Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why We're Never Likely To See Height Sliders in The Sims

Well, at least not in the foreseeable future. The problem is that height sliders would greatly increase the number of animations required for each interaction. Even if there were only three different heights, it would mean they would need nine times as many animations to cover all possible height combinations. They may be able to cheat a little and get that down as small as five times the number, by going by height difference instead of the actual height, and then scaling the animation. This would never look as smooth though.

If they increased the number of available heights to 5, well, now you're talking a bare minimum of nine, even going the economical route, and 25 for the best results. At 10, that goes to 19 at the lowest, and 100 for the best results.

The return on investment on something like that is astronomically low. It's just not worth the time that would be added to creating new content.
"UR" is NOT a word, it's the sound stupid people make when they try to spell "You are".

Comments

• Options
    SweetJealousySweetJealousy Posts: 362 Member
    I would just be satisfied with preset petite, normal and tall height selections if sliders is too difficult.
  • Options
    netguystevenetguysteve Posts: 470 Member
    edited August 2014
    But like I said, even just those three would mean they would need to create five times as many animation sets at the very least, nine times as many for the best results.

Using your three is an example, here is how the best case scenario would look...

Petite acting on petite
    Petite acting on normal
    Petite acting on tall.
    Normal acting on petite.
    Normal acting on normal.
    Normal acting on tall.
    Tall acting on petite.
    Tall acting on normal.
    Tall acting on tall.

Petite acting on normal and normal acting on petite would not be the same thing because the two sims are usually not doing the same animation. In fact, I can't really think of a case where they actually are doing the same thing in The Sims 3.

The simplified solution would look at the height difference. There are 5 different height differences in this case. Two heights shorter, one height shorter, the same height, one height taller, and two heights taller.

"UR" is NOT a word, it's the sound stupid people make when they try to spell "You are".
  • Options
    VampirspiegeleiVampirspiegelei Posts: 704 Member
    Agreed.

If anyone ever had a look at Second Life they know that Animations and poses can get awkward when your Avatar isn't a "normal" hight (which is something around 6-7 feet)

And considering the rant that broke loose about some clipping seen in some videos different heights are practically a no go or require like @netguysteve pointed out a large amount of work.
    ... jinkies oO
  • Options
    savkethekingsavketheking Posts: 184 Member
    If you could do height adjustments in Spore or Second Life, I'm pretty sure we will get it some day in The Sims
  • Options
    dark5id3dark5id3 Posts: 2,476 Member
    The modders gave us height sliders for sims 3 and the only issue I had with them was in the low sitting sports cars. My tall sim's head stuck through the roof of the car. I didn't have any problems with any other animations.
    2rxu2ph.png
  • Options
    SweetJealousySweetJealousy Posts: 362 Member
    Modders seem like better programmers sometimes... They know how to fix a lot of things and create things that people want.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Considering they didn't seem too concerned about clipping for TS4, they really should just make a height slider.

If they restricted it to something like +/-6" from the normal height (which would have minimal impact in terms of how the animations look), it would be better than no slider at all.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    dark5id3 wrote: »
    The modders gave us height sliders for sims 3 and the only issue I had with them was in the low sitting sports cars. My tall sim's head stuck through the roof of the car. I didn't have any problems with any other animations.

But if EA / Maxis had made those animations and there were obvious lack of "height adaptation" in animations, you woud have complained.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    dark5id3dark5id3 Posts: 2,476 Member
    dark5id3 wrote: »

But if EA / Maxis had made those animations and there were obvious lack of "height adaptation" in animations, you woud have complained.

I don't think you know me well enough to tell me what I would do. I never complained about sims 3. No one on the forums EVER saw me complaining about sims 3.

