Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Explain the emotions...

I've read through the list of features that aren't being included and I have to say I'm quite shocked that this game hasn't been delayed following the fan reactions.

Anyway, Maxis keep pushing the emotions concept but I just cannot get my head around how it is any different from moodlets.

Can anyone enlighten me? Sims will be smarter (apparently) and have more personality (meaning new animations). But emotions...They've been there for a long time. When sims would enter the same room as an enemy or catch their spouse in bed with another sim or experience grief following the death of a friend or family member - sims would emote in the exact same way I've seen them express their feelings in The Sims 4.

Emotions are meant to have an impact on other aspects of the gameplay but I am failing to see how this goes beyond some minor benefits such as allowing a sim to work out for longer or enjoy certain activiites more while in a certain mood than a different sim with different traits.

It seems like the most bizarre thing to use to say that this is the next generation The Sims experience.

For me, it was the beginning of the end when they showed the first screenshots/footage and confirmed there wouldn't be curved walls. I thought 'Are you still claiming some of the simplest things are too complicated for your simulation?' Since then, all I've seen is: The Sims 4 is missing _____ / won't include: _____

When The Sims 3 came out, we were angry about features it lacked then too. No one paid attention (probably because we just bought thousands of copies of the same expansion packs we already owned)...Oops.

Comments

• Options
    PsychYourMind08PsychYourMind08 Posts: 3,464 Member
    edited August 2014
    From my POV, as someone who's never actually played the game and looking at basic gameplay, the emotions seem kind of like the traits system to me, where if you are in a certain "mood" (angry, sad, happy, w/e) you will get special interactions based on the mood your sim feels and can do certain activities (push-ups to release anger)

Someone else can either verify or correct me, but that's how I interpreted it.

IMO they aren't really good enough to justify the asking price of this game or to be considered the highlight/upgrade for The Sims (in the same way generations, aging, open worlds and story progression were)
  • Options
    crizzlecrizzle Posts: 149 Member
    edited August 2014
    Thanks for the info.

I feel like they could have fixed The Sims 3 engine, made it a bit prettier and made a base game for The Sims 4 which incorporated aspects of all the TS3 expansion packs. Seasonal aspects of Seasons (including weather). Pets. Generations. Late Night etc...

Have as much of that content in the game and have each expansion build upon all of those elements. Come up with new ideas that develop every facet of your Sims life. If I planned on buying The Sims 4, I would be sick of buying the same expansion packs all over again.
  • Options
    joneswkjoneswk Posts: 270 Member
    edited August 2014
    From the bits and pieces I've pieced together it may work something like this: In TS3 your sim's mood was a combination of needs and moodlets and would be in a continuum between two points. You could therefore have a sim who hated children and art be surrounded by children and pictures and still be elated, at least theoretically. The gameplay effect of that would be essentially null save for some animations unless the sim was given free will. In TS4 that sim would be very angry and even without free will the "very angry" status would provide different interactions, although more neutral interactions would also be available.

I think it may also effect the relationship between emotions and needs, but I'm not sure.

Funny that none of the gurus have bothered to expound a bit more on it.
  • Options
    Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member
    edited August 2014
    crizzle wrote:
    I've read through the list of features that aren't being included and I have to say I'm quite shocked that this game hasn't been delayed following the fan reactions.

Anyway, Maxis keep pushing the emotions concept but I just cannot get my head around how it is any different from moodlets.

Can anyone enlighten me? Sims will be smarter (apparently) and have more personality (meaning new animations). But emotions...They've been there for a long time.

Just remember what Graham said about them "Well… ok, maybe we did a convincing job selling that fiction in previous games, but truly your Sims haven’t had anything like this before."
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    joneswk wrote:
    From the bits and pieces I've pieced together it may work something like this: In TS3 your sim's mood was a combination of needs and moodlets and would be in a continuum between two points. You could therefore have a sim who hated children and art be surrounded by children and pictures and still be elated, at least theoretically. The gameplay effect of that would be essentially null save for some animations unless the sim was given free will. In TS4 that sim would be very angry and even without free will the "very angry" status would provide different interactions, although more neutral interactions would also be available.

I think it may also effect the relationship between emotions and needs, but I'm not sure.

Funny that none of the gurus have bothered to expound a bit more on it.

If what you're describing is true, then it's already flawed. I witnessed how an angry sim (in one demo) went from being very angry to being "flirty" after an interaction with a different sim. The emotions were changing all the time, making them glorified moodlets in my opinion. If being in an environment that a sim finds grating (as you described) can be fixed by doing some push ups. What is the point?

Ha. I was expecting so much from The Sims 4 all the way through The Sims 3. I kept thinking (over all these years) 'Yeah, the next game will fix everything. There'll be some truly wonderful tools and wonderfully intelligent and amusing sims.'

This game looks like a spin off title.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    crizzle wrote:

Can anyone enlighten me? Sims will be smarter (apparently) and have more personality (meaning new animations). But emotions...They've been there for a long time.

Just remember what Graham said about them "Well… ok, maybe we did a convincing job selling that fiction in previous games, but truly your Sims haven’t had anything like this before."

Haha.

No, what the Sims haven't had anything like, before, is decent developers. Not since Will Wright was in charge and made these games from the ground up with care, love for the fans and attention to detail.

He cared about innovation.
  • Options
    InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    edited August 2014
    crizzle wrote:
    crizzle wrote:

Haha.

No, what the Sims haven't had anything like, before, is decent developers. Not since Will Wright was in charge and made these games from the ground up with care, love for the fans and attention to detail.

He cared about innovation.

Yeah shame EA isn't the same.
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • Options
    PsychYourMind08PsychYourMind08 Posts: 3,464 Member
    edited August 2014
    Does anyone know of a place that has all of the members who worked on each game? IIRC, Sims 1 had "credits" in the game menu. Not sure if TS2 or 3 did, or if these is a list compiled somewhere.

I'd love to compare and see who worked on which game, and if any of the original members are still on the team.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Does anyone know of a place that has all of the members who worked on each game? IIRC, Sims 1 had "credits" in the game menu. Not sure if TS2 or 3 did, or if these is a list compiled somewhere.

I'd love to compare and see who worked on which game, and if any of the original members are still on the team.

I believe the credits for 2 and 3 are in the options/settings menu.

Bear in mind that The Sims 3 wasn't developed by Maxis. It was an EA team and then eventually they slapped the Maxis logo on some of the later expansion packs. From what I can tell The Sims 4 has team members who worked on The Sims 4 but have been called members of Maxis now. So I don't know whether there was a shake up or not.

I'm sure someone on this forum will have more knowledge on this than I do.