Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will I like this game? Should I buy this game?

ShanmarieShanmarie Posts: 1,236 Member
I have read many,many,many negative reviews/thoughts on the game and I myself as an obsessive Sims player (owning almost EVERY Sims game possibly made) was very disappointed when I read the list of ongoing missing objects and interactions that were available from base game in The Sims 3.

HOWEVER, from the start of The Sims I have been 100% obsessed with the franchise,I have played through difficult times of having the worst computer in the world to run TS3 back in 2009 and had to wait around 2 hours just to change the pattern of something and I STILL played it all day,every day. I've played through the glitches,the problems,the updates,EA's continuous issues of an 'unfinished' game,I've installed and re-installed the entire collection about 7 times on 3 different computers and spent over £830 on a new laptop just so I could play it!

Because I am so obsessed with playing this game,I'm actually considering buying TS4 now,it seems that I feel disappointed about it but once I get it installed and start playing it will feel just like the others... I don't know,the only thing shadowing my excitement is that I never had one negative thought or comment about TS3 when I saw the pictures,info etc before it was released.

Comments

• Options
    bump!
  • Options
    joneswkjoneswk Posts: 270 Member
    Buy it through Origin when you've got a day to kill. The Great Game Guarantee gives you 24 hours to try it out and return it if you don't like it.

The game isn't bad, at least that's been my experience. Just remember, it's a very basic game at this point.
  • Options
    natashifiednatashified Posts: 3,314 Member
    Get it! I think you would like it!
  • Options
    keyb0xkeyb0x Posts: 1,641 Member
    A lot of the problems are true, but the positives far out way the cons for me

I've spent the day gardening and discovering a bunch of new ways to multitask. Also finally had my sim get married, which was cool too. Weddings actually have your sims exchange vows now, and they place rings on each other's fingers. She's also pregnant for the first time, which is cool.

I've just been having a great time with the game, pretty much everything has been revamped. It's not to everyone's taste but for the most part I can say that I think it's a great base game. Someone said it was like a base game with late night and I think that's a very accurate description. I wonder if that's why EA's Sims 3 starter pack includes late night, too?

Anyway OP, if you feel like you might like the game at all I think it's worth giving it a go and seeing how you feel about it.
  • Options
    joneswk wrote: »
    Buy it through Origin when you've got a day to kill. The Great Game Guarantee gives you 24 hours to try it out and return it if you don't like it.

The game isn't bad, at least that's been my experience. Just remember, it's a very basic game at this point.

I had no idea you could do that! Thanks :)
  • Options
    keyb0x wrote: »
    A lot of the problems are true, but the positives far out way the cons for me

I've spent the day gardening and discovering a bunch of new ways to multitask. Also finally had my sim get married, which was cool too. Weddings actually have your sims exchange vows now, and they place rings on each other's fingers. She's also pregnant for the first time, which is cool.

I've just been having a great time with the game, pretty much everything has been revamped. It's not to everyone's taste but for the most part I can say that I think it's a great base game. Someone said it was like a base game with late night and I think that's a very accurate description. I wonder if that's why EA's Sims 3 starter pack includes late night, too?

Anyway OP, if you feel like you might like the game at all I think it's worth giving it a go and seeing how you feel about it.

Thanks for your input!
  • Options
    Luturna1313Luturna1313 Posts: 85 Member
    Unless you have a seriously low end system, love being frustrated, love a loading screen for EVERY destination.. even your next door neighbor and think that sims slamming stuff equals improved AI then no.. no I don't think it's worth what they are asking for it.. if it was $40 maybe.. $70-$80 no way in hell.
  • Options
    xtinagaga97xtinagaga97 Posts: 600 Member
    I enjoy it for what it is, do I wish the babies were better and for toddlers to be in the game? Yes, however they'll probably come later, but so far I find it fun, be warned there are quite a few bugs in the game.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    Unless you have a seriously low end system, love being frustrated, love a loading screen for EVERY destination.. even your next door neighbor and think that sims slamming stuff equals improved AI then no.. no I don't think it's worth what they are asking for it.. if it was $40 maybe.. $70-$80 no way in hell.