2rxu2ph.png
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    Hasn't his already been told to us?
  • Options
    chasecolinschasecolins Posts: 110 Member
    If they can't make animations scale with height, one fits all, that's their failures as developers, you don't need one different animation for each height that's so 🐸🐸🐸🐸. That's why there are maths in this world, but if you are only average in maths and coding, yes you would need an infinite number of animations for an infinite number of heights.
    It's ok to not be able to do that, we are all pro coders aren't we?
  • Options
    mulboromulboro Posts: 2,012 Member
    People have explained this before - it's not because they would have to create more animations. The correct way to go about this is to have the animations scale to the model. The devs don't do this for whatever reason and seem to create animations for a single model, which is an inferior and pretty stupid way to do it.
    What'd you just say??
    8d7.gif
  • Options
    chasecolinschasecolins Posts: 110 Member
    Yeah when I think about it some more, explain to me how in WoW there are buffs that increase size, and the animations still work. I mean just thinking about it baffles me. That game only works with one height or it all goes to hell. I'm even more angry that then they are saying that Sims 4 is being made with a solid revamped system "for years to come". New technology etc. My behind. This is as amateurish as ever before. If not more.
  • Options
    mulboro wrote: »
    People have explained this before - it's not because they would have to create more animations. The correct way to go about this is to have the animations scale to the model. The devs don't do this for whatever reason and seem to create animations for a single model, which is an inferior and pretty stupid way to do it.

It's because many of the animations also involve objects or other sims. Scaling an animation to the model addresses only how the animation looks in respect to THAT model, and thus still does not look right when the animation is also interacting with another object or Sim like is so often the case in this game.

i.e. the people explaining it haven't a clue beyond what they themselves have read on the internet.
  • Options
    JohnConnorJohnConnor Posts: 1,223 Member
    I definitely think that teen height should be reintroduced, but agree coding for thousands of height variants would be ridiculous. However, the old TS2 stretchspine cheat did allow small but significant height differences between sims that didn't through the animations off or cause clipping with clothes, etc, too much.
    9c1d242c-c6d4-48fa-a82e-53ea24a39377_zpse2967e49.jpg?t=1409877900
  • Options
    Stormkeep wrote: »

It's because many of the animations also involve objects or other sims. Scaling an animation to the model addresses only how the animation looks in respect to THAT model, and thus still does not look right when the animation is also interacting with another object or Sim like is so often the case in this game.

i.e. the people explaining it haven't a clue beyond what they themselves have read on the internet.
    Have you ever noticed when you, for example, have your mother sim hug their teen sim, that it's the same animation as adult to adult but the arm and handle placement is different? The devs already use this type of scaling and placement for many of the animations, but they say they can't do it with a height slider so they don't make one. Does that make sense?
    What'd you just say??
    8d7.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Have you ever noticed when you, for example, have your mother sim hug their teen sim, that it's the same animation as adult to adult but the arm and handle placement is different? The devs already use this type of scaling and placement for many of the animations, but they say they can't do it with a height slider so they don't make one. Does that make sense?

Yah I've noticed, but it is not the same animation scaled.

They made an animation specifically for the adult->teen interaction. You couldn't use normal scaling of the animation for this situation because two different sims are involved, both of which could be of varying heights. Well, you could, but it would be more complex than making a few separate animations when you're dealing with a limited number of variables.

Like I said, I do really think they should have a height slider, at least with a small degree of variation. It wouldn't muck up the animations much, and they clearly don't seem to care about clipping in TS4. But it IS animation expense that is the reason we don't have one (and the reason we have same-height teens I imagine). There is more to it then just "scaling" the animations; it is not nearly as simple and quick as some people who complain about it would have you believe.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Yah I've noticed, but it is not the same animation scaled. The made an animation specifically for the adult->teen interaction. You couldn't use normal scaling of the animation for this situation because two different sims are involved, both of which could be of varying heights.
    If thats true it brings me back to my original point - that they can't simply edit hand placement because they don't scale animations. I said it was an inferior process because they HAVE TO create different animations for things like teens to adults, when they could save time and effort by scaling animations and editing hand/limb placement.
    What'd you just say??
    8d7.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2014

ahh, yes. I get where you are coming from. But its not as simple as you seem to think it is. You can't just have the animations auto-scale in the game and auto-adjust the placement of arms, etc. relative to what they are interacting with and have things still look right.

Yes, when doing the hug animations they probably DID just scale the base adult->adult hug animation and make adjustments. But this work was done by the animators, AHEAD of time, and tweaked until it looked right to them. It takes time. Hence the limit how much of this work they have to do by limiting the number of heights they are dealing with.
  • Options

ahh, yes. I get where you are coming from. But its not as simple as you seem to think it is. You can't just have the animations auto-scale in the game and auto-adjust the placement of arms, etc. relative to what they are interacting with and have things still look right.

