Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The reason I am not getting the Sim4 right away...it's a little different from the ones I've seen

DreamOperatorDreamOperator Posts: 241 Member
So what is the gameplay of the Sims4? Make sims and give them jobs, hobbies, friends and family...right? I can already do that (and have done that since 2006) with the Sims2 and 3. I see the same jobs and skill sets (with a couple of new ones thrown in...but most are repeats). So I can make an athletic sim or an artistic sim? I've had those sims for eight years running now. So sims have emotions now? They've had those since the Sims2...(Sims2 sims were better at showing them than their Sims3 cousins. ;) ). I made the switch over to Sims3 when it came out because I felt that the open neighborhood was a big step up from lot by lot play and it remains one of my favorite things about the Sims3. I don't see any big hook like that in the Sims4. I'm going to keep an eye on the Sims4 and see what kind of EPs it comes out with. Right now though I have a very much, "been there, done that" attitude about it.

TL;DR: Basically it boils down to this...right now I am playing a fully loaded and modded to my taste version of Sims3. The Sims4 is lacking that "OMG...this feature is so awesome, that I will abandon my mature and modded neighborhood of beloved sims to play the lacking base game" hook right now.

Comments

• Options
    HappyGeniusHappyGenius Posts: 167 Member
    Well, thats fair enough. Its great that you have a game modded and customed to the exact way you like it and you dont feel like a new game would improve on that. I think a lot of players dont feel like that and really struggle to have a set up they feel happy with in 2 and 3. Personally, i find 3 boring and the shiny new 4 is tempting me, lol, but i think each to their own. None of us really know what it will be like and how the game will improve our playing. We'll all know in a few weeks and i think, only then, we can really discuss how we feel and whether we found it was worth buying!
    Keep on simmin' :D
  • Options
    kc7597kc7597 Posts: 14 New Member
    I understand where you're coming from - you're actually making me think a lot now! I played Sims 2 and 3, and I prefer Sims 2 better because I feel like they put more time into the game, specifically activities for your sims to do and all the different NPCs that make the game. Sims 3 for me felt like it was rushed or something, and to make the game fun I have to add mods. The only cool thing Sims 3 has that Sims 2 doesn't have is open world, mostly because in Sims 2 I barely ever left the house because I wouldn't be able to play all my Sims at the same time sometimes, and the time that you leave to another lot (say 7:00) when you get back, you return to the original time (7:00). Sims 3 made me feel more comfortable in a way to adventure without worrying about my other Sims. Sims 4 looks very similar to Sims 3 in the way sims move (besides walk styles) and they really don't seem to show THAT much emotion than what you could already do in both Sims 2 & 3. I hope they do add things into the game with updates and expansion packs (like they did in Sims 3....) and maybe I'll be a little bit more happier with the game.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Yeah i loved the game play in 2. The sims were better, there was better situations, the sims were funnier, there was more to do and it was just filled with good game play. Sims 3 was just plain boring. They were like robots and nothing funny or exciting ever happened and thats what makes me look forward to 4. Sims 3 felt very stripped back and lacking in something. Once you were rich and reached the top of your career and had a family, that was really it. 4 seems to have incorporated good bits of both of the games. I know they have left out a ton of stuff but a pool and toddlers, to me, wont really effect my over all game play. Im looking forward to sims that actually create their own situations and look forward to sims that are effected by everyone else and the atmosphere around them. Youre better off to wait and read the reviews and come on here on the 2nd! You'll get all the information you need,lol. Although I still dont think reading reviews can make up someones mind. Its all about personal experience and what you get from playing the game :D
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    Well said, OP. I too have not seen anything in TS4 to entice me to buy. I'd hoped for the best of TS2 plus the best of TS3, plus some new groundbreaking features. Ain't happening.
  • Options
    allisoneg02allisoneg02 Posts: 2,870 Member
    Part of my issue with 3 is that even with a good gaming PC I still have lag, crashes and freezing which makes my game a headache to play. I'm glad for some they are still having enough fun with 2 & 3 they don't feel they need to move on. I even wanted to wait until the first or second EP and buy it on sale but I've been bitten by the bug and I really can't wait to try out the new features. I will be keeping my other games installed though because I have put a lot of time and effort into them and if I'm feeling nostalgic I can always go back and play them when I want to :)
    - Check out my youtube channel and my sims 4 legacy on tumblr-
    alliesim02
    The Scott Legacy
  • Options
    LightestsLightests Posts: 853 Member
    edited August 2014
    i personally cant play the sims 3 anymore .. after seeing and reading what you can do in the sims 4, sims 3 seems WAY too robotic (i had more fun with the sims 2 more than 3 too :s ) i cant play sims 2 either because of the graphics and the robotic feel

edit: the lag and the corruption in TS3 is TERRIBLE! another reason on my list
    tumblr_n4lzmoWGk41s7cn3go1_400.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Lightests wrote: »
    i personally cant play the sims 3 anymore .. after seeing and reading what you can do in the sims 4, sims 3 seems WAY too robotic (i had more fun with the sims 2 more than 3 too :s ) i cant play sims 2 either because of the graphics and the robotic feel

I tried playing 3 the other day, took ages making a sim and building a house. 5 minutes into playing i got so bored, i switched off! lol. I need 4 now!
  • Options
    LightestsLightests Posts: 853 Member
    I tried playing 3 the other day, took ages making a sim and building a house. % minutes into playing i got so bored, i switched off! lol. I need 4 now!

yea it really s.ucks D: but some people for some reason have no problems playing for some reason. i have a GeForce GTX 650 Ti and TS3 loading screens are ridiculously long (minutes at least). TS4 loading screens load in a matter of seconds so i'm excited~

tumblr_n4lzmoWGk41s7cn3go1_400.gif
  • Options
    harobed7756harobed7756 Posts: 83 Member
    Basically it boils down to this...right now I am playing a fully loaded and modded to my taste version of Sims3. The Sims4 is lacking that "OMG...this feature is so awesome, that I will abandon my mature and modded neighborhood of beloved sims to play the lacking base game" hook right now.

I generally agree with this except that I don't see anything lacking in the Sims 4. To me, it's an entirely new game, not an extension or update of the Sims 3. It could be years before there are enough EPs and mods to give it the depth Sims 3 has now and I don't expect a base game to have anything more than the bare essentials.

However, I expect the Sims 4 to evolve into something entirely different from Sims 3. Younger generations relate to (and make decisions based on) how they feel about things more so than workaholic, mission-oriented older generations. If EA is looking to recreate how people actually live, then the emotions-based motives might make a lot of sense for younger new players. In other words, maybe they're addressing an entirely new generation of players.

In any event, I really don't have a horse in this race. It doesn't make sense to draw conclusions on the Sims 4 until I can read what people have to say about actually playing it for a while. In the meantime, with so much time and $$$ invested in tweaking TS3, I'm content with it, except that there will be no more new EPs.