My system was bought January this year and has high specs so that's not a problem I guess,sorry if that's what you're experiencing though.
  • Options
    Luturna1313Luturna1313 Posts: 85 Member
    It'll take you 24hrs just to figure out the new controls and camera options, LOL
  • Options
    mwdonohuemwdonohue Posts: 3,307 Member
    I recommend you use the great game guarantee if you aren't sure. Sims 4 fit my play style wonderfully. Not sure if it'll be the same for you though.
  • Options
    It'll take you 24hrs just to figure out the new controls and camera options, LOL

Oh no...this already sounds terrible like when they made Sims 2 Life Stories WASD controlled instead of arrow.
  • Options
    vaultboyvaultboy Posts: 166 Member
    If you like new games, then you'll love this game.
    058-Bible-Stories.jpg
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    I have played for 8 hours today, 4 hours at a time, it is very addictive and I can't get enough of it, sims are everywhere, I posted a picture of my baby under New Baby in town. He is so cute, I am doing test on things.
    I must admit the controls are hard only because they are different. things are different, some people thought that you could not eat leftovers, that is because you have to click open, then you see the food you click on the leftover Mac and cheese and it says eat serving.
    The town is beautiful, you do not even realize that some of it is décor, When you see the train go by it looks so neat. Sims are so different with there emotions. I made my sim eat, he kept making a face and I thought the food was bad, but it was not, when he got done he held his stomach and it said he was stuffed, I made him eat when he was already full.
    Oh so much more, but I'll stop, read some of the things on the forum, there are some really good post about how the game was doing with others.
  • Options
    vaultboy wrote: »
    If you like new games, then you'll love this game.

It's not really about 'new' games,it's about the franchise itself.
  • Options
    Evalen wrote: »
    I have played for 8 hours today, 4 hours at a time, it is very addictive and I can't get enough of it, sims are everywhere, I posted a picture of my baby under New Baby in town. He is so cute, I am doing test on things.
    I must admit the controls are hard only because they are different. things are different, some people thought that you could not eat leftovers, that is because you have to click open, then you see the food you click on the leftover Mac and cheese and it says eat serving.
    The town is beautiful, you do not even realize that some of it is décor, When you see the train go by it looks so neat. Sims are so different with there emotions. I made my sim eat, he kept making a face and I thought the food was bad, but it was not, when he got done he held his stomach and it said he was stuffed, I made him eat when he was already full.
    Oh so much more, but I'll stop, read some of the things on the forum, there are some really good post about how the game was doing with others.

The way you put it sounds interesting,however even if I did want the game I have to wait another 2 days unfortunately,I'm from the UK and it comes out on the 5th of September over here,I can't even purchase on Origin.
  • Options
    ladybastillaladybastilla Posts: 172 Member
    My advice would be to go and look up information on anything you're nervous about--controls for example. The interface *is* different. It's much more streamlined and it can take some time to learn how to do certain things. That's par for the course, though: this is a new game, not an expansion. You *will* figure stuff out and once you do it won't be so bad. (Heck, I'm legally blind and I'm doing it. It just takes a little patience.)

Once you have the basics within easy reach, I suggest that you give Origins Great Game Guarantee a go. Download the game and make sure you have a good solid block of time that you can dedicate to putting it through its paces. YOU know how YOU like to play. You know that you want from a Sims game. You know what's gonna make you happy. I've heard only good things about the Guarantee on these forums--EA seems to be taking it pretty seriously, which is good to hear. (No One should be stuck with something that isn't right for them. That's utter crap!)

Sims 4 has had a lot of angry people and happy people long before it launched. There are some who were gonna love it no matter what, and some who are still gonna give it 0 out of 10 for no toddlers, no pools and no CASt. It is what it is.

