closed off "unit" that the game recognizes as a room ( or move-able block) and then it will erase or hide the parts clipping in.
    >
    > It is a different way of doing things and it will have limitations...but it will also prevent those open roof gaps we often saw with some kinds of construction...it will just be something to get used to using. Hope that helps and it makes sense.

Interesting logic. It makes sense for me, thank you!

I agree that it's a different way of doing things and it will take some time for me to get used to. Hopefully the fact that I can adjust and move rooms easily can cover for the frustrations of working out how to build something. :D