Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Here is What the Forums really need

Ok Ive been doing some thinking on what I think is needed around here. Ive been reading other posts about stopping new members from posting or posting in general places except tech support. At 1st I was like yeah good idea Im tired of seeing trolls pictures all over the forums. But then after reading more posts I changed my mind. I dont think its fair to punish all new members because of one sick troll. So heres what I think this site needs.

1) better moderation and maybe more mods that can deal with the trolls early on and so the mods we have now wont have to be over worked trying to stop this.
2) an ignore button so we have an option top ignore people who harrass us.
3) The flag button should be made to where you have to give a reason for why you are flagging instead of just saying spam but why is it spam and that it only goes to the mods.
4) there should be no flag count on peoples profiles. That only encouraged trolls to flag posts to make a user look bad.
5) there should be a way that users can hide their stats if they dont want other people to know how many disagrees or agrees they have. Or the disagree count needs to be hidden in profiles. Not saying to remove the ability to disagree but to make it so its not publicly displayed.

People have the right to disagree with you but it shouldnt have to be openly on your profile. The only reason I feel this needs to be done is because people are abusing the disagree and flag buttons. And the site needs to be more moderated so people cant post dirty pictures because no one no matter how old you are should have to see this on a sims site.
my origin id is simkitten87

Im a simmer forever <3

Comments

• Options
    plopppoplopppo Posts: 5,031 Member
    edited August 2014
    I while back, I read that Crinitic (? the one that helps people) had volunteered ages ago and was turned down to be a volunteer mod.

I think they need someone like that - even if it is just locking threads, but not banning people.

EDIT:
    Crinrict is what they are called.
  • Options
    alyssasim87alyssasim87 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Thats a good idea. The more help the better. That would be nice if people could help out.
    my origin id is simkitten87

Im a simmer forever <3
  • Options
    StoreAccountStoreAccount Posts: 1,504 Member
    Very nice ideas sweetie. :kissing_heart:
  • Options
    plopppoplopppo Posts: 5,031 Member
    edited August 2014
    I'm not sure how correct that story/rumour is/was - I'm pretty sure it was Crinrict.

It's more a case of moderators in time-zones really - not just one who is there for 5 hours out of 24 hours. They may already have 10 moderators who are all in the same time-zone.
  • Options
    youmnaboufaryoumnaboufar Posts: 127 Member
    i totally agree with you!specially when you said that we don't have to punish all the new members of one sick troll.
  • Options
    robotpanda34robotpanda34 Posts: 3,387 Member
    Nice ideas!
  • Options
    bamcam30bamcam30 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Right now, our forum (http://simchat.boards.net/) is currently getting moderators to keep a tight lookout on the forum and the members we have so far are really friendly!
  • Options
    lym81lym81 Posts: 341 Member
    There's already a ignore button, it's in the user profile.
  • Options
    lym81 wrote: »
    Yes but it messed up the forum badly
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    lym81 wrote: »
    Yes but it messed up the forum badly

I don't use this feature. How did it mess up the forum?

• Options
    YellowJaneYellowJane Posts: 6,589 Member
    I don't think it's punishing them, it's really just keeping the cap on. Then they can earn the right to post fully, which they can do relatively quickly if they're active :)
  • Options
    JaLeeReneeJaLeeRenee Posts: 11 New Member
    Better moderation itself would work. Having one consolidate threads and deleting the harassing posts would help immensely. They need to completely take the flagging out. If there was better moderation it wouldn't be needed anyway.
  • Options
    JohnConnorJohnConnor Posts: 1,223 Member
    Ignore works like Block in Twitter. Harassers can continue posting replies to your postings, but you can't see them to flag what's provocative or otherwise inappropriate. Everyone else can though. Seems like a good way to shoot yourself in the foot.
    9c1d242c-c6d4-48fa-a82e-53ea24a39377_zpse2967e49.jpg?t=1409877900
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    @JohnConnor Thanks for the explanation.
  • Options
    THere should be unlimited ignore and make the ignore button better
  • Options
    Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    As a community we should be self policing but sadly there are always those to spoil it. So I think the flag button being used without good reason more than three times means the simmer is banned. Exactly how long for is not for me to decide but long enough to act as a deterrent would be sensible.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but if you disagree with someone you should be prepared to say why. Hopefully this will deter the stalkers.

As for new members the way they are treated demonstrates lack of trust. While we have a few who spoil the Forum the vast majority are sensible and have valid points to make, not to mention being part of the community on the old site :)
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Options
    smoogiesmoogie Posts: 2,374 Member
    I have had a couple of 'Abuse' tags given to me but when was I abusive?
  • Options
    thesims3andtwothesims3andtwo Posts: 4,643 Member
    @smoogie

Calling people who like TS4 stupid comes to mind.