From what I've played so far, I'm having a good time. But I'm a storyteller and my playstyle is very specific to that, so I can't tell you that you're gonna love it based on my experience.

Are YOU excited about Sims 4? Do YOU want to try it? Listen to your gut. If the stuff you're hearing rubs you the wrong way--and is REAL--pass. But if, despite what people say, you want to try the game for yourself? Go for it. At least that way you'll know.
  • Options
    @ladybastilla I'm usually pretty fast if not immediate at learning controls and how things work so it shouldn't be a problem for me, I love realism in the game and from what I've heard the emotions and multitasking kind of add to that a lot. I have mixed emotions whether I'm excited or not or want to buy it,probably once I get playing it I won't put it down, JUST because it's The Sims my mind kind of obsesses straight away.
  • Options
    Well If you have to wait until Friday that is ok, will give you more time to read some things other have to say. It really is a great game. no lag at all. My sims have painted and sold them and one is writing children books, I have a test sim right now they have a little girl, I have not sent her to school for 2 days, she has been fishing and going to the park, I sent her to the library and they have a table for them that they can paint and make pictures and you can sell them it builds up their skill, Well it was late and she fell asleep in the library, I had to wake her and send her home, her mom and day were asleep, she came in and went right to bed. The funny and cutest thing was the father got out of bed and went to her room and looked at her. It was like he was making sure she was ok, very touching I thought. then he went back to bed. Oh so many things.
    well the test I am doing with her is I want to see what happens if she never goes to school, it is the only way I can find out if the social worker takes her or she get taken out of the game. I am almost sadden by this test and I am getting attached to her. I hope nothing happens to her. You see when I put my generation sims in, they do not work and the kids do not go to school. so I am testing to see what happens. Hope all is well.
  • Options
    @Evalen sounds like you're having a good time to me! Hmm maybe I will try it,but do the children not get into trouble with grades for not attending school?
  • Options
    Shanmarie wrote: »
    @Evalen sounds like you're having a good time to me! Hmm maybe I will try it,but do the children not get into trouble with grades for not attending school?
    That is what I am testing right now. she has not gone for two days. It does say she is late for school and she missed school, I don't know how long to test, but I will keep her out until I find out. I want to see if she gets taken away. hope not. I feel bad testing her as I am getting attached to her. the kids are easy to get attached to. they are very neat and a lot of fun. they have a lot of emotions and active.

• Options
    XOBABEXO3XOBABEXO3 Posts: 350 Member
    I was so unsure at first if I should get it or maybe I should wait to see some review and videos. (I'm glad I didn't wait, so many negative reviews may have scared me from getting it) So far I am in love with this game! My sims gaming session has not lasted this long in years! Some of the details are so amazing! I honestly don't miss anything that they didn't put in the game. I haven't found anything about the game that I don't like.
  • Options
    ts3semlts3seml Posts: 440 Member
    There are pros and cons. As a base game, the worlds feel so much smaller. Fewer places to go. There are tons of things to do. I'm enjoying it. There are things I really don't like such as the loading screens within the locations on a particular lot. To me, that's lazy and they should have figured it out. It makes me feel disconnected from my sim. There is down time while they are at work. I can live with that. I never loved going to work with my sims and half the time I didn't bother. I love the look and feel of the game. I find my sims interesting. I think it has a lot of potential. It was hard getting used to the controls but you can change the controls to match sims 3 which helped me a lot since there was so much to figure out.

I'd say if you love sims and aren't stuck on what's missing, get it. I don't think you will be disappointed. I am missing a lot of things but am willing to give this version a chance. I don't mean that in a bad way if someone isn't. I get it.
  • Options
    Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    There is no way someone can tell you what you should do. All I can say is that I was very nervous buying this game but I just knew I had to try it out for myself to see if I liked it. I have spent 60 bucks in my life doing many things that I did not like. I have some games I have bought that are still sitting on the shelf because I played them for an hour or so and just didn't care for it.

