Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My Promised Review

As I promised, I have written up, what I feel is a fair, honest, and accurate review of The Sims 4. I chose to focus on what "is" there rather than what is "not" there. You can't rate content that doesn't exist and still consider the review to be fair. Some of the stuff I personally wish were there (like Story Progression), I wouldn't be able to accurately rate anyway. It will take a few generations before the actual impact of it would be felt in any meaningful way.

I had intended to post a version of the review here on the forums, but it ended up being nearly 3,000 words, which is a little longer than I had expected. I will therefore summarize just a few points here and provide a link for those that want more details as to why I am saying this....
  • Pop-Ups are Excessive
  • The Library and Some Gallery Items Did NOT Transfer from The Demo
  • Load Screens are Short (even without a SSD)
  • Lag is Low
  • Routing is still an issue
  • Doesn't really feel like a sequel
  • Final rating..... 7/10

If you want more details, the full review is published here
"UR" is NOT a word, it's the sound stupid people make when they try to spell "You are".

Comments

• Options
    whitknight26whitknight26 Posts: 106 Member
    Thanks for the review - Under the your mileage may very portion - I start off much the same. So, going forward with that - how do you think the game will play out when you want to move individuals around etc? Put the old folks in a home/the YA's - how do you think the lack of the previous story progression will limit this aspect?
  • Options
    VampirspiegeleiVampirspiegelei Posts: 704 Member
    [*] Load Screens are Short (even without a SSD)

Great!
    That was actually one of my worries that all EA PCs had the game running on SSDs and you'd need one to get those short loading screens.

... jinkies oO
  • Options
    Kamb64Kamb64 Posts: 2,546 Member
    Very informative review thanks!
  • Options
    keyb0xkeyb0x Posts: 1,641 Member
    You're right, it doesn't really feel like a sequel, but it still manages to feel like the sims to me. It's very odd, but I do like it.
  • Options
    JoyceM8JoyceM8 Posts: 75 Member
    Thanks for the review. :)

Do I understand you correctly that there is no way to transfer your Sims created in CAS to your actual game? :disappointed:
    [ Origin: JoyceM8 ]
  • Options
    mwdonohuemwdonohue Posts: 3,307 Member
    Thankfully, there is a way to turn off the popups... If anything, that is the thing that bothers me the most.
  • Options
    quosqua39quosqua39 Posts: 33 Member
    Ya, my biggest thing is loading the game, man it took ages before. Here in The Sims 4 your in the game really quick. The only thing i'm worried about is how fast progression is. It seems maybe you progress through stuff (careers, skills, etc ) too fast.
  • Options
    gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    JoyceM8 wrote: »

Do I understand you correctly that there is no way to transfer your Sims created in CAS to your actual game? :disappointed:

I think I read somewhere that if you copy your "Tray" folder into the Game/Bin or something (I'm not sure of the destination as I don't have the game yet), all of your created Sims and your library will be transported there. Can someone confirm this?
  • Options

You have to do it yourself, either by removing your sims from the gallery and reuploading them (both whilst inside the CAS demo) or by going into your My Documents folder and finding your Sims 4 CAS demo folder, then copying the contents from the Tray folder into the Tray folder for the full game.

It should've been an automatic transfer, but at least you can use them. :p
  • Options
    zeppelin123zeppelin123 Posts: 864 Member
    After playing around with TS4 for a few hours, I would say 9/10 with my only frustrations being:
    -can't take infants to community lots or call a babysitter
    -would like to eventually see toddlers
    -experienced 1 bug with a fork stuck to a kid where I had to reload

My favorite thing I think about TS4 is how open ended it is for gameplay such as where I was able to set up a camping spot families could use without the kids being auto called home at midnight. My attempts at local vacations in TS3 were always a little frustrating.
  • Options
    JoyceM8JoyceM8 Posts: 75 Member
    keyb0x wrote: »

You have to do it yourself, either by removing your sims from the gallery and reuploading them (both whilst inside the CAS demo) or by going into your My Documents folder and finding your Sims 4 CAS demo folder, then copying the contents from the Tray folder into the Tray folder for the full game.

Thanks much! Luckily, I only created one family in my CAS: me and my boyfriend. :p So it can't be hard to find the right files. I didn't put this family into the gallery btw, they are only in my private library. :)
    [ Origin: JoyceM8 ]
  • Options
    AlexTBAlexTB Posts: 30 New Member
    Thanks for the review. Very informative.
  • Options
    UtaDagdaUtaDagda Posts: 1,556 Member
    Haven't had one single route issue in my entire play time ((In fact they did some things better such as go a round Sims in their projected path and I was able to get multiple Sims through the door at the same time with out a hang up and then going all different directions. Sims all so followed little paths I create and stuff with out any issue.)). No bugs or glitches or lag either. No crashes.
    Love The Sims? SIMMERSE YOURSELF. Join our community.
    I gave up singing. Sorry.
    Here have my luchADORE to cheer you up.
    luchad.pngluucha.gif
  • Options
    keyb0x wrote: »

Thanks much! Luckily, I only created one family in my CAS: me and my boyfriend. :p So it can't be hard to find the right files. I didn't put this family into the gallery btw, they are only in my private library. :)

Yeah, I didn't want to upload all of my sims to the gallery either. Glad you could just do the transfer locally. :D
  • Options
    NevillsNevills Posts: 505 Member
    Thanks for the review!
    I'm a WoW playing, Doctor Who watching, Harry Potter reading, fan fiction writing simmer who is without a doubt a geek (and sometimes a super hero).

My wishlist
  • Options
    netguystevenetguysteve Posts: 470 Member
    Thanks for the review - Under the your mileage may very portion - I start off much the same. So, going forward with that - how do you think the game will play out when you want to move individuals around etc? Put the old folks in a home/the YA's - how do you think the lack of the previous story progression will limit this aspect?

It really depends. I don't see an issue with difficulty of actually moving them out. Once they are moved out, assuming you haven't set your aging options to perform otherwise, they will age up normally. However, if you like to look in your relatives and see how they're doing, congratulate them on their new child birth, job, etc... well.. yeah... that stuff isn't gonna happen without your help.

One thing I still need to test is... if you get a sim pregnant, with all aging turned on, and then play with a different household, will the pregnancy progress? I somehow doubt it, but still need to test this to confirm it.
    "UR" is NOT a word, it's the sound stupid people make when they try to spell "You are".
  • Options
    haburbianhaburbian Posts: 281 Member
    Great review dude!
  • Options
    mwdonohuemwdonohue Posts: 3,307 Member
    UtaDagda wrote: »
    Haven't had one single route issue in my entire play time ((In fact they did some things better such as go a round Sims in their projected path and I was able to get multiple Sims through the door at the same time with out a hang up and then going all different directions. Sims all so followed little paths I create and stuff with out any issue.)). No bugs or glitches or lag either. No crashes.

OT but have you found your luchADORE yet?
  • Options
    netguystevenetguysteve Posts: 470 Member
    mwdonohue wrote: »
    Thankfully, there is a way to turn off the popups... If anything, that is the thing that bothers me the most.

Yeah, found out about the command line flag, but honestly, if they can't be bothered to include it inside the UI, I can't be bothered to adjust my opinion in regards to the excessive pop-ups.