Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 and Switchable Graphics: How To (Nvidia & AMD)

Comments

• Options
    imey82imey82 Posts: 70 Member
    It would be interesting to know if its related to outdated drivers for the Intel cards too.

@Simgurumeatball I updated my drivers and re ran the game (I have an intel intergrated card) and it actually made it worse. before the crib had a solid texture (with one crack on the top) and now its full of holes and cracks and you can see the demon baby sitting under it on the floor.
  • Options
    NimbleNimble Posts: 33 Member
    edited September 2014
    I hope this works.
    Nvidia
    2lbdwk8.png

Settings
    103x7it.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I played with the settings and still no change.
    I do hope you know that I love the game and this little glitch is not stopping me from enjoying it, I just want to help in anyway I can :)
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    hqsoares2 wrote: »
    It would be interesting to know if its related to outdated drivers for the Intel cards too.

:( I have the same problem with babies.
    My video card is a AMD Radeon 8730M, all drivers are updated as well as the game. Furthermore my notebook is not using the integrated graphics on-board because I configured for high performance and I'm playing on High graphics settings without any problem or FPS drop.

Have you played around with in game and card settings? I'm not at a computer so I can post more info later but here is the game default settings

card 0x6600 "AMD Radeon HD 8600/8700M" $cardLevelMedium $resolutionMedium
  • Options
    hqsoares2hqsoares2 Posts: 19 Member
    edited September 2014
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    Have you played around with in game and card settings? I'm not at a computer so I can post more info later but here is the game default settings
    card 0x6600 "AMD Radeon HD 8600/8700M" $cardLevelMedium $resolutionMedium

Yes, with the onboard card does not work even on minimum settings, but with the AMD card I tested the options to get a good setup and only the lighting and anti-aliasing settings were on medium. In relation to the babies I tested reducing all settings to low but nothing has changed
  • Options
    ewilson1114ewilson1114 Posts: 2,513 Member
    Nimble wrote: »
    I played with the settings and still no change.
    I do hope you know that I love the game and this little glitch is not stopping me from enjoying it, I just want to help in anyway I can :)

I really appreciate all your help, hopefully with more info we can figure out what is going on.

For starters, can you go to the Sims 4 folder in the Electronic Arts Folder in My Documents and open the file Config.log? It should open in Notepad. Then scroll to the Graphics Card Info section and copy the following information into a post (here is mine as an example):

=== Graphics device info ===
    Number: 0
    Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M
    Name (database): GeForce GT 525M [Found: 1, Supported: 1]
    Vendor: NVIDIA
    Chipset: Vendor: 10de, Device: 0df5, Board: 04461028, Chipset: 00a1
    Driver: nvumdshim.dll, Version: 9.18.13.4052, GUID: D7B78E66-4266-11CF-4C7C-4B24B4C2C435
  • Options
    SimsweetieSimsweetie Posts: 562 Member
    edited September 2014
    Nah @ceejay402 , drivers are the first thing I checked. They get updated automatically and I double checked just to be sure. I did post in that thread already. Thanks.

@lucyvp86 Intel is listed in dxdiag, which is why I went and manually made sure that it was using my geforce.

@ewilson1114 I have NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M running on driver 340.52
  • Options
    Simsweetie wrote: »
    Nah @ceejay402 , drivers are the first thing I checked. They get updated automatically and I double checked just to be sure. I did post in that thread already. Thanks.

@lucyvp86 Intel is listed in dxdiag, which is why I went and manually made sure that it was using my geforce.

@ewilson1114 I have NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M running on driver 340.52

@simsweetie can you post your graphics card info from the Config.log file like I asked Nimble to do?

• Options
    SimsweetieSimsweetie Posts: 562 Member
    Sure.

=== Application info ===
    Name: Sims4
    Version:
    Build: Release
    === Rating info ===
    GPU: 3 GPU Memory: 4 CPU: 3 RAM: 4 CPU Speed: 2394 Threading: 3
    Adjusted CPU: 3391 RAM: 8104 Adjusted RAM: 7592 Cores: 4
    === Machine info ===
    OS version: Windows 8.1 6.3.9600
    OS prod type:
    OS major ver: 6
    OS minor ver: 3
    OS SP major ver:
    OS SP minor ver:
    OS is 64Bit: 1
    CPU: GenuineIntel
    Brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz
    Family: 6
    Model: 12
    Cores: 4
    HT: 1
    x64: 1
    Memory: 8104MB
    Free memory: 5224MB
    VA space: 4095MB
    User: Angel
    Computer: RAVEN
    Name (driver): Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
    Name (database): 4th Gen Intel(R) Core processor graphics - Mobile Haswell GT2 [Found: 1, Supported: 1]
    Vendor: Intel
    Chipset: Vendor: 8086, Device: 0416, Board: 380117aa, Chipset: 0006
    Driver: nvumdshim.dll, Version: 9.18.13.4052, GUID: D7B78E66-4756-11CF-CE7B-0C18BBC2C435
    Driver version: 4052
    Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
    Texture memory: 1988MB
    Vertex program: 3.0
    Pixel program: 3.0
    Hardware TnL: 1
    Opt. features: +sab +a8l8 +rgba16f +r32f +bc4 +bc5 -rawz +intz
  • Options
    Here it is, I have no clue what any of this means, lol.