Also, just wanted to mention that I wasn't all that bothered by missing toddlers or pools. I have only played Sims 3 and a little bit of Sims 2 when the UC was given to us for free. But I was still kind worried about this game. I wound up making a pros and cons list for myself. What did I truly care about and what I didn't. That may help you decide. Also, as others have mentioned you could also get it through Origin and use their 24 hour game guarantee. So enough about all that.

Here is what I think of the game so far:

I started out with my one Sim I made to try and get used to the new controls. It was a little bit hard at first but it didn't take me long at all. I hate to say it but they are pretty intuitive especially if you have played Sims games before. You have a choice of camera angles. You can play Sims 2 style camera or you can play Sims 3 style camera. I love that feature.

I played for over 3 hours, no glitches, no bugs, very stable. I was actually shocked and I was online the whole time. I forgot to go off line. I had tons of fun with the multitasking but it is hard to get used to at first. I kept thinking I could only do one thing at a time. Finally, I started to get the hang of it and that made the game so much more fun. I don't know why that wasn't hyped up more in marketing or maybe I missed it. Your Sim can literally do so many things at once. Talk, work out and watch TV all at once. You can queue up many things and I didn't have any of my commands drop. You do have to pay attention to their emotions to some extent but that wasn't near as overwhelming as I thought it would be.

I loved being able to rotationally play some people in the hood. I have never done that before so that is new to me. While my main Sim was at work I decided to go to manage worlds and start playing another family. One of them is expecting a child now which is pretty cool, can't wait to see how he or she turns out.

I had a great time going to the park, there is so much to do there that I had to leave before I could do everything and it is so pretty in Willow Creek. I just love the game. I didn't see any clipping during my game play and my Sim went to many places.

One thing I was really shocked about was that she could walk next door while the neighbors were outside and talk to them. It seems like you can walk around pretty much with no loading screens. But even if you do load they are so fast right now. Less than 10 seconds. I was really worried after reading some of the posts but I love this game. I wish I could play longer.

Also your Sim isn't at work as long. It does seem like your Sims has more of a normal day. Tasks don't take forever to do so you have time to do other things. I had to switch up to Long play because I am loving the game and don't want people to age to fast. I love that I can give my Sim things to do and then go play other households too. I like getting to know the neighbors. There are so many people everywhere you go. It is great. The neighborhood seems so alive and people are constantly walking by the house. Everywhere my Sim goes there seem to be other Sims every where. I was surprised by that too.

I love that you can watch TV, eat and talk to Sims at the same time. Once you get used to the multitasking and start using it more, it is really a fun feature. My Sims in S3 never socialized because they had no time, now I love for my Sim to go out and talk to others because they are so great with the animations. My Sim has planted a garden, raised her cooking skill and learned to fish so far. It was funny some of the things she caught. So, anyway I could go on and on. I am having a great time in the game and I was cautiously excited about the game.

All that being said, I don't think this game is for everyone. I like having tasks to do to build up my skills but some might see that as questing. Like for instance, my Sim wants to be a chef so a couple of things she needs to do to become one is make 5 big grilled cheese meals and 2 excellent meals. She is level 3 as a cook and has made one big meal but no excellent meals. Also, one day she went to work in a bad mood and didn't get paid LOL. Not sure what went on there. So, for those still on the fence, I hope this little review helps. I am not saying to buy the game or not buy the game, just giving you my honest review and how I view the game. Oh one more thing: Relationships are more difficult. You can't meet someone and get married in one Sim day. You have to build a relationship with them which is something I really like doing. So again, it is just a matter of personal taste.

At the end of the day, it is just a game though and you have to decide if you want to try it or not. Up to you. I hope whatever you do you are happy with your decision. That is the main thing. Have fun doing whatever you choose. :D