Yes, when doing the hug animations they probably DID just scale the base adult->adult hug animation and make adjustments. But this work was done by the animators, AHEAD of time, and tweaked until it looked right to them. It takes time. Hence the limit how much of this work they have to do by limiting the number of heights they are dealing with.
    Would it take extra time? Yes. Making a game takes time. EA isn't going to do it because they like to cut corners, no surprise there. I don't know why you are arguing that this isn't possible though, because its already been done. Heck, I downloaded a height mod for 3 and all the animations scaled for significantly shorter sims perfectly fine - the only one that didn't look right was sitting down in chairs.
    What'd you just say??
    8d7.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Would it take extra time? Yes. Making a game takes time. EA isn't going to do it because they like to cut corners, no surprise there. I don't know why you are arguing that this isn't possible though, because its already been done. Heck, I downloaded a height mod for 3 and all the animations scaled for significantly shorter sims perfectly fine - the only one that didn't look right was sitting down in chairs.

Because I understand project management requires responsible allocation of time resources and the need to complete a project within a reasonable time frame and expense.

And I understand that animation is one of the single most expensive aspects of game development.

And I understand that what people think "seems perfectly fine" for a mod would be analyzed and criticized harshly by a large portion of the player base if it was part of the actual game itself, thus what modders can get away with is greater than what the devs can get away with.

That being said, I do actually agree with you regarding the scaling of animations with the height mod for TS3. BUT, and it's a big but, if it was part of the game rather than just a mod we would have a ton of people zooming in and rotating the camera and finding every little bit of those animations that didn't look quite right. And they'd find a lot.

Which is basically my point regarding the fact they should have a height slider in TS4. The devs already are getting criticism regarding clipping, so that last point hardly matters. That doesn't mean I don't also understand the developers point of view and why they made the decisions they do.

I'm not really disagreeing with you in any of my above posts... I guess I'm just pointing out it isn't as cut and dry or as simple as some people think it is. At the end of the day, we actually do agree that the devs SHOULD have done things differently and given us more height variability. Where we disagree is on the motivation for that lack of choice and just how "lazy" it makes the devs for not giving it to us. :)
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    Well, at least not in the foreseeable future.

3rd party modders did it for Sims2 and Sims3. They will no doubt do it for this one too.
    Fix what EA messed up.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options

Because I understand project management requires responsible allocation of time resources and the need to complete a project within a reasonable time frame and expense.

And I understand that animation is one of the single most expensive aspects of game development.

And I understand that what people think "seems perfectly fine" for a mod would be analyzed and criticized harshly by a large portion of the player base if it was part of the actual game itself, thus what modders can get away with is greater than what the devs can get away with.

That being said, I do actually agree with you regarding the scaling of animations with the height mod for TS3. BUT, and it's a big but, if it was part of the game rather than just a mod we would have a ton of people zooming in and rotating the camera and finding every little bit of those animations that didn't look quite right. And they'd find a lot.

Which is basically my point regarding the fact they should have a height slider in TS4. The devs already are getting criticism regarding clipping, so that last point hardly matters. That doesn't mean I don't also understand the developers point of view and why they made the decisions they do.

I'm not really disagreeing with you in any of my above posts... I guess I'm just pointing out it isn't as cut and dry or as simple as some people think it is. At the end of the day, we actually do agree that the devs SHOULD have done things differently and given us more height variability. Where we disagree is on the motivation for that lack of choice and just how "lazy" it makes the devs for not giving it to us. :)
    Oh I'm not disputing any of that. Never said it was easy or that it wouldn't take time. That was never my point, only that it is VERY possible even though people think it isn't because "they would have to create more animations for every height". That simply isn't the case, there is more than one way to go about it. True that the devs could have used more time on the whole project, never mind just to add height options - no argument there.
    Anyway, we both more or less think the same thing so we can call this a day. :)
    What'd you just say??
    8d7.gif
  • Options
    Zolt65 wrote: »

3rd party modders did it for Sims2 and Sims3. They will no doubt do it for this one too.
    Fix what EA messed up.

I'm hoping for a mod that adds that feature and lets you automatically scale down teens by a pre-set amount.

I hated when I would have my adult sims in TS3 start to chat up a person with the goal of romantic interest only to find out it's a freaking teen. Even with some variance it was not always obvious to me when I first started playing the game.
  • Options
    CapraCorn104CapraCorn104 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Zolt65 wrote: »

Fix what EA messed up.
    Yeah, but with the amount of time that it takes to make that height slider, and the fact that EA already gave Maxis a tight schedule? I just don't see them doing it.