Name (driver): Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
    Name (database): Mobile IvyBridge GT2 [Found: 1, Supported: 1]
    Vendor: Intel
    Chipset: Vendor: 8086, Device: 0166, Board: 102d1043, Chipset: 0009
    Driver: nvumdshim.dll, Version: 9.18.13.4052, GUID: D7B78E66-4226-11CF-277C-2030B4C2C435
    Driver version: 4052
    Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
    Texture memory: 1985MB
    Vertex program: 3.0
    Pixel program: 3.0
    Hardware TnL: 1
    Opt. features: +sab +a8l8 +rgba16f +r32f +bc4 +bc5 -rawz +intz
  • Options
    @simsweetie @Nimble thanks for posting. For both of you, the Config.log is showing just the Intel card. I have another user in another thread with the same issue and their config.log shows the same. I'm sorry that I don't have a fix right now but it is good to confirm that whatever it is still seems to be connected to the Intel HD graphics. Hopefully we can get it sorted out soon!
  • Options
    Thanks :) So is the game running off the Intel or Nvidia graphics card? Or is just confused?
  • Options
    Nimble wrote: »
    Thanks :) So is the game running off the Intel or Nvidia graphics card? Or is just confused?

I'm not sure! I did think of another thing to try. In the Nvidia Control Panel under the Global Settings tab, you could try setting that to be the Nvidia card. Then restart the computer, launch the game, check for the baby problem, check the config.log again. I have no idea if this will work but it is worth trying!

• Options
    Will do.
  • Options
    @nimble and @simsweetie, another user seems to have fixed this issue by checking "laptop mode" in the game settings. @Nimble, I see you have this already checked. Maybe try unchecking it and see if it works?
  • Options
    campandhike4lifecampandhike4life Posts: 6 New Member
    Hi,
    I have a new laptop (within the last week) and am having the deformed baby issue. I've tried to follow the steps above but do not have either a Nvidia or an AMD option when I right click on my desktop. Is there another way to access these options?
  • Options
    Hi,<br />
    I have a new laptop (within the last week) and am having the deformed baby issue. I've tried to follow the steps above but do not have either a Nvidia or an AMD option when I right click on my desktop. Is there another way to access these options?

This suggests that you do not have a secondary card and only have the integrated Intel chip.
  • Options
    lucyvp86 wrote: »
    @nimble and @simsweetie, another user seems to have fixed this issue by checking "laptop mode" in the game settings. @Nimble, I see you have this already checked. Maybe try unchecking it and see if it works?

I think they need to have all the variables in place that I have in order for this to work. I was having an issue with the game refusing to use my Nvidia card and it kept attempting to use my Intel card. I posted in the other thread that I had removed all reference to the Intel card from my .sgr files. It didn't work. I did not change those files when I went and checked the laptop mode.

Is it the combination of all those things that fixed it for me?

I wouldn't suggest others do that, not now that there may be a fix in the works.

I've tried both the global graphics card change and turned off "laptop mode" in the settings and nothing. I'm a bit nervous about removing anything from my files, but if the worst case scenario is that I just have to reinstall, then I don't mind.
  • Options
    @Nimble, sorry that didn't work, but the good news is that @SimGuruHydra says the tech team have identified the cause of the issue and are working on a fix. So hopefully that will be out soon.
  • Options
    Yay!
    While my kids find the "Demon Baby" hilarious, I'm looking forward to a fix.
  • Options
    AzzenomAzzenom Posts: 8 New Member
    Didn't really work for me. Keeps saying "Can't run the Sims 4 with the video card in this system" even though I've done everything that has to be done... :(
  • Options
    @azzenom, can you post a dxdiag (instructions here: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/HOW-TO-DxDiag-for-Sims-3-PC-Only/td-p/1049584) please? You may need to split it into a couple of posts. The sections we need are the System Information, Display Devices, and System Devices.
  • Options
    wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    Thanks for the fix guys! Bump!
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • Options
    MissaMullinsMissaMullins Posts: 17 Member
    Stupid AMD app, can't add TS4 manually, but can switch it on and off manually. App says I am missing a file to add manually (new grid type style), reinstalled and still says it. Will go to AMD later and bug them about it. When I changed Hard Drives last summer Dell driver disks installed the drivers but it didn't install the controller properly, took me along time to figure it out cause I forgot it wasn't asking to add the games automatically. I swear, had more problems with this AMD program now then when it was factory. Guess I will have to fix this later going to work for a few hours to help out, then to doctor then maybe I can get it figured out....
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    Stupid AMD app, can't add TS4 manually, but can switch it on and off manually. App says I am missing a file to add manually (new grid type style), reinstalled and still says it. Will go to AMD later and bug them about it. When I changed Hard Drives last summer Dell driver disks installed the drivers but it didn't install the controller properly, took me along time to figure it out cause I forgot it wasn't asking to add the games automatically. I swear, had more problems with this AMD program now then when it was factory. Guess I will have to fix this later going to work for a few hours to help out, then to doctor then maybe I can get it figured out....

are you referring to the third party app by raptr that came bundled with driver update 14.40. i myself uninstalled this driver for my PC and have not added the update to my laptop

i did check the supported list and sims 4 is not there
    http://raptr.com/amd/games

this could explain why it cant maintain your settings.